Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Car people. Diagnosis question 18:04 - May 12 with 8162 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I was driving home down the A14 earlier and my accelerator stopped working. I have a Mark 7 VW Golf 1.6 Bluemotion. I was doing about 70 (obviously) and it suddenly started to slow down slightly. No warning lights on the dashboard or any warning sounds. No response from the accelerator pedal. Changed down to 3rd at the dock roundabout traffic lights and then I was able to pull away again and speed up although it still felt a lot 'slower' than usual.

Yes I've googled it but couldn't find anything. Any ideas?

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Car people. Diagnosis question on 19:09 - May 12 with 4490 viewsColin_Viljoen

You need to get the codes read, the ecu stores any fault codes so that they can be read at a later date. I agree that the car went into limp home mode because it detected a fault & reduced engine power.
It won't cost much for somebody to read the codes, you can then look up what the codes refer to, wiki has lots of them listed!
Car people. Diagnosis question on 19:14 - May 12 with 4482 viewsjas0999

A sensor playing up?
Car people. Diagnosis question on 19:16 - May 12 with 4477 viewsBlueBadger

Car people. Diagnosis question on 19:14 - May 12 by jas0999

A sensor playing up?

Senser, you say?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Car people. Diagnosis question on 19:16 - May 12 with 4477 viewsartsbossbeard

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:08 - May 12 by ThisIsMyUsername

Ok I've googled it properly now and there are a few posts reporting similar problems. No idea what the problem will be with mine though as I know absolutely feck all about cars.

Anyone had anything similar?

My mate had the same with his Golf.

It was a sensor that was acting up - needs to go one of those machine things to properly diagnose.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Car people. Diagnosis question on 19:21 - May 12 with 4467 viewsjas0999

Car people. Diagnosis question on 19:16 - May 12 by artsbossbeard

It was a sensor that was acting up - needs to go one of those machine things to properly diagnose.

Had similar on an 53 plate golf. Engine shuts down for safety reasons. Think it was an oxygen sensor?
Car people. Diagnosis question on 19:21 - May 12 with 4461 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Car people. Diagnosis question on 19:16 - May 12 by artsbossbeard

I assume any garage will be able to do that?

Car people. Diagnosis question on 19:22 - May 12 with 4458 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Car people. Diagnosis question on 19:07 - May 12 by Coco

Sounds like you went into lump mode. Does the car have a turbo? Or could be fuel pump/injectors.

Best take it to someone who knows about cars n stuff

Yeah it does have a turbo.

Trip to the garage and a professional opinion for sure...

Car people. Diagnosis question on 19:23 - May 12 with 4454 viewsjas0999

Car people. Diagnosis question on 19:21 - May 12 by ThisIsMyUsername

Fairly standard.
Login to get fewer ads

Car people. Diagnosis question on 19:23 - May 12 with 4454 viewsartsbossbeard

I'd presume so but not 100% sure

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Car people. Diagnosis question on 23:50 - May 12 with 4394 viewsNewcyBlue

Yes pretty much every garage should be able to do this.

If your engine management light didn't come on, then it probably didn't recognise that it went into limp mode.

Fly by wire throttle, so probably the potentiometer would be my guess. Other sensors around the engine such as crank position, cam position, would most likely bring it to a complete halt.

Wheel speed sensors would bring up an ABS fault / ESP fault.

So I will go with potentiometer or possibly temperature sensor. Although that would give you a warning light also.

Good luck.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Car people. Diagnosis question on 00:29 - May 13 with 4380 viewsThrobbe

Car people. Diagnosis question on 19:16 - May 12 by BlueBadger

Senser, you say?

Noice. Saw them earlier this year, they've still got it. Playing the 100 Club with Back 2 The Planet in September.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Car people. Diagnosis question on 00:29 - May 13 with 4379 viewsRamRob

Had similar happen to me in a renault, changed a headlamp bulb that was out and solved the problem.

Stupid electronics

Poll: What should be the music when opposition score?

Car people. Diagnosis question on 07:13 - May 13 with 4342 viewsbluelagos

Aside from the accelerator, was everything else ok? Electrics all spot on?

My Cortina used to cut out as you slowed down for a roundabout and with a dropped gear, raised clutch I could bump start it as entering the roundabout.

Not a very safe way of driving and eventually got it diagnosed as a faulty alternator.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Car people. Diagnosis question on 07:39 - May 13 with 4332 viewsstickymockwell

I had the same problem with my Talbot Horizon. I was just cruising at 70 and then it stopped working. Turns out the engine blew up!

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

Car people. Diagnosis question on 08:38 - May 14 with 4247 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Car people. Diagnosis question on 23:50 - May 12 by NewcyBlue

Yes pretty much every garage should be able to do this.

