Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trichotillomania 04:10 - Apr 27 with 10282 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I imagine most people will have to google this.

I'm not really sure how to word this post so bear with me. This place will have to do as I can at least try to get my words out slowly.

I've spent the last hour having found out pretty easily on the internet that I think I've developed that mental disorder. I've know for a while I've got a problem but didn't realise it's an actual thing. Anyway for ages now (2/3 months maybe) I've developed an uncontrollable urge to pull out my eyelashes. That sounds so weird to type down but I can't find the words to actually say something out loud so this'll have to do.

I'm literally bald in my left eye and basically bald in my right eye. Every time I am pissed off or something happens, I would pull one out. And then another. Then another. It wouldn't hurt but actually felt good when one would rip out. A slight pain but then it would just calm me down.

I can't describe how bad it makes me feel afterwards as, when I point it out as I once did to my mum, i look ridiculous. But I can't stop myself. Genuinely the urge to do it is too much. As soon as I do, I feel almost relieved and much more chilled out. Until it hits me moments later and I realise what a moron it makes me. And then at some point that hour, that day or that night, the process happens all over again.

I feel quite gutted typing this out on my phone tbh. Taken me ages to try to explain it.

I thought it was just me being weird at first. Then I couldn't stop doing it. Managed to go 2 days without like a month ago but now I think I've pulled out the stumps. Finding out tonight that it's an actual thing - and the fact that they don't just grow back - has left me feeling even worse than normal. Plus of course the eyes and eyelids constantly hurt nowadays as I'm touching them for an hour or two every Bl00dy day

I don't know why I'm saying any of this tbh. Not sure if I want advice or just to be told to man up. But I'm confused as f**k.

Posting it here because i can trust the advice of you lot whilst remaining anonymous to the majority. Pointed it out to my best mate a couple of weeks ago and he couldn't stop laughing. I probably might've too if it was the other way round as I assume he didn't realise beforehand until I pointed them out.

Anyway.. I'm going to sleep. I await the replies in the morning. Apologies for the look at me thread. My mum knows about it but I have lied loads about carrying it on and would rather tell you lot who are mostly anonymous

What a weird thread this is
[Post edited 27 Apr 2017 4:26]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Trichotillomania on 09:03 - Apr 27 with 3034 viewsnoggin

I have pm'd you Rommy, as I have experience of hair pulling myself. Good luck fella, you're well on your way to curing the underlying problems, just by admitting it.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Trichotillomania on 09:18 - Apr 27 with 3011 viewsSwansea_Blue

Trichotillomania on 08:01 - Apr 27 by BlueAlex

I post rarely but I'm a Clinical Psychologist so can probably help a bit here. Firstly, people's suggestions are good but the most important is that you get support. GP is first stop for that.

It's basically a habit that you've developed, usually in response to something like stress or anxiety. These are ultimately what people need the help with in the longer term as it's the underlying issue. The hair pulling works in the same way as OCD really.

If you get to the point of addressing it with a professional as it sounds like you should then it'll most likely be using habit reversal therapy, which works using CBT principles. A fundamental component of that will be keeping a record of your hair pulling as much as you are aware of it as well as associated thoughts at the time etc. It's only through a full understanding of this that you'll change the behaviour.

First step is realising the problem. You've been brave enough to share and have got some supportive feedback. The biggest positive I can provide is that I've worked with lots of people with the same issue and it is very possible to manage and improve. You'll do it. All the best.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2017 8:26]

Weird stuff , never heard of it but this seems as good advice as possible. Go speak to someone using your GP as the way in to access people who can help.

And best of luck
[Post edited 27 Apr 2017 9:18]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Trichotillomania on 09:52 - Apr 27 with 2986 viewsBlueBadger

Trichotillomania on 09:18 - Apr 27 by Swansea_Blue

Weird stuff , never heard of it but this seems as good advice as possible. Go speak to someone using your GP as the way in to access people who can help.

