Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wow - Joshua v Klitschko 23:05 - Apr 29 with 5202 viewsvapour_trail

What a fight, best heavyweight bout I have seen in many years.

Fair play to the pair of them.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Wow on 23:44 - Apr 29 with 3467 viewsstrikalite

Agree, usually hyped to fcuk and never lives up to it, no hype needed for this and credit to both of them for putting on a great show..
Wow on 23:50 - Apr 29 with 3454 viewschristiand

Terrific fight. Didn't have to sell the fight with all the BS we usually have to put up with, just let their fighting do the talking. Klitschko has cemented his legacy with that performance even in defeat. For me, Klitsckho was winning that fight, until AJ stopped him in round 11. The world is AJ's oyster now. Total respect for both fighters tonight.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Wow on 23:57 - Apr 29 with 3430 viewsbaxterbasics

I'm now losing myself in YouTube watching some classics. Now on Tyson v Bruno chapter 2.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Wow on 00:17 - Apr 30 with 3387 viewsvapour_trail

Wow on 23:57 - Apr 29 by baxterbasics

I'm now losing myself in YouTube watching some classics. Now on Tyson v Bruno chapter 2.

Seeing Holyfield there, I want to revisit his big fights.

Agree with all of the above re Klitchsko. What a warrior. Didn't think that would go to 11 after the first 5 or 6.

AJ has a window to really build a name for himself now.

Wow on 00:46 - Apr 30 with 3354 viewsStNeotsBlue

That was a fantastic battle, Joshua could well be something special.
Wow on 00:57 - Apr 30 with 3335 viewsvapour_trail

Wow on 00:46 - Apr 30 by StNeotsBlue

That was a fantastic battle, Joshua could well be something special.

He really could have lost tonight, he looked pissed for a few minutes after he hit the deck. Monumental effort to get back into the fight.

Wow on 01:02 - Apr 30 with 3323 viewsjimsymBLUE

Wow on 00:17 - Apr 30 by vapour_trail

Seeing Holyfield there, I want to revisit his big fights.

Agree with all of the above re Klitchsko. What a warrior. Didn't think that would go to 11 after the first 5 or 6.

AJ has a window to really build a name for himself now.

Think you have to go back to the Holyfield vs Bowe fights to see a better heavyweight matchup, so much credit to Wlad.

Poll: Who is the better contributor to this site?

Wow on 01:08 - Apr 30 with 3320 viewsStNeotsBlue

Wow on 00:57 - Apr 30 by vapour_trail

He really could have lost tonight, he looked pissed for a few minutes after he hit the deck. Monumental effort to get back into the fight.

He was out on his feet towards the end of the 5th, the 6th looked like game over, but he did fantastically to slow things down and get back on an even keel. That upper cut in the 11th was something else.
Login to get fewer ads

Wow on 01:25 - Apr 30 with 3291 viewsvapour_trail

Wow on 01:02 - Apr 30 by jimsymBLUE

Think you have to go back to the Holyfield vs Bowe fights to see a better heavyweight matchup, so much credit to Wlad.

I was trying to recall the Holyfield fights. You're right the Bowe ones were the greats. Slugfests.

Did you see vitali trying to look after his brother after the end. He looked well pissed.

Wow on 01:34 - Apr 30 with 3275 viewsjimsymBLUE

Wow on 01:25 - Apr 30 by vapour_trail

I was trying to recall the Holyfield fights. You're right the Bowe ones were the greats. Slugfests.

Did you see vitali trying to look after his brother after the end. He looked well pissed.

I was too busy going apes!ht. Really thought that AJ had blown his load. He doesn't need to go in that heavy in the future, but for me WK is the hero tonight, maybe its the British in me (a dignified loss) but that's his greatest performance.

Poll: Who is the better contributor to this site?

Wow on 08:30 - Apr 30 with 3101 viewsimsureazzure

Wow on 23:57 - Apr 29 by baxterbasics

Over use of the word classic with the mention of Bruno!
Wow on 08:35 - Apr 30 with 3087 viewsimsureazzure

Should be the inspiration that Fury needs to get clean and in shape.

That would be a great fight.
Wow on 08:54 - Apr 30 with 3056 viewsMullet

WK really won me over in the first couple of rounds. He was snapping at the waist and his footwork were wonderful for a bloke that size. Lennox Lewis made a really good point some time in the build up week about how he might lean on AJ and put hands on his head/shoulders and he was working it a treat.

All that aggression from Joshua wasn't really finding a home for me compared to the flush right hands he took back.

That first knockdown was a great moment, made the contest. Joshua clearly lost his focus and thought he'd won didn't he? To go back and forth like that at any age let alone one so old and a youngster was immense. Thought Joshua could have punched himself out too and get caught. That one really lived up to it.

He should now be in the same bracket as anyone - will he get someone like Wilder now?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Wow on 08:55 - Apr 30 with 3047 viewsGlasgowBlue

Took the Mrs to a pub to watch it. She'd never seen a boxing match before but liked Joshua after watching the documentary on Thursday night.

It was a classic bout. Either one of them could have won it in rounds 4 and 5 and I never expected Joshua to find that energy in round 11 because he'd never been there before.

