Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The most overrated town player ever? 14:18 - Apr 27 with 14460 viewsHarryWright

I'll start, Bialkowski. The most average keeper hyped up to be something he's not, Counago is a close second though.
The most overrated town player ever? on 11:15 - Apr 28 with 2705 viewsSwailsey

The most overrated town player ever? on 02:30 - Apr 28 by Crock

You obviously don't know the meaning of the word overrated. Karbassiyoon was never highly rated. Sito was a very good player.

Quite!

The Sito reference was very strange. He wasn't hyped was he? Always looked a very good player whenever I saw him. A classy attacking fullback, albeit a bit suspect defensively (a bit like Mings).

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

The most overrated town player ever? on 12:21 - Apr 28 with 2676 viewsBelvedereBrunswick

The most overrated town player ever? on 02:30 - Apr 28 by Crock

You obviously don't know the meaning of the word overrated. Karbassiyoon was never highly rated. Sito was a very good player.

And you obviously don't know the meaning of very good player.

Trust me - I spent 3 games solely watching his movements just to confirm. After watching him for those 3 games, I've never been so sure of something in my life. If you had seen what I saw...
The most overrated town player ever? on 17:25 - Apr 28 with 2631 viewsBurwell_Blue

Dozzell. I can never see it.
The most overrated town player ever? on 17:30 - Apr 28 with 2623 viewsWD19

The most overrated town player ever? on 15:01 - Apr 27 by GeoffSentence

How about Stockdale, he came here with a big reputation being on the fringe of the England squad and yet in the 18 games that he played for us we shipped 35 goals and only managed 1.28 points per game.

Compare that with his underrated contemporary, ALB.

The most overrated town player ever? on 22:19 - Apr 28 with 2586 viewsKeanos_Monkey

I haven't posted on here in a LONG time, but this I can't pass up.

The answer is so simple.

Matt Holland. Utter w**k.

I win.
The most overrated town player ever? on 22:23 - Apr 28 with 2580 viewsKeanos_Monkey

The most overrated town player ever? on 00:13 - Apr 28 by Jonnosdreadlocks

Matt Holland, sooooo overated

agreed!!!!!
The most overrated town player ever? on 22:24 - Apr 28 with 2575 viewsKeanos_Monkey

The most overrated town player ever? on 21:35 - Apr 27 by Superfrans

Matt Holland. A midfield enforcer who barely ever gave away a free kick and never got booked. That's just wrong.

He was only ever at all effective when he had a decent player alongside him.

I refer to him as the lawnmower, coz that's all he did
The most overrated town player ever? on 23:18 - Apr 28 with 2554 viewsSimonds92

Brett Pitman.
Login to get fewer ads

The most overrated town player ever? on 23:19 - Apr 28 with 2554 viewstractorshark

Connor Wickham was incredibly overrated.
Terrible touch, no pace, it was quite apparent at 17 that his reputation and success in youth football was purely because of his size. Very average player, we fleeced Sunderland.

Of the current crop, Kevin Bru is very overrated by fans.
The most overrated town player ever? on 23:33 - Apr 28 with 2543 viewsHARRY10

The most overrated town player ever? on 15:16 - Apr 27 by GeoffSentence

Well yes, Jewell's team didn't have a clue how to defend and the poor old 'keepers had a torrid time of it as a result.

However in Stockdale's 18 games that season we shipped 35 goals and managed only 1.27 points per game.

ALB also played 18 games in that same season, same team, in his 18 we shipped 27 goals and managed 1.39 points per game.

Ergo, Stockdale was overrated.

meaningless rubbish

even with exactly the same team it doesn't factor in the opposition, or how they were playing, neither does it include what our intent was either
The most overrated town player ever? on 08:21 - Apr 29 with 2506 viewsVaughan8

I thought overrated is when lots of people thought they were good but you didnt think they were?

If so people like Parkin were not overrated. I don't think anyone thought they were good?

Some of the names on this are laughable.

My two would be (as others would say) counago and Skuse.
Counago always seemed to score non important goals, like we would be 3-1 and he would score the 4th etc. I don't know how much is true. Might just be in my head haha
He seemed to have the odd good game but many games he did very little. Flicks here and there but not a lot. Not a Finisher either. Didn't score enough goals for the service he got. He played when we used to score loads of goals so don't compare him to the stuff we have now.