And best of luck
[Post edited 27 Apr 2017 9:18]

Oh, and don't be afraid to keep going back. GP's tend to be either superb or utterly shocking at dealing with mental health related troubles, so don't let the boogers rest.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Trichotillomania on 10:13 - Apr 27 with 2966 viewsTLA

Trichotillomania on 09:52 - Apr 27 by BlueBadger

Oh, and don't be afraid to keep going back. GP's tend to be either superb or utterly shocking at dealing with mental health related troubles, so don't let the boogers rest.

It's also worth remembering that the most likely course of action the GP will take is to refer to an IAPT service (Improving Access to Psychological Therapy). It is possible to self-refer if the GP is an obstacle, rather than a useful conduit. As you say, some GPs are amazing and in those cases, regular contact is very helpful.
Trichotillomania on 10:15 - Apr 27 with 2958 viewsSwailsey

Trichotillomania on 10:13 - Apr 27 by TLA

It's also worth remembering that the most likely course of action the GP will take is to refer to an IAPT service (Improving Access to Psychological Therapy). It is possible to self-refer if the GP is an obstacle, rather than a useful conduit. As you say, some GPs are amazing and in those cases, regular contact is very helpful.

Getting a link worker is a big help as well - GPs love to do that as it takes the pressure of them and you can still meet with the LW at the practice.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Trichotillomania on 10:21 - Apr 27 with 2943 viewsTLA

Trichotillomania on 10:15 - Apr 27 by Swailsey

Getting a link worker is a big help as well - GPs love to do that as it takes the pressure of them and you can still meet with the LW at the practice.

Is there still a link worker team in Suffolk? I'm in Norfolk and the link worker team was dismantled a few years back. There are differences between Norfolk and Suffolk, even though it's the same MH Trust. Our link worker team used to be brilliant. I think the self-referral route to the Wellbeing Service now acts as the pressure valve for GPs.
Trichotillomania on 10:27 - Apr 27 with 2928 viewsSwailsey

Trichotillomania on 10:21 - Apr 27 by TLA

Is there still a link worker team in Suffolk? I'm in Norfolk and the link worker team was dismantled a few years back. There are differences between Norfolk and Suffolk, even though it's the same MH Trust. Our link worker team used to be brilliant. I think the self-referral route to the Wellbeing Service now acts as the pressure valve for GPs.

Yeah, I had one up until last year when I referred further on?

Really are great.

I had a nightmare with the Wellbeing Service, but that's another story.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Trichotillomania on 10:41 - Apr 27 with 2903 viewsTLA

Trichotillomania on 10:27 - Apr 27 by Swailsey

Yeah, I had one up until last year when I referred further on?

Really are great.

I had a nightmare with the Wellbeing Service, but that's another story.

I like the idea of the Wellbeing Service but would have to take any discussions about my feelings about some aspects of it offline!
Login to get fewer ads

Trichotillomania on 10:42 - Apr 27 with 2901 viewsSwailsey

Trichotillomania on 10:41 - Apr 27 by TLA

I like the idea of the Wellbeing Service but would have to take any discussions about my feelings about some aspects of it offline!

Yep.

Phil's filter would break the site.

Trichotillomania on 10:51 - Apr 27 with 2882 viewsRyorry

Well done for having the guts to post about this Rommy, sounds like a bad habit. Looks like loads of good advice on here from the 'TWTD 'family'. I'd thought you were still in ft education, hadn't kept up! Agree with what others have said re structure/routine in life being a Good Thing. Good luck in tackling it.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Trichotillomania on 12:32 - Apr 27 with 2838 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I'll just post one reply rather than individually. But thank you to everyone for the advice and to everyone who messaged me.

I was very surprised yesterday to see it's an actual thing tbh and thought if I posted on here, I'd be able to see if anyone thought I should see someone about it.

Even though I don't work at the moment, I think my mental health is good generally. Other than perhaps missing my closest mates when they're at Uni and getting bored easily. The latter really doesn't help. I've spent the last few months living off savings hoping to find a job that may be beneficial but unfortunately the rare times I find one, I'm not getting it anyway. Perhaps I need to just get anything. Which isn't what I had hoped to do but I probably could do with the routine

I think the boredom is when it happens the most - usually during the night with the telly on. My lack of being able to sleep doesn't help.

