Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East 12:05 - May 16 with 3777 viewsunbelievablue

Labour: she won last time around with a huge 33% majority. I was not particularly impressed by her, especially with her responses on mental health issues both locally and nationally. Her unwillingness to discuss Jeremy Corbyn whatsoever was frustrating, and I thought she had an air of arrogance which was particularly unbecoming.

Lib Dem: she is a very impressive woman, and someone whom I feel I could trust. She ran the equality for mental health campaign a few years back so she immediately had my attention when I noticed she was being put forward. I am unconvinced by her knowledge of broader politics, though she aligns closely with my views on the EU.

I have attempted to speak with the Conservative candidate, but had no luck whatsoever.

I have a meeting with the Green candidate next week, with all to play for.

I won't bother talking to the UKIP candidate, as I despise her politics: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/27/ukip-anne-marie-waters-islam-pe

Labour will win the seat, whatever happens, with or without my vote.
[Post edited 16 May 2017 12:12]

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 13:36 - May 16 with 2493 viewsThe_Last_Baron

I made it half way through the second paragraph before becoming very bored. A waste of a post. Just vote Lib Dems and feel good about yourself. Then watch the blue train of romp home. That'll be the Brexiteers at work.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 13:57 - May 16 with 2467 viewsunbelievablue

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 13:36 - May 16 by The_Last_Baron

I made it half way through the second paragraph before becoming very bored. A waste of a post. Just vote Lib Dems and feel good about yourself. Then watch the blue train of romp home. That'll be the Brexiteers at work.

Not sure what you're getting at there to be honest.

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 14:08 - May 16 with 2449 viewsjpr_23

I'm surprised by that. Heidi Alexander is really good on health and was doing really well as the Shadow Health Minister until all of the Labour frontbench resigned. What was she saying about mental health that you didn't like?

Blog: Why We Need a New Five-Year Plan

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 14:10 - May 16 with 2445 viewsunbelievablue

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 14:08 - May 16 by jpr_23

I'm surprised by that. Heidi Alexander is really good on health and was doing really well as the Shadow Health Minister until all of the Labour frontbench resigned. What was she saying about mental health that you didn't like?

The conversation was in confidence and off the record as such so I won't go into detail, but suffice to say I did not feel that her understanding of local issues was as complete as I had expected.

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:10 - May 16 with 2445 viewsJ2BLUE

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 14:32 - May 16 with 2417 viewsitfcjoe

I wish I could be bothered to speak to mine - but I live in a sh*t constitiuency where the residents of Whitton are bunched in with those of Framlingham.

Conservative MP - With a 20k, 38% majority just phones it in

Labour - A councillor from Hounslow bussed in, in 2015 election it was a 23 year old who lived at home with his Mum and Dad

Lib Dem - A councillor from Cambridge bussed in, never heard of him despite being a member and them sending me what feels like 10 e-mails a day

Green - One policy party round here with regards to Sizewell

UKIP

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 14:35 - May 16 with 2403 viewsunbelievablue

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 14:32 - May 16 by itfcjoe

I wish I could be bothered to speak to mine - but I live in a sh*t constitiuency where the residents of Whitton are bunched in with those of Framlingham.

Labour - A councillor from Hounslow bussed in, in 2015 election it was a 23 year old who lived at home with his Mum and Dad

Lib Dem - A councillor from Cambridge bussed in, never heard of him despite being a member and them sending me what feels like 10 e-mails a day

UKIP

Ha, that isn't an appealing landscape I'll admit.

If I get really cheesed off with everything I might vote for this bloke:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/may/08/millwall-candidate-willow-winst

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:36 - May 16 with 2401 viewsunbelievablue

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:10 - May 16 by J2BLUE

Empty reply?

Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:39 - May 16 with 2392 viewsJ2BLUE

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:36 - May 16 by unbelievablue

Empty reply?

Internet cut out. I tried to edit and the same thing happened. Here goes attempt 3...

I think we should push Labour to give us PR while they are seemingly open to anything. It's crap having a vote and having it wasted. Our system is ridiculous and PR would be so much fairer. I've never heard a good argument against it. We have Tories and Labour voters saying it wouldn't work but that's a load of crap. I didn't read the story but I saw an article the other day saying the Conservatives were the only ones now opposed to PR. I'm not sure that's true but we should be demanding it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 14:42 - May 16 with 2381 viewsitfcjoe

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 14:35 - May 16 by unbelievablue

Ha, that isn't an appealing landscape I'll admit.

