Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mexico 12:58 - Apr 28 with 5115 viewsAdam

Off to Mexico on holiday in September

Anyone got any tips for me?

Places to visit/Places to Eat?

Any good experiences you have had? Or bad ones! Ha!

Will be appreciated!

Thanks
Mexico on 14:31 - Apr 28 with 2022 viewscatch74

Mexico on 13:52 - Apr 28 by Adam

What resort is it?

We are staying in 'Bluebay Grand Esmeralda' 10 days all inclusive

A lot of people have told us to go the ruins. I think we will be as it's something the missus is really interested in. Me not so much but if your going all that way you have to really!

Thanks for the tip davblue I will be looking into Xel-Ha as we like water parks.

Swimming with turtles/dolphins definitely appeal! So thank you!

The local shuttle bus is it cheap enough?

We've in Riviera Maya a couple of times - ate out once in Playa Del Carmen (we were all unclusive too.) can't remember the name of the restaurant but it had a tree growing through the middle of it - good food.
Would third Xel-Ha - lazy river you float down on rings - cliffs to jump into river off (higher than you think when you get up there) zip wires etc plus you can swim with dolphins there (costs quite a bit.). Snorkelling - if you swim over to the floating bridge there are some monster fish with big teeth ! It is a tourist trap but big enough to still feel quite natural.
Mayan ruins and turtles as others have said.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Mexico on 14:40 - Apr 28 with 2007 viewsAdam

Mexico on 14:31 - Apr 28 by catch74

We've in Riviera Maya a couple of times - ate out once in Playa Del Carmen (we were all unclusive too.) can't remember the name of the restaurant but it had a tree growing through the middle of it - good food.
Would third Xel-Ha - lazy river you float down on rings - cliffs to jump into river off (higher than you think when you get up there) zip wires etc plus you can swim with dolphins there (costs quite a bit.). Snorkelling - if you swim over to the floating bridge there are some monster fish with big teeth ! It is a tourist trap but big enough to still feel quite natural.
Mayan ruins and turtles as others have said.

Well I think it looks as thought we will be going to the ruins and Xel-Ha water park. All getting good reviews!

Thanks for all this!

What is a good amount of spending money to take for 2 myself and my partner for 10 nights?
Mexico on 14:41 - Apr 28 with 2001 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Mexico on 13:20 - Apr 28 by Lord_Lucan

What resort is it?

The last resort from now on.

Poll: Best Football Song

Mexico on 14:42 - Apr 28 with 1998 viewsLord_Lucan

Mexico on 14:40 - Apr 28 by Adam

Well I think it looks as thought we will be going to the ruins and Xel-Ha water park. All getting good reviews!

Thanks for all this!

What is a good amount of spending money to take for 2 myself and my partner for 10 nights?

Just take about £300 in Pesos and use ATM if needed.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Mexico on 14:46 - Apr 28 with 1978 viewsDeano69

Mexico on 13:09 - Apr 28 by Adam

Yes we have been told to use Peso and that it works out better.

We are staying in Riviera Maya just out of Cancun

Which hotel/complex?

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Mexico on 14:48 - Apr 28 with 1970 viewsAdam

Mexico on 14:46 - Apr 28 by Deano69

Which hotel/complex?

Mexico on 14:49 - Apr 28 with 1973 viewsnorth_stand77

Mexico on 14:13 - Apr 28 by BLUEBEAT

Chicken Itza not far so would definitely recommend that.

Would also suggest paying a little more and getting a taxi there early before the coaches turn up.

Also recommend the Coba pyramid - one of the few you can still climb and the view from the top, surrounded by jungle is fantastic.

One place I would cross off any potential list is a boat trip over to Cozumel as it's expensive (it's where the cruisers pull in) and has more of a Polynesian feel than Mexican.

Some friends just came back from Mexico. They did the Cozumel boat trip (45 min each way) and it was blowing a gale! They were handing out seasick tablets as it was so choppy. Most on the boat were ill, glad we didn't go on it!!
Mexico on 15:03 - Apr 28 with 1956 viewsDeano69

Mexico on 14:48 - Apr 28 by Adam

The Jungle excursion was excellent (Playa del Carmen: Alltournative Ecoarcheological Adventures), as was the swim with dolphins (Delphinus Riviera Maya).

Got a bit mugged off for the photos etc, but that's the cost of being a tourist with a family...