Thanks for the response TWTD. I guess I should see a doctor soon if I can't stop.

I'm hopin admitting to myself, now I know it's a real thing, that it's a problem will make me stop. If not, I'm ringing the GP unfortunately

Trichotillomania on 12:42 - Apr 27 with 2818 viewsJ2BLUE

Thanks for sharing. Don't be gutted about it. We all have little things. Mine is having to check the door is locked/oven is off about 5 times before i'm happy. I even replaced my bathroom taps to one I knew wouldn't make me check i'd turned it off about 5 times.

If I was you i'd look into normalising my routine. No more bed at 4am etc. Can't be doing you any good. There's several things you can do to help you get to sleep. You can get a relaxing pillow spray, have some sort of soothing sounds on (mine is heavy rain) and repeat to yourself calmly 'I am going to have a relaxing and peaceful nights sleep'. Telling yourself you can't fall asleep is the way to stay awake.

All the best.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Trichotillomania on 12:43 - Apr 27 with 2819 viewsBorisOrTrevor

Trichotillomania on 12:32 - Apr 27 by The_Romford_Blue

I'll just post one reply rather than individually. But thank you to everyone for the advice and to everyone who messaged me.

I was very surprised yesterday to see it's an actual thing tbh and thought if I posted on here, I'd be able to see if anyone thought I should see someone about it.

Even though I don't work at the moment, I think my mental health is good generally. Other than perhaps missing my closest mates when they're at Uni and getting bored easily. The latter really doesn't help. I've spent the last few months living off savings hoping to find a job that may be beneficial but unfortunately the rare times I find one, I'm not getting it anyway. Perhaps I need to just get anything. Which isn't what I had hoped to do but I probably could do with the routine

I think the boredom is when it happens the most - usually during the night with the telly on. My lack of being able to sleep doesn't help.

Thanks for the response TWTD. I guess I should see a doctor soon if I can't stop.

I'm hopin admitting to myself, now I know it's a real thing, that it's a problem will make me stop. If not, I'm ringing the GP unfortunately

Oh look we have another post talking about you.

This is your problem matey, your self obsessed and these threads just add fuel to the fire. Continue to talk about Racing, Footie etc where you are remarkably clued up and eloquent for somebody your age and quit the self publicising and displays of angst as they end up being self perpetuating.

BOT

Trichotillomania on 12:49 - Apr 27 with 2809 viewsNewcyBlue

Trichotillomania on 07:36 - Apr 27 by BanksterDebtSlave

http://www.fidgetcube.co/
Is this the sort of thing?

[Post edited 27 Apr 2017 7:40]

Exactly like that yes.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Trichotillomania on 12:54 - Apr 27 with 2798 viewsJ2BLUE

Trichotillomania on 12:43 - Apr 27 by BorisOrTrevor

This is your problem matey, your self obsessed and these threads just add fuel to the fire. Continue to talk about Racing, Footie etc where you are remarkably clued up and eloquent for somebody your age and quit the self publicising and displays of angst as they end up being self perpetuating.

Why bother replying? Why not hide the thread or stick him on ignore?

Truly impaired.

Trichotillomania on 12:55 - Apr 27 with 2799 viewsReuser_is_God

Yeah, apart from this 'self obsessed' thread hasn't added 'fuel to the fire'.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Trichotillomania on 12:59 - Apr 27 with 2787 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I haven't mentioned it in the months I've been doing it.

But yesterday seeing it was a real thing meant I felt I should speak to someone. Being anonymous on here, was why I chose this place.

You can stick me on ignore at any time.

This wasn't supposed to come across as self obsessed at all.

Trichotillomania on 13:12 - Apr 27 with 2762 viewsNewcyBlue

Is there something you would like to share with the group?