If I get really cheesed off with everything I might vote for this bloke:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/may/08/millwall-candidate-willow-winst

She sounds fascinating, much more so than the other rubbish!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:45 - May 16 with 2376 viewsunbelievablue

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:39 - May 16 by J2BLUE

Internet cut out. I tried to edit and the same thing happened. Here goes attempt 3...

I think we should push Labour to give us PR while they are seemingly open to anything. It's crap having a vote and having it wasted. Our system is ridiculous and PR would be so much fairer. I've never heard a good argument against it. We have Tories and Labour voters saying it wouldn't work but that's a load of crap. I didn't read the story but I saw an article the other day saying the Conservatives were the only ones now opposed to PR. I'm not sure that's true but we should be demanding it.

Yeah, FPTP is ridiculous.

I think Alexander will win the seat, but I am interested to see how much a few issues eat into her majority:

1. New Den development saga. Labour took a serious hiding in the local press and among 'Wall fans.
2. UKIP voters flocking back to Tory? 7.2% upwards swing last time round which will surely be wiped out now.
3. Lib Dem revival? They were second overall in 2010 and suffered a negative 22% swing in 2015.

I'm predicting something like a 14% majority rather than the 33% last time out.

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 14:47 - May 16 with 2362 viewsPrideOfTheEast

I'm impressed they meet with people. Was it 1-1?

My ignorance completely but what scope would a local MP have to dictate national policy on mental health?
I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 14:53 - May 16 with 2344 viewsunbelievablue

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 14:47 - May 16 by PrideOfTheEast

I'm impressed they meet with people. Was it 1-1?

My ignorance completely but what scope would a local MP have to dictate national policy on mental health?

Over the phone.

The local bit is more important and I chucked in the national bit as an aside but things can still be done. Nationally it's almost exclusively lobbying, whether that be parliamentary colleagues (health minister the obvious example), discussing local examples in the commons, joining national charity campaigns, joining or setting up nationally recognised policy units or trusts (e.g. as the Lib Dem candidate Emily Frith has done) etc.

In any case, my interest in her thoughts on wider government policy are mainly a yardstick for whether I'd like her to represent me in the commons. I'm not expecting miracles.

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:55 - May 16 with 2326 viewsGlasgowBlue

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:45 - May 16 by unbelievablue

Yeah, FPTP is ridiculous.

I think Alexander will win the seat, but I am interested to see how much a few issues eat into her majority:

1. New Den development saga. Labour took a serious hiding in the local press and among 'Wall fans.
2. UKIP voters flocking back to Tory? 7.2% upwards swing last time round which will surely be wiped out now.
3. Lib Dem revival? They were second overall in 2010 and suffered a negative 22% swing in 2015.

I'm predicting something like a 14% majority rather than the 33% last time out.

Electoral Calculus are predicting a Labour majority of 22% this time aground.

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/seatdetails.py?seat=Lewisham%20East

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

(No subject) (n/t) on 15:08 - May 16 with 2303 viewsunbelievablue

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:55 - May 16 by GlasgowBlue

Electoral Calculus are predicting a Labour majority of 22% this time aground.

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/seatdetails.py?seat=Lewisham%20East

What do I know, eh?

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 15:10 - May 16 with 2302 viewsSwansea_Blue

Our Labour candidate is invisible. Not literally I'd imagine, although I don't know as although we've had a name there is no information about her anywhere on line that I can find other than a text listing on Labour's website. She may well be invisible in that case for all I'd know.

So not a good start from Labour in the constituency where the only lost out by 14 votes last time (they got 37%).

The standing Tory MP (37.1%) is the opposite. He's very much a self-publicist, so we know all about him although not so much about his policies. As far as I can tell his main aim is to oppose anything the local Labour council does; I'm not sure if there's anything he stands for in his own right. But the farmers put up lots of big banners for him.

UKIP (11.2%) were next last time, but hopefully they'll disappear up their own orifices (they went back to Tory in the council elections recently). So that's probably the Tories well ahead if their share is again inflated by kippers.

