Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
possible changes to the laws of football 09:10 - Apr 7 with 1995 viewsRadlett_blue

https://www.11versus11.com/metro/ripping-up-the-rule-book-10-changes-that-could- https://www.11versus11.com/metro/ripping-up-the-rule-book-10-changes-that-could-
I don't agree with all of these, but some of them make huge sense. Hard to see the powers that be doing anything radical, though.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

possible changes to the laws of football on 09:22 - Apr 7 with 1950 viewsWeWereZombies

Not quite as cataclysmic and it has probably been discussed already and I have missed it but all Town fans will say this doesn't go far enough, won't they?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39517843

My idea for livening up football however is that all teams are obliged to field one over sixty player and that to give that old boy a chance he should be allowed to use a bicycle - any seconders?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

possible changes to the laws of football on 09:32 - Apr 7 with 1928 viewsDarth_Koont

I'd like to see an offside line about 25 yards from goal. Like the current half-way line rule, you can only be given offside past that.

The problem with modern football and the far greater level of fitness means that defences can squeeze the life out of the opposition and the game far, far easier than the team with the ball can create space. That's one of the reasons why exciting wingers are a thing of the past or they're frequently playing on the wrong fit because they often need to take the ball and cut inside. Give attacking players the space to turn and run at defenders.

Pronouns: He/Him

possible changes to the laws of football on 09:32 - Apr 7 with 1926 viewsThrobbe

Needless use of away kit or third kit - points deduction, second offence punishable by execution of the kit man. It's the only language these people understand.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

possible changes to the laws of football on 09:34 - Apr 7 with 1916 viewsThrobbe

possible changes to the laws of football on 09:32 - Apr 7 by Darth_Koont

I'd like to see an offside line about 25 yards from goal. Like the current half-way line rule, you can only be given offside past that.

The problem with modern football and the far greater level of fitness means that defences can squeeze the life out of the opposition and the game far, far easier than the team with the ball can create space. That's one of the reasons why exciting wingers are a thing of the past or they're frequently playing on the wrong fit because they often need to take the ball and cut inside. Give attacking players the space to turn and run at defenders.

Wasn't the final third proposed when the US were hosting the world cup?

Would definately like to see the ten yard rule.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

possible changes to the laws of football on 09:34 - Apr 7 with 1917 viewsGeoffSentence

possible changes to the laws of football on 09:22 - Apr 7 by WeWereZombies

Not quite as cataclysmic and it has probably been discussed already and I have missed it but all Town fans will say this doesn't go far enough, won't they?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39517843

My idea for livening up football however is that all teams are obliged to field one over sixty player and that to give that old boy a chance he should be allowed to use a bicycle - any seconders?

By the time this club developed player malarkey happens we will be on the verge of brexit and it may well be more difficult to recruit players from Europe as free movement of labour swans off down the players tunnel. In which case this change may not make much difference as clubs look closer to home anyway.

The bicycle thing is Ok, but actually it can take old boys quite a while to accelerate, especially on grass, the bikes must have rocket packs.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

possible changes to the laws of football on 09:36 - Apr 7 with 1911 viewsGeoffSentence

possible changes to the laws of football on 09:32 - Apr 7 by Throbbe

Needless use of away kit or third kit - points deduction, second offence punishable by execution of the kit man. It's the only language these people understand.

Yesterday I discovered that James Pullen is our kitman now. If he performs in the manner of his goalkeeping appearances he is at risk of hanging. Is that what you want?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

possible changes to the laws of football on 09:39 - Apr 7 with 1901 viewsPinewoodblue

possible changes to the laws of football on 09:32 - Apr 7 by Darth_Koont

Why not say a player cannot be offside if they receive a pass from their own half.Let's encourage hoof ball.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

possible changes to the laws of football on 09:44 - Apr 7 with 1887 viewsitfcjoe

My views:

1 - Load of rubbish

2 - Pointless, territory isn't as important in football as it is in sports where you can't pass forwards

3 - Agree with, and also you shouldn't need to pass a FK to a teammate like hockey. If you get fouled and get back up you should be able to carry on dribbling whilst they retreat

4 - Not bad

5 - I wouldn't be unhappy with

6 - Pointless, just get rid of them for when play is stopped and give ball back to a keeper

