Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? 07:49 - Apr 25 with 8255 viewsSteve_M

One of the great days to be a Town fan.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 18:07 - Apr 25 with 2933 viewsrunaround

I was there. Remember the players coach coming past us on the way back & they were all dancing & jumping around at the back! I remember Leicester fans at South Mimms saying to us see you next season! Whoops
Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 18:18 - Apr 25 with 2925 viewsSmithersJones

I remember it well, including a very noisy curry in Oxford City Centre that night. For me this game, and the Brighton home game the following week when we got the trophy, marked a turning point in watching football. I'd moved away from Ipswich but could still turn up to a game, pay on the gate, go to roughly the same point on the terraces, and know that a good number of mates would be there. The following season Portman Road went all seater, some of us got season tickets and some didn't, and the group I used to watch with gradually went our separate ways. But boy was it a privilege to watch Ipswich in that era.
Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 18:42 - Apr 25 with 2900 viewshorsehollerer

I was halfway through a 4-day trip to the Lake District with some friends. Saturday at dawn I left a note (something like "Sorry, I can't do this - I need to be there") and crept out of the house, walked three miles to a bus stop, then at least three trains from Grange-over-Sands to Oxford. Managed to get a ticket for the home end (well, the weird bit of terracing along the side near the home end) from some bloke outside the ground and they let me in with my weekend backpack. So worth it, although I was jealous seeing the Town fans going mental in the away end.

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 18:46 - Apr 25 with 2884 viewsEastTownBlue

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 18:42 - Apr 25 by horsehollerer

I was halfway through a 4-day trip to the Lake District with some friends. Saturday at dawn I left a note (something like "Sorry, I can't do this - I need to be there") and crept out of the house, walked three miles to a bus stop, then at least three trains from Grange-over-Sands to Oxford. Managed to get a ticket for the home end (well, the weird bit of terracing along the side near the home end) from some bloke outside the ground and they let me in with my weekend backpack. So worth it, although I was jealous seeing the Town fans going mental in the away end.

A good story. I seem to remember that they had about 9 different little stands.

The Manor Ground maybe long gone, a number of us won't forget it.
Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 18:53 - Apr 25 with 2879 viewssuperblue70

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 18:46 - Apr 25 by EastTownBlue

A good story. I seem to remember that they had about 9 different little stands.

The Manor Ground maybe long gone, a number of us won't forget it.

It really was a crap hole that's for sure, I particularly remember the stewards trying and failing to stop us town fans from getting on the pitch at the final whistle, that was funny.
Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 19:00 - Apr 25 with 2868 viewsJohnhoz

No. I bloody missed it. I did about 35 games that season but knew I was gonna miss Oxford away and Brighton at home. I was desperate for us to beat Grimsby at home and it was a terrible 0-0.

Still I was at the manor ground in 1997 to see Dozzell's last goal for Ipswich. I think that was his last ever performance for us too. He was on loan from Northampton at the time I believe. Strange................

I reckon we should sack the manager every time we lose a game
Poll: Right now, why do you go to games

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 19:22 - Apr 25 with 2849 viewscarlisleaway

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 19:00 - Apr 25 by Johnhoz

No. I bloody missed it. I did about 35 games that season but knew I was gonna miss Oxford away and Brighton at home. I was desperate for us to beat Grimsby at home and it was a terrible 0-0.

Still I was at the manor ground in 1997 to see Dozzell's last goal for Ipswich. I think that was his last ever performance for us too. He was on loan from Northampton at the time I believe. Strange................

Who was at the Manor Ground when we went in at half time 3 up then in the second half gave 4 goals away all in front of the Ipswich fans
Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 19:57 - Apr 25 with 2812 viewsbobbyforever

Yes I was there. Had a mare climbing over the fence at the end but without a doubt the best season I've ever watched Ipswich Town. I was 16 and went with all my mates on the bury bus. Can't believe it was 25 years ago
Login to get fewer ads

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 20:45 - Apr 25 with 2779 viewsWarkystache

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 19:57 - Apr 25 by bobbyforever

Yes I was there. Had a mare climbing over the fence at the end but without a doubt the best season I've ever watched Ipswich Town. I was 16 and went with all my mates on the bury bus. Can't believe it was 25 years ago

I was there - turned 18 on the day as well!!!

Went with me mate Simmy. He'd turned 18 in the previous October and had a car. We had tickets for the stand behind the goal and it was like sardines in there.

