Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wasted money that could have been used better? 03:19 - Mar 31 with 1848 viewsharlingblue

We have wasted money on injury prone players, Coke, Best, Williams, Taylor, when we could have bought a real striker and creative midfielder, the two positions that we have been crying out for.
Wasted money that could have been used better? on 05:07 - Mar 31 with 1796 viewsBenters

Hang on a minute i thought they were known as 'Gems'

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Wasted money that could have been used better? on 07:03 - Mar 31 with 1721 viewsCat_ITFC

Coke always appeared to be an odd signing but will admit to being at least interested verging on excited at the others.

With us having little to spend I think we should be looking at the Scottish market as there is a lot of value to be had north of the border. (maybe we do have people there I don't know)

Liam Lindsay has delivered this season for Partick Thistle and is a prime example of what could be snapped up. David Amoo - also at Thistle - is available on a free this summer and could be a worthy gamble by a club largely due to his pace, been predominantly a sub this year due to a system change.

There are others up here as well that could cut it, or at the very least be a cheaper gamble.
Wasted money that could have been used better? on 07:09 - Mar 31 with 1712 viewsReuser_is_God

Knudsen

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Wasted money that could have been used better? on 07:13 - Mar 31 with 1701 viewstaximan

Wasted money that could have been used better? on 05:07 - Mar 31 by Benters

Hang on a minute i thought they were known as 'Gems'

what about mings ?
Wasted money that could have been used better? on 10:51 - Mar 31 with 1537 viewsGuthrum

How much money have we 'wasted' on those players and could we have afforded a (not equally injury prone) striker and creative midfielder for the same amount? I doubt it, seeing as Best and Williams were the most we could come up with at the time.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Wasted money that could have been used better? on 11:02 - Mar 31 with 1509 viewsMJallday

im not sure we've wasted any money to be honest, given we've spent precisely f**k all (in the scheme of things)

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Wasted money that could have been used better? on 12:35 - Mar 31 with 1446 viewsTractorWood

Wasted money that could have been used better? on 10:51 - Mar 31 by Guthrum

How much money have we 'wasted' on those players and could we have afforded a (not equally injury prone) striker and creative midfielder for the same amount? I doubt it, seeing as Best and Williams were the most we could come up with at the time.

I thought we were only paying for Williams when he was fit? Club seem to imply different things when asked different questions.

Also a fraction of the of the c. £2.5m+ we wasted on Cameron Stewart over 3 years.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2017 12:38]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Wasted money that could have been used better? on 12:38 - Mar 31 with 1431 viewsLankHenners

Wasted money that could have been used better? on 12:35 - Mar 31 by TractorWood

I thought we were only paying for Williams when he was fit? Club seem to imply different things when asked different questions.

Also a fraction of the of the c. £2.5m+ we wasted on Cameron Stewart over 3 years.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2017 12:38]

We were when he first signed - i.e. didn't start paying for him until he could play - but not sure it works if he then gets injured again as he's injured whilst playing for us rather than arriving injured having picked up the injury elsewhere.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Login to get fewer ads

Wasted money that could have been used better? on 12:41 - Mar 31 with 1412 viewsKieran_Knows

Wasted money that could have been used better? on 07:03 - Mar 31 by Cat_ITFC

Coke always appeared to be an odd signing but will admit to being at least interested verging on excited at the others.

With us having little to spend I think we should be looking at the Scottish market as there is a lot of value to be had north of the border. (maybe we do have people there I don't know)

Liam Lindsay has delivered this season for Partick Thistle and is a prime example of what could be snapped up. David Amoo - also at Thistle - is available on a free this summer and could be a worthy gamble by a club largely due to his pace, been predominantly a sub this year due to a system change.

There are others up here as well that could cut it, or at the very least be a cheaper gamble.

Agree with this. Some good players in Scotland, even more so if you can get them before the likes of Celtic and Rangers do.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Wasted money that could have been used better? on 12:57 - Mar 31 with 1389 viewsclive_baker

Does anyone have an exhaustive list of Mick's signings since he's been here? I think it's a bit of a myth that he's bought well and raided the bargain bucket for 'gems'. Admittedly he's been shopping on a lambrini budget but it's pretty rare he's come home with anything other than cheap plonk. A few notable exceptions - Bart, Chambers, Berra, Mings, Sears arguably, Skuse (not my cup of tea but some rate him).

For every one of those there must be 5-10 flops.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Wasted money that could have been used better? on 13:03 - Mar 31 with 1354 viewsLankHenners

Wasted money that could have been used better? on 12:57 - Mar 31 by clive_baker

Does anyone have an exhaustive list of Mick's signings since he's been here? I think it's a bit of a myth that he's bought well and raided the bargain bucket for 'gems'. Admittedly he's been shopping on a lambrini budget but it's pretty rare he's come home with anything other than cheap plonk. A few notable exceptions - Bart, Chambers, Berra, Mings, Sears arguably, Skuse (not my cup of tea but some rate him).

Equally, how many managers could pick out a 'gem' every single time when shopping in the bargain basement without picking up a few duds? I'd wager on the answer being zero.

What Mick managed on the budget he had was close to miraculous, just a shame Evans didn't see it that way and thought it was a sustainable strategy for success.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Wasted money that could have been used better? on 13:04 - Mar 31 with 1342 viewsKieran_Knows

Wasted money that could have been used better? on 12:57 - Mar 31 by clive_baker

Whilst I do tend to agree, the fact that Mick has been shopping in the basement bin means he does have to take a 'punt' on players which maybe will never/have been up to scratch, and by doing that, you're never always going to pick out the same quality as the likes of Bart, Berra, Sears etc each time.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Wasted money that could have been used better? on 13:05 - Mar 31 with 1336 viewsclive_baker

Wasted money that could have been used better? on 11:02 - Mar 31 by MJallday

im not sure we've wasted any money to be honest, given we've spent precisely f**k all (in the scheme of things)

You say that, but we're often told by the business how much we're spending on wages relative to other clubs, and that it's highly competitive in the context of this division. Not that that's ever aligned to Mick's 'plucky over achiever' rhetoric tbf. It seems everyone we play is paying 'silly money'.

Wasted money that could have been used better? on 13:17 - Mar 31 with 1294 viewsclive_baker

Wasted money that could have been used better? on 13:03 - Mar 31 by LankHenners

Equally, how many managers could pick out a 'gem' every single time when shopping in the bargain basement without picking up a few duds? I'd wager on the answer being zero.

What Mick managed on the budget he had was close to miraculous, just a shame Evans didn't see it that way and thought it was a sustainable strategy for success.

I don't think anyone expects 100%, but his hit rate is pretty poor imo.

The frustration for me is when we seem intent on signing a high volume of bang average players (probably on modest salaries to be fair) that are literally no better than the yoofs we already have. I don't believe for a second, and I'm just thinking off the top of my head, that players like Coke, Toure, Foley and Moore have been, or were ever likely to be any better than the likes of Emmanuel, Dozzell, Bishop, Marriott etc etc. There's probably £10k p/w there. I know it's easy in hindsight - Moore could've been the Mings, and vice versa, but a high number of our signings aren't young gambles who are worth a punt, a lot are plodders who have been around long enough, and cast off by lesser teams than us enough times to suggest they probably aren't an improvement on what we have already.

Wasted money that could have been used better? on 13:18 - Mar 31 with 1282 viewshoppy

In answer to the OP, I guess this season I could arguably say my season ticket direct debit money.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024