Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Policies in Layman's Terms 12:33 - Apr 25 with 6994 viewsBLUEBEAT

Let's just strip it down to the basics....

How any decent human being can take preference with the blue side is beyond me

Source information:

Corbyn > https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10133/jeremy_corbyn/islington_north/votes

May > https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10426/theresa_may/maidenhead/votes
[Post edited 25 Apr 2017 17:25]

Poll: W or W

Policies in Layman's Terms on 13:31 - Apr 25 with 1283 viewsgiant_stow

Bexit: both waived through merrily on its way.

Unfortunately, I realised that my local MP Stella Creasy, voted against the brexit bill so I'll have to go red this time. Shame, I was looking forward to voting Liberal.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Policies in Layman's Terms on 13:32 - Apr 25 with 1276 viewsGeoffSentence

on 13:31 - Apr 25 by _

I'm not getting close Libby, I have arrived.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Policies in Layman's Terms on 13:33 - Apr 25 with 1271 viewsgiant_stow

Policies in Layman's Terms on 13:32 - Apr 25 by GeoffSentence

this one has legs - well played OP - should pass the time this afternoon.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Policies in Layman's Terms on 13:33 - Apr 25 with 1267 viewsStokieBlue

Policies in Layman's Terms on 13:20 - Apr 25 by BLUEBEAT

It's Corbyn/May, not Torie/Labour. Soak it in.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2017 13:40]

So it's totally irrelevant then since neither of those individuals controls the policies of the entire party and we don't vote for individuals as a president.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Policies in Layman's Terms on 13:34 - Apr 25 with 1265 viewsStokieBlue

Policies in Layman's Terms on 13:22 - Apr 25 by Dubtractor

It is based on the respective voting records of May and Corbyn, not their parties. Hence the column headers.

Incidentally, you seem to have taken on the mantle of Bullbeck/Sparks with your determination to fact check pretty much every statement on here recently.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2017 13:24]

Not at all, I hardly ever fact check anything as can't be on here most the days. Just annoying when random stuff is posted. Are you against facts?

I missed it was May/Corbyn - entirely my fault. Still not sure it's relevant given we don't vote for a president and there are checks and balances within the parties and processes.

SB
[Post edited 25 Apr 2017 13:36]

on 13:35 - Apr 25 with 1244 views_

Policies in Layman's Terms on 13:37 - Apr 25 with 1250 viewsGlasgowBlue

Policies in Layman's Terms on 13:30 - Apr 25 by WeWereZombies

But it is not as simple as that, is it? For example:

'Or that I am less of a decent human being because I believe that by lowering the rate of corporation tax the UK becomes a mire attractive place for foreign business to in vest in, thereby creating extra jobs in the country? '

If inward investment results in lower paid jobs and loss of control by central and/or local government over significant economic and environmental benefits to the state or specific localities perhaps higher rates of taxation are more of a decent thing to do, especially if that in turn is a spur to attain higher levels of education and skills keeping a country or group of countries at the top table rather than the bottom of the barrel?
[Post edited 25 Apr 2017 13:50]

Your willingness to debate the issue shows why the op was so ridiculously simplistic in his op. People have difference of opinion over what effect a policy may have. As we have both demonstrated.

It makes neither of us less of a decent human being for reaching those conclusions.

The bedroom tax (it's not a tax) for example. One person could believe people in social housing should continue to live in a three bedroom whilst struggling families, desperate for family sized accommodation are having to live in bedsits. Another could find that situation absolutely scandalous and support the government's measure to free up much needed housing stock.

Again, neither are any less of a decent human being than the other.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2017 13:41]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Policies in Layman's Terms on 13:39 - Apr 25 with 1245 viewsDubtractor

Policies in Layman's Terms on 13:34 - Apr 25 by StokieBlue

Not at all, I hardly ever fact check anything as can't be on here most the days. Just annoying when random stuff is posted. Are you against facts?

I missed it was May/Corbyn - entirely my fault. Still not sure it's relevant given we don't vote for a president and there are checks and balances within the parties and processes.

