Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How we got here....... 00:14 - Apr 24 with 819 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

How we got here....... on 00:27 - Apr 24 with 797 viewsbournemouthblue

That's what happens when big business, the banks and various super rich media moguls take control of the agenda

It's interesting that Europeans don't actually consider our media free because of it's primarily right wing make up

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

How we got here....... on 00:37 - Apr 24 with 782 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

So we are more right wing now than, say, 40 years ago?
How we got here....... on 09:04 - Apr 24 with 672 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

How we got here....... on 00:37 - Apr 24 by FrowsyArmLarry

So we are more right wing now than, say, 40 years ago?

Definitely!

How we got here....... on 09:06 - Apr 24 with 670 viewsSwansea_Blue

Thought that was Chambo's hoof heat map for a minute.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How we got here....... on 09:14 - Apr 24 with 662 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

How we got here....... on 09:06 - Apr 24 by Swansea_Blue

Thought that was Chambo's hoof heat map for a minute.

Or the area of the pitch that both teams are allowed to occupy during a goal kick as the game progresses.

How we got here....... on 09:18 - Apr 24 with 657 viewsSwansea_Blue

How we got here....... on 09:14 - Apr 24 by BanksterDebtSlave

Or the area of the pitch that both teams are allowed to occupy during a goal kick as the game progresses.

Reminds me of the Steve Whitton days - only ever one place the goal kick used to go... Scowie was another one. Highly predictable and not particulalry effective.

Back to the OP, it may help explain why I feel myself drifting further to the left these days. I just thought i was going all sentimental in my middle age years.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How we got here....... on 09:28 - Apr 24 with 648 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

How we got here....... on 09:18 - Apr 24 by Swansea_Blue

Reminds me of the Steve Whitton days - only ever one place the goal kick used to go... Scowie was another one. Highly predictable and not particulalry effective.

Back to the OP, it may help explain why I feel myself drifting further to the left these days. I just thought i was going all sentimental in my middle age years.

I think that deep down people are desperate for a genuine (less individualist/selfish) alternative to the drudgery of the survival of modern living .....it's all a bit grey ! (Cue, Blur)

How we got here....... on 09:48 - Apr 24 with 631 viewsGuthrum

How we got here....... on 09:28 - Apr 24 by BanksterDebtSlave

I think that deep down people are desperate for a genuine (less individualist/selfish) alternative to the drudgery of the survival of modern living .....it's all a bit grey ! (Cue, Blur)

Very true. But they're also torn by the modern individualist imperative to hoard money in difficult times (e.g. constant demands for lower taxation while services remain underfunded).

The problem is, so few offer a genuine alternative without either straying into isolationalist-protectionist territory (look after our people and sod the rest) or impractical economic schemes - very often both together.

The "establishment" is seen as having betrayed the people, so voters have veered towards outright iconoclasm, regardless of the damage that may cause to the system which sustains them.

A lot of this is a reaction to change. Global shifts in economic activity and advances in technology have stolen their well-paid jobs (c.f. UK coalmining, the US Rust Belt, northern France and southern Belgium). Demographic shifts and migrations have altered their local environment (c.f. the rise of modern British racism in the years after the Windrush arrival, the reaction to Irish immigration in the 19th century). Financial overreach has eroded their spending power after a period of growing standards of living (c.f. the rise of extremism during the Great Depression era, the fall of the Roman Empire).

Much of that is down to natural organic changes which have happened before, repeatedly, in human history. A flight to extreme positions has rarely proven the answer to those issues, more often leading to disaster.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

How we got here....... on 09:52 - Apr 24 with 621 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

How we got here....... on 09:48 - Apr 24 by Guthrum

Very true. But they're also torn by the modern individualist imperative to hoard money in difficult times (e.g. constant demands for lower taxation while services remain underfunded).

The problem is, so few offer a genuine alternative without either straying into isolationalist-protectionist territory (look after our people and sod the rest) or impractical economic schemes - very often both together.

The "establishment" is seen as having betrayed the people, so voters have veered towards outright iconoclasm, regardless of the damage that may cause to the system which sustains them.

A lot of this is a reaction to change. Global shifts in economic activity and advances in technology have stolen their well-paid jobs (c.f. UK coalmining, the US Rust Belt, northern France and southern Belgium). Demographic shifts and migrations have altered their local environment (c.f. the rise of modern British racism in the years after the Windrush arrival, the reaction to Irish immigration in the 19th century). Financial overreach has eroded their spending power after a period of growing standards of living (c.f. the rise of extremism during the Great Depression era, the fall of the Roman Empire).

Much of that is down to natural organic changes which have happened before, repeatedly, in human history. A flight to extreme positions has rarely proven the answer to those issues, more often leading to disaster.

Always enjoy your posts Guthrum (regardless of the degree to which I agree with them)......we live in a world of cognitive dissonance!

Edit......new paradigms required in a post growth world in my opinion.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2017 9:54]

How we got here....... on 09:53 - Apr 24 with 617 viewsGuthrum

How we got here....... on 09:04 - Apr 24 by BanksterDebtSlave

Definitely!

Altho at that point we were soon to head into a right-wing era lasting over a decade. And while there were anarchist punks, there were also NF skinheads on the streets.

How we got here....... on 09:55 - Apr 24 with 609 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

How we got here....... on 09:53 - Apr 24 by Guthrum

Altho at that point we were soon to head into a right-wing era lasting over a decade. And while there were anarchist punks, there were also NF skinheads on the streets.

Responsible for at least 2 of my arrests ! Sometimes, being tall is a curse !
Handing out anti facist leaflets outside Elland Road was interesting too.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2017 10:01]

How we got here....... on 10:02 - Apr 24 with 590 viewsGuthrum

How we got here....... on 09:52 - Apr 24 by BanksterDebtSlave

Always enjoy your posts Guthrum (regardless of the degree to which I agree with them)......we live in a world of cognitive dissonance!

Edit......new paradigms required in a post growth world in my opinion.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2017 9:54]

'... new paradigms required in a post growth world in my opinion ...' - Indeed, very much so. Also new, more flexible terminologies, the old ones are something of an intellectual straitjacket.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2017 10:05]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024