Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election 19:35 - Apr 28 with 2295 viewsArcher4721

Tory MP drops out of election after telling pupils 'homosexuality is wrong'

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/28/tory-mp-steps-down-after-tellin
Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 19:46 - Apr 28 with 1758 viewsElderGrizzly

If only the same firmness was applied to anti-semitism within the Labour party too.

We've led the way to show Jeremy how...
Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 19:53 - Apr 28 with 1740 viewsFtnfwest

Pressure on farron then
Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 19:57 - Apr 28 with 1722 viewsJ2BLUE

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 19:53 - Apr 28 by Ftnfwest

Pressure on farron then

I am no fan of Farron but he is completely different. He has his personal beliefs but he doesn't try and force them on everyone else by trying to vote based on those beliefs. I actually respect Farron's stance, whilst completely disagreeing with his view that gay sex is wrong. He has now said he doesn't believe it's wrong but he clearly does as it has taken so long to answer. It's refreshing that he has his beliefs but isn't trying to force them on everyone else. We need to respect his right to hold different beliefs as well however much we disagree.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 19:57 - Apr 28 with 1723 viewsElderGrizzly

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 19:53 - Apr 28 by Ftnfwest

Pressure on farron then

Is there?

He's voted for equality and said homosexuality isn't a sin multiple times. What more does he need to do?
Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:01 - Apr 28 with 1706 viewsFtnfwest

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 19:57 - Apr 28 by ElderGrizzly

Is there?

He's voted for equality and said homosexuality isn't a sin multiple times. What more does he need to do?

I know what he said but do you really think there won't be more pressure on him?
Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:03 - Apr 28 with 1699 viewsElderGrizzly

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 19:57 - Apr 28 by J2BLUE

I am no fan of Farron but he is completely different. He has his personal beliefs but he doesn't try and force them on everyone else by trying to vote based on those beliefs. I actually respect Farron's stance, whilst completely disagreeing with his view that gay sex is wrong. He has now said he doesn't believe it's wrong but he clearly does as it has taken so long to answer. It's refreshing that he has his beliefs but isn't trying to force them on everyone else. We need to respect his right to hold different beliefs as well however much we disagree.

How do you know "he clearly does"? He quite rightly doesn't believe it is anyone's business given his voting as an MP has always supported it.

You think eggs should be cooked a certain way, that is abhorrent to most human beings but we haven't ostracised you for it. Yet....
Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:06 - Apr 28 with 1697 viewsElderGrizzly

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:01 - Apr 28 by Ftnfwest

I know what he said but do you really think there won't be more pressure on him?

From certain elements of the media there will be, because they have very little else to chip away at. It's a cheap shot.

I'd like to see them question a Muslim MP or a Catholic MP on elements of their faith in the same way, if religion appears to be an issue for them.
Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:08 - Apr 28 with 1678 viewsJ2BLUE

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:03 - Apr 28 by ElderGrizzly

How do you know "he clearly does"? He quite rightly doesn't believe it is anyone's business given his voting as an MP has always supported it.

You think eggs should be cooked a certain way, that is abhorrent to most human beings but we haven't ostracised you for it. Yet....

Use some common sense. He has been getting a pasting for it and he still didn't say no. He wasn't doing that to make a point about how it's not anyone else's business. He didn't want to be truthful.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:10 - Apr 28 with 1670 viewsFtnfwest

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:06 - Apr 28 by ElderGrizzly

From certain elements of the media there will be, because they have very little else to chip away at. It's a cheap shot.

I'd like to see them question a Muslim MP or a Catholic MP on elements of their faith in the same way, if religion appears to be an issue for them.

Quite agree. Can equally see the media totally destroying may for instance if she implied/held the same views. 'Tory press' or not
Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:11 - Apr 28 with 1664 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 19:46 - Apr 28 by ElderGrizzly

If only the same firmness was applied to anti-semitism within the Labour party too.

'We'??

I thought you were a lib dem MER?