SB
[Post edited 25 Apr 2017 13:36]

Not against facts, just gently stirring the pot whilst on the dunny.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Login to get fewer ads

Policies in Layman's Terms on 13:42 - Apr 25 with 1232 viewsgiant_stow

Policies in Layman's Terms on 13:39 - Apr 25 by Dubtractor

Not against facts, just gently stirring the pot whilst on the dunny.

in fairness to the bastad tories, all 'facts' need interpretation.

Re austerity for example, some of them made the strong argument that without cuts now, we'd affectively be stealing resources from our children and grand children. The morals aren't simple.

Policies in Layman's Terms on 13:43 - Apr 25 with 1224 viewsGlasgowBlue

I'm not sure what you have arrived at as Libby is on my obsessive weirdo stalker list along with Banksterslave or whatever she is called.

Iron Lion Zion

on 13:44 - Apr 25 with 1211 views_

Policies in Layman's Terms on 13:43 - Apr 25 by GlasgowBlue

I'm not sure what you have arrived at as Libby is on my obsessive weirdo stalker list along with Banksterslave or whatever she is called.

Policies in Layman's Terms on 13:57 - Apr 25 with 1184 viewsWeWereZombies

Policies in Layman's Terms on 13:37 - Apr 25 by GlasgowBlue

Your willingness to debate the issue shows why the op was so ridiculously simplistic in his op. People have difference of opinion over what effect a policy may have. As we have both demonstrated.

It makes neither of us less of a decent human being for reaching those conclusions.

The bedroom tax (it's not a tax) for example. One person could believe people in social housing should continue to live in a three bedroom whilst struggling families, desperate for family sized accommodation are having to live in bedsits. Another could find that situation absolutely scandalous and support the government's measure to free up much needed housing stock.

Again, neither are any less of a decent human being than the other.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2017 13:41]

Again, on the bedroom tax I find the framing of the position too limiting and proposed solutions autocratic and insensitive to personal circumstances. Why focus on individuals who, either through the normal channels of inheritance or as a result of children growing up and moving away (or even through death in the family), are in possession of an extra room or two but disadvantaged in the housing market if they try and move? And they may like the place and the community they live in, even be valued in it.

George Clarke in his Channel Four programmes has often highlighted the abundance of unused housing stock in the UK, he has even placed solutions right under the noses of Government ministers but it seems that the political will to tackle the big beasts of the property market is not there. Instead they choose to scapegoat the people less able to stand up for themselves.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Policies in Layman's Terms on 14:08 - Apr 25 with 1166 viewsGlasgowBlue

Policies in Layman's Terms on 13:57 - Apr 25 by WeWereZombies

Again, on the bedroom tax I find the framing of the position too limiting and proposed solutions autocratic and insensitive to personal circumstances. Why focus on individuals who, either through the normal channels of inheritance or as a result of children growing up and moving away (or even through death in the family), are in possession of an extra room or two but disadvantaged in the housing market if they try and move? And they may like the place and the community they live in, even be valued in it.

George Clarke in his Channel Four programmes has often highlighted the abundance of unused housing stock in the UK, he has even placed solutions right under the noses of Government ministers but it seems that the political will to tackle the big beasts of the property market is not there. Instead they choose to scapegoat the people less able to stand up for themselves.

I actually thought the bedroom tax (it's not a tax) was poorly thought out and was a blunt instrument.

But I'm not debating the rights or wrongs pf policy. I am using it, as I have others, as an example that two people may have different opinions on a policy and neither of them is any less a decent human being than the other.

Iron Lion Zion

Policies in Layman's Terms on 14:10 - Apr 25 with 1160 viewsblue_oyster

Is there a serious list of issues?

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

on 14:11 - Apr 25 with 1146 views_

Policies in Layman's Terms on 14:10 - Apr 25 by blue_oyster

Policies in Layman's Terms on 14:19 - Apr 25 with 1139 viewsWeWereZombies

on 14:11 - Apr 25 by _

Do Shefki or Pablo, Cheddar or Stilton appear on that list?

