Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trichotillomania 04:10 - Apr 27 with 10276 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I imagine most people will have to google this.

I'm not really sure how to word this post so bear with me. This place will have to do as I can at least try to get my words out slowly.

I've spent the last hour having found out pretty easily on the internet that I think I've developed that mental disorder. I've know for a while I've got a problem but didn't realise it's an actual thing. Anyway for ages now (2/3 months maybe) I've developed an uncontrollable urge to pull out my eyelashes. That sounds so weird to type down but I can't find the words to actually say something out loud so this'll have to do.

I'm literally bald in my left eye and basically bald in my right eye. Every time I am pissed off or something happens, I would pull one out. And then another. Then another. It wouldn't hurt but actually felt good when one would rip out. A slight pain but then it would just calm me down.

I can't describe how bad it makes me feel afterwards as, when I point it out as I once did to my mum, i look ridiculous. But I can't stop myself. Genuinely the urge to do it is too much. As soon as I do, I feel almost relieved and much more chilled out. Until it hits me moments later and I realise what a moron it makes me. And then at some point that hour, that day or that night, the process happens all over again.

I feel quite gutted typing this out on my phone tbh. Taken me ages to try to explain it.

I thought it was just me being weird at first. Then I couldn't stop doing it. Managed to go 2 days without like a month ago but now I think I've pulled out the stumps. Finding out tonight that it's an actual thing - and the fact that they don't just grow back - has left me feeling even worse than normal. Plus of course the eyes and eyelids constantly hurt nowadays as I'm touching them for an hour or two every Bl00dy day

I don't know why I'm saying any of this tbh. Not sure if I want advice or just to be told to man up. But I'm confused as f**k.

Posting it here because i can trust the advice of you lot whilst remaining anonymous to the majority. Pointed it out to my best mate a couple of weeks ago and he couldn't stop laughing. I probably might've too if it was the other way round as I assume he didn't realise beforehand until I pointed them out.

Anyway.. I'm going to sleep. I await the replies in the morning. Apologies for the look at me thread. My mum knows about it but I have lied loads about carrying it on and would rather tell you lot who are mostly anonymous

What a weird thread this is
[Post edited 27 Apr 2017 4:26]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Trichotillomania on 16:13 - Apr 27 with 2319 viewsDanTheMan

I'm afraid I cannot offer any advice that others have not already given you. As someone who has suffered anxiety though, all I can say it get yourself to a GP and see what is available to you. Some have suggested that a routine / job would help and it might but it may just mask an underlying issue.

I'm not sure what services are available in Suffolk so I'm afraid I can't point you anywhere. There might be a "healthy mind" service if you're lucky that is not paid for.

Good luck though, and I hope that you find help soon. If you fancy someone to talk to about it who has been through similar, drop me a PM.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Trichotillomania on 16:21 - Apr 27 with 2306 viewsSteve_M

Trichotillomania on 15:40 - Apr 27 by The_Romford_Blue

I think the boredom thing is very true

Perhaps just getting any job may be my best bet

Out of interest, when you saw me the other day, did you notice the bald eyes? I think they're only noticeable once pointed out but you can see something's different if people see me regularly

Nope, but your hair is fairly light anyway so it wouldn't really stand out. You're probably much more conscious of it than anyone else but suspect no-one other than immediate family would notice unless they were pre-warned.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Trichotillomania on 16:24 - Apr 27 with 2298 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Trichotillomania on 16:21 - Apr 27 by Steve_M

Nope, but your hair is fairly light anyway so it wouldn't really stand out. You're probably much more conscious of it than anyone else but suspect no-one other than immediate family would notice unless they were pre-warned.

The fact I'm blonde is a good point actually

Yeah I didn't think anyone would notice really unless you really look up close

Trichotillomania on 16:54 - Apr 27 with 2274 viewsBluebell

Trichotillomania on 16:24 - Apr 27 by The_Romford_Blue

The fact I'm blonde is a good point actually

Yeah I didn't think anyone would notice really unless you really look up close

I will look out for you on Saturday and examine them.

There have been some great comments on here and just telling us has probably helped you.

A problem shared is a problem halved as my old granny used to say.
Trichotillomania on 17:33 - Apr 27 with 2251 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Just showed my mum my post

I didn't know what to say. I tried but just didn't know what to say.

So I showed her this post.

Trichotillomania on 17:48 - Apr 27 with 2234 viewsSteve_M

Trichotillomania on 17:33 - Apr 27 by The_Romford_Blue

Just showed my mum my post

I didn't know what to say. I tried but just didn't know what to say.

So I showed her this post.

Well, if it was easier this way then that's fine. Again, the important point is you've admitted to a problem. That's more progress.

Trichotillomania on 17:51 - Apr 27 with 2232 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Trichotillomania on 17:48 - Apr 27 by Steve_M

Well, if it was easier this way then that's fine. Again, the important point is you've admitted to a problem. That's more progress.

