Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Car people. Diagnosis question 18:04 - May 12 with 8167 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I was driving home down the A14 earlier and my accelerator stopped working. I have a Mark 7 VW Golf 1.6 Bluemotion. I was doing about 70 (obviously) and it suddenly started to slow down slightly. No warning lights on the dashboard or any warning sounds. No response from the accelerator pedal. Changed down to 3rd at the dock roundabout traffic lights and then I was able to pull away again and speed up although it still felt a lot 'slower' than usual.

Yes I've googled it but couldn't find anything. Any ideas?

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

on 18:07 - May 12 with 2691 views_

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:07 - May 12 with 2691 viewsnoggin

Gearbox fooked? I had a Golf in the 90s and lost 5th gear completely on the motorway. Needed a new gearbox.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:08 - May 12 with 2689 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Ok I've googled it properly now and there are a few posts reporting similar problems. No idea what the problem will be with mine though as I know absolutely feck all about cars.

Anyone had anything similar?

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:10 - May 12 with 2676 viewsThisIsMyUsername

on 18:07 - May 12 by _

Technically yes as I stopped off at the shop on the way home and it was alright afterwards.

I definitely thought it was fooked though when I was on the A14 and that I was going to have a proper breakdown.

on 18:10 - May 12 with 2671 views_

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:08 - May 12 by ThisIsMyUsername

Ok I've googled it properly now and there are a few posts reporting similar problems. No idea what the problem will be with mine though as I know absolutely feck all about cars.

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:11 - May 12 with 2667 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:07 - May 12 by noggin

Gearbox fooked? I had a Golf in the 90s and lost 5th gear completely on the motorway. Needed a new gearbox.

Hmmm hope not as that sounds expensive. I got back up to 5th though after the traffic lights...

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:11 - May 12 with 2660 viewseireblue

`The warning light for whatever is broken also isn't working.

Head gasket leak, maybe a spark plug failing could be explanations for loss of power.
Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:12 - May 12 with 2656 viewsnoggin

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:11 - May 12 by ThisIsMyUsername

Hmmm hope not as that sounds expensive. I got back up to 5th though after the traffic lights...

Probably not then. I lost 5th completely but the other gears were ok.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Login to get fewer ads

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:13 - May 12 with 2643 viewsThisIsMyUsername

on 18:10 - May 12 by _

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:15 - May 12 with 2630 viewsconnorscontract

Stupid question, maybe, but have you got any sort of cruise control or seed limiter system on it?

If so, you may not have realised that it was still set at 70 from an earlier trip, or it may be an error with that system.

Or it could be spark plugs. It's usually spark plugs. Or injection system.
Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:17 - May 12 with 2619 viewsjeera

From that description it sounds a bit like the thingimijiggy.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:18 - May 12 with 2616 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:15 - May 12 by connorscontract

Stupid question, maybe, but have you got any sort of cruise control or seed limiter system on it?

If so, you may not have realised that it was still set at 70 from an earlier trip, or it may be an error with that system.

Or it could be spark plugs. It's usually spark plugs. Or injection system.

I guess you mean speed limiter? Don't have one of those.

It does have cruise control but I've never touched it.

2 votes already for spark plugs...

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:19 - May 12 with 2615 viewsCotton_eyed_joe

get it plugged into a computer. I bought a £26 vw scanner from ebay for my missus beetle. Sounds like the engine is in limp mode. That will stop the engine revving to hard and doing more damage. Might be a sensor fault.
Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:19 - May 12 with 2613 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:17 - May 12 by jeera

From that description it sounds a bit like the thingimijiggy.

I thought it could have been the thingimijiggy but then I wondered if it was in fact the watchamacallit...

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:24 - May 12 with 2587 viewsconnorscontract

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:18 - May 12 by ThisIsMyUsername

I guess you mean speed limiter? Don't have one of those.

It does have cruise control but I've never touched it.

