Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Most underrated Ipswich player ever? 13:20 - Apr 28 with 14129 viewsHarryWright

After the thread on the overrated players yesterday I thought I'd start one for underrated players.

I'll start with Jon Stead, never got the credit he deserved.
Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 20:10 - Apr 28 with 3467 viewsjaykay

kevin wilson

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 20:19 - Apr 28 with 3457 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 13:46 - Apr 28 by Throbbe

Honourable mention for Jamie Clapham. When he played well, the team played well. Far more influential than he is given credit for.

He was very good but was he underrated though? Got sold to premiership brum when we got relegated so I'd say not
Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 20:42 - Apr 28 with 3442 viewsNorthstandoldie

Brian Talbot.
Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 20:53 - Apr 28 with 3436 viewsLord_Lucan

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 19:47 - Apr 28 by Gates2Reuser

Kevin O'Callaghan
Irvin Gernon

O'' Callaghan was bloody hopeless at our level at the time. Complete waste of space.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 20:56 - Apr 28 with 3432 viewsmonty_radio

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 15:27 - Apr 28 by Heathlander

Mark Brennan

i always wanted him to be good because he seemed to have a good footballing brain, but ultimately he was a bit of a disappointment for me.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 21:00 - Apr 28 with 3428 viewsmonty_radio

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 20:53 - Apr 28 by Lord_Lucan

O'' Callaghan was bloody hopeless at our level at the time. Complete waste of space.

When buying him for a princely £250000 Sir Bob said he was "one for the future", but it never quite arrived, did it?

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 21:01 - Apr 28 with 3429 viewsPJH

I think his problem was that he was a winger trying to fit into a team that basically played without wingers to start with but a useful sub in 1980/81.
When that great side started to break up he got more game time in 82/83 and 83/84 but not one of SBR's best signings.
Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 22:14 - Apr 28 with 3385 viewsStNeotsBlue

Paul Goddard. An integral part pf the team that won the DIv 2 title in 1992. His legs were on the way out but his footballing brain was still top notch. Often found himself in little pockets of space and moved the ball on beautifully.
Login to get fewer ads

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 00:04 - Apr 29 with 3345 viewsFartman

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 16:07 - Apr 28 by Archer4721

David Norris?

He cost us nearly £3 million!

Certainly not underrated!

Leave the pricetag out of it...

"Success is not final; failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts." -- Winston S. Churchill

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 00:19 - Apr 29 with 3330 viewscharlie1

Damien Delaney is an interesting one.

Played at left back he was rated exactly as he should be - utter sh!te.

But when he moved into the centre, and then off to Palace, he was transformed!!
Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 06:57 - Apr 29 with 3277 viewsFartman

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 14:13 - Apr 28 by clive_baker

Agree on those suggested so far. Makin and David Wright were very good, solid fullbacks.

I used to quite rate David Norris but he never seemed overly popular here, probably the price tag he came with didn't do him any favours. Or the whole handcuff thing.

My votes go to Paul Mason. Loved him when I was growing up, and underrated on the basis that he never seems to get spoken about.

Agree, his long range goals were brilliant. He was fitted with some massive thighs, real beams!

"Success is not final; failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts." -- Winston S. Churchill

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 11:11 - Apr 29 with 3212 viewsbobwya

Colin Viljoen
Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 11:16 - Apr 29 with 3210 viewsHerbivore

Micky Stockwell. As I understand it there are still some who don't regard him as the best player ever to pull on the blue shirt.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 11:18 - Apr 29 with 3202 viewsPJH

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 11:16 - Apr 29 by Herbivore

Micky Stockwell. As I understand it there are still some who don't regard him as the best player ever to pull on the blue shirt.

Probably the best kitchen fitter or whatever to pull on the blue shirt.
Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 11:20 - Apr 29 with 3198 viewsHerbivore

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 00:19 - Apr 29 by charlie1

Damien Delaney is an interesting one.

Played at left back he was rated exactly as he should be - utter sh!te.

But when he moved into the centre, and then off to Palace, he was transformed!!

Delaney was also crap at centre back here, let's not rewrite history. He's gone on to do well at Palace but he looked pretty shocking for 90% of his time here.

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 11:21 - Apr 29 with 3195 viewsHerbivore

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 11:18 - Apr 29 by PJH

Probably the best kitchen fitter or whatever to pull on the blue shirt.

Further evidence of his incredible versatility.

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 11:23 - Apr 29 with 3192 viewsPJH

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 11:21 - Apr 29 by Herbivore

Further evidence of his incredible versatility.

Perhaps or maybe evidence that not many ex ITFC players have become kitchen fitters.

There was a lot to like about Stockwell as a player but not sure that he was underrated.
Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 11:29 - Apr 29 with 3179 viewsHerbivore

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 11:23 - Apr 29 by PJH

Perhaps or maybe evidence that not many ex ITFC players have become kitchen fitters.

There was a lot to like about Stockwell as a player but not sure that he was underrated.

No he wasn't, I was just messing about. Loads of Town fans of my age (mid 30s) have a lot of love for Micky.

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 11:41 - Apr 29 with 3164 viewsPJH

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 11:29 - Apr 29 by Herbivore

No he wasn't, I was just messing about. Loads of Town fans of my age (mid 30s) have a lot of love for Micky.

I had got you down at being older than that because your understanding of football and ITFC seems almost as good as mine(mid 60s).
Just messing about.
Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 11:56 - Apr 29 with 3145 viewsfeelingblue

Peter Morris - an early example of what would now be called a holding midfielder
Mick Mills - yes he is underrated, he was the most successful ITFC player ever
Scowie - He was crucial in the team that finished 5th
Jermaine Wright - cracking footballer
Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 12:06 - Apr 29 with 3140 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Ted Phillips (never saw him play but my dad and granddads swore he was something special) Crawford got all the plaudits, Eric Gates (kept is up almost single handly one season,) Kevin Wilson, Trevor Whymark, David Johnson Mk2 (better than Stewart and Scowie imo), Trevor Putney, Romeo Zondervan, Manu Thetis (unfairly slated, was a beast and a ball playing ch , made odd error but so does John Stones and some people laud him).

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 12:39 - Apr 29 with 3110 viewsirishtim

Steve Whitton
Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 12:52 - Apr 29 with 3098 viewsPJH

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 12:06 - Apr 29 by Jonnosdreadlocks

Ted Phillips (never saw him play but my dad and granddads swore he was something special) Crawford got all the plaudits, Eric Gates (kept is up almost single handly one season,) Kevin Wilson, Trevor Whymark, David Johnson Mk2 (better than Stewart and Scowie imo), Trevor Putney, Romeo Zondervan, Manu Thetis (unfairly slated, was a beast and a ball playing ch , made odd error but so does John Stones and some people laud him).

I don't think Ted Phillips was underrated by those of us that saw him play.
True that Crawford got more if not all of the plaudits but in my opinion Crawford was our best ever centre forward with only Mariner getting close to him.
Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 13:00 - Apr 29 with 3076 viewsGeoffSentence

The international with 21 caps? I loved watching play, still you have confirmed his underrated status.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 14:11 - Apr 29 with 3049 viewsjaykay

Most underrated Ipswich player ever? on 12:52 - Apr 29 by PJH

I don't think Ted Phillips was underrated by those of us that saw him play.
True that Crawford got more if not all of the plaudits but in my opinion Crawford was our best ever centre forward with only Mariner getting close to him.

the most underrated ipswich town player by the opposition teams was sticks leadbetter, until after the match.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024