Plaind (7%) and LD (3.6%) and Greens (2.7%) brought up the rear last time, and I'd expect similar again.

Shocking result for the LD's last time.

And we've got a Pirate standing in the constituency this time!

Haven't spoken to any of them and I doubt I will tbh.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 15:11 - May 16 with 2300 viewsunbelievablue

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 15:10 - May 16 by Swansea_Blue

Our Labour candidate is invisible. Not literally I'd imagine, although I don't know as although we've had a name there is no information about her anywhere on line that I can find other than a text listing on Labour's website. She may well be invisible in that case for all I'd know.

So not a good start from Labour in the constituency where the only lost out by 14 votes last time (they got 37%).

The standing Tory MP (37.1%) is the opposite. He's very much a self-publicist, so we know all about him although not so much about his policies. As far as I can tell his main aim is to oppose anything the local Labour council does; I'm not sure if there's anything he stands for in his own right. But the farmers put up lots of big banners for him.

UKIP (11.2%) were next last time, but hopefully they'll disappear up their own orifices (they went back to Tory in the council elections recently). So that's probably the Tories well ahead if their share is again inflated by kippers.

Plaind (7%) and LD (3.6%) and Greens (2.7%) brought up the rear last time, and I'd expect similar again.

Shocking result for the LD's last time.

And we've got a Pirate standing in the constituency this time!

Haven't spoken to any of them and I doubt I will tbh.

Vote pirate.

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 16:24 - May 16 with 2245 viewsCoastalblue

Huge Labour majority of 17K in my ward, might get interesting though as we have an independent standing who is very much dressed in Labour's cloth, but is intent on calling out the lack of local work the standing incumbent manages to dirty his hands with.
It does actually get quite interseting here with corruption and fraud featuring recently, and banned people attempting to stand once more.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 16:30 - May 16 with 2235 viewsGlasgowBlue

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 16:24 - May 16 by Coastalblue

Huge Labour majority of 17K in my ward, might get interesting though as we have an independent standing who is very much dressed in Labour's cloth, but is intent on calling out the lack of local work the standing incumbent manages to dirty his hands with.
It does actually get quite interseting here with corruption and fraud featuring recently, and banned people attempting to stand once more.

Do you live in Bradford?

Iron Lion Zion

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 16:36 - May 16 with 2226 viewsArcher4721

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 14:32 - May 16 by itfcjoe

UKIP

Driving around Ipswich all I see are Vote Labour signs everywhere. I haven't yet seen one Tory sign. Have you?
I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 16:37 - May 16 with 2223 viewsGlasgowBlue

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 16:36 - May 16 by Archer4721

Driving around Ipswich all I see are Vote Labour signs everywhere. I haven't yet seen one Tory sign. Have you?

Maybe all of those volcanoes in Suffolk are blocking your view?

Iron Lion Zion

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 16:39 - May 16 with 2218 viewsSwansea_Blue

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 15:11 - May 16 by unbelievablue

Vote pirate.

I'm thinking of getting the costume at least.

Ah ha me hearties

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 16:55 - May 16 with 2203 viewsCoastalblue

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 16:30 - May 16 by GlasgowBlue

Do you live in Bradford?

Nope, central London.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tower-hamlets-mayor-lutfur-rahman-

The luvverly fella in the article linked is actually out campaigning with one of the candidates.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 17:16 - May 16 with 2182 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 16:36 - May 16 by Archer4721

Was going to put up a Tory poster but Mrs Pinewood as an avid leftie threatened to wipe her a#se on it. Typical. Will have to put it in my white van now then. Hope you get to see it. Come on the blues.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 17:18 - May 16 with 2174 viewsArcher4721

I've now managed to speak to 2 of the 5 candidates for Lewisham East on 17:16 - May 16 by StochesStotasBlewe

Was going to put up a Tory poster but Mrs Pinewood as an avid leftie threatened to wipe her a#se on it. Typical. Will have to put it in my white van now then. Hope you get to see it. Come on the blues.

Pinewood isn't Ipswich is it?

As for white van man and and the tories...good luck with that!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3386621/tories-ready-to-hit-white-van-man-with-tax
[Post edited 16 May 2017 17:24]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024