Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Step Children 20:03 - Apr 24 with 4709 viewsDecoy_Octopus

Hello, regular reader and occasional poster here. I know TWTD is a good place for advice and a vent. Well tonight I had the dreaded "you're not my real dad" from my step daughter for the first time. Me and the wife laughed it off and I put on a brave face, but secretly, deep down; I'm devastated

We've always been close. I've helped raise her since she was 4 when me and her mum, my now wife; got serious. She's now 10. Her real dad doesn't give a s**t. Has no contact and she has never mentioned him before and can't really remember him. Apparently they were talking about families at school. Anyone else had this? Feel really down about it...
Step Children on 20:05 - Apr 24 with 2419 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Anyone can become a father. It takes a real man to be a dad.

Respect to you sir

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Step Children on 20:06 - Apr 24 with 2407 viewsBackToRussia

What prompted that/what's the context?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Step Children on 20:07 - Apr 24 with 2396 viewsJ2BLUE

Mate, she's 10. When people say something like that they are looking for something to hurt you. Job done. She will probably feel really bad about it when she calms down. She's probably not old enough to say sorry but might test the water somehow to see how you react. React well, give her a cuddle and show her you are her 'real dad' whatever that means these days.

Have a read of this:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/24/families-evolved-language-

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Step Children on 20:08 - Apr 24 with 2393 viewsMJallday

my advice (based on a friend whos been through the same) nip it in the bud. do it early, otherwise it will grow - and not get better till shes much older.

he did it by retorting "well i may not be your father but i am your dad, and the best and only one youve got" - that sorted out the little madam.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Step Children on 20:08 - Apr 24 with 2378 viewsJ2BLUE

Step Children on 20:05 - Apr 24 by The_Romford_Blue

Anyone can become a father. It takes a real man to be a dad.

Respect to you sir

My nan bought my dad a fridge magnet with that on...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Step Children on 20:08 - Apr 24 with 2383 viewsLord_Lucan

If your daughter knew how bad you felt then she would feel worse.

It must be awful but chin up, she really doesn't mean it.

She is a decade old, that is all.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Step Children on 20:11 - Apr 24 with 2356 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Step Children on 20:08 - Apr 24 by J2BLUE

My nan bought my dad a fridge magnet with that on...

I guess I didn't make that saying up then

Damn.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Step Children on 20:12 - Apr 24 with 2337 viewsPJH

Step Children on 20:11 - Apr 24 by The_Romford_Blue

I guess I didn't make that saying up then

Damn.

But maybe you have seen J2's Dad's fridge.
Login to get fewer ads

Step Children on 20:13 - Apr 24 with 2323 viewsPlums

I haven't had the same experience but I do know that kids of that age don't really understand consequences, she's just seeing what the reaction is and won't have any comprehension of how it hurts.
I'd suggest keep doing what you're doing, one day she'll really appreciate and understand it.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Step Children on 20:16 - Apr 24 with 2317 viewsDecoy_Octopus

Step Children on 20:06 - Apr 24 by BackToRussia

What prompted that/what's the context?

She had a picture of me and her together thatI'd put up on my desk at work after I found it the other day. Got in at the tail end of a row between her and my wife (over knitting of all things) and she said it after I'd told her about it she said "ooh you're not my real dad so it doesn't matter anyway" she was in a mood though and that coupled with them talking about it at her school and me apparently siding with my wife by saying her knitting was lovely was what set it off my wife reckons.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2017 20:21]
Step Children on 20:20 - Apr 24 with 2287 viewsBackToRussia

Step Children on 20:16 - Apr 24 by Decoy_Octopus

She had a picture of me and her together thatI'd put up on my desk at work after I found it the other day. Got in at the tail end of a row between her and my wife (over knitting of all things) and she said it after I'd told her about it she said "ooh you're not my real dad so it doesn't matter anyway" she was in a mood though and that coupled with them talking about it at her school and me apparently siding with my wife by saying her knitting was lovely was what set it off my wife reckons.

So what doesn't matter? Sorry not following the story.
But it doesn't matter too much I'd say. If your relationship is good day-to-day it's best to ignore the things said when people are upset.
Unless she's saying stuff like this regularly I'd try not to be concerned.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Step Children on 20:21 - Apr 24 with 2293 viewsPJH

I acquired two step daughters about 30 years ago when their Mum and I got together,think they were aged 14 and 12 then.
I do not recall having any major problems with them although there was a spell several years later when the younger one tended to wind me up.
I am now a very proud Grandad to three kids produced by the younger daughter and we see a hell of a lot of them because her marriage to the kids dad broke up.