7 - Agree, only where away kits if necessary

8 - Better to change the appeal than 3 cards

9 - Not adverse to sin bins

10 - I hate time wasting, I'd go further and play it in real time.....stop clock when it goes off and shorten game to an hour.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

possible changes to the laws of football on 09:54 - Apr 7 with 1856 viewsRadlett_blue

possible changes to the laws of football on 09:44 - Apr 7 by itfcjoe

My views:

1 - Load of rubbish

2 - Pointless, territory isn't as important in football as it is in sports where you can't pass forwards

3 - Agree with, and also you shouldn't need to pass a FK to a teammate like hockey. If you get fouled and get back up you should be able to carry on dribbling whilst they retreat

4 - Not bad

5 - I wouldn't be unhappy with

6 - Pointless, just get rid of them for when play is stopped and give ball back to a keeper

7 - Agree, only where away kits if necessary

8 - Better to change the appeal than 3 cards

9 - Not adverse to sin bins

10 - I hate time wasting, I'd go further and play it in real time.....stop clock when it goes off and shorten game to an hour.

Fair enough.
1. Bonkers.
2. Yes, but you can move the ball 10 yards in any direction.
3. Yes.
4. Interesting.
5. Definitely.
6. It should be up to the ref to stop the game. If you kick it out, why should you get it back?
7. 100% yes.
8. Simply bring in a sin bin. Could reduce the cynical, petty fouls.
9. See 8.
10. The 4th official acts as timekeeper & the clock is stopped for goals, subs & injuries.

possible changes to the laws of football on 09:55 - Apr 7 with 1851 viewsSteve_M

There should be clarity on the use of video evidence post-game, not just if the referee hasn't seen an incident. That way offences - be they fouls or dives - get punished and cards given to opponents can be revoked as appropriate.

Cricket has demonstrated that allowing reviews enhances the umpires rather than undermining them. At the moment football has trial by publicity where the FA act after lots of outcry in a televised match but not consistently.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

possible changes to the laws of football on 09:56 - Apr 7 with 1848 viewsCaptainObvious

"1. No points for 0-0"

I immediately stopped reading. We're not Americans.

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

possible changes to the laws of football on 09:57 - Apr 7 with 1836 viewsRadlett_blue

possible changes to the laws of football on 09:56 - Apr 7 by CaptainObvious

"1. No points for 0-0"

I immediately stopped reading. We're not Americans.

That is easily the worst of the suggestions.

possible changes to the laws of football on 10:00 - Apr 7 with 1829 viewsRadlett_blue

possible changes to the laws of football on 09:55 - Apr 7 by Steve_M

There should be clarity on the use of video evidence post-game, not just if the referee hasn't seen an incident. That way offences - be they fouls or dives - get punished and cards given to opponents can be revoked as appropriate.

Cricket has demonstrated that allowing reviews enhances the umpires rather than undermining them. At the moment football has trial by publicity where the FA act after lots of outcry in a televised match but not consistently.

Cricket is very different in that it is a game of stop & start while Hawkeye has been accepted as an authority. Goal line technology works well in football, but constantly reviewing decisions in football would be a disaster. I would only extend it to simulation, post game, as that's the only way it can be reduced if it led to a 3 game ban.

possible changes to the laws of football on 10:00 - Apr 7 with 1829 viewsCaptainObvious

possible changes to the laws of football on 09:57 - Apr 7 by Radlett_blue

That is easily the worst of the suggestions.

they need to make that number 10 then or they lose the attention of idiot punters like me.

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

possible changes to the laws of football on 10:02 - Apr 7 with 1824 viewsGuthrum

2, 3, possibly 4, qualified 9 and 10 are all worth considering.

1 - I don't like, as it would rob an inferior team of the rightful fruits of a battling defence against a superior side.

5 - Penalties are already enough of an advantage.

6, 7 - Largely irrelevant.

8 - Unnecessarily fiddly.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

possible changes to the laws of football on 10:03 - Apr 7 with 1818 viewsSteve_M

possible changes to the laws of football on 10:00 - Apr 7 by Radlett_blue

Cricket is very different in that it is a game of stop & start while Hawkeye has been accepted as an authority. Goal line technology works well in football, but constantly reviewing decisions in football would be a disaster. I would only extend it to simulation, post game, as that's the only way it can be reduced if it led to a 3 game ban.

Yes, I'm very much against stopping football matches to review decisions - the end to end nature of the game is one of it's attractions - but I think post-game there is scope to do more, for fouls as well as diving.

