Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hugill equalizer... 20:03 - Apr 24 with 2483 viewsstrikalite

No chance of getting him now, how much did they want?
Hugill equalizer... on 20:16 - Apr 24 with 2444 viewschristiand

Were we ever realistically in the hunt? I have my doubts.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Hugill equalizer... on 20:26 - Apr 24 with 2420 viewsSuperfrans

Grayson joked that he'd now cost £4m, after scoring against us.
Suspect we had offered £2m or £2.5m, but that they had previously been holding out for £3m...

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Hugill equalizer... on 20:28 - Apr 24 with 2412 viewsstrikalite

Hugill equalizer... on 20:16 - Apr 24 by christiand

Were we ever realistically in the hunt? I have my doubts.

Makes you wonder, you don't get much for £2m for this level so if it was £3m they wanted and we wouldn't pay it then we should all despair really..
Hugill equalizer... on 22:06 - Apr 24 with 2282 viewsRadlett_blue

Hugill equalizer... on 20:28 - Apr 24 by strikalite

Makes you wonder, you don't get much for £2m for this level so if it was £3m they wanted and we wouldn't pay it then we should all despair really..

What's the biggest fee Town have paid for a player under Mick? £600k for Grant Ward?
I believe we offered £1.5m for Hugill.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Hugill equalizer... on 22:21 - Apr 24 with 2240 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Hugill equalizer... on 22:06 - Apr 24 by Radlett_blue

What's the biggest fee Town have paid for a player under Mick? £600k for Grant Ward?
I believe we offered £1.5m for Hugill.

750k for Webster?
Hugill equalizer... on 22:37 - Apr 24 with 2218 viewsxrayspecs

Was there this evening. Unconvinced about Hughil as a big money signing for us. Nowhere as good as Murphy when he originally signed for us, he is though young.

Chatting with home fans. They hate the football being played by NUFC despite the results. One up front, even at home, possession, tikka takka. While they were clearly better than Preston the game lacked energy or excitement. The crowd only got going after the third goal. Newcastle need to buy 10+ premier league players this summer or they will come straight back down.
Hugill equalizer... on 22:38 - Apr 24 with 2219 viewsPhilTWTD

Hugill equalizer... on 20:28 - Apr 24 by strikalite

Think they just dug their heels in about not wanting to sell full stop rather than demanding a bigger fee. They were in with a shout of the play-offs in January so you couldn't really blame them. Might well be available in the summer though, not sure about fee though.
Hugill equalizer... on 23:22 - Apr 24 with 2149 viewsStNeotsBlue

Hugill equalizer... on 22:38 - Apr 24 by PhilTWTD

Think they just dug their heels in about not wanting to sell full stop rather than demanding a bigger fee. They were in with a shout of the play-offs in January so you couldn't really blame them. Might well be available in the summer though, not sure about fee though.

I know it's all old ground but the lack of planning and failure to either bring in a decent target man or significantly change the style of play to suit the players we're left with has done for us this season.

Huws is a must sign, Diagouraga is very hit and miss, Spence is decent going forward but is often oblivious to what's is going on around him but my question is there any chance we could get Williams permanently he clearly likes it here and if he could stay fit he'd be a massive player for us.
Login to get fewer ads

Hugill equalizer... on 09:16 - Apr 25 with 1954 viewsRadlett_blue

Hugill equalizer... on 22:38 - Apr 24 by PhilTWTD

Hugill hasn't exactly been prolific, although neither was Murphy for us, except in one season so Hugill would clearly be an upgrade on our current non-existent target man. Not that surprised Evans was willing to pay £1.5m as he's the sort of player who could improve & be sold on at a profit. However, he's under contract until 2019 I think so why would Preston sell unless someone comes in with a huge bid (which won't be us). I reckon we'll end up with a cut price option like Dominic Samuel (who looks a League 1 player to me).

