Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smart meters 07:41 - Apr 20 with 2724 viewsReuser_is_God

Anyone got one? Are they worth it?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Smart meters on 07:44 - Apr 20 with 2279 viewsDBaldy

Doesn't't cost anything extra so doesn't hurt to have one.

Biggest advantage is you can keep a better track of how much gas and electricity you've used over certain time periods.
Smart meters on 07:51 - Apr 20 with 2257 viewsWD19

Jonathan Douglas has been wearing one this season. Has managed to cut his energy consumption by 65%.
Smart meters on 07:56 - Apr 20 with 2235 viewsblue_oyster

Yes. I've no idea what the point of them is, apart from that I can now be hacked by the Chinese.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Smart meters on 07:58 - Apr 20 with 2228 viewsnoggin

I've got one. Saves me sending in a meter reading every month but apart from that, I don't know what the advantages are.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Smart meters on 08:21 - Apr 20 with 2183 viewstaximan

Smart meters on 07:58 - Apr 20 by noggin

I've got one. Saves me sending in a meter reading every month but apart from that, I don't know what the advantages are.

don't see the point either

get a bill every quarter

pay it

the bill is more in the winter

the bill is less in the summer

that sums it up, all without a smart meter installed
Smart meters on 08:22 - Apr 20 with 2181 viewshomer_123

I believe we all get one eventually, we don't have a choice. However, the real scandal is that Smart meters are not interchangeable with suppliers. In short, if you change your supplier you may have to change your smart meter.

Short term idiot thinking.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Smart meters on 08:24 - Apr 20 with 2166 viewsDanTheMan

Smart meters on 08:21 - Apr 20 by taximan

don't see the point either

get a bill every quarter

pay it

the bill is more in the winter

the bill is less in the summer

that sums it up, all without a smart meter installed

They are more accurate and help people who don't understand what it is they is causing certain parts of their bill to be higher than they think they should be.

Sorry, what I really mean is does anyone else hate $NEW_THING!??!1

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Smart meters on 08:27 - Apr 20 with 2161 viewsnoggin

Smart meters on 08:22 - Apr 20 by homer_123

I believe we all get one eventually, we don't have a choice. However, the real scandal is that Smart meters are not interchangeable with suppliers. In short, if you change your supplier you may have to change your smart meter.

That is ridiculous if true. It's not the case over here. The same electrician has just fitted the meters to every flat in my block and we can choose our own supplier.

Login to get fewer ads

Smart meters on 08:29 - Apr 20 with 2159 viewsSteve_M

Smart meters on 08:22 - Apr 20 by homer_123

That I believe is a result of Ofgem's inability to get past a textbook view of competition theory and making the supplier's pay for each one they install with no way to reclaim that should the customer move.

I've not followed recent developments too closely but there were more efficient ways of implementing smart metering that wouldn't penalise a supplier should a customer change.

As to the benefits, in theory they should include:
- allowing the customer to monitor energy usage;
- allowing more dynamic pricing rather than a single domestic rate (industrial customers for example have had six rates for years but they are half-hourly metered);
- savings on meter reading costs by transmitting data automatically;
- and, in the long run, allowing some form of dynamic demand to reduce usage at times of system stress.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Smart meters on 08:29 - Apr 20 with 2155 viewsNo9

I had an interesting experience with one - my energy supplier told me they wanted to fit one FoC so I agreed.
Nearly two years later they phoned me to ask If I had any records of what electricity I had consumed.
No I replied, my wife deals with that
Is she available to speak to us
No she's out
When she returns can she please call us on thsi number ----
It turned out that when they fitted the meter they forgot to set it up properly
They agreed they could not charge us for any electric not metered abut asled for a payment of £100 to cover the near two years
NOt a bad deal
Smart meters on 08:39 - Apr 20 with 2136 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

They're smart enough to stop you sticking a wire in to stop them from spinning !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Smart meters on 08:51 - Apr 20 with 2101 viewsNo9

Smart meters on 08:39 - Apr 20 by BanksterDebtSlave

They're smart enough to stop you sticking a wire in to stop them from spinning !

An American at Bentwaters got caught of running his backwards - long story
Smart meters on 09:05 - Apr 20 with 2069 viewsSWGF

Smart meters on 08:39 - Apr 20 by BanksterDebtSlave

Are they smart enough to stop you syphoning your gas from Mr Rottweiler, next door?

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Smart meters on 09:28 - Apr 20 with 2039 viewsRyorry

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5298029

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/oct/01/smart-meter-energy-saving-revoluti

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-3084432/ERROR-Smart-energy-mete

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Smart meters on 09:57 - Apr 20 with 1999 viewsRyorry

Smart meters on 08:24 - Apr 20 by DanTheMan

They are more accurate and help people who don't understand what it is they is causing certain parts of their bill to be higher than they think they should be.

Sorry, what I really mean is does anyone else hate $NEW_THING!??!1

A couple of years ago I purchased independently for about £20, an electronic monitor which was simple to set up and which gives me all the constant info about consumption, cost etc that I need.

