Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is McDonnell done? 17:59 - Apr 20 with 1975 viewsMullet

I'm assuming no mention, therefore no sign of him at Rotherham? He was one to get the nod last season at this point, has he just been overtaken?

Personally these games come as a small treasure at the end of a season's disappointment. This year especially. It's nice to get us looking forward and seeing who might be making waves in the following campaign.

Was hoping to see Nydam, and whether or not Dozzell has improved sufficiently to cut it in the side now. I'd favour Mick making as many changes as possible to see who are likely partners and candidates for game time. If Rowe and Kenlock looking promising for example or Bishop and Diagouraga it gives us more to think about.

After Monday's reminder of what we're capable of it couldn't come at a better time.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Is McDonnell done? on 18:16 - Apr 20 with 1930 viewsPJH

McDonnell looked quite impressive in his game at Derby at the end of last season didn't he?
He does not seem to have progressed but is still under contract for next season.
It will be very interesting to see what team we start with on Saturday.
Maybe give Emmanuel a start because I imagine decisions have been made whether to offer Spence a longer contract.
Unless Tommy Smith comes in or Spence plays centrally there would not appear to be much else that can change at the back.
I would imagine that Rowe will start if fully fit and it looks like Bishop will be.
Probably start Samuel if thought is being given to trying to sign him permanently.
Is McDonnell done? on 18:17 - Apr 20 with 1927 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Is McDonnell done? on 18:16 - Apr 20 by PJH

McDonnell looked quite impressive in his game at Derby at the end of last season didn't he?
He does not seem to have progressed but is still under contract for next season.
It will be very interesting to see what team we start with on Saturday.
Maybe give Emmanuel a start because I imagine decisions have been made whether to offer Spence a longer contract.
Unless Tommy Smith comes in or Spence plays centrally there would not appear to be much else that can change at the back.
I would imagine that Rowe will start if fully fit and it looks like Bishop will be.
Probably start Samuel if thought is being given to trying to sign him permanently.

I definetely thought he was useful at Derby last year

Imagine he's simply been overtaken in the pecking order this year though

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Is McDonnell done? on 18:51 - Apr 20 with 1838 viewsbontcho

Is McDonnell done? on 18:17 - Apr 20 by The_Romford_Blue

I definetely thought he was useful at Derby last year

Imagine he's simply been overtaken in the pecking order this year though

I really hope part of the summer squad revamp will be to trim the "main" squad so people like McDonnell have a genuine short term incentive to impress in U23s as it might well bring a spot on the bench or a run in the team if there are injuries.

Bulgarian penalty hero
Poll: Which Harrison should we sign?

Is McDonnell done? on 19:21 - Apr 20 with 1750 viewsMullet

Is McDonnell done? on 18:51 - Apr 20 by bontcho

I really hope part of the summer squad revamp will be to trim the "main" squad so people like McDonnell have a genuine short term incentive to impress in U23s as it might well bring a spot on the bench or a run in the team if there are injuries.

I've been a big fan of his and hopeful but if he couldn't dislodge Dougie when he went from 5th choice to 2nd on the teamsheet for CM, but whether it's just down to a series of injuries like Bishop it raises questions doesn't it?

I'd like to see 8 or 9 or so changes to be honest assuming as noted above we can't do too much with the backline.

Very hopeful Samuel might suit us as I think he's different to Pitman who doesn't seem to quite work here. Likewise Diagouraga really impressed me at PNE but has been a bit disappointing since overall. His performance at Barnsley was terrible. If he can sort it out he helps us focus on other areas and targets.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Is McDonnell done? on 19:36 - Apr 20 with 1708 viewsbontcho

Is McDonnell done? on 19:21 - Apr 20 by Mullet

I've been a big fan of his and hopeful but if he couldn't dislodge Dougie when he went from 5th choice to 2nd on the teamsheet for CM, but whether it's just down to a series of injuries like Bishop it raises questions doesn't it?

I'd like to see 8 or 9 or so changes to be honest assuming as noted above we can't do too much with the backline.

Very hopeful Samuel might suit us as I think he's different to Pitman who doesn't seem to quite work here. Likewise Diagouraga really impressed me at PNE but has been a bit disappointing since overall. His performance at Barnsley was terrible. If he can sort it out he helps us focus on other areas and targets.

