Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) 17:59 - May 11 with 3205 viewstextbackup

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 18:01 - May 11 with 3193 viewsJ2BLUE

Yes. On Twitter.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 18:02 - May 11 with 3192 viewstextbackup

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 18:01 - May 11 by J2BLUE

Yes. On Twitter.

Eh?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 18:30 - May 11 with 3147 viewsSwansea_Blue

Was it the anniversary today?

Did anyone see the programme Gabby Logan did on this? She was a child in the main stand that day to celebrate her dad winning the title. A really sensitively done programme I thought.

RIp the 56.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 18:36 - May 11 with 3124 viewsLord_Lucan

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 18:30 - May 11 by Swansea_Blue

Was it the anniversary today?

Did anyone see the programme Gabby Logan did on this? She was a child in the main stand that day to celebrate her dad winning the title. A really sensitively done programme I thought.

RIp the 56.

If I remember correctly I was hitch hiking at the time and I got picked up by some Spurs fans who had been to Norwich - although the mind is foggy.

That was the first I heard about it. It truly was a horrific thing to happen, the video (don't google it if you don't want to be shocked) is beyond imagination. An old couple were charcoaled in their seats - they didn't or couldn't move.

People on fire on the pitch and the police trying to smother them.

Truly truly horrific stuff.

RIP to all the poor blighters.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 18:59 - May 11 with 3075 viewsMJallday

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 18:36 - May 11 by Lord_Lucan

If I remember correctly I was hitch hiking at the time and I got picked up by some Spurs fans who had been to Norwich - although the mind is foggy.

That was the first I heard about it. It truly was a horrific thing to happen, the video (don't google it if you don't want to be shocked) is beyond imagination. An old couple were charcoaled in their seats - they didn't or couldn't move.

i had to go on a fire safety briefing a couple of years ago and as part of it we were shown the internal fire brigade un-edited footage of bradford. it was pretty nasty stuff. the speed at which it happened beggars belief.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 19:06 - May 11 with 3054 viewsLord_Lucan

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 18:59 - May 11 by MJallday

i had to go on a fire safety briefing a couple of years ago and as part of it we were shown the internal fire brigade un-edited footage of bradford. it was pretty nasty stuff. the speed at which it happened beggars belief.

Not sure if I've seen the unedited version or not. The one that I have seen is bad enough. The reporter is in the stand opposite the fire and mentions that they have to go because it's too hot to continue. The bloke on fire is on the pitch and amazingly there are loads of Bradford fans dancing on the pitch. Even that version is online - well it was recently anyway. You are right though, the speed was frightening. Fire doors padlocked shut. Terrible stuff.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 19:20 - May 11 with 3026 viewsAlanG296

Town were away up north on the days of the Bradford disaster and Hillsborough, can't remember where or what the results were, but I do remember listening to the awful news on the radio in the car on the way back both times in stunned silence. That people, who just like us, had gone to watch a football match that afternoon, and had lost their lives, was incomprehensible. RIP the 56 and the 96.
Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 19:29 - May 11 with 3003 viewsSwansea_Blue

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 19:06 - May 11 by Lord_Lucan

Not sure if I've seen the unedited version or not. The one that I have seen is bad enough. The reporter is in the stand opposite the fire and mentions that they have to go because it's too hot to continue. The bloke on fire is on the pitch and amazingly there are loads of Bradford fans dancing on the pitch. Even that version is online - well it was recently anyway. You are right though, the speed was frightening. Fire doors padlocked shut. Terrible stuff.

Yeah not good. They showed some really eerie footage on the programme Gabby did. Pics taken by fans in the stadium celebrating and generally having a good time, but when you look at the floor in the corner of the pic there's an orange glow between the cracks. The stand had been on fire a good while before anyone realised.

Terrible stuff.

Login to get fewer ads

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 19:36 - May 11 with 2971 viewsGlasgowBlue

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 18:36 - May 11 by Lord_Lucan

The police have quite rightly come in for a lot of stick over Hillsborough, but they were absolute heroes that day at Bradford.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 19:36 - May 11 with 2977 viewsMJallday

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 19:06 - May 11 by Lord_Lucan

the version we had to watched showed individuals being "put out". and featured video which appeared to be taken from the pitchside.

i dont know if its ever made it as far as the internet . i cant recall seeing it before or since though.

it was sometihing apparently they show to fire cadets for training but we got to see it for something we were doing with the services.

what worries me is the size of some of these stadiums now. thankfully they are designed much better that the rubbish cant accumulate under them - which if i recall was a contributor (along with the fact the stands were pretty much a ticking timebomb)

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 19:42 - May 11 with 2957 viewsSwansea_Blue

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 19:36 - May 11 by MJallday

the version we had to watched showed individuals being "put out". and featured video which appeared to be taken from the pitchside.

i dont know if its ever made it as far as the internet . i cant recall seeing it before or since though.

it was sometihing apparently they show to fire cadets for training but we got to see it for something we were doing with the services.

what worries me is the size of some of these stadiums now. thankfully they are designed much better that the rubbish cant accumulate under them - which if i recall was a contributor (along with the fact the stands were pretty much a ticking timebomb)

I wouldn't have thought there's anything to burn in modern grounds. It's all concrete and steel.

