Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joey Barton 00:13 - Apr 27 with 5067 viewsvapour_trail

What's the board view then, appreciate there's feck all of you here.

Harsh as, I thought.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Joey Barton on 10:20 - Apr 27 with 1371 viewschicoazul

Joey Barton on 03:33 - Apr 27 by Illinoisblue

A terrible gambler... loss after loss after loss. 18 months is harsh although as he wasn't punished for his cheating v Lincoln in the cup, fook him.

One of his bets was a £500 bet against his own team. He also bet on himself to score the first goal another time. So you can see why the FA ave the hump.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Joey Barton on 10:21 - Apr 27 with 1370 viewschicoazul

Joey Barton on 07:34 - Apr 27 by poppiesman

The bloke is a grade A idiot.
No excuse for what he did (cant hide behind the so called claimed addiction illness either) as the rules are very clear and he broke them over a ten year period don't forget.
18 months is about right, and hopefully the ban also includes not being allowed on tv as a pundit. Bad enough with Robbie Savage!

Off topic but Robbie Savage is good!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Joey Barton on 12:00 - Apr 27 with 1338 viewsbritbiker

Joey Barton on 09:54 - Apr 27 by BlueBadger

Well, one's of them's effectively ended someone's career, the other will be able to attend again after their ban is over.

So based on that argument, if he had done the same thing as a 20 year old then the ban would be acceptable
The fact he is 34 is irrelevant. You can't have weaker fins based solely on the fact he is nearing the end of his playing career. It's about time people take responsibility for their own actions
Joey Barton on 12:24 - Apr 27 with 1320 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Joey Barton on 08:18 - Apr 27 by itfcjoe

There's a huge difference to what the cricketers did to what Joey did, I think the punishment here is far too harsh.

Bloke is clearly a problem gambler, sticking £5 on yourself to score first when you earn >£50k a week isn't match fixing its indication of a problem. A ban to the end of the season would have probably been harsh - let alone a career ender

How much do you think would be worthy of a long ban?

I think addiction is a mitigating factor here but not an excuse. As soon as you're betting on a sporting event you're involved in punishments have to be harsh given the potential implications, and it could easily be argued that 18 months is lenient compared to what could have been handed out (and therefore seemingly takes into account the addiction, low stakes, type of bet etc)

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Joey Barton on 17:09 - Apr 27 with 1292 viewswkj

This isn't the first time he's been done for it, he had a very lenient 1 match ban from the Scotish FA - So I certainly think the FA have taken that into account when they hit him with an 18 month ban. I can't see it as too harsh as he had his warning shot already

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Joey Barton on 18:21 - Apr 27 with 1269 viewsPilgrimblue

Joey Barton on 17:09 - Apr 27 by wkj

This isn't the first time he's been done for it, he had a very lenient 1 match ban from the Scotish FA - So I certainly think the FA have taken that into account when they hit him with an 18 month ban. I can't see it as too harsh as he had his warning shot already

Correct and for him to whine and say it's harsh is ridiculous. For the FA to do nothing would send out wrong signal that gambling on football matches is OK would be unthinkable. We don't need the likes of Barton in the game and am so glad he's finished. Perhaps he should put something back for a change!
Joey Barton on 18:46 - Apr 27 with 1252 viewsJ2BLUE

If his ban is reversed I think we should offer him a contract. Not a massive contract but enough to be tempting if he hasn't got a lot of options. £6k a week or so. Would love him here to be honest.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Joey Barton on 20:00 - Apr 27 with 1229 viewssparks

Joey Barton on 18:46 - Apr 27 by J2BLUE

If his ban is reversed I think we should offer him a contract. Not a massive contract but enough to be tempting if he hasn't got a lot of options. £6k a week or so. Would love him here to be honest.

A non league manager of my acquaintance got 3 years for a fraction of the number of bets, in a league where the sums riding on matches and bets are a tiny tiny fraction of what they are in the leagues Barton has played in. And he was suspended whilst the investigation took place.

Punishment seems entirely appropriate to me. You have to be strict and scrupulous for the integrity of the game. Advertising is not an excuse.

He knew the rule and the punishment. He did it 1200 times over years. Any sort of addiction is no excuse- he has the funds for treatement if he needs it- and its not as if we excuse drunk drivers just because they have a drink problem.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2017 20:08]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Login to get fewer ads

Joey Barton on 20:25 - Apr 27 with 1208 viewsgordon

He may very well have a gambling addiction problem, but there are an awful lot of things you can gamble on without having to bet on your own team to lose. It's difficult to see how addiction can be an excuse. I was surprised it wasn't a life ban.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2017 20:27]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024