Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hang on mick 16:26 - Apr 3 with 2506 viewsFrimleyBlue

Abuse pretty much since he signed....

Really have we?

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Hang on mick on 16:28 - Apr 3 with 1959 viewsJ2BLUE

From a section he has yes.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Hang on mick on 16:30 - Apr 3 with 1951 viewsCaptainObvious

Unless i've misread it, that quote is in the interviewer's question, not the manager's response. Bit cosy for my liking i have to admit.

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

Hang on mick on 16:30 - Apr 3 with 1952 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

I remember the general mood being incredibly positive.

We'd replaced the likes of SHunt and/or Tabb with an experienced central midfielder with a good goal scoring record and part of a successful Brentford side that had finished above us the season before. And of a Free! All things seen as a positive.

He has never really excelled here but I think the abuse built after a dozen or so matches of what was a poor season.
Hang on mick on 16:31 - Apr 3 with 1932 viewsFrimleyBlue

Hang on mick on 16:28 - Apr 3 by J2BLUE

From a section he has yes.

I dont think it was was it? Quite a positive signing.

Until we saw him in action alongside skuse

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Hang on mick on 16:32 - Apr 3 with 1922 viewsKieran_Knows

Hang on mick on 16:30 - Apr 3 by King_of_Portman_Rd

We'd replaced the likes of SHunt and/or Tabb with an experienced central midfielder with a good goal scoring record and part of a successful Brentford side that had finished above us the season before. And of a Free! All things seen as a positive.

He has never really excelled here but I think the abuse built after a dozen or so matches of what was a poor season.

This.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Hang on mick on 16:33 - Apr 3 with 1915 viewsJ2BLUE

Hang on mick on 16:31 - Apr 3 by FrimleyBlue

I dont think it was was it? Quite a positive signing.

Until we saw him in action alongside skuse

My bad, thought it was about MM himself. Comment withdrawn.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Hang on mick on 18:20 - Apr 3 with 1803 viewsGuthrum

Hang on mick on 16:30 - Apr 3 by King_of_Portman_Rd

That's pretty much how I recall it.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Hang on mick on 19:54 - Apr 3 with 1756 viewsPhilTWTD

That was me, not Mick. Don't think that's unfair. He got stick/a lot of the blame after he had come off the bench and Town allowed a 2-0 lead to slip on his debut at Brentford and I don't think things ever improved much from there before getting significantly worse this season.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Login to get fewer ads

Hang on mick on 20:00 - Apr 3 with 1714 viewsBackToRussia

Hang on mick on 19:54 - Apr 3 by PhilTWTD

That was me, not Mick. Don't think that's unfair. He got stick/a lot of the blame after he had come off the bench and Town allowed a 2-0 lead to slip on his debut at Brentford and I don't think things ever improved much from there before getting significantly worse this season.

This post has been edited by an administrator

If there was criticism from the start it was because it was clear he just wasn't up to the Championship physically any more. If you can't keep up with the game it doesn't matter what other qualities you may show.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Hang on mick on 20:02 - Apr 3 with 1706 viewsPhilTWTD

Hang on mick on 20:00 - Apr 3 by BackToRussia

If there was criticism from the start it was because it was clear he just wasn't up to the Championship physically any more. If you can't keep up with the game it doesn't matter what other qualities you may show.

Isn't the bigger criticism that he doesn't do much with the ball? The thing he does do is get about the pitch.
Hang on mick on 20:04 - Apr 3 with 1688 viewsBackToRussia

Hang on mick on 20:02 - Apr 3 by PhilTWTD

Isn't the bigger criticism that he doesn't do much with the ball? The thing he does do is get about the pitch.

He gets about the pitch, whether that's in an effective manner is another thing. If you're a yard off the pace, you may as well be on the bench.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Hang on mick on 20:06 - Apr 3 with 1682 viewsReuser_is_God

Yeah, about half a yard away from his opponent.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Hang on mick on 20:12 - Apr 3 with 1647 viewsTrequartista

The sprinkler system gets about the pitch but I wouldn't select it in central midfield.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Hang on mick on 20:13 - Apr 3 with 1639 viewsPhilTWTD

Hang on mick on 20:04 - Apr 3 by BackToRussia

He gets about the pitch, whether that's in an effective manner is another thing. If you're a yard off the pace, you may as well be on the bench.

While he's certainly not the quickest, and probably never was, he does tend to be around the action at both ends. But not involved in it with the ball enough to warrant his place, for me anyway. Still no excuse for the scapegoating, though.
Hang on mick on 20:18 - Apr 3 with 1617 viewsBackToRussia

Hang on mick on 20:13 - Apr 3 by PhilTWTD

While he's certainly not the quickest, and probably never was, he does tend to be around the action at both ends. But not involved in it with the ball enough to warrant his place, for me anyway. Still no excuse for the scapegoating, though.

What does scapegoating mean in this instance then? There are clearly systemic problems with the team but Douglas is symptomatic of these - it's completely understandable why people are frustrated with his selection and performances, especially when they're continually told by the manager that he's a standout performer.... but not worth another contract.

