Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oh dear Jeremy 11:37 - Apr 27 with 11530 viewsSteve_M

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Oh dear Jeremy on 09:33 - Apr 28 with 1685 viewsbluewein

Oh dear Jeremy on 17:09 - Apr 27 by monytowbray

There is no reason to vote conservative unless...

"Do you care about other people?"

"Of course I do! I'm regulaly telling people on a football forum how much I care about others."

"Oh sweet. What else do you do to help people?"

"Oh, I don't actually go near them..."

Not a dig at you Callis, but this whole "I care" thing that people throw about makes me feel a little sick at times, mainly because you just know they're not actually doing anything.

A few retweets and shares on Facebook and they're bigger humanitarians than Mother Teresa.

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Oh dear Jeremy on 09:48 - Apr 28 with 1651 viewsmonytowbray

Oh dear Jeremy on 09:33 - Apr 28 by bluewein

"Of course I do! I'm regulaly telling people on a football forum how much I care about others."

Not a dig at you Callis, but this whole "I care" thing that people throw about makes me feel a little sick at times, mainly because you just know they're not actually doing anything.

A few retweets and shares on Facebook and they're bigger humanitarians than Mother Teresa.

"this whole "I care" thing that people throw about makes me feel a little sick at times, mainly because you just know they're not actually doing anything".

What evidence do you base this on?

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Oh dear Jeremy on 09:58 - Apr 28 with 1635 viewsbluewein

Oh dear Jeremy on 09:48 - Apr 28 by monytowbray

"this whole "I care" thing that people throw about makes me feel a little sick at times, mainly because you just know they're not actually doing anything".

Like I say, things I see on social media from people who tell others what they must do to help.

The main one that always stood out to me was a girl who I went to school with. (I stopped being friends with her soon after.) Told everyone that "We must do everything we can to help and take in Syrian refugees." Of course we do, but when asked what she had done to help, her answer was a simple "Oh I can't do anything. I have a child to look after." Asked if she makes donations "No, I can't. I have a family to feed."

It's all very well and good telling other people what they should do for the good of the world, but I've always been a firm believer in practice what you preach, even if it's just a simple £3 a month to a charity you think is worthwhile.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2017 9:58]

Oh dear Jeremy on 10:05 - Apr 28 with 1617 viewsmonytowbray

Oh dear Jeremy on 09:58 - Apr 28 by bluewein

Like I say, things I see on social media from people who tell others what they must do to help.

The main one that always stood out to me was a girl who I went to school with. (I stopped being friends with her soon after.) Told everyone that "We must do everything we can to help and take in Syrian refugees." Of course we do, but when asked what she had done to help, her answer was a simple "Oh I can't do anything. I have a child to look after." Asked if she makes donations "No, I can't. I have a family to feed."

It's all very well and good telling other people what they should do for the good of the world, but I've always been a firm believer in practice what you preach, even if it's just a simple £3 a month to a charity you think is worthwhile.

But at the end of the day she shouldn't have to give up her time or money to help others because the government is failing those people. Nor should anyone. It shouldn't be an issue in the first place, at least not an ongoing one. That's the point. It's not about being a do gooder or judging every day folk on how much they'll give, it's about holding people in responsible positions accountable for their reactions, and voting for someone else if they lack the ethics to do the right thing.

TWTD never forgets…

Oh dear Jeremy on 10:08 - Apr 28 with 1588 viewsGlasgowBlue

Oh dear Jeremy on 09:20 - Apr 28 by monytowbray

Other than things you made up in your head, what evidence do you base this on?

You :-)

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Oh dear Jeremy on 10:09 - Apr 28 with 1586 viewsGlasgowBlue

Oh dear Jeremy on 09:33 - Apr 28 by bluewein

Virtue signalling. Say you hate the Daily Mail. It shows you care.

Iron Lion Zion

Oh dear Jeremy on 10:13 - Apr 28 with 1578 viewsGlasgowBlue

Oh dear Jeremy on 09:48 - Apr 28 by monytowbray

It's based on evidence collated by the University of California.

Remember the The Save Darfur page on Facebook? Between 2007 and 2010, more than a million people joined to protest against the genocide in Darfur.

The University of California found 99.76% of the one million-plus members failed to donate a single penny to the cause. But they felt very caring and compassionate when they clicked that like button and it made them look virtuous to all of their friends.

Iron Lion Zion

Oh dear Jeremy on 10:14 - Apr 28 with 1592 viewsmonytowbray

Oh dear Jeremy on 10:08 - Apr 28 by GlasgowBlue

You :-)

This coming from the person who is continually dodging the question "Why should anyone vote Tory?"

TWTD never forgets…

Login to get fewer ads

Oh dear Jeremy on 10:18 - Apr 28 with 1563 viewsGlasgowBlue

Oh dear Jeremy on 10:14 - Apr 28 by monytowbray

This coming from the person who is continually dodging the question "Why should anyone vote Tory?"