Policies in Layman's Terms on 14:33 - Apr 25 with 1119 viewsArcher4721

Policies in Layman's Terms on 13:27 - Apr 25 by GlasgowBlue

Then can we add a row which shows which one of the two supported the IRA during their bombing campaign against innocent civilians?

Because I can't see how any decent human being can vote for somebody who has done that.

But you're fine with decent hunan beings voting for someone who voted down the child refugee plan.

Something you keep telling us is so important to you.
Policies in Layman's Terms on 14:37 - Apr 25 with 1111 viewsArcher4721

Policies in Layman's Terms on 14:10 - Apr 25 by blue_oyster

Well here's a list of some of the Tories achievements in the last seven years.

Nearly 40 million people live in UK areas with illegal air pollution

Pauper’s funerals levels ‘soar’
FoI data from councils reveals state-funded “pauper’s funerals” have risen by 47 per cent between 2011 and 2015.

New grammars ‘will favour only the few’
The Church of England, the largest single provider of schools in England, says the Government’s plans to create hundreds of new grammar schools will only cater for a select group of high achievers.

Thousands more patients hit by the closure of GP surgeries
More than a quarter of a million patients in England were forced to move to a different GPs’ surgery because of practice closures last year.

Mental health patients forced to travel
The number of adults with mental health problems forced to travel to get care has risen as funds are "raided" to plug holes in other NHS budgets, says the Sunday Mirror.

Bin confusion
More than three quarters of families are confused by council recycling rules, a survey by waste clearance company EnviroWaste has found.

Schools 'cut staff due to funding shortages'
Schools in England are cutting back on teachers and teaching assistants (TAs) because of financial constraints, a survey for the Sutton Trust suggests.

Housing associations under fire over faults at new-build developments
Housing associations responsible for more than 175,000 homes are facing allegations of serious neglect of their residents and properties.

Hundreds of children's playgrounds in England close owing to cuts
Hundreds of children’s playgrounds have been closed or are being closed by councils across England. Research by the Association of Play Industries found that 112 playgrounds were closed in 2014/15 and a further 102 in 2015/16. It said councils are planning to close 103 in the current budget period with at least 51 closures planned for 2018.

Broadband at peak times is half the speed firms promise
Broadband customer are getting only around half the speed they pay for during peak times, the industry watchdog has said.

Lack of post-hospital care 'leaving mental health patients at risk’
Thousands of vulnerable people are being left at increased risk of suicide because NHS mental health teams in England and Wales are not checking up on them within a week of their discharge from hospital, according to an investigation by charity Mind.

Childline receives 4,000 calls from 'lonely' children
More than 4,000 children contacted Childline in the past year because they were lonely, new data shows.

UK firms 'struggling to recruit staff'
A survey by the British Chamber of Commerce has found UK firms want to hire more workers but cannot find or afford the right staff

Heathrow third runway: Councils spent £350,000 on legal action
Four councils under Heathrow Airport's flight path - Hillingdon, Wandsworth, Richmond and Windsor and Maidenhead - spent £350,000 on legal fees challenging the planned third runway, Freedom of Information figures reveal.

2,600 die on wards waiting for social care
Figures uncovered using Freedom of Information laws reveal more than 2,600 people died in hospital last year waiting for adequate social care after being declared medically fit to leave. This is a 44 per cent increase on 2015 and a 61 per cent rise on 2014.

Schools 'depending on parents' direct debits'
Almost one in five parents in the UK are being asked to set up payments to their schools as headteachers warn of budget shortages, an NASUWT survey has revealed.

Homeless families being ‘forced’ from London
London councils are reportedly making “take it or leave it” offers of housing far from the capital in an attempt to resettle hundreds of homeless families. It is alleged that some household are being given 24 hours to accept private rented homes in the west Midlands, Essex and the south East.

Councils get bonuses in flats 'rip-off'
Tens of millions of pounds have been paid to councils for tiny "micro-flats" converted without planning permission and criticised as being poor and dangerous accommodation. Campaigners want an inquiry into why councils have received New Homes Bonus payments for each converted house and the Communities and Local Government Select Committee said it would investigate. The LGA has called on government to close a legal loophole that allows landlords to convert small two or three bedroom houses into five or six units without planning permission.