In other clubs he would have faced way worse criticism. It's football, people yell at the players. At Ipswich players get a fairly easy ride. What do you think would happen if Douglas rocked up at Millwall and put performances in like he has here? He'd have to move country.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Hang on mick on 20:33 - Apr 3 with 1568 viewsPhilTWTD

Hang on mick on 20:18 - Apr 3 by BackToRussia

What does scapegoating mean in this instance then? There are clearly systemic problems with the team but Douglas is symptomatic of these - it's completely understandable why people are frustrated with his selection and performances, especially when they're continually told by the manager that he's a standout performer.... but not worth another contract.

In other clubs he would have faced way worse criticism. It's football, people yell at the players. At Ipswich players get a fairly easy ride. What do you think would happen if Douglas rocked up at Millwall and put performances in like he has here? He'd have to move country.

He's not been great by any means but there's never a lack of effort and there have been far worse players. He seems to have become a focus for the frustrations with the manager, which I don't think is fair, regardless of his performances.

It also doesn't reflect very well on the club. Players talk to one another and I think if I was a player weighing up offers from various sides I'd think twice about coming to a club where one of my mates has been treated the way JD has been here.
Hang on mick on 20:41 - Apr 3 with 1540 viewsSomethingBlue

Hang on mick on 20:18 - Apr 3 by BackToRussia

I think we're wildly overstating how bad Douglas, as an individual, has been. It's disappointing; you'd think people could do better but you very quickly come to see who doesn't really know football.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Hang on mick on 20:43 - Apr 3 with 1520 viewsBackToRussia

Hang on mick on 20:41 - Apr 3 by SomethingBlue

I think we're wildly overstating how bad Douglas, as an individual, has been. It's disappointing; you'd think people could do better but you very quickly come to see who doesn't really know football.

O, so you know football? Good to know, I'll just listen to you in future.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Hang on mick on 20:45 - Apr 3 with 1511 viewsBackToRussia

Hang on mick on 20:33 - Apr 3 by PhilTWTD

He's not been great by any means but there's never a lack of effort and there have been far worse players. He seems to have become a focus for the frustrations with the manager, which I don't think is fair, regardless of his performances.

It also doesn't reflect very well on the club. Players talk to one another and I think if I was a player weighing up offers from various sides I'd think twice about coming to a club where one of my mates has been treated the way JD has been here.

But as I said, the criticism has been mild in football terms. Footballers know the score. The idea that ITFC would get a bad rep just because Douglas got booed a few times is a big exaggeration IMO. Certainly a player wouldn't change his mind on a move because of it.

ITFC has a solid reputation as a sleepy little place where you get time to prove yourself, one player getting some grief isn't going to change that even slightly I wouldn't have thought.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Hang on mick on 21:02 - Apr 3 with 1475 viewsSomethingBlue

Hang on mick on 20:45 - Apr 3 by BackToRussia

But as I said, the criticism has been mild in football terms. Footballers know the score. The idea that ITFC would get a bad rep just because Douglas got booed a few times is a big exaggeration IMO. Certainly a player wouldn't change his mind on a move because of it.

ITFC has a solid reputation as a sleepy little place where you get time to prove yourself, one player getting some grief isn't going to change that even slightly I wouldn't have thought.

I think it's actually a bit of a thing in recent years that the Town crowd have become known as one that gets on individuals' backs. Even young AMN last year to a lesser extent. Word gets around. People might learn to help themselves.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Hang on mick on 21:04 - Apr 3 with 1458 viewsWicklowBlue

Hang on mick on 20:33 - Apr 3 by PhilTWTD

Is it not playing him beside Skuse which has focused attention on him? That is down to Micks team selection and focus on protecting the back four and more recently back five. We are just too focused on being destructive in midfield.

Plenty of fans have called out Skuse for lack of forward progression, playing Douglas beside him just kills off any go forward threat we have in midfield. But this is not a new problem we haven't had a midfielder to hold the ball and pass forwards in years.
Hang on mick on 21:04 - Apr 3 with 1458 viewsPhilTWTD

Hang on mick on 21:02 - Apr 3 by SomethingBlue

I think it's actually a bit of a thing in recent years that the Town crowd have become known as one that gets on individuals' backs. Even young AMN last year to a lesser extent. Word gets around. People might learn to help themselves.

Think it goes back a few years now, Scowy had an awful time of it when he was coming through (people actually handed out 'Scowcroft 10 get off!' flyers outside the ground), Matt Richards was another, even Tommy Smith got an awful lot of abuse, not just on the field but on social media.
Hang on mick on 21:04 - Apr 3 with 1456 viewsBackToRussia

Hang on mick on 21:02 - Apr 3 by SomethingBlue

Like it doesn't happen way worse almost everywhere else? Ridiculous. AMN got nothing more than a few groans.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Hang on mick on 21:05 - Apr 3 with 1447 viewsBackToRussia

Hang on mick on 21:04 - Apr 3 by PhilTWTD

Think it goes back a few years now, Scowy had an awful time of it when he was coming through (people actually handed out 'Scowcroft 10 get off!' flyers outside the ground), Matt Richards was another, even Tommy Smith got an awful lot of abuse, not just on the field but on social media.

Are you saying that's exceptional? Like ITFC is worse than other clubs for that.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Hang on mick on 21:13 - Apr 3 with 1391 viewsdavblue

Is it effective running though Phil, he runs about but doesn't really get close to anyone.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024