2 votes already for spark plugs...

Nah- seed limiter: heated seats, lower the sperm count. Definitely what I meant...

Even if you've never used cruise control it *could* be an error on that system, but loss of power on an already warm engine makes spark plugs or injection system more likely.

I had it happen with a Renault Scenic and it was the injectors: apparently a known fault but hadn't reached the thresh-hold for a recall letter. I lost power on a motorway with my family in the car, it was dodgy moving across whilst effectively decelerating, but I was lucky that a junction was close enough to to cruise to and get off the motorway.

But you must get it checked asap as it could have fatal consequences at speed.
Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:26 - May 12 with 2558 viewsjeera

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:19 - May 12 by Cotton_eyed_joe

get it plugged into a computer. I bought a £26 vw scanner from ebay for my missus beetle. Sounds like the engine is in limp mode. That will stop the engine revving to hard and doing more damage. Might be a sensor fault.

It does sound like the engine management kicked in doesn't it?

I assumed our Jono there would have spotted the bright yellow engine shaped indication light though.

I could be very wrong.

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:26 - May 12 with 2553 viewsconnorscontract

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:19 - May 12 by Cotton_eyed_joe

But going along in top gear at 70 in a 1.6 wouldn't over-stress the engine- shouldn't be too far off optimum revs.
Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:28 - May 12 with 2543 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Chances are it will involve a sensor, computer and a very expensive dealership repair......get a proper old car without a computer in it !

#luddite
[Post edited 12 May 2017 18:28]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:28 - May 12 with 2537 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:24 - May 12 by connorscontract

Nah- seed limiter: heated seats, lower the sperm count. Definitely what I meant...

Even if you've never used cruise control it *could* be an error on that system, but loss of power on an already warm engine makes spark plugs or injection system more likely.

I had it happen with a Renault Scenic and it was the injectors: apparently a known fault but hadn't reached the thresh-hold for a recall letter. I lost power on a motorway with my family in the car, it was dodgy moving across whilst effectively decelerating, but I was lucky that a junction was close enough to to cruise to and get off the motorway.

But you must get it checked asap as it could have fatal consequences at speed.

Will definitely get it checked out ASAP. Cheers.

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:29 - May 12 with 2531 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:26 - May 12 by jeera

It does sound like the engine management kicked in doesn't it?

I assumed our Jono there would have spotted the bright yellow engine shaped indication light though.

I could be very wrong.

Even I had the presence of mind to look for a warning light!

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:29 - May 12 with 2526 viewsjeera

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:29 - May 12 by ThisIsMyUsername

Even I had the presence of mind to look for a warning light!

I had faith in you.

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:34 - May 12 with 2515 viewssilkcutblue

May have a bit of crap in the system get a bottle of cataclean from Halfords about £15 to a quarter a tank of petrol or diesel drive for 20mins then fuel up as normal wonderfull stuff
Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:37 - May 12 with 2490 viewsMJallday

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:08 - May 12 by ThisIsMyUsername

yes, on my old fabia vrs (which shared the much of the same kit as the golf gti)

basically it was the clutch / throttle enumerator. basically the ecu

its supposed to give a calculation (to know how much petrol to put in the engine) but it failed, so it either cut accellaration, or added it .

replaced ecu, job done

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Car people. Diagnosis question on 19:02 - May 12 with 2432 viewsbrogansnose

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:34 - May 12 by silkcutblue

May have a bit of crap in the system get a bottle of cataclean from Halfords about £15 to a quarter a tank of petrol or diesel drive for 20mins then fuel up as normal wonderfull stuff

This would be my vote too. Could well be crap in the fuel line especially if it worked ok after stopping.
Car people. Diagnosis question on 19:07 - May 12 with 2414 viewsCoco

Sounds like you went into lump mode. Does the car have a turbo? Or could be fuel pump/injectors.

Best take it to someone who knows about cars n stuff

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024