Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I've just made a KILLER risotto 18:14 - Apr 15 with 1325 viewsunbelievablue

But made far too much. Does anyone have anecdotal experience of a good way to reheat tomorrow?

Ta.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:15 - Apr 15 with 1314 viewsPlums

Arancini

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:17 - Apr 15 with 1305 viewsunbelievablue

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:15 - Apr 15 by Plums

Arancini

Good lord that looks superb. Tempting.

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:20 - Apr 15 with 1296 viewsBlueBadger

Big deal, all of J2's food is killer....

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:20 - Apr 15 with 1285 viewsunbelievablue

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:20 - Apr 15 by BlueBadger

Big deal, all of J2's food is killer....

He's banned from this thread.

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:26 - Apr 15 with 1260 viewsconnorscontract

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:15 - Apr 15 by Plums

Arancini

Yep, this is the way to go. It's always worth making too much risotto, just because arancini.

Don't make them too big: golf ball sized once crumbed- they are definitely NOT the Italian Scotch Egg, size-wise!
I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:29 - Apr 15 with 1245 viewsunbelievablue

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:26 - Apr 15 by connorscontract

Yep, this is the way to go. It's always worth making too much risotto, just because arancini.

Don't make them too big: golf ball sized once crumbed- they are definitely NOT the Italian Scotch Egg, size-wise!

Is it possible without a deep fryer?

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:36 - Apr 15 with 1217 viewsconnorscontract

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:26 - Apr 15 by connorscontract

And push some small lumps of melty cheese into the risotto balls before crumbing: mozarella to be properly Italian but you'll also get senstional results with everything from cheap and cheerful Emmental, through Bries and Camemberts (take the rind off) to posh raclette cheeses like Reblochon.

Then you get crispy hot shell (salt and pepper the coating generously), sticky risotto and stringy, melty cheese. And whatever your original star ingredient was in the risotto (cut any big bits of chicken/chorizo/mushrooms/whatever up very small before making the risotto balls).

Yum yum yum!
I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:39 - Apr 15 with 1208 viewsunbelievablue

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:36 - Apr 15 by connorscontract

And push some small lumps of melty cheese into the risotto balls before crumbing: mozarella to be properly Italian but you'll also get senstional results with everything from cheap and cheerful Emmental, through Bries and Camemberts (take the rind off) to posh raclette cheeses like Reblochon.

Then you get crispy hot shell (salt and pepper the coating generously), sticky risotto and stringy, melty cheese. And whatever your original star ingredient was in the risotto (cut any big bits of chicken/chorizo/mushrooms/whatever up very small before making the risotto balls).

Yum yum yum!

Thanks for that!

Mine was mushroom and bacon. Standard.

Login to get fewer ads

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:40 - Apr 15 with 1199 viewsJ2BLUE

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:20 - Apr 15 by unbelievablue

He's banned from this thread.

I second Arancini. Never heard of it until googling it but looks superb.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:41 - Apr 15 with 1199 viewsconnorscontract

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:29 - Apr 15 by unbelievablue

Is it possible without a deep fryer?

Yes... heaviest frying pan you have, oil a centimetre deep at least and shallow fry, rolling them around as they crisp on one side. Cook in batches. Don't crowd the pan. Have a baking tray with kitchen paper on in the oven (set as low as you can) to drain while you fry the next batch. Patience! The rewards are great. Once you've got it cracked- very, very impressive for guests!

But don't forget to season the crumb!
I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:51 - Apr 15 with 1167 viewsconnorscontract

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:41 - Apr 15 by connorscontract

Yes... heaviest frying pan you have, oil a centimetre deep at least and shallow fry, rolling them around as they crisp on one side. Cook in batches. Don't crowd the pan. Have a baking tray with kitchen paper on in the oven (set as low as you can) to drain while you fry the next batch. Patience! The rewards are great. Once you've got it cracked- very, very impressive for guests!

Oh, and you can use shop bought bread crumbs- Panko are sensational and worth the extra but a standard supermarket golden breadcrumb box is fine. Life's too short to make your own breadcrumbs, but if you have no choice then bread needs to be processed pretty fine.

