Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week 17:28 - Apr 29 with 6237 viewsglasso

My mate bumped into MM last week on a train out of London and spent the whole journey talking to him. He's not an Ipswich fan so didn't ask a great deal about our plight, but he said MM was very open about his frustration at not getting any money to spend. He said the club was skint (so stopped short of actually blaming ME), but said it's become a tough job and my mate got the impression from the way he was talking that he felt it was getting tougher and tougher - i.e. that he's not sure we'll go up at ANY point.

He also said that he desperately hoped Sunderland didn't go down - not just because of his ties, but because he wasn't looking forward to those ridiculously long trips up there to play them.

I feel sorry for Mick sometimes. Yeah, we play terrible football (and I was at Fulham watching professional footballers on thousands of pounds a week who were unable to put a free kick or corner into the box, and that's entirely on Mick's shoulders), but ultimately we're a terrible club at the moment, from top to bottom. He knows it, but he can't come out and slate the owner - he's just got to get on with his job as best he can...
Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 17:30 - Apr 29 with 6151 viewsLord_Lucan

The club may be skint but ME isn't.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 17:32 - Apr 29 with 6095 viewsJ2BLUE

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 17:30 - Apr 29 by Lord_Lucan

Well why don't YOU buy the club then?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 17:32 - Apr 29 with 6093 viewsglasso

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 17:30 - Apr 29 by Lord_Lucan

Exactly. That's why I feel for MM. We've got a rich owner who doesn't want to spend the money, but at the same time doesn't want to turn up to games and take the flak for it 0 he leaves that up to MM to deal with
Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 17:57 - Apr 29 with 5806 viewsfactual_blue

Unlikely.

Any manager would assume a random stranger is a journo or twitterer and clam up.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 19:42 - May 20 with 4852 viewsglasso

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 17:57 - Apr 29 by factual_blue

Unlikely.

Any manager would assume a random stranger is a journo or twitterer and clam up.

What is it with you lot on here being so weirdly sceptical!? Pretty lame story to make up.

As it happens, the guy was a journalist. A music journalist. And he told him that early doors.

I hate to break it to you (as someone who used to BE a journalist), but I wouldn't be rushing to stop the presses because MM spoke to somebody who didn't record the conversation but he said Ipswich don't have much money and it's a bit frustrating.

I mean, maybe I should try and sell that story to the tabloids, but something tells me they'd have to look up who Ipswich were before they sent me any big bucks.
Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 19:46 - May 20 with 4820 viewsElderGrizzly

ME isn't cash rich or particularly a risk taker though and that is the big problem.

He certainly can't compete with the new money in the game, so we have to find a new owner willing/able to lose £20m a season or find a different way of competing
Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 19:47 - May 20 with 4809 viewsElderGrizzly

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 17:32 - Apr 29 by glasso

Exactly. That's why I feel for MM. We've got a rich owner who doesn't want to spend the money, but at the same time doesn't want to turn up to games and take the flak for it 0 he leaves that up to MM to deal with

ME is at almost every home game and also a decent amount of away games. That's one stick you can't beat him with
Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 20:14 - May 20 with 4673 viewsArnieM

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 19:47 - May 20 by ElderGrizzly

ME is at almost every home game and also a decent amount of away games. That's one stick you can't beat him with

are you sure about that?

My understanding is that he's only allowed to set foot in the UK on a limited number of occasions a year or his will be walloped for tax.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Login to get fewer ads

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 20:17 - May 20 with 4655 viewsbrogansnose

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 17:57 - Apr 29 by factual_blue

Unlikely.

Unless he was dressed as a sheik in which case its fine to come out with all sorts of stuff.
Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 20:31 - May 20 with 4556 viewsElderGrizzly

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 20:14 - May 20 by ArnieM

are you sure about that?

My understanding is that he's only allowed to set foot in the UK on a limited number of occasions a year or his will be walloped for tax.

Absolutely 100%. Set eyes on him almost every home game
Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 23:06 - May 20 with 4105 viewsArnieM

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 20:31 - May 20 by ElderGrizzly

Absolutely 100%. Set eyes on him almost every home game

Well if that's the case he's an even bigger nob than I first thought. If he has seriously watched the shyte we've had to put up with and still not acted, we are royally f lucked

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 23:15 - May 20 with 4067 viewsJ2BLUE

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 23:06 - May 20 by ArnieM

Well if that's the case he's an even bigger nob than I first thought. If he has seriously watched the shyte we've had to put up with and still not acted, we are royally f lucked

It's probably a lot better when you're in corporate with senses dulled by a few drinks, a nice meal and hosting business contacts to make a few more ££.

His experience will be nothing like the average fan who has paid a very high ticket price and wasted some of their limited time off, potentially away from family, to watch total rubbish.

Someone will now point out that he puts in millions each year on average so is paying more per game...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 23:23 - May 20 with 4037 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 19:42 - May 20 by glasso

What is it with you lot on here being so weirdly sceptical!? Pretty lame story to make up.

As it happens, the guy was a journalist. A music journalist. And he told him that early doors.

I hate to break it to you (as someone who used to BE a journalist), but I wouldn't be rushing to stop the presses because MM spoke to somebody who didn't record the conversation but he said Ipswich don't have much money and it's a bit frustrating.

I mean, maybe I should try and sell that story to the tabloids, but something tells me they'd have to look up who Ipswich were before they sent me any big bucks.

A 3 week delayed blub.

Impressive.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 06:26 - May 21 with 3759 viewsBenters

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 19:42 - May 20 by glasso

This

Have a uppie

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 06:29 - May 21 with 3756 viewsNo9

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 20:14 - May 20 by ArnieM

are you sure about that?

There are easy ways round that if you are rich, it is done on a regular basis by many who wish to avoid tax.
Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 08:08 - May 21 with 3617 viewsbluejacko

Well we all know the reasons the club is even more skint to the tune of £1m+ dont we.?
Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 08:11 - May 21 with 3607 viewsBenters

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 08:08 - May 21 by bluejacko

Well we all know the reasons the club is even more skint to the tune of £1m+ dont we.?

Blamz da fanz ?

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 08:22 - May 21 with 3553 viewsMaySixth

Mick McCarthy is a very nice bloke.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 08:25 - May 21 with 3543 viewsSwailsey

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 08:22 - May 21 by MaySixth

Mick McCarthy is a very nice bloke.

Agreed

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 12:29 - May 21 with 3247 viewsbraveblue

He could tell the truth in public. He won't as he is good money. Nothing excuses his tactics and his destruction of young players.
Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 12:31 - May 21 with 3244 viewsMullet

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 12:29 - May 21 by braveblue

He could tell the truth in public. He won't as he is good money. Nothing excuses his tactics and his destruction of young players.

This being the season where he's probably used more young players across the side than ever and we've had our worst finish?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 13:23 - May 21 with 3160 viewsThePitBoss

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 12:31 - May 21 by Mullet

This being the season where he's probably used more young players across the side than ever and we've had our worst finish?

Are you blaming the worst season in living memory on the young players?
Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 13:32 - May 21 with 3120 viewsMullet

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 13:23 - May 21 by ThePitBoss

Are you blaming the worst season in living memory on the young players?

No, Jewell.

You seem to be moving on to a different a thread or not reading the previous posts.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 14:07 - May 21 with 3066 viewsartsbossbeard

Mick McCarthy on a train back from London last week on 12:29 - May 21 by braveblue

He won't publicly criticise the owner.

He'll, I'm sure, want another manager job when he leaves town and which owner out there is going to look positively on a candidate who has moaned about club owners historically.

He may well be many things but stupid isn't one.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024