Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The most overrated town player ever? 14:18 - Apr 27 with 14414 viewsHarryWright

I'll start, Bialkowski. The most average keeper hyped up to be something he's not, Counago is a close second though.
The most overrated town player ever? on 15:48 - Apr 27 with 3329 viewsGeoffSentence

The most overrated town player ever? on 15:41 - Apr 27 by Clapham_Junction

Do you keep a big spreadsheet somewhere with all ITFC players' PPG stats?

Would be interesting to see which player over the years ranks highest (discounting ones that played only a handful of matches).

transfermarkt.com

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The most overrated town player ever? on 15:48 - Apr 27 with 3329 viewsRadlett_blue

The most overrated town player ever? on 14:34 - Apr 27 by MattinLondon

In terms of managerial hype, in recent years, for me it has to be Cole Skuse. The most one-dimensional midfielder I have seen in a Town short. Followed closely by Norris.

Has to be Norris. Jim was desperate to get him, paying £2.2m for a very average, bustling Championship midfielder whom he saw fit to play on the right wing. That may have been the one that convinced Evans that Jim wasn't the right man to spend his money, so he preferred letting Roy Keane waste it instead.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The most overrated town player ever? on 15:49 - Apr 27 with 3327 viewsBlue_Order

The punishment for dissing Pablo in any form should be an automatic ban.
The most overrated town player ever? on 15:54 - Apr 27 with 3316 viewsRadlett_blue

The most overrated town player ever? on 14:26 - Apr 27 by BlueBadger

Carlos Edwards. A winger who couldn't, who was converted into an 'attacking' full back who still couldn't cross, but also made the backline vulnerable.

Totally agree. Was then converted back into a not very effective winger to boot.
Now working as a taxi driver (not).

The most overrated town player ever? on 16:01 - Apr 27 with 3300 viewsblaggers

Blimey! I agree with David Norris, add to that Lee Martin. Never came across a more Bertie Big-B*llocks in my life. To think how much we paid for him, and Grant Leadbitter as well.

Poll: What happens next?

The most overrated town player ever? on 16:04 - Apr 27 with 3290 viewsRadlett_blue

The most overrated town player ever? on 16:01 - Apr 27 by blaggers

Blimey! I agree with David Norris, add to that Lee Martin. Never came across a more Bertie Big-B*llocks in my life. To think how much we paid for him, and Grant Leadbitter as well.

Add Priskin to that list & then we all should realise why Evans takes a much keener interest in transfers these days.
Martin was a classic lazy signing (& a very expensive one) as he'd lost form & pace since getting a knee injury when on loan at the Blunts, something of which Keane seemed unaware.

The most overrated town player ever? on 16:28 - Apr 27 with 3258 viewscharlie1

Jim Magilton

One exceptional game, and the rest of the time spent trying to find someone else to blame.
The most overrated town player ever? on 16:32 - Apr 27 with 3248 viewsArcher4721

"The most average keeper hyped up to be something he's not"

Erm Richard Wright obviously.
Login to get fewer ads

The most overrated town player ever? on 16:33 - Apr 27 with 3245 viewsSteve_M

The most overrated town player ever? on 16:28 - Apr 27 by charlie1

Jim Magilton

One exceptional game, and the rest of the time spent trying to find someone else to blame.

Nope, try again.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The most overrated town player ever? on 16:36 - Apr 27 with 3236 viewsmonty_radio

The most overrated town player ever? on 14:20 - Apr 27 by Heathlander

Stuart Slater

Disappointing certainly. Hyped? - I don't recall that, except in the keepie-uppie stakes.

I think that also goes for several expensive nominees here such as Leadbitter and Martin, disappointing more than over-hyped. If they were overrated, it was by management, and was expressed in the large fees. But there was never a large body of fans constantly singing their praises as in, for example, Pablo.

Norris I would accept, though more because of the hoopla around pursuing him rather than loads of fans advocating him when he was actually here.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2017 16:48]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

The most overrated town player ever? on 16:41 - Apr 27 with 3223 viewsLord_Lucan

Paul Cooper

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The most overrated town player ever? on 16:42 - Apr 27 with 3217 viewsWonky

Counago.

He seemed to neatly fill the hero slot. Didn't play like one and was exempt from criticism from a lot of fans.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2017 16:49]
The most overrated town player ever? on 16:45 - Apr 27 with 3199 viewsBlue_Order

Jonathan Douglas. Doesn't get anywhere near the abuse he deserves. Some fans don't even boo him when he comes on.
The most overrated town player ever? on 16:55 - Apr 27 with 3179 viewstheblueginger

The most overrated town player ever? on 15:48 - Apr 27 by Radlett_blue

Has to be Norris. Jim was desperate to get him, paying £2.2m for a very average, bustling Championship midfielder whom he saw fit to play on the right wing. That may have been the one that convinced Evans that Jim wasn't the right man to spend his money, so he preferred letting Roy Keane waste it instead.