Although I cannot give any direct advice I think that she probably regrets what she said.
Can your Wife have a chat with her,maybe the daughter needs to open her heart a bit to someone?
Step Children on 20:23 - Apr 24 with 2266 viewsDecoy_Octopus

Step Children on 20:20 - Apr 24 by BackToRussia

So what doesn't matter? Sorry not following the story.
But it doesn't matter too much I'd say. If your relationship is good day-to-day it's best to ignore the things said when people are upset.
Unless she's saying stuff like this regularly I'd try not to be concerned.

Apparently it doesn't matter that I put a picture of us both up on my desk at work.

First time she's done it, still feel pretty cut up but we've had a chat now.
Step Children on 20:26 - Apr 24 with 2241 viewsDecoy_Octopus

Step Children on 20:21 - Apr 24 by PJH

I acquired two step daughters about 30 years ago when their Mum and I got together,think they were aged 14 and 12 then.
I do not recall having any major problems with them although there was a spell several years later when the younger one tended to wind me up.
I am now a very proud Grandad to three kids produced by the younger daughter and we see a hell of a lot of them because her marriage to the kids dad broke up.

Although I cannot give any direct advice I think that she probably regrets what she said.
Can your Wife have a chat with her,maybe the daughter needs to open her heart a bit to someone?

I've actually got two. Her and her brother who's 8. Their real dad was abusive to my wife and she left when my step daughter was 2 a couple of weeks after their son was born. Have one biological child as well but they are all treated the same and my parents have treated them the same as all the other grand kids from the start.
Step Children on 20:29 - Apr 24 with 2218 viewsBackToRussia

Step Children on 20:23 - Apr 24 by Decoy_Octopus

Apparently it doesn't matter that I put a picture of us both up on my desk at work.

Yeah that's a harsh one to hear. As people have said young people will say a lot of hurtful things that they don't even really understand the meaning of... hard to rationalise when you're the one hearing it though - no doubt.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Step Children on 20:29 - Apr 24 with 2218 viewsNewcyBlue

Step Children on 20:16 - Apr 24 by Decoy_Octopus

Hello Decoy.

Be prepared to her your Step Daughter say that whenever she is in a mood, or you discipline her, or disagree with her.

She DOESN'T mean it. She is lashing out. She is a child.

Acknowledge your feelings, it hurts. Now move on.

Carry on being the best father figure to her that you can be.

I wish you well.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Step Children on 20:29 - Apr 24 with 2216 viewsLord_Lucan

Step Children on 20:23 - Apr 24 by Decoy_Octopus

I sympathise greatly but she really doesn't know what she is saying.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Step Children on 20:31 - Apr 24 with 2193 viewsIllinoisblue

Step Children on 20:12 - Apr 24 by PJH

But maybe you have seen J2's Dad's fridge.

during which time Rommy taught the J2 family to make eggs. It's all adding up now...

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Step Children on 20:33 - Apr 24 with 2172 viewsPJH

Step Children on 20:31 - Apr 24 by Illinoisblue

during which time Rommy taught the J2 family to make eggs. It's all adding up now...

You are probably right,I had not thought of that but it seems pretty likely now that you mention it.
Step Children on 20:35 - Apr 24 with 2170 viewsDecoy_Octopus

Thanks for the advice all. Had a bit of a chat and a hug and she didn't mean it and is now crocheting me a scarf apparently!
Step Children on 20:36 - Apr 24 with 2154 viewsPJH

Step Children on 20:35 - Apr 24 by Decoy_Octopus

Thanks for the advice all. Had a bit of a chat and a hug and she didn't mean it and is now crocheting me a scarf apparently!

Blue and white I hope.
Step Children on 20:37 - Apr 24 with 2146 viewsPlums

Step Children on 20:35 - Apr 24 by Decoy_Octopus

Good for you both.
Now that's sorted, do we know anything about your cheese preferences?

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Step Children on 20:38 - Apr 24 with 2140 viewsDecoy_Octopus

Step Children on 20:07 - Apr 24 by J2BLUE

Mate, she's 10. When people say something like that they are looking for something to hurt you. Job done. She will probably feel really bad about it when she calms down. She's probably not old enough to say sorry but might test the water somehow to see how you react. React well, give her a cuddle and show her you are her 'real dad' whatever that means these days.

Have a read of this:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/apr/24/families-evolved-language-

By the way thanks for the article J2.

Keep on cooking those eggs or whatever it is you do.
Step Children on 20:39 - Apr 24 with 2127 viewsDecoy_Octopus

Step Children on 20:37 - Apr 24 by Plums

Good for you both.
Now that's sorted, do we know anything about your cheese preferences?

Mentioned these before

A good Cheddar
Pablo
Keane was worse.
Step Children on 20:41 - Apr 24 with 2121 viewsDecoy_Octopus

Step Children on 20:36 - Apr 24 by PJH

Blue and white I hope.

I wish, it's going to be rainbow coloured apparently. I've told her she can't at any point have yellow following green or vice versa though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024