If your engine management light didn't come on, then it probably didn't recognise that it went into limp mode.

Fly by wire throttle, so probably the potentiometer would be my guess. Other sensors around the engine such as crank position, cam position, would most likely bring it to a complete halt.

Wheel speed sensors would bring up an ABS fault / ESP fault.

So I will go with potentiometer or possibly temperature sensor. Although that would give you a warning light also.

Good luck.

Went for a drive yesterday and it was doing it again when I got to about 70. This time the engine management light was also on....

Car people. Diagnosis question on 08:39 - May 14 with 4245 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Car people. Diagnosis question on 07:13 - May 13 by bluelagos

Aside from the accelerator, was everything else ok? Electrics all spot on?

My Cortina used to cut out as you slowed down for a roundabout and with a dropped gear, raised clutch I could bump start it as entering the roundabout.

Not a very safe way of driving and eventually got it diagnosed as a faulty alternator.

See above. The electrics are OK as far as I'm aware.

Going to take it to the garage tomorrow...

Car people. Diagnosis question on 09:10 - May 14 with 4226 viewsTIB

Car people. Diagnosis question on 08:39 - May 14 by ThisIsMyUsername

See above. The electrics are OK as far as I'm aware.

Going to take it to the garage tomorrow...

Get it in for a diagnostics test as it sounds like a sensor issue somewhere. I'm taking my Polo GTi out later for a spin as I'm convinced the turbo is playing up...or it could be my mind as I read about turbo issues on the model

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Car people. Diagnosis question on 09:19 - May 14 with 4219 viewshoppy

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:19 - May 12 by ThisIsMyUsername

I thought it could have been the thingimijiggy but then I wondered if it was in fact the watchamacallit...

I don't think you can completely rule out that it's not the ooojamaflip though...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Car people. Diagnosis question on 09:21 - May 14 with 4214 viewshoppy

Car people. Diagnosis question on 18:19 - May 12 by Cotton_eyed_joe

get it plugged into a computer. I bought a £26 vw scanner from ebay for my missus beetle. Sounds like the engine is in limp mode. That will stop the engine revving to hard and doing more damage. Might be a sensor fault.

I hate it when that happens.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Car people. Diagnosis question on 09:28 - May 14 with 4199 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Had similar in BMW although that brought up an error on the screen and told me it was reducing power. It felt incredibly slow like i was even applying power. I did turn off and on again(funnily enough) and all fine until it did it again next day. It was actually a software (sensor issue) for something i.e thinking something was wrong when it wasnt and reducing all power. Was about £400 but BMW paid.

So could be mechanical, could be software.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Car people. Diagnosis question on 09:56 - May 14 with 4181 viewsartsbossbeard

Car people. Diagnosis question on 09:28 - May 14 by Terry_Nutkins

Had similar in BMW although that brought up an error on the screen and told me it was reducing power. It felt incredibly slow like i was even applying power. I did turn off and on again(funnily enough) and all fine until it did it again next day. It was actually a software (sensor issue) for something i.e thinking something was wrong when it wasnt and reducing all power. Was about £400 but BMW paid.

So could be mechanical, could be software.

Mechanical or software? That's that narrowed down, then.

Car people. Diagnosis question on 10:04 - May 14 with 4176 viewsNewcyBlue

Car people. Diagnosis question on 08:38 - May 14 by ThisIsMyUsername

Went for a drive yesterday and it was doing it again when I got to about 70. This time the engine management light was also on....

With the Engine Management light on they will be able to tell you exactly what it is.

Could also be a Lambda sensor, which senses exhaust gases.

Could be many many sensors.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Car people. Diagnosis question on 10:22 - May 14 with 4164 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Car people. Diagnosis question on 10:04 - May 14 by NewcyBlue

With the Engine Management light on they will be able to tell you exactly what it is.

Could also be a Lambda sensor, which senses exhaust gases.

Could be many many sensors.

Going to phone them tomorrow morning to get it booked in.

Will update the thread with what the answer is!

Car people. Diagnosis question on 09:56 - May 25 with 4046 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I wasn't able to get it in to the garage until yesterday but I've just picked it up and the verdict is in...

The wiring terminal for the auxiliary coolant pump had worked itself loose and the pump had stopped working.

So there we are. Mystery solved.

Car people. Diagnosis question on 10:03 - May 25 with 4032 viewsSwansea_Blue

Car people. Diagnosis question on 09:56 - May 25 by ThisIsMyUsername

I wasn't able to get it in to the garage until yesterday but I've just picked it up and the verdict is in...

The wiring terminal for the auxiliary coolant pump had worked itself loose and the pump had stopped working.

So there we are. Mystery solved.

Yeah, I thought it would be that.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024