Great holiday and region, excellent airport facilities in departures, very good burger joint. Arrivals was a bit dodgy.

Can get really hot in the peak of summer and the pools are like baths, only cold showers cool you down.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Login to get fewer ads

Mexico on 15:28 - Apr 28 with 1945 viewsdavblue

Mexico on 14:42 - Apr 28 by Lord_Lucan

maybe his other half doesn't like to use ATM?
[Post edited 28 Apr 2017 15:28]
Mexico on 15:43 - Apr 28 with 1929 viewsnorth_stand77

Mexico on 14:42 - Apr 28 by Lord_Lucan

We took £500 but brought back £200. ( all inclusive but weren't sure what to take). Hence my previous post of paying very small fee for currency in Asda. Had we not, we would have lost about £50 on selling currency back through exchange rates.
Mexico on 15:49 - Apr 28 with 1914 viewsAdam

Mexico on 15:43 - Apr 28 by north_stand77

We took £500 but brought back £200. ( all inclusive but weren't sure what to take). Hence my previous post of paying very small fee for currency in Asda. Had we not, we would have lost about £50 on selling currency back through exchange rates.

Okay that sounds good!

We was talking about taking £500 but I was worried with excursions/eating out once or twice/souvenirs that it might not be enough

Maybe I am overthinking it!
Mexico on 15:51 - Apr 28 with 1914 viewsAdam

Mexico on 15:28 - Apr 28 by davblue

maybe his other half doesn't like to use ATM?
[Post edited 28 Apr 2017 15:28]

She is alright with using an ATM as far as I am aware! Ha!
Mexico on 16:01 - Apr 28 with 1904 viewsLord_Lucan

Mexico on 15:49 - Apr 28 by Adam

Okay that sounds good!

We was talking about taking £500 but I was worried with excursions/eating out once or twice/souvenirs that it might not be enough

Maybe I am overthinking it!

Personally I wouldn't do any organised excursions but that's just me, I prefer to get on a bus and get lost.

Thinking about it here's a thing. After the turtle thing we walked to some wildlife park thing, it took ages and when we got there it was closed. Anyhoo we decided to get a taxi into the nearest largeish town, I can't remember where it was but the driver stayed in his car for a few hours and then took us somewhere else and stayed in his car for another couple of hours before taking us home.

I think he cost us about £15 all in.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Mexico on 16:05 - Apr 28 with 1897 viewsAdam

Mexico on 16:01 - Apr 28 by Lord_Lucan

Personally I wouldn't do any organised excursions but that's just me, I prefer to get on a bus and get lost.

Thinking about it here's a thing. After the turtle thing we walked to some wildlife park thing, it took ages and when we got there it was closed. Anyhoo we decided to get a taxi into the nearest largeish town, I can't remember where it was but the driver stayed in his car for a few hours and then took us somewhere else and stayed in his car for another couple of hours before taking us home.

I think he cost us about £15 all in.

Yeah I like the idea of not booking before hand and doing things on the day

I was a bit cautious on taxi's but from what I have heard they seem to have been fairly reasonable
Mexico on 17:40 - Apr 28 with 1866 viewsColin_Viljoen

You must & I mean you must go to CoCo Bongo's in Cancun
Best night out you will ever have!!
Mexico on 17:54 - Apr 28 with 1853 viewsBLUEBEAT

Mexico on 16:05 - Apr 28 by Adam

Yeah I like the idea of not booking before hand and doing things on the day

I was a bit cautious on taxi's but from what I have heard they seem to have been fairly reasonable

Taxis are a massive bonus that side of Mexico. They have set rate cards (your hotel reception will have pamphlets you keep). They're cheap and there are no set timings. Coaches are pricey, annoying, take ages etc. Buses are stressful and confusing. Hire car/motorbike is a big no-no as the Police target tourists expecting bribe payments.

Xcaret in the evening is good too for the shows at the events stadium - we watched them play that weird football type game with the stone hoops. Winners didn't get sacrificed though.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2017 17:57]

Poll: W or W

Mexico on 18:35 - Apr 28 with 1835 viewsjas0999

There are lots of snakes.
Mexico on 19:33 - Apr 28 with 1810 viewsJon_456

I would recommend Isla Mujeres. We went couple of years ago and from memory the ferry cost about £4-£5 per person for a return trip. Can rent golf buggies to drive around the island on and it has some amazing beaches and good taverns for a bite to eat and a drink or 5..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024