Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Warky Report: Sheffield Wednesday (h) 21:06 - Apr 29 with 1627 viewsWarkystache

It's the end of the season. My ST has already been consigned to the pot next to the lamp where countless others have been buried, without ceremony. I'm off out for a drink in a mo so I'll make this quick (might post it on me phone later). It's 6.35 on Saturday evening. I'm getting the first twinge of a hangover and need to stop it before I start feeling too ill to drink more.

The train from Manningtree was late and empty. It cruised through the fields and past the Stour like a ghost, ever onwards towards the estates and the docks and the empty school playing fields which mark the first movement of passengers towards the door. The sun shone, the punters at the station drank iced lattes from Starbucks and wore sunglasses and looked peevish.

The Sheffield lot were out in force, guzzling lager from The Station Hotel, a few cursory coppers keeping an eye. Comments of "By 'eck", "which weres'town?" and "we'll piss'em terdeh" marked them out, along with their pinstriped blue shirts and air of hope. A man and his son, both wearing Wednesday away shirts with LEE on the back, were talking of who they'd probably get in the play-off's. The Town fans walked with heads down.

The pub was busy with elderly men supping John Smiths and laughing together on high stools at sticky tables. It was like groundhog day. It's like this every time. We chatted about various stuff, avoiding the game and the team, hoping the players who turned up on Easter Monday might deign to appear again today. My Wetherspoons burger was dry and tasted only of the ketchup I smothered it in. The draught Aspalls helped it down.

We had no cutting edge on the pitch. We looked like a team who are on holiday. We're safe from everything; from the mad scramble to avoid League 1 to the painful hope of going into the play-off's in a bit of form. The team are safe, and they are one-dimensional and they are beaten by a decent goal and they clap us at the end behind ridiculous orange-coated stewards, as though the frustration and the anger and the jeers were happening far away and were of no importance. We went through the usual dirges about Mick and some stayed to make an impotent protest on the end of season walk round. Groundhog day. It happened against Wolves, it happened against anyone who beat us or drew with us when they should've rolled over.

What do we want? What should we expect? How are we going to progress? F*ck knows. I certainly don't. I just remember when I was a kid and April ended with a birthday treat at PR, and I got excited the week leading up to the game, and I had nervy conversations with my dad about what he thought we'd do (hoping he'd say 'we'll win this') and I loved it all and took it home with me in my head and replayed great moments when we'd nearly scored or had scored and I'd been thrilled by it. And now I'm recently 43 and it's all gone stale and angry and resigned.

I always thought, when I was a kid, that I'd go to every game when I was grown up. And now I see the apathy and the disillusionment and I wonder if I want to go back in August? Something's gotta change. Perhaps it's me? We're like a rowing boat on the Orwell, cut adrift from moorings and floating gently on the tide towards nothingness.

Tel's fine btw. His mum-in-law sadly isn't and is in hospital. I can't be bothered writing more.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

The Warky Report: Sheffield Wednesday (h) on 21:11 - Apr 29 with 1593 viewsblueblood66

Poetic.
The Warky Report: Sheffield Wednesday (h) on 06:38 - Apr 30 with 1359 viewsBenters

I was nearly on that train.

I nearly came to see you in the 'spoons. Did Andy go to his last game for however long ? we are going to do a couple of aways next season .

I nearly took up a offer of a free ticket for the game.

My good lady was off work we sat in our garden supping red wine,eating crusty bread cheese and olives,i said bolox to it lets stay here it was glorious .

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

The Warky Report: Sheffield Wednesday (h) on 09:34 - Apr 30 with 1236 viewsWarkystache

The Warky Report: Sheffield Wednesday (h) on 06:38 - Apr 30 by Benters

I was nearly on that train.

I nearly came to see you in the 'spoons. Did Andy go to his last game for however long ? we are going to do a couple of aways next season .

I nearly took up a offer of a free ticket for the game.

My good lady was off work we sat in our garden supping red wine,eating crusty bread cheese and olives,i said bolox to it lets stay here it was glorious .

Andy says he's not renewing now, but it might change depending on what happens over the summer.

Even free, that would have depressed you, matey. It was only the booze that got me through it. I was going to Nottingham next Sunday; but that's a foregone conclusion innit? Shame, 'cos I'd like to relegate Florist.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

The Warky Report: Sheffield Wednesday (h) on 09:39 - Apr 30 with 1229 viewshoofer

Is it your mob that drinks upstairs in the ransomes?
The Warky Report: Sheffield Wednesday (h) on 10:04 - Apr 30 with 1190 viewsBenters

The Warky Report: Sheffield Wednesday (h) on 09:34 - Apr 30 by Warkystache

Andy says he's not renewing now, but it might change depending on what happens over the summer.

Even free, that would have depressed you, matey. It was only the booze that got me through it. I was going to Nottingham next Sunday; but that's a foregone conclusion innit? Shame, 'cos I'd like to relegate Florist.

Yes i spoke to him last week,sad times innit.

Forest will win 2-1 next week.

Gentlybentley

The Warky Report: Sheffield Wednesday (h) on 10:05 - Apr 30 with 1185 viewsBenters

The Warky Report: Sheffield Wednesday (h) on 09:39 - Apr 30 by hoofer

Is it your mob that drinks upstairs in the ransomes?

Yes it is .

Gentlybentley

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024