I didn't really know what to say

It's just a weird thing to admit to ain't it

I must've took an hour typing this on here last night - deleting sentences etc. Trying to be honest as possible whilst making sense

Sadly, my fears that it was a disorder seems to be the case.

I was hoping people would say 'no everyone's gone through a phase of that. It happens. Stop'. Unfortunately not

Trichotillomania on 17:59 - Apr 27 with 2223 viewsSteve_M

Trichotillomania on 17:51 - Apr 27 by The_Romford_Blue

I didn't really know what to say

It's just a weird thing to admit to ain't it

I must've took an hour typing this on here last night - deleting sentences etc. Trying to be honest as possible whilst making sense

Sadly, my fears that it was a disorder seems to be the case.

I was hoping people would say 'no everyone's gone through a phase of that. It happens. Stop'. Unfortunately not

Whether it's a named disorder or not, it's still something you have to deal with. Don't get hung up on the fact it has a formal medical name, that doesn't change what you are doing nor what you need to do now.

Login to get fewer ads

Trichotillomania on 20:30 - Apr 27 with 2152 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Trichotillomania on 17:59 - Apr 27 by Steve_M

Whether it's a named disorder or not, it's still something you have to deal with. Don't get hung up on the fact it has a formal medical name, that doesn't change what you are doing nor what you need to do now.

If I can keep myself occupied mentally, that's should help but it's usually something that happens at night if I'm alone

Trichotillomania on 00:31 - Apr 28 with 2085 viewsMelford

Trichotillomania on 20:30 - Apr 27 by The_Romford_Blue

If I can keep myself occupied mentally, that's should help but it's usually something that happens at night if I'm alone

Boredom and loneliness are the two big ***kers. I get over it by industrial quantities of booze and weed most nights. I come back from work at 2230 at the earliest to an empty house, everybody I know is in bed. Most nights I stick some dinner on, then have a few beers and talk b*llocks on here late night. My days off are pretty much the same, when you have a Tuesday or Wednesday off everyone's at work and you're on your own really, what I have been doing for the last few months is get right back into playing guitar. I've played for 20+ years, some more than others but I'm getting really into it now, bought myself a sh!t hot new guitar and amp, when I get a day off or evening off I just play and play. I try to learn or master one song I like and record a version of it every day I have off. Some might sound good, some not as good, but that's not the point. I like to think of it as there's one more tune out there than there was yesterday and I made it.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Trichotillomania on 01:50 - Apr 28 with 2067 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Trichotillomania on 00:31 - Apr 28 by Melford

Boredom and loneliness are the two big ***kers. I get over it by industrial quantities of booze and weed most nights. I come back from work at 2230 at the earliest to an empty house, everybody I know is in bed. Most nights I stick some dinner on, then have a few beers and talk b*llocks on here late night. My days off are pretty much the same, when you have a Tuesday or Wednesday off everyone's at work and you're on your own really, what I have been doing for the last few months is get right back into playing guitar. I've played for 20+ years, some more than others but I'm getting really into it now, bought myself a sh!t hot new guitar and amp, when I get a day off or evening off I just play and play. I try to learn or master one song I like and record a version of it every day I have off. Some might sound good, some not as good, but that's not the point. I like to think of it as there's one more tune out there than there was yesterday and I made it.

That's a good way to think of it bud

I just need to occupy my mind I think. The fact my mates have been at uni this year has hit me harder than I thought it would

Trichotillomania on 01:58 - Apr 28 with 2065 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Trichotillomania on 07:42 - Apr 27 by taximan

here is my advice, worded as constructively as possible

it is my opinion that you have too much spare time in your life, the obvious solution is to get some sort of full time employment, if you don't have the qualifications to get your preferred job, then maybe an evening class after work.
this lifestyle change would then impact on your sleep, in a positive way
imagine this, up at 6am, work til 5pm, evening class 7 - 10, home, bed, sleep, repeat
presuming it is a monday - friday job, it then gives you the weekend to look forwards to, football season nearly done but i'm sure there are other things you can do on a saturday and sunday.

i await the dreaded arrows of hate

This world continues to get crazier.

Rommy, taximan has just given you the best piece of life advice you've ever had.

Poll: Best Football Song

Trichotillomania on 02:34 - Apr 28 with 2052 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Trichotillomania on 01:58 - Apr 28 by RoyKeanesDog

Rommy, taximan has just given you the best piece of life advice you've ever had.

I appreciate his and everyone's advice on here. Genuinely.

Me and Taxi have had our differences in the past but we are capable of being civil over horse racing and I appreciate his words here

As a side note, you don't know how much better I feel about things now compared to 24 hours ago. Just posting on here and then subsequently the advice and then speaking to my mum has made me feeel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

Thankyou TWTD. You really are a good bunch of people

Trichotillomania on 06:30 - Apr 28 with 2030 viewstaximan

Trichotillomania on 01:58 - Apr 28 by RoyKeanesDog

#smarterthanthenormaltaxidriver
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024