The punishment might not quite line up with the defence but it would improve things.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

possible changes to the laws of football on 10:06 - Apr 7 with 1795 viewsNo9

I would like to see harsher penalties to stop the 'all-in' wrestling
possible changes to the laws of football on 10:10 - Apr 7 with 1781 viewsRadlett_blue

possible changes to the laws of football on 10:06 - Apr 7 by No9

I would like to see harsher penalties to stop the 'all-in' wrestling

Refs d to be brave & give more penalties, rather than taking the soft option of giving a free kick to the defence. But hard to see who's the miscreant when 2 players are wrestling with each other. My suggestion is that, rather like hockey, the defending team has to send at least 3 players to the centre circle or beyond. Then, the other team would send players to mark them & penalty areas would be far less crowded so fouls would be easier to spot.

possible changes to the laws of football on 10:24 - Apr 7 with 1752 viewsLord_Lucan

Interesting that Liverpool haven't won the league since the back pass thing. Purely coincidental no doubt but I remember they did do it for what seemed like hours.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

possible changes to the laws of football on 10:28 - Apr 7 with 1737 viewsGuthrum

possible changes to the laws of football on 10:00 - Apr 7 by Radlett_blue

Football has, to me, become quite a stop-start game with the number of times the ref blows up for minor fouls (e.g. people tripping over each other).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

possible changes to the laws of football on 10:30 - Apr 7 with 1732 viewsGlasgowBlue

I have sympathy for the penalty goal. Deliberate handball on the line stops a certain goal.

Regarding the sin bin. I'd bring that in for a professional foul when it doesn't stop a goal scoring opportunity. How many times do you see a really skillful player running with the ball and beating men (I'm not talking about Ipswich here) and then somebody takes him out 3 yards from goal? That really pisses me off.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

possible changes to the laws of football on 14:05 - Apr 7 with 1579 viewsHighgateBlue

possible changes to the laws of football on 10:02 - Apr 7 by Guthrum

2, 3, possibly 4, qualified 9 and 10 are all worth considering.

1 - I don't like, as it would rob an inferior team of the rightful fruits of a battling defence against a superior side.

5 - Penalties are already enough of an advantage.

6, 7 - Largely irrelevant.

8 - Unnecessarily fiddly.

Why 4? "Accidental handball" isn't currently handball at all. Is the suggestion really that it will now become unlawful to be hit unintentionally by the ball?
possible changes to the laws of football on 15:04 - Apr 7 with 1533 viewsrickw

possible changes to the laws of football on 14:05 - Apr 7 by HighgateBlue

Why 4? "Accidental handball" isn't currently handball at all. Is the suggestion really that it will now become unlawful to be hit unintentionally by the ball?

At the moment half accidental handballs in the penalty area are given and half aren't this rule makes the punishment less severe so hopefully refs would be more consistent.

I actually liked the idea of the no points for 0-0, I thought it was stupid when the Americans had penalties after a draw, but just think how mad the last couple of minutes would be of a 0-0 - both teams going all out attack!! :-)

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

possible changes to the laws of football on 16:30 - Apr 7 with 1488 viewsRadlett_blue

possible changes to the laws of football on 15:04 - Apr 7 by rickw

At the moment half accidental handballs in the penalty area are given and half aren't this rule makes the punishment less severe so hopefully refs would be more consistent.

I actually liked the idea of the no points for 0-0, I thought it was stupid when the Americans had penalties after a draw, but just think how mad the last couple of minutes would be of a 0-0 - both teams going all out attack!! :-)

or they could each agree to score an OG & make the score 1-1.

possible changes to the laws of football on 17:24 - Apr 7 with 1439 viewsClausThomsen

I hope the first one is introduced as soon as possible! Getting a point when you haven't scored a goal rewards spoiling - much like the backpass rule did. Like it or not, removing this dynamic will improve the spectacle.

The rule I worry about was hinted at in a recent world cup (South Africa IIRC), when there was talks of "drinks breaks" being introduced, rendering the game of 2 halves into the game of 4 quarters. The advertising space this would create would be ludicrously lucrative.

My theory is that they're holding a World Cup in a desert to normalize the "drinks break" before introducing it internationally. FIFA are all about the benjamins
[Post edited 7 Apr 2017 17:33]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024