Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bolton playoff 2-2 12:21 - May 15 with 5540 viewstextbackup

What I wanna know, is when Matt holland done his knee up then kick up, did he think, 'I'll put that infront of Stewart and he can shoot'
Or did he just simply think he was passing it to him?!

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 12:28 - May 15 with 5467 viewsbluewein

Just a pass methinks.

I don't think anyone expected Stewart to just turn and smash it like he did.

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 12:31 - May 15 with 5457 viewstextbackup

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 12:28 - May 15 by bluewein

Just a pass methinks.

I don't think anyone expected Stewart to just turn and smash it like he did.

Watched that goal a million times, and he looks up 2/3 times to (I think) see where the keeper is.
Had the ball been along the floor I wonder if he'd have shot of was it purely the half volley that made him think SMACK

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 12:45 - May 15 with 5409 viewsGeoffSentence

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 12:31 - May 15 by textbackup

Watched that goal a million times, and he looks up 2/3 times to (I think) see where the keeper is.
Had the ball been along the floor I wonder if he'd have shot of was it purely the half volley that made him think SMACK

The lovely thing about that goal is that Marcus Stewart pointed to exactly where he wanted the ball, and Holland put it right there, MS didn't bother to look up from there he just banged it right into the top corner.

Matty Holland might not have known what he was going to do but I have no doubt that Stewart knew exactly what he was doing.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 12:49 - May 15 with 5386 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 12:31 - May 15 by textbackup

That goal completely turned the tie. We'd been hopeless for the first half an hour, Johnson got injured, Mowbray got injured, Thetis was all over the shop and Gudjonsson was tearing us apart.

After that, apart from a Thetis cóck up before half time and a good chance for Bolton straight after half time we dominated. Should have won the game in the end, remember Reuser having a majestic second half.

The two Stewart goals are as good as you'll get. I remember the groans when he took it around the keeper for the second, we were expecting him to score into the empty net. Instead he switched back so he could strike it with his left foot...bang...2-2.

Similar to his goal at Barnsley on his debut.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 12:53 - May 15 with 5367 viewsTJS

I remember saying to the guy standing next to me that I didn't think we'd get anything else out of Stewart that season about 30 seconds before he whacked that one in.
Never been so pleased to be wrong !
Bolton playoff 2-2 on 14:20 - May 15 with 5271 viewsBelsteadCav

Holland was just playing him in, Stewart knew exactly what he was going to do.

For me, the second goal is the better one. When he finally puts it in, there's 5 Bolton players standing there in utter disbelief!

King of the board since 98
Poll: Updated Poll . What would you rather win as a Sportsman

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 14:24 - May 15 with 5239 viewsartsbossbeard

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 14:20 - May 15 by BelsteadCav

Holland was just playing him in, Stewart knew exactly what he was going to do.

For me, the second goal is the better one. When he finally puts it in, there's 5 Bolton players standing there in utter disbelief!

How he never got a call up in his time with Town is a complete travesty.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 14:27 - May 15 with 5233 viewsbluewein

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 14:24 - May 15 by artsbossbeard

How he never got a call up in his time with Town is a complete travesty.

And yet they couldn't wait to call up Michael Ricketts...

Login to get fewer ads

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 14:46 - May 15 with 5191 viewsN2_Blue

Still gives me goosebumps watching his 2 goals in this game 17 years later! His 2nd is one of my favourite town goals ever...definitely the better goal imo, only players with incredible skill and composure can score a goal like this in a game of such pressure...many can hit a volley like his first which although skillful always has an element of fortune needed as well.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 14:52 - May 15 with 5160 viewsbluewein

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 12:45 - May 15 by GeoffSentence

The lovely thing about that goal is that Marcus Stewart pointed to exactly where he wanted the ball, and Holland put it right there, MS didn't bother to look up from there he just banged it right into the top corner.

Matty Holland might not have known what he was going to do but I have no doubt that Stewart knew exactly what he was doing.

I've lost count of how many times I've seen that goal, and I've never noticed that little point by Stewart until now.

I'm now happy to retract that it was just a pass.