Btw - in a signal blackspot, eg round where I live & radiating out for a large distance (radius of at least 12 miles), they would be completely useless, as no data could be transmitted! Which if you look at the alleged data protection issues, I'm not unhappy about!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Smart meters on 10:01 - Apr 20 with 1990 viewsDanTheMan

Smart meters on 09:57 - Apr 20 by Ryorry

A couple of years ago I purchased independently for about £20, an electronic monitor which was simple to set up and which gives me all the constant info about consumption, cost etc that I need.

Btw - in a signal blackspot, eg round where I live & radiating out for a large distance (radius of at least 12 miles), they would be completely useless, as no data could be transmitted! Which if you look at the alleged data protection issues, I'm not unhappy about!

I've just bought a house I intend on pretty much fully automating, so a smart meter, whilst nice, won't be a necessity for me as I'll have enough sensors and things to keep an eye on it.

That's pretty nice for £20 though.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Smart meters on 12:04 - Apr 20 with 1894 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Smart meters on 07:58 - Apr 20 by noggin

Im sure this is the reason why the energy costs have just shot up again!!

Wow not inter changeable!!

after 10 years we could have a big collection of not so smart meters
Smart meters on 12:08 - Apr 20 with 1883 viewssolemio

Smart meters on 08:27 - Apr 20 by noggin

That is ridiculous if true. It's not the case over here. The same electrician has just fitted the meters to every flat in my block and we can choose our own supplier.

It may be different in Norway, but I wonder whether in UK if you live in a block of flats you have to wait for all the meters to be done together, rather than individual leaseholders applying to have their own one done.
Smart meters on 12:27 - Apr 20 with 1857 viewsnoggin

Smart meters on 12:08 - Apr 20 by solemio

It may be different in Norway, but I wonder whether in UK if you live in a block of flats you have to wait for all the meters to be done together, rather than individual leaseholders applying to have their own one done.

They have all been done together but the government is footing the bill. Every property must have a smart meter by next year.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2017 12:34]

Smart meters on 12:31 - Apr 20 with 1852 viewsClapham_Junction

Smart meters on 08:51 - Apr 20 by No9

An American at Bentwaters got caught of running his backwards - long story

A friend had solar panels fitted to his roof, but for some reason was left with an old clock meter, which runs backwards when electricity is exported to the grid (modern digital meters won't run backwards). Over the summer the panels produced far more electricity than the house consumed and when he was asked to give a meter reading in the autumn, he realised the figure was lower than the last reading. He said he was going to wait till the end of winter when the meter may have moved slightly ahead of the previous reading before responding.

I have also got one of the DIY electricity monitors (free from NPower a few years ago) and it's been very useful in identifying wasteful electronics. I discovered the satellite box uses as much power on standby as it does when on and the washing machine uses about 20-30w even when switched off, so both are now turned off at the plug.
Smart meters on 12:33 - Apr 20 with 1840 viewsClapham_Junction

Smart meters on 12:08 - Apr 20 by solemio

As far as I'm aware, they're done individually by the energy companies as you have them fitted by whoever your supplier is.
Smart meters on 12:52 - Apr 20 with 1805 viewsLord_Lucan

I can never be arsed to read the meter and send the reading in so my bills are estimated for months on end so I end up with a large debit or credit at the end of the year.

I am with Utility Warehouse and they have just offered me free smart meters and we are having them installed next month free of charge - I'm not sure if you would usually have to pay for them.

Actually UW are very good, last year they replaced all my lightbulbs - and I have bloody loads - to energy saving ones free of charge. These aren't those stupid things that take ages to warm up, they are instant, brighter and power saving. Also, if one blows they send me a new one free of charge.

A TWTDer is your point of call for UW. Paul Wash info@lowerbillsplease.com

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Smart meters on 12:53 - Apr 20 with 1795 viewsReuser_is_God

Smart meters on 12:52 - Apr 20 by Lord_Lucan

I can never be arsed to read the meter and send the reading in so my bills are estimated for months on end so I end up with a large debit or credit at the end of the year.

I am with Utility Warehouse and they have just offered me free smart meters and we are having them installed next month free of charge - I'm not sure if you would usually have to pay for them.

Actually UW are very good, last year they replaced all my lightbulbs - and I have bloody loads - to energy saving ones free of charge. These aren't those stupid things that take ages to warm up, they are instant, brighter and power saving. Also, if one blows they send me a new one free of charge.

I'm already with UW & have had the same email as you.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Smart meters on 13:03 - Apr 20 with 1771 viewsLord_Lucan

Smart meters on 12:53 - Apr 20 by Reuser_is_God

I'm already with UW & have had the same email as you.

It's a no brainer then isn't it?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Smart meters on 13:04 - Apr 20 with 1766 viewshomer_123

Smart meters on 12:52 - Apr 20 by Lord_Lucan

Whilst Smart Meters are free to have installed - we all pay for them as the Govt. agreed with all utility companies to allow them to increase their bills to the consumer to cover the cost of purchase and install.

So, you pay for it through higher bills. It's not free.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024