Norris could at least get into good positions and grab a goal. He was well suited to Keane's formation of playing Hyam behind him and Leadbitter. A reasonable captain too.

Strange how Norris is slated, and yet Skuse, in many ways the complete opposite midfield player, his also deemed to be rubbish by many.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2017 17:06]
The most overrated town player ever? on 16:59 - Apr 27 with 3172 viewstheblueginger

Controversial, but Tyrone Mings was never worth the 8 Million Bournemouth paid. He had been decidedly shaky at times in the second half on 14/15.
The most overrated town player ever? on 17:29 - Apr 27 with 3137 viewsHarryWright

The most overrated town player ever? on 14:55 - Apr 27 by bluelou

Leaving aside the fact it's obviously a joke from the OP, I'd say Sixto Peralta, mainly because there's no way he was as good as I remember. HE WAS SO GOOD THOUGH

Certainly not a joke, I don't think Barts a bad keeper but he's been hyped up as some sort of premier league god when there are many parts of his game that needs improving. He struggles with shots from long distance massively and doesn't command his area all that well. He's just very overrated by some of our fans, some even think he's the best in the league which is just ludicrous.

With Pablo, he flattered to deceive. He looked good and flashy but ultimately was too lightweight and ineffective most of the time. Of course I wouldn't swap that Coventry goal, what an end to the game!
The most overrated town player ever? on 17:30 - Apr 27 with 3137 viewsTractorCam

Worst post ever

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

The most overrated town player ever? on 17:34 - Apr 27 with 3130 viewsmonty_radio

The most overrated town player ever? on 16:41 - Apr 27 by Lord_Lucan

Paul Cooper

You and my old stepdad then: "doesn't dominate his area", he would proclaim at every opportunity.

The most overrated town player ever? on 17:43 - Apr 27 with 3119 viewsLimitlessBlue

David McGoldrick for me

Poll: So 2 wins out of 2 are you now.....

The most overrated town player ever? on 17:45 - Apr 27 with 3111 viewsLord_Lucan

The most overrated town player ever? on 17:34 - Apr 27 by monty_radio

You and my old stepdad then: "doesn't dominate his area", he would proclaim at every opportunity.

He wasn't a bad keeper it's just that he was / is still overrated.

Massive weak link in an otherwise unbelievable side.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The most overrated town player ever? on 17:55 - Apr 27 with 3110 viewsBelvedereBrunswick

You knew what you were getting with Counago so would have to disagree.

I've been thinking about Daniel Karbassayoon all day so I can't look past him. Admittedly he was never really our player. From permanent signings it would be Sito. What was that all about?
The most overrated town player ever? on 18:03 - Apr 27 with 3102 viewsmonty_radio

The most overrated town player ever? on 16:45 - Apr 27 by Blue_Order

Jonathan Douglas. Doesn't get anywhere near the abuse he deserves. Some fans don't even boo him when he comes on.

This feels like irony. If it isn't you'll get what you've asked for. If it is, you'll get it anyway!

The most overrated town player ever? on 18:13 - Apr 27 with 3094 viewsnodge_blue

Our keeper is far from average. I just cant even be bothered to argue about it cos he's very good.

But I will give you Martin Reuser. 2 play off goals and a free kick against Bradford.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

The most overrated town player ever? on 18:18 - Apr 27 with 3088 viewsfeelingblue

The most overrated town player ever? on 14:20 - Apr 27 by HarryWright

For town? who would you say is more overhyped then, I can't remember us having that many keepers we thought we really good.

Paul Cooper. A good keeper but no more, now regarded as good enough to have played for England - he wasn't.
The most overrated town player ever? on 18:28 - Apr 27 with 3077 viewstheblueginger

The most overrated town player ever? on 18:13 - Apr 27 by nodge_blue

Our keeper is far from average. I just cant even be bothered to argue about it cos he's very good.

But I will give you Martin Reuser. 2 play off goals and a free kick against Bradford.

You disgust me.

I still maintain Reuser was our best player alongside Stewart in 2000/01. My first ever live game saw him absolutely control the game and give Spurs nightmares, we won 3-0. He was one of the most dangerous attacking midfielders in the Premiership that year, and played as a right-footer on the left wing before it was fashionable. Not to mention scoring the goal that sent Citeh down. Injuries curtailed his time at town after that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024