Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Most underrated Ipswich player ever? 13:20 - Apr 28 with 14202 viewsHarryWright

After the thread on the overrated players yesterday I thought I'd start one for underrated players.

I'll start with Jon Stead, never got the credit he deserved.
Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 13:21 - Apr 28 with 7058 viewsPJH

Most of those mentioned as being overrated in the other thread.
Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 13:43 - Apr 28 with 6996 viewsBlueBadger

David Wright. Solid, unspectacular, professional to the last and reliable as hell.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 13:46 - Apr 28 with 6986 viewsThrobbe

Honourable mention for Jamie Clapham. When he played well, the team played well. Far more influential than he is given credit for.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 13:48 - Apr 28 with 6974 viewsReuser_is_God

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 13:21 - Apr 28 by PJH

Most of those mentioned as being overrated in the other thread.

How anyone can say that Pablo was overrated is beyond me.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 13:51 - Apr 28 with 6956 viewsFtnfwest

David Lowe
Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 13:54 - Apr 28 with 6951 viewsSuperfrans

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 13:48 - Apr 28 by Reuser_is_God

How anyone can say that Pablo was overrated is beyond me.

Pablo's a McGoldrick type player, for me.

Obviously, he was/is supremely talented, lots of skill, great touch on the ball - but never quite delivered what you felt he possibly could...

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 13:56 - Apr 28 with 6940 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Jonathan Douglas.

Also Chris Makin.

Poll: Best Football Song

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 13:57 - Apr 28 with 6930 viewsFtnfwest

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 13:54 - Apr 28 by Superfrans

Pablo's a McGoldrick type player, for me.

Obviously, he was/is supremely talented, lots of skill, great touch on the ball - but never quite delivered what you felt he possibly could...

goals per start record better than murph
Login to get fewer ads

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 14:01 - Apr 28 with 6911 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Someone who never gets a mention is Nicky Forster.

Was rather underwhelmed when we signed him, but he knew where the net was when he was fit.

Poll: Best Football Song

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 14:07 - Apr 28 with 6885 viewsHarryWright

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 13:57 - Apr 28 by Ftnfwest

goals per start record better than murph

Let's be honest, we didn't see the real Murph until Mccarthy took over because the other two clueless managers decided he was somehow a winger.
Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 14:13 - Apr 28 with 6866 viewsclive_baker

Agree on those suggested so far. Makin and David Wright were very good, solid fullbacks.

I used to quite rate David Norris but he never seemed overly popular here, probably the price tag he came with didn't do him any favours. Or the whole handcuff thing.

My votes go to Paul Mason. Loved him when I was growing up, and underrated on the basis that he never seems to get spoken about.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 14:19 - Apr 28 with 6849 viewsFtnfwest

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 14:07 - Apr 28 by HarryWright

Let's be honest, we didn't see the real Murph until Mccarthy took over because the other two clueless managers decided he was somehow a winger.

indeed, his record outside of 2014-15 isn't legendary
Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 14:23 - Apr 28 with 6843 viewsRadlett_blue

Massimo Luongo. I thought he was a really good technical footballer, although I understood that Mick felt he wasn't what was needed in a relegation battle.
A much better footballer than Skuse, for example.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 14:41 - Apr 28 with 6818 viewsBlueastheycome

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 13:43 - Apr 28 by BlueBadger

David Wright. Solid, unspectacular, professional to the last and reliable as hell.

I agree.

He is abit of a cult in my eyes..always 7/10 week in week out. To have one player in the back line that achieves 7/10 every single game of the season shouldn't be scoffed at.

Edit: I always like Jamie Peters too. He would work his b*llocks off wherever he was asked to play on the pitch. Never forget that arsenal game in the league cup (one of his last appearances in a town shirt I think) he huffed and puffed like no other player for town I had ever seen (with the exception of Kuqi)

"However Peters had his strongest performance as a Tractor Boy in the first game after Keane was sacked. It came in the League Cup Semi-Final first leg against Arsenal on January 12, 2011. Peters marked Andrei Arshavin so well it forced Arsène Wenger to sub the Russian Winger out in the second half, Ipswich won the game 1-0.[25] Following the hire of Paul Jewell as manager in early January, Peters began to struggle for first team selection" << a quick search on Wikipedia
[Post edited 28 Apr 2017 14:50]
Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 14:45 - Apr 28 with 6797 viewsGeoffSentence

Steve McCall

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 14:51 - Apr 28 with 6778 viewsWD19

Agree with a lot already here: Wright, Makin, Mahon, McGreal.

Are there any underacted players who don't start with an M (upside down or otherwise!?)
Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 15:27 - Apr 28 with 6726 viewsHeathlander

Mark Brennan
Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 15:37 - Apr 28 with 6712 viewsLord_Lucan

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 13:56 - Apr 28 by RoyKeanesDog

Jonathan Douglas.

Also Chris Makin.

Agree with Makin, he was superb. All went a bit sour at the end though.

Regarding your era I would also say Tommy Miller. Yes he was appreciated but his goalscoring from midfield was fantastic.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 15:40 - Apr 28 with 6699 viewsKeaneish

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 13:43 - Apr 28 by BlueBadger

Yep. There's been no-one better or as natural in that position since the dark Lord axed him.

Carlos Edwards, Tom Eastman, Richard Stearman, Liam Rosenior, Jack Ainsley, Reece Wabara, Jamie Peters, Frazer Richardson, Frederic Vesseli, Luke Chambers, Elliot Hewitt....

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 15:54 - Apr 28 with 6676 viewsArcher4721

Trevor Whymark.
Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 16:03 - Apr 28 with 6657 viewstheblueginger

David Norris.

Marton Fulop was a very solid keeper, yet PJ seemed to prefer ALB....
[Post edited 28 Apr 2017 16:07]
Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 16:07 - Apr 28 with 6628 viewsArcher4721

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 16:03 - Apr 28 by theblueginger

David Norris.

David Norris?

He cost us nearly £3 million!

Certainly not underrated!
Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 16:17 - Apr 28 with 6585 viewsClapham_Junction

David Norris.

I'm sure ALB's agent will be along shortly with the points-per-game stats.

I always thought Jon Walters was underrated.
Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 16:19 - Apr 28 with 6579 viewsPhilTWTD

David Norris.

Think PJ moving Marton Fulop on was more to do with his wages being very high than relating to his ability. Think offloading him freed up enough cash for about three players.
Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 16:20 - Apr 28 with 6577 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Micky Stockwell

Poll: Our final position

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024