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 20:48 - May 11 with 2877 viewsblueprint

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 19:20 - May 11 by AlanG296

Town were away up north on the days of the Bradford disaster and Hillsborough, can't remember where or what the results were, but I do remember listening to the awful news on the radio in the car on the way back both times in stunned silence. That people, who just like us, had gone to watch a football match that afternoon, and had lost their lives, was incomprehensible. RIP the 56 and the 96.

We were away at Bradford on the day of the Hillsborough tragedy.
Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 21:01 - May 11 with 2851 viewsEastTownBlue

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 19:36 - May 11 by MJallday

Yes - what is often recalled is that part of a newspaper from the sixties was found amongst the rubbish.
Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 21:29 - May 11 with 2801 viewsgainsboroughblue

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 18:59 - May 11 by MJallday

I think I've seen that very same video. It's just awful.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 21:46 - May 11 with 2769 viewspatrickswell

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 20:48 - May 11 by blueprint

We were away at Bradford on the day of the Hillsborough tragedy.

Indeed, 2-2 draw against a Bradford side with Paul Jewell in its line-up. As for the day of the Bradford fire, Kevin Wilson scored a late winner for us in a 2-1 win at Sunderland.

We played Coventry in a night match a few days later and stayed up with a 0-0 draw. Was anyone at that? Was there a minute's silence or anything?

It's not there anymore, but YouTube had a lovely video from late 2007 of the first game since the disaster between Bradford and Lincoln at Valley Parade. The two sides coming on to silence from the crowd, with You'll Never Walk Alone playing over the PA.

By the way, did Town fans get put in the Stacey-West stand at Sincil Bank?
[Post edited 11 May 2017 21:48]
Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 21:56 - May 11 with 2756 viewsgainsboroughblue

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 21:46 - May 11 by patrickswell

Indeed, 2-2 draw against a Bradford side with Paul Jewell in its line-up. As for the day of the Bradford fire, Kevin Wilson scored a late winner for us in a 2-1 win at Sunderland.

We played Coventry in a night match a few days later and stayed up with a 0-0 draw. Was anyone at that? Was there a minute's silence or anything?

It's not there anymore, but YouTube had a lovely video from late 2007 of the first game since the disaster between Bradford and Lincoln at Valley Parade. The two sides coming on to silence from the crowd, with You'll Never Walk Alone playing over the PA.

I definitely remember a minutes silence for Bradford. We played them in the cup the next season. Think the replay was at Leeds Road, Huddersfield after a crazy 4 all draw.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 10:44 - May 12 with 2590 viewsLord_Lucan

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 21:56 - May 11 by gainsboroughblue

I definitely remember a minutes silence for Bradford. We played them in the cup the next season. Think the replay was at Leeds Road, Huddersfield after a crazy 4 all draw.

Leeds played Bradford I think the next season and set fire to a burger kiosk in the ground.

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 11:16 - May 12 with 2559 viewsITFC_Forever

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 21:46 - May 11 by patrickswell

Yes, we were in the Stacey-West stand at Sincil Bank.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 11:25 - May 12 with 2545 viewsLord_Lucan

What always gets me from pics and from the video is the complete lack of panic.

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 11:41 - May 12 with 2509 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Have I missed the 'RIP to the 56 in Bradford disaster' post today? (n/t) on 19:42 - May 11 by Swansea_Blue

I wouldn't have thought there's anything to burn in modern grounds. It's all concrete and steel.

A mate at Uni was studying Building surveying or structural engineering (something like that anyway) and one of his assignments covered the Valley Parade fire.. He showed me the footage and I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Apparently the old timber structure, coupled with the years and years worth of rubbish that had fell through the wooden floor turned it into a perfect storm, as when a cigarette was dropped through the whole thing went up from end to end to there was no obvious route except the pitch when the realization sank in.

Thankfully modern stadia designs have learnt lessions from this disaster and should avoid tragedies like these ever happening again.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024