And watch some youtube videos on the wet-hand/dry-hand breadcrumbing technique- it's all about the production line! The first 5 seconds of this shows it:

First make all the risotto balls and shove in cheese, if using. Put on plate, then set up the production line. You'd have risotto balls on a plate on the left. Take with left hand drop into flour. Take out with left hand, drop into egg. Take out with RIGHT hand, drop into breadcrumbs. Take out with right hand put on clean plate on right. Complete until all risotto balls have been breaded.
I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:52 - Apr 15 with 1159 viewsconnorscontract

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:40 - Apr 15 by J2BLUE

I second Arancini. Never heard of it until googling it but looks superb.

You've been warned to stay away from food threads. Now we're all allowed to posts comments on your next Right Royal Rumble WWE thread...
I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:54 - Apr 15 with 1148 viewsvapour_trail

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:51 - Apr 15 by connorscontract

Oh, and you can use shop bought bread crumbs- Panko are sensational and worth the extra but a standard supermarket golden breadcrumb box is fine. Life's too short to make your own breadcrumbs, but if you have no choice then bread needs to be processed pretty fine.

And watch some youtube videos on the wet-hand/dry-hand breadcrumbing technique- it's all about the production line! The first 5 seconds of this shows it:

First make all the risotto balls and shove in cheese, if using. Put on plate, then set up the production line. You'd have risotto balls on a plate on the left. Take with left hand drop into flour. Take out with left hand, drop into egg. Take out with RIGHT hand, drop into breadcrumbs. Take out with right hand put on clean plate on right. Complete until all risotto balls have been breaded.

I am bookmarking this thread and having a go at this. These look lovely. The raclette cheese tip sounds a winner.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:54 - Apr 15 with 1143 viewsJ2BLUE

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:52 - Apr 15 by connorscontract

You've been warned to stay away from food threads. Now we're all allowed to posts comments on your next Right Royal Rumble WWE thread...

Ahh but the difference is that i'm not here saying all cooking is crap. Just my own. Also, if you ban me from the threads how will I learn? Have a heart man!

Truly impaired.

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:57 - Apr 15 with 1119 viewsconnorscontract

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:41 - Apr 15 by connorscontract

I should add, if shallow frying the oil needs to be hot enough to fry a small piece of bread so that it goes golden brown quickly, but not so hot that the pan smokes. Do the small piece of bread test, it's worth it- you don't want greasy arancini, you want a crisp shell.
I've just made a KILLER risotto on 19:01 - Apr 15 with 1100 viewsconnorscontract

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:54 - Apr 15 by J2BLUE

Ahh but the difference is that i'm not here saying all cooking is crap. Just my own. Also, if you ban me from the threads how will I learn? Have a heart man!

A very fair point!
I've just made a KILLER risotto on 19:21 - Apr 15 with 1054 viewsLord_Lucan

Personally I wouldn't re heat rice.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 19:33 - Apr 15 with 1031 viewsBackToRussia

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 19:21 - Apr 15 by Lord_Lucan

Personally I wouldn't re heat rice.

I do it all the time and I'm still here.

My mum (steady) always told me not to reheat rice either, must be a generation thing.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 19:44 - Apr 15 with 1012 viewsLord_Lucan

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 19:33 - Apr 15 by BackToRussia

My mum (steady) always told me not to reheat rice either, must be a generation thing.

Cheeky fecker

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 20:02 - Apr 15 with 988 viewsjeera

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:54 - Apr 15 by vapour_trail

I am bookmarking this thread and having a go at this. These look lovely. The raclette cheese tip sounds a winner.

Likewise.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 20:04 - Apr 15 with 983 viewsjeera

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 19:33 - Apr 15 by BackToRussia

Heh.

I do too tbh. And freeze it

It's all about temp control isn't it

Bring it down quickly after cooking and get it into the fridge or freezer.

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 20:05 - Apr 15 with 982 viewsJ2BLUE

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 18:51 - Apr 15 by connorscontract

Shop bought breadcrumbs jeera...get him!

Truly impaired.

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 20:05 - Apr 15 with 982 viewsunbelievablue

Just come across a lovely looking stuffed pepper leftover risotto recipe. Disco1.

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 20:06 - Apr 15 with 975 viewsjeera

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 20:05 - Apr 15 by J2BLUE

Shop bought breadcrumbs jeera...get him!

I must say that crossed my mind!

Ha!

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 20:12 - Apr 15 with 958 viewsBackToRussia

I've just made a KILLER risotto on 20:04 - Apr 15 by jeera

Heh.

I do too tbh. And freeze it

It's all about temp control isn't it

Bring it down quickly after cooking and get it into the fridge or freezer.

Yeah... or just leave it in the pan with a lid on overnight. Still OK that way.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024