Hugill equalizer... on 09:23 - Apr 25 with 1932 viewsPhilTWTD

Hugill equalizer... on 09:16 - Apr 25 by Radlett_blue

Hugill hasn't exactly been prolific, although neither was Murphy for us, except in one season so Hugill would clearly be an upgrade on our current non-existent target man. Not that surprised Evans was willing to pay £1.5m as he's the sort of player who could improve & be sold on at a profit. However, he's under contract until 2019 I think so why would Preston sell unless someone comes in with a huge bid (which won't be us). I reckon we'll end up with a cut price option like Dominic Samuel (who looks a League 1 player to me).

Contracted to 2018, I think, which is why I would guess he might be available this summer. Think we actually got up to £2m with the final bid but they made it clear they weren't going to sell.

Difficult to judge Samuel as he's played so little first team football. Has scored goals when on loan in the lower leagues and now needs a chance at this level.
Hugill equalizer... on 10:03 - Apr 25 with 1858 viewsNeverTellMeTheOdds

Hugill equalizer... on 09:23 - Apr 25 by PhilTWTD

Contracted to 2018, I think, which is why I would guess he might be available this summer. Think we actually got up to £2m with the final bid but they made it clear they weren't going to sell.

Difficult to judge Samuel as he's played so little first team football. Has scored goals when on loan in the lower leagues and now needs a chance at this level.

You have to wonder if we are even a considered a step up from Preston right now, they have had a much better season than us and I doubt Hugill would even consider making the move to us at present if im honest.

He is much more likely to end up at another Championship club than here IMO, or may even stay at Preston rather than move here.

Could be a tough summer trying to convince our targets that we are a club they want to move too.

Poll: Will the new season ticket prices make you renew for the 2017/2018 season?

Hugill equalizer... on 10:26 - Apr 25 with 1815 viewshype313

Hugill equalizer... on 10:03 - Apr 25 by NeverTellMeTheOdds

You have to wonder if we are even a considered a step up from Preston right now, they have had a much better season than us and I doubt Hugill would even consider making the move to us at present if im honest.

He is much more likely to end up at another Championship club than here IMO, or may even stay at Preston rather than move here.

Could be a tough summer trying to convince our targets that we are a club they want to move too.

It does beg the question why would he come here from Preston, unless we were offering far superior wages, which I should imagine we wouldn't be

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Hugill equalizer... on 10:34 - Apr 25 with 1797 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Hugill equalizer... on 10:26 - Apr 25 by hype313

It does beg the question why would he come here from Preston, unless we were offering far superior wages, which I should imagine we wouldn't be

Tom Barkhuizen look like a mm player - covers lots of positions and is big with electric pace
Hugill equalizer... on 10:35 - Apr 25 with 1796 viewsNeverTellMeTheOdds

I can only assume players would move here at present for the Mick factor. He is still a draw for a lot of players and if Mick does stay then I think we may have to rely on that this summer.

As you say though financially we cant compete so unless Evans is going to release the purse strings then Mick is going to have to really wheel & deal this summer. We should hopefully have some wages to play with though as we are likely to lose a large number of players so that may go some way, Evans needs to come to the party though.

Have a feeling its going to be hugely frustrating summer with targets getting away from us :(

Poll: Will the new season ticket prices make you renew for the 2017/2018 season?

Hugill equalizer... on 10:36 - Apr 25 with 1788 viewsPhilTWTD

I'd be amazed if we wouldn't offer better wages, Preston's wage bill is somewhat lower than ours.
Hugill equalizer... on 10:40 - Apr 25 with 1775 viewshype313

Hugill equalizer... on 10:36 - Apr 25 by PhilTWTD

I'd be amazed if we wouldn't offer better wages, Preston's wage bill is somewhat lower than ours.

Is that partly down to the squad sizes though Phil? we do seem to have a higher number then Preston on our books.

Hugill equalizer... on 10:48 - Apr 25 with 1762 viewsKieran_Knows

Hugill equalizer... on 10:40 - Apr 25 by hype313

Is that partly down to the squad sizes though Phil? we do seem to have a higher number then Preston on our books.