He will go on to be one of the greats imo.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Wow on 09:04 - Apr 30 with 3026 viewsstrikalite

Wow on 08:54 - Apr 30 by Mullet

WK really won me over in the first couple of rounds. He was snapping at the waist and his footwork were wonderful for a bloke that size. Lennox Lewis made a really good point some time in the build up week about how he might lean on AJ and put hands on his head/shoulders and he was working it a treat.

All that aggression from Joshua wasn't really finding a home for me compared to the flush right hands he took back.

That first knockdown was a great moment, made the contest. Joshua clearly lost his focus and thought he'd won didn't he? To go back and forth like that at any age let alone one so old and a youngster was immense. Thought Joshua could have punched himself out too and get caught. That one really lived up to it.

He should now be in the same bracket as anyone - will he get someone like Wilder now?

Do you think Joshua should lean down a bit? Come in at say 17 stone ish, in tremendous shape but carrying allot of weight there..
Wow on 09:11 - Apr 30 with 3017 viewsMullet

Wow on 09:04 - Apr 30 by strikalite

Do you think Joshua should lean down a bit? Come in at say 17 stone ish, in tremendous shape but carrying allot of weight there..

I dunno. Not sure what his camp were really thinking or what he's capable of performing at. Possibly, but a guess might be they wanted him to have as much power from the opening bell as possible and end the fight in the first five.

Perhaps they'd look at each opponent and alter around that, but the flipside is why change it? He obviously made a huge jump last night it might be a scenario where letting others worry about putting him down plays to his advantage I suppose?

Wow on 09:13 - Apr 30 with 3006 viewsHerbivore

Wow on 09:04 - Apr 30 by strikalite

I agree with this. He was under 17 stone when he started as a pro, somewhere around 17 stone is about right for him, he doesn't need to be nearly 18 stone. The extra weight all takes it out of you.

It was a great fight though. Wlad had way more left than I thought he would after his dismal showing against Fury last time out. He was on his toes and letting his hands go, he looked really good. Joshua's inexperience showed in the 5th, he had Wlad hurt but got reckless and ended up getting tagged and gassing. He'll learn from that, if he'd been a bit more patient he could've ended it there and then. He did amazingly well for an inexperienced fighter to get through the 6th, he looked done. He then regrouped steadily and was coming on strong prior to finishing it. Great performance and a lot of questions answered.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Wow on 09:19 - Apr 30 with 2982 viewsTLA

I think AJ should fight Parker and WK should fight Wilder - a battle for the undisputed crown would be massive and Fury could have a shot at it, if he gets back in shape.
Wow on 09:24 - Apr 30 with 2946 viewsHerbivore

Wow on 09:19 - Apr 30 by TLA

I think AJ should fight Parker and WK should fight Wilder - a battle for the undisputed crown would be massive and Fury could have a shot at it, if he gets back in shape.

The Wlad that showed up last night stops Wilder imo.

Wow on 09:29 - Apr 30 with 2927 viewsTLA

Wow on 09:24 - Apr 30 by Herbivore

I think Wlad was in great shape and put in a huge performance but even the greats can't go on forever. I think Wilder would beat him and Wilder vs AJ would be a close fight.
Wow on 09:31 - Apr 30 with 2920 viewsMullet

Wow on 09:24 - Apr 30 by Herbivore

I think he should walk away after that. Gracious and usher in someone else. There's a reason not many people do a Holyfield.

Wow on 09:32 - Apr 30 with 2908 viewsHerbivore

Wow on 09:29 - Apr 30 by TLA

I think Wlad was in great shape and put in a huge performance but even the greats can't go on forever. I think Wilder would beat him and Wilder vs AJ would be a close fight.

I don't really rate Wilder. He can bang but his actual boxing skills are almost laughable and there are a few unanswered questions about his chin. He's had 30 odd fights without really fighting anyone of any significance and at times he's had his head boxed off by short Polish builders. There's only so many times a big right hand will get you out of trouble. The Wlad of last night would expose him imo, I think AJ absolutely destroys him.

Wow on 09:48 - Apr 30 with 2874 viewsTLA

Wow on 09:32 - Apr 30 by Herbivore

I don't really rate Wilder. He can bang but his actual boxing skills are almost laughable and there are a few unanswered questions about his chin. He's had 30 odd fights without really fighting anyone of any significance and at times he's had his head boxed off by short Polish builders. There's only so many times a big right hand will get you out of trouble. The Wlad of last night would expose him imo, I think AJ absolutely destroys him.

I think that some of what you've said could have applied to AJ before last night. AJ can seem quite flat footed but he did move better last night, and proved that he can get off the floor and produce power late in a fight.

Wilder needs a fight like that to prove himself but I do think it would be a good contest between him and AJ.

Watching and chatting about the heavyweight division just reminds me of how amazing Ali was.
Wow on 10:00 - Apr 30 with 2847 viewsstrikalite

Wow on 09:31 - Apr 30 by Mullet

I think he should walk away after that. Gracious and usher in someone else. There's a reason not many people do a Holyfield.

Thought Holyfield still looked in great shape ringside, good to see..
Wow on 11:23 - Apr 30 with 2767 viewsvapour_trail

Rather strangely, I thought AJ looked in the worst shape after he'd put klitchsko on the deck. Almost like he had expended too much in the process, he looked a bit fcked.

Couldn't go on and finish it there.

I'm going to watch it back in a bit.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024