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:20 - Apr 28 with 1627 viewsblue_oyster

Well, he was asked.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:21 - Apr 28 with 1612 viewsfactual_blue

Your first two words are of course synonyms.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:36 - Apr 28 with 1584 viewsElderGrizzly

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:11 - Apr 28 by The_Romford_Blue

'We'??

I thought you were a lib dem MER?

Yes, "we" as in the Lib Dems, have led the way in dealing with it

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/26/lib-dems-criticised-over-resele
Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:38 - Apr 28 with 1580 viewssparks

Its unfortunate that many MPs including certain leaders may have sympathy for that view, regardless of what they say in public

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:40 - Apr 28 with 1572 viewsElderGrizzly

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:08 - Apr 28 by J2BLUE

Use some common sense. He has been getting a pasting for it and he still didn't say no. He wasn't doing that to make a point about how it's not anyone else's business. He didn't want to be truthful.

I have used common sense. That's the point.

He didn't feel he had to surrender to the constant sniping/questioning on principle, as his privately held views are just that, but it was eventually a distraction so he relented.

How he acts as a politician in bringing equality to millions is important. What his or his religion's view on it is irrelevant. It shows he can separate the two which is more important to me.
Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:40 - Apr 28 with 1570 viewssparks

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 19:57 - Apr 28 by J2BLUE

We need to recognise the difference between respecting the right to hold a belief and respecting the belief itself. Someone who holds that belief is not someone I want involved in leading the country.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:42 - Apr 28 with 1564 viewsElderGrizzly

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:40 - Apr 28 by sparks

We need to recognise the difference between respecting the right to hold a belief and respecting the belief itself. Someone who holds that belief is not someone I want involved in leading the country.

Most of the cabinet, potentially including the PM, is in trouble then.
Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:42 - Apr 28 with 1561 viewsEastTownBlue

He will be missed

https://onthewight.com/heres-details-andrew-turner-accused-incorrectly-claiming-
[Post edited 28 Apr 2017 20:42]
Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:48 - Apr 28 with 1545 viewsArcher4721

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:10 - Apr 28 by Ftnfwest

Quite agree. Can equally see the media totally destroying may for instance if she implied/held the same views. 'Tory press' or not

She does. Look at her voting record on such issues

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:52 - Apr 28 with 1532 viewssparks

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:48 - Apr 28 by Archer4721

There is an extent to which i think we should be more forgiving about views that are some years old- society has changed a lot and views with it.

Not convinced the 2010 onwards stuff is relevant to the issue raised by the OP

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:56 - Apr 28 with 1514 viewsWD19

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:52 - Apr 28 by sparks

There is an extent to which i think we should be more forgiving about views that are some years old- society has changed a lot and views with it.

I am thinking she must have been in sabbatical 2011-14!?
Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:58 - Apr 28 with 1507 viewsArcher4721

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:52 - Apr 28 by sparks

Well that's very gallant of you.

Shame you can't apply that same view to Jeremy Corbyn's 30-40 year old past.
Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:59 - Apr 28 with 1503 viewsGlasgowBlue

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:48 - Apr 28 by Archer4721

"states it is impossible to build a cohesive society where the is any immigration"

That is a complete and utter fabrication isn't it? She never said that did she?
[Post edited 28 Apr 2017 20:59]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 21:00 - Apr 28 with 1493 viewsGlasgowBlue

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 19:46 - Apr 28 by ElderGrizzly

Farron needed a push from Eric Pickles first though didn't he. Before Pickles intervention Farron was saying it wasn't up to the leadership to intervene.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 21:37 - Apr 28 with 1450 viewsArcher4721

Homophobic Tory MP drops out of election on 20:59 - Apr 28 by GlasgowBlue

"states it is impossible to build a cohesive society where the is any immigration"

That is a complete and utter fabrication isn't it? She never said that did she?
[Post edited 28 Apr 2017 20:59]

Home Secretary Theresa May tells her party's conference that high levels of immigration make it impossible to have a "cohesive society".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-34459284/may-immigration-harms-social-c
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024