Scrapped free schools 'wasted' nearly £140m, says NUT
Almost £140 million has been "wasted" on free schools and other new types of schools, which either closed early or failed to open at all, the National Union of Teachers has warned.

Extremism fears as illegal schools teach 6,000 pupils
Up to 6,000 pupils are being taught in schools operating illegally, new figures show. In the past 15 months, Ofsted inspectors have identified 241 suspected illegal schools in England.

Elderly’s free drug deliveries face axe
More than a million sick, disabled and elderly people may have to pay to receive vital drugs, pharmacists warn today. The National Pharmacy Association has also warned that a quarter of pharmacies could disappear from high streets because of funding cuts.

Bungles of ‘wasters’ in town halls
A feature suggesting “huge sums” of money have been wasted by councils in recent years. Examples cited include a council paying to install a cycle lane but forgetting to lower the curb to allow cyclists onto it, resident surveys and copies of expensive reports being lost. It comes after a report by the TaxPayers' Alliance criticised senior council staff pay.

Special needs pupils 'lose out as budgets are squeezed'
Teachers at the NASUWT's annual conference raised concerns that with school budgets tightening, it may become harder to support special needs children in mainstream schools.

Government's 30-hours free childcare plan 'under threat’
The Government's plan to provide parents with 30 hours of free childcare appears to be in danger after one in five nurseries warned they would not take part in the scheme.

Schools cuts fall hardest on least affluent
Analysis of Department for Education data by the Child Poverty Action Group and the National Union of Teachers has found that schools with the poorest children face greater cuts per pupil than those with the most affluent pupils, under the Government’s proposed funding formula.

Care homes keep charging after loved one dies
Care homes are charging families for weeks after the death of an elderly relative in some instances, prompting a string of complaints to the competition watchdog that is investigating the sector.

Thousands of children miss out on first choice of primary school
Thousands of children in England have lost out on their first choice of primary school this year, as councils face increasing pressure to provide enough places for a rapidly growing population.

Housing problems causing mental illness
The charity Shelter says that housing problems in England are causing people anxiety, depression and panic attacks.

Fears for British teens literacy and maths skills
Britain faces a skills crisis as youngsters fall behind in reading and maths, a report by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development reveals.

Town fete cancelled for ‘lack of a terrorist plan’
A fete to be held in the market town of Devizes, Wiltshire, has been cancelled after council officials reportedly told organisers that they did not have a satisfactory plan to deal with a terrorist attack.

More than 200,000 homes in England lie empty
More than 200,000 homes in England with a total value of £43 billion were empty for at least six months during 2016 despite the national shortage of properties to rent and buy, according to a new report.

Police forced to lock up vulnerable after mental health cuts
Police are being forced to treat people with mental health issues like criminals, it is reported. A lack of ambulances and hospital beds in many areas means vulnerable people are ending up locked in police cells rather than getting the care they need, according to the annual State of Policing report by Sir Tom Winsor, HM Chief Inspector of Constabulary.

Schools gap fear
More than one in four secondary schools are under-performing compared with one in seven primary schools, new National Foundation for Educational Research statistics show.

May risks backlash over tax and foreign aid
Theresa May has announced that she will continue Britain's commitment to spending 0.7 per cent of national income on foreign aid, and has also refused to rule out ending the "triple lock" on state pension rises. The Chancellor Philip Hammond has also indicated that the Conservatives could abandon a previous commitment not to increase taxes.

'There's no evidence of a Northern Powerhouse'
A feature in the i paper looks ahead to the challenges faced by the new Tees Valley Mayor following next month's elections. It highlights a range of issues from jobs to public transport, with one local resident saying he sees "no evidence" of a Northern Powerhouse in the area.

Seven ways it helps to have rich parents
A piece by Andrew Hood from the Institute for Fiscal Studies looks at the financial challenges faced by young people, including steep house prices and low pay rises. It says the amount of wealth a person's parents have is likely to matter more than it did for older generations. One of the reasons includes young adults being much less likely to own their own home. It references the LGA reporting in December that just 20 per cent of those aged 25 own their own property, compared with 46 per cent two decades ago.