I haven't dodged any questions. I could give you the usual spiel about a more secure economy, better chance of employment etc. I could give you a list of reasons. You wouldn't take a blind bit of notice because you aren't interested in having an open mind.

But according to you, I am rich and don't care about other people. So why should I bother how you vote?
[Post edited 28 Apr 2017 10:20]

Iron Lion Zion

Oh dear Jeremy on 10:22 - Apr 28 with 1568 viewsmonytowbray

Oh dear Jeremy on 10:18 - Apr 28 by GlasgowBlue

I haven't dodged any questions. I could give you the usual spiel about a more secure economy, better chance of employment etc. I could give you a list of reasons. You wouldn't take a blind bit of notice because you aren't interested in having an open mind.

But according to you, I am rich and don't care about other people. So why should I bother how you vote?
[Post edited 28 Apr 2017 10:20]

I posted a thread last week asking for reasons, and you didn't.

You can't actually give younger people a reason to vote Tory. LOL.

TWTD never forgets…

Oh dear Jeremy on 10:24 - Apr 28 with 1553 viewsbluewein

Oh dear Jeremy on 10:05 - Apr 28 by monytowbray

But at the end of the day she shouldn't have to give up her time or money to help others because the government is failing those people. Nor should anyone. It shouldn't be an issue in the first place, at least not an ongoing one. That's the point. It's not about being a do gooder or judging every day folk on how much they'll give, it's about holding people in responsible positions accountable for their reactions, and voting for someone else if they lack the ethics to do the right thing.

To an extent I agree. It's an issue that shouldn't even exist, but to simply blame a currant govenment, when history shows that there have been many others responsible for problems in the world today seems a cheap way out.

But when someone posts a picture of refugees being taken in and saying "Help however you can people", that's clearly not a message they're throwing to the government, is it?

It's on your timeline or whatever it's called on Twitter (I can't stand twitter so don't know), therefore they are telling you what to do. It's very easy to make it look like you care by posting stuff afew times. See also Paris and Belgium attacks and changing your profile pic to said nations flag.

We're in a world where people can show how nice they are just by putting something on social media. Equally, show themselves as dispicable human beings by sharing a EDL picture of a Muslim woman walking past an injured man and sayin "SHE DOESN'T CARE!!" Actually, that's probably my only gripe and I've probably waded in on this at the wrong time. Looks like a bit of a ramble now...

I don't normally bother with political threads on here as they just end up going round in circles, so with that I'll say good day and balls ! ! !

Oh dear Jeremy on 10:27 - Apr 28 with 1547 viewsmikeybloo88

Oh dear Jeremy on 00:34 - Apr 28 by monytowbray

Prior to this election I've never even considered voting Labour.

...and in your view, they are only now worthy of consideration? Hilarious, if true, which I doubt
Oh dear Jeremy on 10:27 - Apr 28 with 1529 viewsGlasgowBlue

Oh dear Jeremy on 10:22 - Apr 28 by monytowbray

I posted a thread last week asking for reasons, and you didn't.

You can't actually give younger people a reason to vote Tory. LOL.

And I chose not to give you any reasons because you wouldn't take a blind bit of notice and have a closed mind. Your meme about voting Tory demonstrates that quite clearly.

Iron Lion Zion

Oh dear Jeremy on 10:31 - Apr 28 with 1530 viewsGeoffSentence

Oh dear Jeremy on 10:27 - Apr 28 by GlasgowBlue

And I chose not to give you any reasons because you wouldn't take a blind bit of notice and have a closed mind. Your meme about voting Tory demonstrates that quite clearly.

The closed mind argument, disagree with you and that means they have a closed mind. You are sounding like TB my friend, just like TB. Bad.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Oh dear Jeremy on 10:34 - Apr 28 with 1516 viewsCoastalblue

Oh dear Jeremy on 10:05 - Apr 28 by monytowbray

The trouble is, you can't please all of the people all of the time. Upping the minimum wage, putting more money in the NHS, foreign aid, education, it's all a balancing act.

It's up to us as individuals to decide who will perform that balance best, whilst accepting that there isn't a bottomless pit of money and some things will have to go without. The argument is that the Tories look after big business and their friends, and I do feel there's truth in that, but the other side of the coin is without those big businesses the bucket of money shrinks a lot and alot more things miss out.

The real issue at the moment is that there is no real middle ground, the Tories are too far toward the business side of things and making cold hearted decisions, whilst to my mind the Labour party are in fairy land, making promises and suggestions there's no way they could put into practise and sustain.

I won't vote for either, I have zero faith in Corbyn or the Labour party, whilst the Conservatives would have to do a lot more on welfare to get me to even consider voting for them. Despite that, I would be more comfortable with a Tory government than I would the current Labour party, I genuinel believe that they would bankrupt us in the prusuit of what they think is the greater good.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Oh dear Jeremy on 10:39 - Apr 28 with 1476 viewsGlasgowBlue

Oh dear Jeremy on 10:31 - Apr 28 by GeoffSentence

The closed mind argument, disagree with you and that means they have a closed mind. You are sounding like TB my friend, just like TB. Bad.