Pretty sure Pitman will be available, simply because he must be earning decent money and he's not a regular 1st teamer. MM's comments today about wingers made me wonder as we're only likely to have one on our books (Rowe) once Lawrence leaves but I don't see us playing 4-4-2 next year. 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 seem to suit our current players.

Assuming we sign Huws I'd see us having Skuse, Hyam, Huws, Ward, Dozzell and Bishop next year (if we can offload Bru). Knowing we usually play 3 Centre midfielders McDonnell would know he's only got to get ahead of 2 of those to get on the bench. That's a big difference to 10th/11th choice.

Bulgarian penalty hero
Poll: Which Harrison should we sign?

Is McDonnell done? on 03:34 - Apr 21 with 1339 viewsharlingblue

Yes, I think that he is done, never really makes an impact in U23 games. We have an influx of skillful young midfield players, Dozzell, Benyu, Nydam none have the build to hold their own in the Championship at the moment, but great for the future.
As for changes for the Rotherham game, I would make one, Rowe for Lawrence, keep the rest of the team that played against Newcastle, and look to finish unbeaten in the last three games of what has been a poor season.
Is McDonnell done? on 06:07 - Apr 21 with 1291 viewsLimitlessBlue

Is McDonnell done? on 03:34 - Apr 21 by harlingblue

Yes, I think that he is done, never really makes an impact in U23 games. We have an influx of skillful young midfield players, Dozzell, Benyu, Nydam none have the build to hold their own in the Championship at the moment, but great for the future.
As for changes for the Rotherham game, I would make one, Rowe for Lawrence, keep the rest of the team that played against Newcastle, and look to finish unbeaten in the last three games of what has been a poor season.

What makes anyone think that with MM in charge next season the youth stand any chance again of making an impact?! - has has not used them this season and I don't see him using them next season.

Poll: So 2 wins out of 2 are you now.....

Is McDonnell done? on 08:15 - Apr 21 with 1159 viewsitfcjoe

He just hasn't done enough in the U23s for me this year, has started over 20 games for them so it isn't about fitness he just hasn't really kicked on.

Personally think to play the role he does he needed to get a bit stronger and broader but just hasn't happened so without any real pace he ends up making rash challenges from the wrong side too often. A decent ball player, but not of Doz's class in that respect, and physically needs to be a bit more.

We have a glut of CMs in the development squad and he seems to have been overtaken

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Is McDonnell done? on 09:33 - Apr 21 with 1076 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Is McDonnell done? on 08:15 - Apr 21 by itfcjoe

He just hasn't done enough in the U23s for me this year, has started over 20 games for them so it isn't about fitness he just hasn't really kicked on.

Personally think to play the role he does he needed to get a bit stronger and broader but just hasn't happened so without any real pace he ends up making rash challenges from the wrong side too often. A decent ball player, but not of Doz's class in that respect, and physically needs to be a bit more.

We have a glut of CMs in the development squad and he seems to have been overtaken

Wasn't he injured at the start of the season?

I'd like to see us keep him for another year but send him out on loan somewhere in L2 to get a dozen or so games under his belt. There's a player in there, but needs to play some meaningful games and put some meat on the bones to have any chance of progressing.

I'd also add in a handful of other youngsters who need to go out and play some matches. Spending 2 years playing u23 football will make any youngster stagnate and pulling them out of their comfort zone and having face different opponents is the only way to fidn out if they can adapt
Is McDonnell done? on 10:06 - Apr 21 with 1031 viewsitfcjoe

Is McDonnell done? on 09:33 - Apr 21 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Wasn't he injured at the start of the season?

I'd like to see us keep him for another year but send him out on loan somewhere in L2 to get a dozen or so games under his belt. There's a player in there, but needs to play some meaningful games and put some meat on the bones to have any chance of progressing.

I'd also add in a handful of other youngsters who need to go out and play some matches. Spending 2 years playing u23 football will make any youngster stagnate and pulling them out of their comfort zone and having face different opponents is the only way to fidn out if they can adapt

Totally agree with this, he has another year on his deal so will be here next year

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024