Affordable housing pledges swept under mat
An investigation by the 35% Campaign has found that developers are reneging on promises to build affordable housing alongside those being sold at full market rates.

NHS: 'smokers and obese must wait for surgery'
A leaked letter has revealed that local NHS bosses across England are planning to extend "lifestyle rationing" that forces smokers and obese patients to wait months for hip and knee operations. Doctors believe this could affect tens of thousands of patients.

Huge weight on hospitals
The Sunday Mirror reports NHS Digital figures that show the number of obese people having surgery to lose weight has increased six-fold in 10 years. There were nearly 6,500 cases last year, compared with just over 1,000 a decade previously.

Poor community healthcare linked to rise in infant emergency cases
The number of emergency hospital admissions for children suffering conditions such as asthma, bronchitis and jaundice has increased sharply in the past decade, according to a report on children’s care by the Nuffield Trust.

1 in 4 school staff lack degree in subject they teach
Analysis by school recruitment experts TeachVac has found that more than a quarter of teachers in many key subjects do not have a relevant degree in their field. The number has risen by 4 per cent in two years.
on 14:40 - Apr 25 with 1099 views_

Policies in Layman's Terms on 14:37 - Apr 25 by Archer4721

Well here's a list of some of the Tories achievements in the last seven years.

Nearly 40 million people live in UK areas with illegal air pollution

Pauper’s funerals levels ‘soar’
FoI data from councils reveals state-funded “pauper’s funerals” have risen by 47 per cent between 2011 and 2015.

New grammars ‘will favour only the few’
The Church of England, the largest single provider of schools in England, says the Government’s plans to create hundreds of new grammar schools will only cater for a select group of high achievers.

Thousands more patients hit by the closure of GP surgeries
More than a quarter of a million patients in England were forced to move to a different GPs’ surgery because of practice closures last year.

Mental health patients forced to travel
The number of adults with mental health problems forced to travel to get care has risen as funds are "raided" to plug holes in other NHS budgets, says the Sunday Mirror.

Bin confusion
More than three quarters of families are confused by council recycling rules, a survey by waste clearance company EnviroWaste has found.

Schools 'cut staff due to funding shortages'
Schools in England are cutting back on teachers and teaching assistants (TAs) because of financial constraints, a survey for the Sutton Trust suggests.

Housing associations under fire over faults at new-build developments
Housing associations responsible for more than 175,000 homes are facing allegations of serious neglect of their residents and properties.

Hundreds of children's playgrounds in England close owing to cuts
Hundreds of children’s playgrounds have been closed or are being closed by councils across England. Research by the Association of Play Industries found that 112 playgrounds were closed in 2014/15 and a further 102 in 2015/16. It said councils are planning to close 103 in the current budget period with at least 51 closures planned for 2018.

Broadband at peak times is half the speed firms promise
Broadband customer are getting only around half the speed they pay for during peak times, the industry watchdog has said.

Lack of post-hospital care 'leaving mental health patients at risk’
Thousands of vulnerable people are being left at increased risk of suicide because NHS mental health teams in England and Wales are not checking up on them within a week of their discharge from hospital, according to an investigation by charity Mind.

Childline receives 4,000 calls from 'lonely' children
More than 4,000 children contacted Childline in the past year because they were lonely, new data shows.

UK firms 'struggling to recruit staff'
A survey by the British Chamber of Commerce has found UK firms want to hire more workers but cannot find or afford the right staff

Heathrow third runway: Councils spent £350,000 on legal action
Four councils under Heathrow Airport's flight path - Hillingdon, Wandsworth, Richmond and Windsor and Maidenhead - spent £350,000 on legal fees challenging the planned third runway, Freedom of Information figures reveal.

2,600 die on wards waiting for social care
Figures uncovered using Freedom of Information laws reveal more than 2,600 people died in hospital last year waiting for adequate social care after being declared medically fit to leave. This is a 44 per cent increase on 2015 and a 61 per cent rise on 2014.