We drove there and back on Pepsi, but when we got back to Chelmsford, we went down The Railway and got hammered. Think I cried as well. It was all a bit much.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 21:06 - Apr 25 with 2753 viewsDormansBlue

What a day! Went on my own on the coach 'just to be there'. Don't recall it being a great match & initially disappointed by the draw until other results came in. At the end I was urging the fans sitting on the fencing to ***-img move so I could get on the pitch! I was v close to Thommo when he was interviewed. Ended up on top of the players tunnel waving my Union Jack-Town flag at the masses on the pitch. On the way home I was handed a pile of shrapnel- I'd had the scorer in the sweepstake which was a nice bonus. Radio 5 played 'the boys are back in town' on the 606 show. By the time I'd got back to the Grosvenor in FX to get lagered up my emotions were spent & I just nursed a pint all evening.

Nb: as a footnote it's interesting that we helped Brighton get relegated at the next (final) game. And look where they are now...
Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 21:15 - Apr 25 with 2746 viewsmediamatt

I was in the Directors box, courtesy of my old mans employers. Reminded it was the Directors box when I was dancing about like a loon. 20 years old and wasn't going stop for anyone!

Days like this are what it's all about. Sadly 25 years later I have cancelled as I'm certain they'll never be seen again under the current regime.
Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 21:43 - Apr 25 with 2712 viewsLetchworth_Blue

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 21:15 - Apr 25 by mediamatt

I was in the Directors box, courtesy of my old mans employers. Reminded it was the Directors box when I was dancing about like a loon. 20 years old and wasn't going stop for anyone!

Days like this are what it's all about. Sadly 25 years later I have cancelled as I'm certain they'll never be seen again under the current regime.

Yep i was there, 17 years old and easily one of my best days as a town fan. All of us listening out for the Leicester result on little transistors, going onto the pitch and hugging kiwomya. He was proper sh1tting himself!

Twtd..
Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 21:58 - Apr 25 with 2687 viewshenley07

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 21:43 - Apr 25 by Letchworth_Blue

Yep i was there, 17 years old and easily one of my best days as a town fan. All of us listening out for the Leicester result on little transistors, going onto the pitch and hugging kiwomya. He was proper sh1tting himself!

Twtd..

We must be same age letchworth,great times,is it just me or were there a couple of random little stands at the manor ground too?
Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 22:50 - Apr 25 with 2657 viewsHKitfc

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 09:54 - Apr 25 by gainsboroughblue

It really was something else. I ended up at Hollywood's alone at 2 in the morning via an altercation in Oxford city centre which had split me up from my group and hiding in train toilets as I had lost ticket/money to pay for one.

There was a big altercation that day in the city! You were lucky to get to Hollywood's by 2, I think most of that group were still in Oxford at that time.
Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 22:50 - Apr 25 with 2658 viewsStNeotsBlue

That is my favourite season so far. We went into that season with zero expectation and were superb, Millwall and Southend away were highlights as well, Southend is when I started to dare to believe it was our year.

I was 17 at the time and it was a magnificent period of my life, Town were fantastic, I could get served in most pubs and the young lady I was seeing from St Ives was eager to please.

Now Town aren't so great, nobody has asked me for ID in 20+ years and I foolishly binned off the bird from St Ives. B*gger.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2017 22:56]
Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 23:17 - Apr 25 with 2629 viewsMelford

Brilliant. Me and my old man were there. My favourite season ever.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 23:45 - Apr 25 with 2597 viewsTractorJed

Yep I was there, no ticket so in with Oxford Fans main stand side.

Managed to get Neil Thompson match shirt that day.
Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 07:43 - Apr 26 with 2532 viewsWallingford_Boy

Yep!

Scaling a gate at the end to get on the pitch, just at the same time they opened it up!

Proper away end.

RIP Sir Bobby

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 08:07 - Apr 26 with 2513 viewsevansblue

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 07:43 - Apr 26 by Wallingford_Boy

Yep!

Scaling a gate at the end to get on the pitch, just at the same time they opened it up!

Proper away end.

Same thing happened to me. The fences seems pretty high as well from memory. I was determined though and rather than get down I managed to get over the fence and on the pitch.
I went on the coaches with several other Felixstowe lads. Like someone else further up in the thread I ended the night in the grosvenor in Felixstowe. Best pub around back in the day but us sea siders were perhaps easily pleased.
Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 09:13 - Apr 26 with 2483 viewsRadlett_blue

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 19:00 - Apr 25 by Johnhoz

Yeah, his last Town game as a 2-1 League Cup win at the Manor ground in November 1997 & he got the winner. I wasn't at that game, but was there when we lost 1-0 at the same ground on a lovely sunny afternoon about a month before. I think he was out of contract at the time or on loan from Spurs, GB decided he didn't want him & he then signed for Northampton.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024