There are literally scores of posters on here who hold the opposite view to me politically. They don't have closed minds.

I would say there are only three who do. Callis, Archer and No9.

Anybody who posts this

is in no way interested in debating the issues with a view to being persuaded to change their mind.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2017 10:42]

Iron Lion Zion

Oh dear Jeremy on 10:48 - Apr 28 with 1464 viewsmonytowbray

Oh dear Jeremy on 10:39 - Apr 28 by GlasgowBlue

There are literally scores of posters on here who hold the opposite view to me politically. They don't have closed minds.

I would say there are only three who do. Callis, Archer and No9.

Anybody who posts this

is in no way interested in debating the issues with a view to being persuaded to change their mind.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2017 10:42]

This attempt to dodge a question is getting desperate, even for you.

TWTD never forgets…

Oh dear Jeremy on 11:08 - Apr 28 with 1435 viewsDarth_Koont

Oh dear Jeremy on 10:34 - Apr 28 by Coastalblue

The trouble is, you can't please all of the people all of the time. Upping the minimum wage, putting more money in the NHS, foreign aid, education, it's all a balancing act.

It's up to us as individuals to decide who will perform that balance best, whilst accepting that there isn't a bottomless pit of money and some things will have to go without. The argument is that the Tories look after big business and their friends, and I do feel there's truth in that, but the other side of the coin is without those big businesses the bucket of money shrinks a lot and alot more things miss out.

The real issue at the moment is that there is no real middle ground, the Tories are too far toward the business side of things and making cold hearted decisions, whilst to my mind the Labour party are in fairy land, making promises and suggestions there's no way they could put into practise and sustain.

I won't vote for either, I have zero faith in Corbyn or the Labour party, whilst the Conservatives would have to do a lot more on welfare to get me to even consider voting for them. Despite that, I would be more comfortable with a Tory government than I would the current Labour party, I genuinel believe that they would bankrupt us in the prusuit of what they think is the greater good.

Are the Tories "too far toward the business side of things and making cold hearted decisions"? They're showing a distinct lack of ability to balance the books as the national debt just keeps rising.

Let's put to bed the idea that the conservatives, on both sides of the Atlantic, are the sensible and economically stable choice. They're the parties of tax breaks and libertarian (i.e. anti-responsibility) ideology.

We're being bankrupted morally AND economically.

Pronouns: He/Him

Oh dear Jeremy on 11:22 - Apr 28 with 1407 viewsimsureazzure

Oh dear Jeremy on 09:20 - Apr 28 by monytowbray

Other than things you made up in your head, what evidence do you base this on?

I need no further evidence than the fact that you are supporting them.

Try walking on the sunny side of the street.
Oh dear Jeremy on 11:25 - Apr 28 with 1383 viewsStokieBlue

Oh dear Jeremy on 11:08 - Apr 28 by Darth_Koont

Are the Tories "too far toward the business side of things and making cold hearted decisions"? They're showing a distinct lack of ability to balance the books as the national debt just keeps rising.

Let's put to bed the idea that the conservatives, on both sides of the Atlantic, are the sensible and economically stable choice. They're the parties of tax breaks and libertarian (i.e. anti-responsibility) ideology.

We're being bankrupted morally AND economically.

Labour didn't balance the books either and in fact generated the largest jump in debt between 2007 and 2010.

They also oversaw the largest housing boom in real terms making property unaffordable for many.

Let's not rewrite or ignore history here.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Oh dear Jeremy on 11:26 - Apr 28 with 1388 viewsimsureazzure

Oh dear Jeremy on 09:58 - Apr 28 by bluewein

You went to school with Yvette Cooper?
Oh dear Jeremy on 11:33 - Apr 28 with 1368 viewsClapham_Junction

Oh dear Jeremy on 11:25 - Apr 28 by StokieBlue

Labour didn't balance the books either and in fact generated the largest jump in debt between 2007 and 2010.

They also oversaw the largest housing boom in real terms making property unaffordable for many.

Let's not rewrite or ignore history here.

SB

I don't think his point was that Labour balanced the books, more that the Conservatives haven't either, yet somehow get credited with being competent with the national finances.

A full comparison of their respective records since WWII is available on the link below:
http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/03/13/the-conservatives-have-been-the-bi

We have only had a budget surplus 11 times since WWII!
Oh dear Jeremy on 11:39 - Apr 28 with 1350 viewsDarth_Koont

Oh dear Jeremy on 11:33 - Apr 28 by Clapham_Junction

I don't think his point was that Labour balanced the books, more that the Conservatives haven't either, yet somehow get credited with being competent with the national finances.

A full comparison of their respective records since WWII is available on the link below:
http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/03/13/the-conservatives-have-been-the-bi

We have only had a budget surplus 11 times since WWII!

That's a very good read. Highly recommended even though it might sting for some people.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024