Schools 'depending on parents' direct debits'
Almost one in five parents in the UK are being asked to set up payments to their schools as headteachers warn of budget shortages, an NASUWT survey has revealed.

Homeless families being ‘forced’ from London
London councils are reportedly making “take it or leave it” offers of housing far from the capital in an attempt to resettle hundreds of homeless families. It is alleged that some household are being given 24 hours to accept private rented homes in the west Midlands, Essex and the south East.

Councils get bonuses in flats 'rip-off'
Tens of millions of pounds have been paid to councils for tiny "micro-flats" converted without planning permission and criticised as being poor and dangerous accommodation. Campaigners want an inquiry into why councils have received New Homes Bonus payments for each converted house and the Communities and Local Government Select Committee said it would investigate. The LGA has called on government to close a legal loophole that allows landlords to convert small two or three bedroom houses into five or six units without planning permission.

Scrapped free schools 'wasted' nearly £140m, says NUT
Almost £140 million has been "wasted" on free schools and other new types of schools, which either closed early or failed to open at all, the National Union of Teachers has warned.

Extremism fears as illegal schools teach 6,000 pupils
Up to 6,000 pupils are being taught in schools operating illegally, new figures show. In the past 15 months, Ofsted inspectors have identified 241 suspected illegal schools in England.

Elderly’s free drug deliveries face axe
More than a million sick, disabled and elderly people may have to pay to receive vital drugs, pharmacists warn today. The National Pharmacy Association has also warned that a quarter of pharmacies could disappear from high streets because of funding cuts.

Bungles of ‘wasters’ in town halls
A feature suggesting “huge sums” of money have been wasted by councils in recent years. Examples cited include a council paying to install a cycle lane but forgetting to lower the curb to allow cyclists onto it, resident surveys and copies of expensive reports being lost. It comes after a report by the TaxPayers' Alliance criticised senior council staff pay.

Special needs pupils 'lose out as budgets are squeezed'
Teachers at the NASUWT's annual conference raised concerns that with school budgets tightening, it may become harder to support special needs children in mainstream schools.

Government's 30-hours free childcare plan 'under threat’
The Government's plan to provide parents with 30 hours of free childcare appears to be in danger after one in five nurseries warned they would not take part in the scheme.

Schools cuts fall hardest on least affluent
Analysis of Department for Education data by the Child Poverty Action Group and the National Union of Teachers has found that schools with the poorest children face greater cuts per pupil than those with the most affluent pupils, under the Government’s proposed funding formula.

Care homes keep charging after loved one dies
Care homes are charging families for weeks after the death of an elderly relative in some instances, prompting a string of complaints to the competition watchdog that is investigating the sector.

Thousands of children miss out on first choice of primary school
Thousands of children in England have lost out on their first choice of primary school this year, as councils face increasing pressure to provide enough places for a rapidly growing population.

Housing problems causing mental illness
The charity Shelter says that housing problems in England are causing people anxiety, depression and panic attacks.

Fears for British teens literacy and maths skills
Britain faces a skills crisis as youngsters fall behind in reading and maths, a report by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development reveals.

Town fete cancelled for ‘lack of a terrorist plan’
A fete to be held in the market town of Devizes, Wiltshire, has been cancelled after council officials reportedly told organisers that they did not have a satisfactory plan to deal with a terrorist attack.

More than 200,000 homes in England lie empty
More than 200,000 homes in England with a total value of £43 billion were empty for at least six months during 2016 despite the national shortage of properties to rent and buy, according to a new report.

Police forced to lock up vulnerable after mental health cuts
Police are being forced to treat people with mental health issues like criminals, it is reported. A lack of ambulances and hospital beds in many areas means vulnerable people are ending up locked in police cells rather than getting the care they need, according to the annual State of Policing report by Sir Tom Winsor, HM Chief Inspector of Constabulary.

Schools gap fear
More than one in four secondary schools are under-performing compared with one in seven primary schools, new National Foundation for Educational Research statistics show.