Skuse, well he is OK but seems to have had so much praise over the years especially for MM. He said he could play in the Premier League. If that happened it would be embarrassing and if he was that good, someone would have bought him.off us.
The most overrated town player ever? on 10:12 - Apr 29 with 2490 viewsBiGDonnie

Cole 'scared of a tackle, runs like a fairy, doesn't want the ball and can't look forward' Skuse.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

The most overrated town player ever? on 10:16 - Apr 29 with 2488 viewsMaySixth

Luke Hyam

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

The most overrated town player ever? on 10:20 - Apr 29 with 2485 viewsPJH

The most overrated town player ever? on 10:12 - Apr 29 by BiGDonnie

Cole 'scared of a tackle, runs like a fairy, doesn't want the ball and can't look forward' Skuse.

Good to see your team doing better this season,they might even finish 2nd this time.
Only 56 years since you won the League though.
The most overrated town player ever? on 10:24 - Apr 29 with 2480 viewsBiGDonnie

The most overrated town player ever? on 10:20 - Apr 29 by PJH

Good to see your team doing better this season,they might even finish 2nd this time.
Only 56 years since you won the League though.

Yeah, fingers crossed Chelsea slip up.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

The most overrated town player ever? on 11:58 - Apr 29 with 2464 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

The most overrated town player ever? on 18:18 - Apr 27 by feelingblue

Paul Cooper. A good keeper but no more, now regarded as good enough to have played for England - he wasn't.

he was. the fact that he played in an era of great English Keepers ie Shilts, Clemence and Corrigan meant he never got a look in. His penalty saving record alone made him an exceptional gk.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

The most overrated town player ever? on 12:21 - Apr 29 with 2447 viewsfeelingblue

The most overrated town player ever? on 11:58 - Apr 29 by Jonnosdreadlocks

he was. the fact that he played in an era of great English Keepers ie Shilts, Clemence and Corrigan meant he never got a look in. His penalty saving record alone made him an exceptional gk.

He wasn't.
His penalty record was amazing, otherwise he was an ordinary, competent, keeper in an otherwise top class team.
Apart from Shilton, Clemence and Corrigan, he was also behind Alex Stepney, Phil Parkes, Jimmy Rimmer and Nigel Spink, who all played for England.
The most overrated town player ever? on 12:31 - Apr 29 with 2437 viewsLord_Lucan

The most overrated town player ever? on 12:21 - Apr 29 by feelingblue

He wasn't.
His penalty record was amazing, otherwise he was an ordinary, competent, keeper in an otherwise top class team.
Apart from Shilton, Clemence and Corrigan, he was also behind Alex Stepney, Phil Parkes, Jimmy Rimmer and Nigel Spink, who all played for England.

Yes I fully agree with this. I have often said he was the reason we never won the league but get flamed because of it.

We could have had both Pat Jennings and Peter Shilton, not sure what SBR was thinking tbh.

The penalty thing was impressive but it was just a knack, he basically just lent to one side and dived the opposite side. Very clever but it doesn't hide the fact that he was a weak link.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The most overrated town player ever? on 12:57 - Apr 29 with 2431 viewsPJH

The most overrated town player ever? on 12:31 - Apr 29 by Lord_Lucan

Yes I fully agree with this. I have often said he was the reason we never won the league but get flamed because of it.

We could have had both Pat Jennings and Peter Shilton, not sure what SBR was thinking tbh.

The penalty thing was impressive but it was just a knack, he basically just lent to one side and dived the opposite side. Very clever but it doesn't hide the fact that he was a weak link.

In my opinion Cooper played in an era when there were a number of top class keepers.
He was not a top class keeper and certainly Jennings or Shilton would have made us an even better team.
I don't think you can actually say that Cooper cost us the League(he was fans player of the year in 1980/81 although I don't know why)but with a really top class keeper we would probably have won more trophies under SBR.
The most overrated town player ever? on 13:00 - Apr 29 with 2426 viewsLord_Lucan

The most overrated town player ever? on 12:57 - Apr 29 by PJH

In my opinion Cooper played in an era when there were a number of top class keepers.
He was not a top class keeper and certainly Jennings or Shilton would have made us an even better team.
I don't think you can actually say that Cooper cost us the League(he was fans player of the year in 1980/81 although I don't know why)but with a really top class keeper we would probably have won more trophies under SBR.

Costing us the league was a bit harsh. Your wording is better.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024