Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A new manager 20:35 - Apr 29 with 1699 viewschristiand

Genuine question, if a new manager came in, with the same available players , could he get the team to play a better brand of football? Could that manager get more from this current squad than MM?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

A new manager on 20:43 - Apr 29 with 1664 viewsbontcho

Personally I think MM gets pretty much the best out of his squad. May be not so much this year but I bet our playing budget is about the same as our final position. However a different manager playing a more passing style would struggle with that squad. He'd need to change a few.

Bulgarian penalty hero
Poll: Which Harrison should we sign?

A new manager on 20:44 - Apr 29 with 1657 viewsJ2BLUE

Are you saying with the full backs, midfielders and strikers we have we couldn't play a better style of football?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

A new manager on 20:52 - Apr 29 with 1636 viewschristiand

A new manager on 20:43 - Apr 29 by bontcho

Personally I think MM gets pretty much the best out of his squad. May be not so much this year but I bet our playing budget is about the same as our final position. However a different manager playing a more passing style would struggle with that squad. He'd need to change a few.

I just wonder Bontcho if a manager who had a good coaching team around him could train the players to be better footballers? I look at Webster as a footballing centre half, Kenlock and Emmanuel have come through the academy and played in that fashion of retaining possession and Spence looks decent on the ball. It just seems too easy to just lump the ball forward into a space. To me that doesn't require a lot of coaching ability. Get the players to work on patterns of play, positionally when the ball is in different areas of the pitch. Without a doubt there are few 'cloggers' in that current XI that are too long in the tooth to change their style, although some would be needed for their grit, strength and will to win. I just get the impression we change formation, but don't really know how to play it effectively.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

A new manager on 21:07 - Apr 29 with 1582 viewsblueblood66

I think so! Play Sears up front, have 1 not 2 defensive midfielders , play the 2 young full/wing backs, play an attacking creative midfield and be more adventurous. Ok we might get slapped occasionally like Brentford do but lets see some goals!
A new manager on 21:17 - Apr 29 with 1558 viewsFtnfwest

Wouldn't really be a fair comparison as even mick got to choose his own players" I don't know, trying anything else seems better than this
A new manager on 21:32 - Apr 29 with 1525 viewsbontcho

A new manager on 20:52 - Apr 29 by christiand

I just wonder Bontcho if a manager who had a good coaching team around him could train the players to be better footballers? I look at Webster as a footballing centre half, Kenlock and Emmanuel have come through the academy and played in that fashion of retaining possession and Spence looks decent on the ball. It just seems too easy to just lump the ball forward into a space. To me that doesn't require a lot of coaching ability. Get the players to work on patterns of play, positionally when the ball is in different areas of the pitch. Without a doubt there are few 'cloggers' in that current XI that are too long in the tooth to change their style, although some would be needed for their grit, strength and will to win. I just get the impression we change formation, but don't really know how to play it effectively.

Some players would be ok in a passing set up (e.g. Webster, Kenlock, Dozzell) but others (e.g. Berra, Sears and perhaps McGoldrick) are more suited to the current style. I'm not sure it's easier to coach long ball style, because the defensive organisation required is very tough to coach I'd say.

Bulgarian penalty hero
Poll: Which Harrison should we sign?

A new manager on 23:38 - Apr 29 with 1389 viewsSimonds92

A new manager on 21:32 - Apr 29 by bontcho

Some players would be ok in a passing set up (e.g. Webster, Kenlock, Dozzell) but others (e.g. Berra, Sears and perhaps McGoldrick) are more suited to the current style. I'm not sure it's easier to coach long ball style, because the defensive organisation required is very tough to coach I'd say.

Since when did defensive organisation dictate whether you lump the ball up to the oppositions centre halves?! Sears and McGoldrick are 2 players that would relish the ball to feet or slipped in behind defenders. Our entire academy system teaches players how to play properly and always has done, suddenly they get to the first team level and are told to do alien things rather than what they're good at. Bearing in mind the last few years have demonstrated that to be successful in this division you need to be good on the ball, be creative and have a lot of possession then we have got a choice of either trying to play or continue this downward spiral. We could have £20million to spend but if we continue to play the same style we'll struggle to make the top 10.
A new manager on 23:50 - Apr 29 with 1368 viewsEireannach_gorm

A new manager on 20:44 - Apr 29 by J2BLUE

Are you saying with the full backs, midfielders and strikers we have we couldn't play a better style of football?

yes. That was our best team today, how did that go?
Login to get fewer ads

A new manager on 23:57 - Apr 29 with 1354 viewsTractorWood

I definitely think someone could come in and play a better brand of football but results would probably deteriorate. I struggle to see 3 worse teams next season.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024