May risks backlash over tax and foreign aid
Theresa May has announced that she will continue Britain's commitment to spending 0.7 per cent of national income on foreign aid, and has also refused to rule out ending the "triple lock" on state pension rises. The Chancellor Philip Hammond has also indicated that the Conservatives could abandon a previous commitment not to increase taxes.

'There's no evidence of a Northern Powerhouse'
A feature in the i paper looks ahead to the challenges faced by the new Tees Valley Mayor following next month's elections. It highlights a range of issues from jobs to public transport, with one local resident saying he sees "no evidence" of a Northern Powerhouse in the area.

Seven ways it helps to have rich parents
A piece by Andrew Hood from the Institute for Fiscal Studies looks at the financial challenges faced by young people, including steep house prices and low pay rises. It says the amount of wealth a person's parents have is likely to matter more than it did for older generations. One of the reasons includes young adults being much less likely to own their own home. It references the LGA reporting in December that just 20 per cent of those aged 25 own their own property, compared with 46 per cent two decades ago.

Affordable housing pledges swept under mat
An investigation by the 35% Campaign has found that developers are reneging on promises to build affordable housing alongside those being sold at full market rates.

NHS: 'smokers and obese must wait for surgery'
A leaked letter has revealed that local NHS bosses across England are planning to extend "lifestyle rationing" that forces smokers and obese patients to wait months for hip and knee operations. Doctors believe this could affect tens of thousands of patients.

Huge weight on hospitals
The Sunday Mirror reports NHS Digital figures that show the number of obese people having surgery to lose weight has increased six-fold in 10 years. There were nearly 6,500 cases last year, compared with just over 1,000 a decade previously.

Poor community healthcare linked to rise in infant emergency cases
The number of emergency hospital admissions for children suffering conditions such as asthma, bronchitis and jaundice has increased sharply in the past decade, according to a report on children’s care by the Nuffield Trust.

1 in 4 school staff lack degree in subject they teach
Analysis by school recruitment experts TeachVac has found that more than a quarter of teachers in many key subjects do not have a relevant degree in their field. The number has risen by 4 per cent in two years.

Policies in Layman's Terms on 14:41 - Apr 25 with 1101 viewsGlasgowBlue

Policies in Layman's Terms on 14:33 - Apr 25 by Archer4721

But you're fine with decent hunan beings voting for someone who voted down the child refugee plan.

Something you keep telling us is so important to you.

http://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/398857/this-is-shameful-stuff-by-the-government/#0

http://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/365849/cameron-should-be-ashamed-of-himself

But I look at the bigger picture. How many refugees could we take if we lived under a bankrupt Corbyn government?

How could we continue our foreign aid commitment under bankrupt Corbyn government?

The UK government is currently the highest spender in the EU on resettling refugees temporarily in countries close to Syria, such as Jordan, from which they are much more likely to return and help rebuild the country when and if this bloody civil war ever ends.How would we be able to fund such a worthwhile scheme under a bankrupt Corbyn government?

You could find better subjects to try and trap me on dear boy. This ain't one of them.

Iron Lion Zion

Policies in Layman's Terms on 14:44 - Apr 25 with 1094 viewsblue_oyster

on 14:11 - Apr 25 by _

If you want to start with the 'basics' in layman's terms, then at least include Crime, Education and Health which affect the majority of people in this country. Not minority issues. This is not a serious list.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

on 14:45 - Apr 25 with 1087 views_

Policies in Layman's Terms on 14:44 - Apr 25 by blue_oyster

If you want to start with the 'basics' in layman's terms, then at least include Crime, Education and Health which affect the majority of people in this country. Not minority issues. This is not a serious list.

Policies in Layman's Terms on 14:47 - Apr 25 with 1084 viewsWeWereZombies

on 14:40 - Apr 25 by _

Doesn't need to do that, he could have posted each one of those points as a link to a twelve page article...

Policies in Layman's Terms on 14:48 - Apr 25 with 1077 viewsStokieBlue

on 14:45 - Apr 25 by _

SB

on 14:57 - Apr 25 with 1060 views_

Policies in Layman's Terms on 14:48 - Apr 25 by StokieBlue

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024