Something that Town need to address in the summer for sure. Quality, not quantity.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Hugill equalizer... on 10:49 - Apr 25 with 1762 viewsPhilTWTD

Hugill equalizer... on 10:40 - Apr 25 by hype313

Can't find the 2015/16 figure but the previous year it was £6-£7m when Town's would have been about double that. I doubt it would have climbed a lot since then. Obviously a bigger wage bill allows a bigger squad and the ability to pay players higher wages.
Hugill equalizer... on 10:53 - Apr 25 with 1753 viewshype313

Hugill equalizer... on 10:49 - Apr 25 by PhilTWTD

Can't find the 2015/16 figure but the previous year it was £6-£7m when Town's would have been about double that. I doubt it would have climbed a lot since then. Obviously a bigger wage bill allows a bigger squad and the ability to pay players higher wages.

Seems like we could do with trimming our squad before we bring in anymore in. We do seem top heavy with average players not adding a huge amount to the team taking up wages which could be utilised better elsewhere.

Probably best to lock down the managers position before embarking on any of that though, although it does seem like Mick is here to stay.

Hugill equalizer... on 10:56 - Apr 25 with 1743 viewsPhilTWTD

Hugill equalizer... on 10:53 - Apr 25 by hype313

Seems like we could do with trimming our squad before we bring in anymore in. We do seem top heavy with average players not adding a huge amount to the team taking up wages which could be utilised better elsewhere.

Probably best to lock down the managers position before embarking on any of that though, although it does seem like Mick is here to stay.

While I agree the squad needs a shake-up, I'm not sure it's huge in terms of senior players. Only takes a couple of injuries in most areas for kids to have to come in, January's bench illustrated that, although late transfer window signings then boosted numbers.
Hugill equalizer... on 11:00 - Apr 25 with 1725 viewsRadlett_blue

Hugill equalizer... on 10:56 - Apr 25 by PhilTWTD

While I agree the squad needs a shake-up, I'm not sure it's huge in terms of senior players. Only takes a couple of injuries in most areas for kids to have to come in, January's bench illustrated that, although late transfer window signings then boosted numbers.

We do appear to have a few more promising younger players right now - Kenlock, Emmanuel, Webster, Rowe, Dozzell, Ward & Bishop (if he ever returns to fitness/form). That's the one thing that give me some hope next season may be a little better than this one.

Hugill equalizer... on 11:04 - Apr 25 with 1707 viewshype313

Hugill equalizer... on 11:00 - Apr 25 by Radlett_blue

We do appear to have a few more promising younger players right now - Kenlock, Emmanuel, Webster, Rowe, Dozzell, Ward & Bishop (if he ever returns to fitness/form). That's the one thing that give me some hope next season may be a little better than this one.

This might be me being glass half full, but I do think with a fully fit Webster and Kenlock progressing we will be stronger at the back, Sears getting his confidence back and adding another striker to the team will make us more potent, and Huws is a player we have being screaming out for since Jim hung up his boots.

Our midfield has been our achilles heel for the past 7-8 years, none of Keane, Jewell or Mick have found us a functioning/attacking threat from the players they have used in midfield. No surprise that a Winger has got player of the season in the championship.

Hugill equalizer... on 11:17 - Apr 25 with 1679 viewsRadlett_blue

Hugill equalizer... on 11:04 - Apr 25 by hype313

This might be me being glass half full, but I do think with a fully fit Webster and Kenlock progressing we will be stronger at the back, Sears getting his confidence back and adding another striker to the team will make us more potent, and Huws is a player we have being screaming out for since Jim hung up his boots.

Our midfield has been our achilles heel for the past 7-8 years, none of Keane, Jewell or Mick have found us a functioning/attacking threat from the players they have used in midfield. No surprise that a Winger has got player of the season in the championship.

Yes, I'd like to sign Huws, but I'm not overly hopeful. To his credit, I think he definitely wants to play & might take a pay cut again to leave, but I'm sure Cardiff would demand a fee & Huws (or his agent) will have got other clubs interested.

Hugill equalizer... on 11:23 - Apr 25 with 1669 viewsPhilTWTD

Hugill equalizer... on 11:00 - Apr 25 by Radlett_blue

There are a number of good young players in and around the first team at present with a few behind those you mention on their way through from the academy, Morris, Benyu, Downes and Nydam among them. Recruiting young players like Webster and Ward as well as bringing through academy youngsters is the way Town will need to work.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024