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 14:54 - May 15 with 5144 viewsSomethingBlue

That goal came from absolutely nowhere — if he hadn't done it then I've no doubt we'd have lost the tie. We were all over the place and key players had gone off. I could watch both of those strikes all day, particularly the second; the notable thing for both though is just how much space we were given by Bolton.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 14:58 - May 15 with 5121 viewsLightningboy

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 14:52 - May 15 by bluewein

I've lost count of how many times I've seen that goal, and I've never noticed that little point by Stewart until now.

I'm now happy to retract that it was just a pass.

God,how I miss those times 😞
Bolton playoff 2-2 on 15:01 - May 15 with 5105 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 14:58 - May 15 by Lightningboy

God,how I miss those times 😞

Yep, cracking day up in Bolton that was. And of course the return leg was just one of those atmospheres that if you're lucky you get a few times in a lifetime.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 16:37 - May 15 with 5023 viewsgainsboroughblue

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 15:01 - May 15 by Swansea_Blue

Yep, cracking day up in Bolton that was. And of course the return leg was just one of those atmospheres that if you're lucky you get a few times in a lifetime.

I was in the Portman (Cobbold) stand that night for some reason. I was a top of 'executive box' celebrator. I also got through a packet and a half of fags that night, then rather disappointingly couldn't find anywhere open for a beer after.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 17:38 - May 15 with 4929 viewstextbackup

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 16:37 - May 15 by gainsboroughblue

I was in the Portman (Cobbold) stand that night for some reason. I was a top of 'executive box' celebrator. I also got through a packet and a half of fags that night, then rather disappointingly couldn't find anywhere open for a beer after.

Were you up there with the stoke park lot?

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 18:06 - May 15 with 4892 viewsLord_Lucan

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 12:49 - May 15 by The_Last_Baron

That goal completely turned the tie. We'd been hopeless for the first half an hour, Johnson got injured, Mowbray got injured, Thetis was all over the shop and Gudjonsson was tearing us apart.

After that, apart from a Thetis cóck up before half time and a good chance for Bolton straight after half time we dominated. Should have won the game in the end, remember Reuser having a majestic second half.

The two Stewart goals are as good as you'll get. I remember the groans when he took it around the keeper for the second, we were expecting him to score into the empty net. Instead he switched back so he could strike it with his left foot...bang...2-2.

Similar to his goal at Barnsley on his debut.

If Johnson hadn't got injured we wouldn't have got back in it. Johnson was great but him and Stewart were totally incompatible on the pitch.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 20:31 - May 15 with 4776 viewsgainsboroughblue

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 17:38 - May 15 by textbackup

Were you up there with the stoke park lot?

My seat was at the back but I walked down to the front on 90 mins all miserable as we were behind on aggregate, and chatted to some pi$$sed up mates from the Needham/Stow areas. We were discussing which pub to drown our sorrows in then Jim popped up in the penalty area and we all know what happened. The most incredible night of my Town supporting life.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 20:36 - May 15 with 4757 viewsPJH

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 15:01 - May 15 by Swansea_Blue

For the tension and the numerous changes in emotion that 5-3 game has to be at the top of all the ITFC games that I have seen in all the years that I have followed our club.
The atmosphere has been matched a few times but that 120 minutes as a whole was incredible.
Bolton playoff 2-2 on 21:13 - May 15 with 4696 viewssolemio

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 18:06 - May 15 by Lord_Lucan

If Johnson hadn't got injured we wouldn't have got back in it. Johnson was great but him and Stewart were totally incompatible on the pitch.

Sadly that's right. They made all the same runs.

Incidentally, nice to see Dale with George. I'm not sure many people realise how important his role as George's No 2 was.
[Post edited 15 May 2017 21:19]
Bolton playoff 2-2 on 21:21 - May 15 with 4676 viewsLord_Lucan

Bolton playoff 2-2 on 21:13 - May 15 by solemio

Sadly that's right. They made all the same runs.

Incidentally, nice to see Dale with George. I'm not sure many people realise how important his role as George's No 2 was.
[Post edited 15 May 2017 21:19]

George fell apart when Dale dies, in so many ways.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024