Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Newcastle's parachute payments. 12:47 - Apr 28 with 2749 viewsLankHenners

As they went back up on the first time of asking, do their remaining payments get spread out across the rest of the Championship clubs or the Premiership clubs?

I had it in my head it was the latter but I've seen a fair bit of dispute over this so can anyone clarify?

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Newcastle's parachute payments. on 12:51 - Apr 28 with 2737 viewsPhilTWTD

If I remember rightly they get shared out by the other parachute clubs. Was certainly the case a few years back when Norwich got £27m rather than £24m as QPR had gone back up. This may have changed though with the latest agreement.
Newcastle's parachute payments. on 12:54 - Apr 28 with 2709 viewsSuperfrans

Newcastle's parachute payments. on 12:51 - Apr 28 by PhilTWTD

If I remember rightly they get shared out by the other parachute clubs. Was certainly the case a few years back when Norwich got £27m rather than £24m as QPR had gone back up. This may have changed though with the latest agreement.

This means Norwich and Villa get more money? Or the three clubs coming down this season get more money?

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Newcastle's parachute payments. on 13:01 - Apr 28 with 2668 viewsLankHenners

Newcastle's parachute payments. on 12:51 - Apr 28 by PhilTWTD

Thanks, I was going to ask Superfrans' question as well but in other words we won't see anything from it? I'd have thought we'd all be more aware of it if that was the case.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2017 13:01]

Newcastle's parachute payments. on 13:07 - Apr 28 with 2644 viewsPhilTWTD

Newcastle's parachute payments. on 12:54 - Apr 28 by Superfrans

This means Norwich and Villa get more money? Or the three clubs coming down this season get more money?

Actually appears to have changed since then, the money is - or at least was a couple of years ago - now split among Premier League clubs. Obviously they need it very badly indeed.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-fans-pr
Newcastle's parachute payments. on 13:26 - Apr 28 with 2549 viewsLankHenners

Newcastle's parachute payments. on 13:07 - Apr 28 by PhilTWTD

Actually appears to have changed since then, the money is - or at least was a couple of years ago - now split among Premier League clubs. Obviously they need it very badly indeed.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-fans-pr

Thanks Phil, I guess they've got to pay for the production of those half-and-half scarves somehow.

Newcastle's parachute payments. on 13:35 - Apr 28 with 2506 viewsNo9

Which ever it is not acceotable they get money for failure, the entire sytem needs changing.
Newcastle's parachute payments. on 13:38 - Apr 28 with 2489 viewsSuperfrans

Ridiculous. The whole system is screwed, if that's what happens...

Leyton Orient could be bought back for their fans for a fraction of that. Quite ridiculous.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2017 13:38]

Newcastle's parachute payments. on 14:21 - Apr 28 with 2394 viewsDeano69

Yes, it would be a shame to keep it in the Championship when some of those Premier League Players are down to their last Lamborghini

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Login to get fewer ads

Newcastle's parachute payments. on 14:28 - Apr 28 with 2380 viewsGeoffSentence

Newcastle's parachute payments. on 13:35 - Apr 28 by No9

Which ever it is not acceotable they get money for failure, the entire sytem needs changing.

The whole raison d'etre behind the parachute payments is to stop clubs who get relegated getting into terrible financial trouble and came about after a season when all three relegated clubs went into admin, Leicester, Derby and , oh, us.

Payments for failure they may be, but parachute payments are important, it is just that the scale of them now doesn't just keep relegated clubs out of trouble they give them a massive leg up at the same time.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Newcastle's parachute payments. on 15:01 - Apr 28 with 2349 viewsNo9

Newcastle's parachute payments. on 14:28 - Apr 28 by GeoffSentence

The whole raison d'etre behind the parachute payments is to stop clubs who get relegated getting into terrible financial trouble and came about after a season when all three relegated clubs went into admin, Leicester, Derby and , oh, us.

Payments for failure they may be, but parachute payments are important, it is just that the scale of them now doesn't just keep relegated clubs out of trouble they give them a massive leg up at the same time.

I do understand the reason for parachute payment but also believe they are part of the reason clubs / owners have become irresponsible in their commercial dealings.

I also believe the FA should have done more to stop this type of thing.

You may know but I don't, do parachute payments happen anywhere else?
Newcastle's parachute payments. on 16:00 - Apr 28 with 2277 viewsElderGrizzly

Newcastle's parachute payments. on 15:01 - Apr 28 by No9

I do understand the reason for parachute payment but also believe they are part of the reason clubs / owners have become irresponsible in their commercial dealings.

They happen here apparently...

Newcastle's parachute payments. on 16:10 - Apr 28 with 2258 viewsRadlett_blue

Newcastle's parachute payments. on 15:01 - Apr 28 by No9

If parachute payments were abolished, almost every club relegated from the PL would then go into admin the next season. Easy to say that the TV money could be distributed more equitably, but the big boys won't have that.
This season, like most, many complain about how unfair the parachute payments are but, again, only 1 of the 3 relegated clubs has bounced back. Of course, the real knock-on effect of huge parachute payments is an unsustainable rise in wages & transfer fees paid in tier 2. And that's partly why Evans has given up on investing in Town.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Newcastle's parachute payments. on 16:25 - Apr 28 with 2221 viewsmonty_radio

Newcastle's parachute payments. on 16:10 - Apr 28 by Radlett_blue

If parachute payments were abolished, almost every club relegated from the PL would then go into admin the next season. Easy to say that the TV money could be distributed more equitably, but the big boys won't have that.
This season, like most, many complain about how unfair the parachute payments are but, again, only 1 of the 3 relegated clubs has bounced back. Of course, the real knock-on effect of huge parachute payments is an unsustainable rise in wages & transfer fees paid in tier 2. And that's partly why Evans has given up on investing in Town.

i imagine there must be some level of governance by the Premier if they're dishing out large sums over a season and more, but it obviously needs to be greater if clubs like Portsmouth run themselves into the ground notwithstanding the big assist.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Newcastle's parachute payments. on 16:37 - Apr 28 with 2202 viewsSuperfrans

Newcastle's parachute payments. on 16:10 - Apr 28 by Radlett_blue

I do get the reason for parachute payments and accept they're probably necessary. But to redistribute what would be £25m next season back to clubs who don't need it (and aren't expecting it) is just bonkers, when a windfall like that could save a club at the lower levels. It would follow a similar principle that surrounds the PO Final receipts, which all go to the losing team, on the basis that the winner doesn't need the money...

Newcastle's parachute payments. on 13:06 - Apr 29 with 1856 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

That is a disgrace.

I hate the premier league. I hate Sky sports.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024