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Trichotillomania on 13:53 - Apr 27 with 2739 viewstaximan

Trichotillomania on 12:59 - Apr 27 by The_Romford_Blue

I haven't mentioned it in the months I've been doing it.

But yesterday seeing it was a real thing meant I felt I should speak to someone. Being anonymous on here, was why I chose this place.

You can stick me on ignore at any time.

This wasn't supposed to come across as self obsessed at all.

i reckon a job in a betting shop would suit you

you have an interest in racing and other sports, its a sociable job, so you would be meeting different people,
downside would be a bit of unsociable hours working

spending so much time in nothingness is not good
Trichotillomania on 14:00 - Apr 27 with 2725 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Trichotillomania on 13:53 - Apr 27 by taximan

i reckon a job in a betting shop would suit you

you have an interest in racing and other sports, its a sociable job, so you would be meeting different people,
downside would be a bit of unsociable hours working

spending so much time in nothingness is not good

I was looking at doing that a while back, applied for a few in Romford.

Coincidentally I read an article in the newspaper about unsafe jobs and Saw a statistic about armed robberies in betting shops - the number was over 1000 every year I think.

That put me off a little bit

But I agree that it would suit me. Will have another look as I'm abit bored these days

Trichotillomania on 14:39 - Apr 27 with 2693 viewsBlueBadger

Don't you get really TIRED of being deeply unpleasant ALL the time?
[Post edited 27 Apr 2017 15:07]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Trichotillomania on 15:07 - Apr 27 with 2656 viewsJ2BLUE

Trichotillomania on 13:12 - Apr 27 by NewcyBlue

Is there something you would like to share with the group?

That he's a cock? He's already shared that.

Truly impaired.

Trichotillomania on 15:21 - Apr 27 with 2640 viewsSteve_M

Trichotillomania on 12:32 - Apr 27 by The_Romford_Blue

Yes, plenty of good advice here as ever.

Nothing of any real worth to add but the boredom does seem to be the main thing here, guess you have to decide whether just doing some work is better than waiting for something more useful. Especially given the end of the football season opens up a lot more free weekends.

The suggestion of working in a bookies, whilst clearly well meant, is possibly not a good one imo. The risk is of replacing one form of compulsive behaviour with another.

Go see your GP anyway.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Trichotillomania on 15:40 - Apr 27 with 2608 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Trichotillomania on 15:21 - Apr 27 by Steve_M

Yes, plenty of good advice here as ever.

Nothing of any real worth to add but the boredom does seem to be the main thing here, guess you have to decide whether just doing some work is better than waiting for something more useful. Especially given the end of the football season opens up a lot more free weekends.

The suggestion of working in a bookies, whilst clearly well meant, is possibly not a good one imo. The risk is of replacing one form of compulsive behaviour with another.

Go see your GP anyway.

I think the boredom thing is very true

Perhaps just getting any job may be my best bet

Out of interest, when you saw me the other day, did you notice the bald eyes? I think they're only noticeable once pointed out but you can see something's different if people see me regularly

Trichotillomania on 16:04 - Apr 27 with 2583 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Trichotillomania on 08:01 - Apr 27 by BlueAlex

I post rarely but I'm a Clinical Psychologist so can probably help a bit here. Firstly, people's suggestions are good but the most important is that you get support. GP is first stop for that.

It's basically a habit that you've developed, usually in response to something like stress or anxiety. These are ultimately what people need the help with in the longer term as it's the underlying issue. The hair pulling works in the same way as OCD really.

If you get to the point of addressing it with a professional as it sounds like you should then it'll most likely be using habit reversal therapy, which works using CBT principles. A fundamental component of that will be keeping a record of your hair pulling as much as you are aware of it as well as associated thoughts at the time etc. It's only through a full understanding of this that you'll change the behaviour.

First step is realising the problem. You've been brave enough to share and have got some supportive feedback. The biggest positive I can provide is that I've worked with lots of people with the same issue and it is very possible to manage and improve. You'll do it. All the best.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2017 8:26]

Have PMd you

Cheers

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024