Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? 10:08 - May 17 with 4777 viewsSteve_M

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/fears-raised-after-greggs-launch-two-new-ipswich-stor

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 10:10 - May 17 with 3287 viewsMJallday

price, quantity, ease of access, speed of service?

probably not for the quality of food though.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 10:10 - May 17 with 3287 viewsRadlett_blue

Convenience?
Brand?
Perception of value?
Range of goods on offer?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 10:13 - May 17 with 3279 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Because Greggs do a triple chocolate cookie for 65p and so you can buy two of them plus a Orange Lucosade in there for less than £2.50?

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 10:16 - May 17 with 3261 viewsSarge

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 10:10 - May 17 by MJallday

price, quantity, ease of access, speed of service?

probably not for the quality of food though.

You can get all that at the local bakery though. And it will have been made there by hand not by a robot in a factory the night before.
Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 10:18 - May 17 with 3255 viewsBent_double

Maybe because there are no local bakeries, as Greggs have opened up a store (or two) in town and forced them out of business.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 10:22 - May 17 with 3232 viewshype313

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 10:18 - May 17 by Bent_double

Maybe because there are no local bakeries, as Greggs have opened up a store (or two) in town and forced them out of business.

There are, that's the whole point, they have opened up within 50 yards of the two in question.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 10:29 - May 17 with 3218 viewsITFC_Forever

Me and my daughter have been monitoring this for months now.... she goes to school near the Woodbridge Rd site and looks to see how many are in Greggs / Martins. She too thought it was very unfair that Greggs opened up on the doorstep of Martins.

I sometimes go in Martins for my lunch - they do a great ham, cheese and salad baguette.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 10:31 - May 17 with 3202 viewshype313

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 10:29 - May 17 by ITFC_Forever

Me and my daughter have been monitoring this for months now.... she goes to school near the Woodbridge Rd site and looks to see how many are in Greggs / Martins. She too thought it was very unfair that Greggs opened up on the doorstep of Martins.

I sometimes go in Martins for my lunch - they do a great ham, cheese and salad baguette.

It's a shame but if they are that good then they shouldn't be worried, if they are worried then they don't believe in their product.

Most people will go to the local one, they like the interaction with the staff, schoolkids and white van men will prob use Greggs.

Login to get fewer ads

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 10:34 - May 17 with 3197 viewsitfcjoe

That Bakers on Woodbridge Road East is rubbish - I went there a while back as they wanted people not to go to Greggs before it had opened and their sandwiches were nearly £4 each with nothing with it, and I bought a sauasge roll as didn't want to walk out empty handed and it was about £1.20 and was as dry as Gandhi's flip flop.

I'm gutted that the bakery on Foxhall Road went which had the best meal day - used to go there lots.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 10:38 - May 17 with 3182 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 10:34 - May 17 by itfcjoe

That Bakers on Woodbridge Road East is rubbish - I went there a while back as they wanted people not to go to Greggs before it had opened and their sandwiches were nearly £4 each with nothing with it, and I bought a sauasge roll as didn't want to walk out empty handed and it was about £1.20 and was as dry as Gandhi's flip flop.

I'm gutted that the bakery on Foxhall Road went which had the best meal day - used to go there lots.

Not a frequent visitor to either but I went to my local bakery the other day and found the staff rude and difficult. I only wanted a loaf of bread and a couple of sausage rolls. The staff at the Greggs ten minutes down the road are always friendly and they also accept card.

All for supporting independents when they make it easy to support them but it puts me off massively if they don’t go the extra mile.
Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 10:39 - May 17 with 3170 viewsLord_Lucan

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 10:31 - May 17 by hype313

It's a shame but if they are that good then they shouldn't be worried, if they are worried then they don't believe in their product.

Most people will go to the local one, they like the interaction with the staff, schoolkids and white van men will prob use Greggs.

If I had a bakery thing I would be very worried about Greggs, they are obviously targeting existing businesses.

We live in a world of multiple retailers, people will go into Greggs because they are familiar with the products, how their system works and because of the "Brand". This is why McDonalds et al are so popular, little to do with the end product but about product realisation. Very important also is when you walk into McDonalds they are all the same with regards to layout, menu, ordering etc, someone can walk in there and order without having to think.

I feel sorry for the local bakers, they work all hours preparing their goods for the day ahead.

Anyone who says "All competition is good competition" is a liar. If I were a baker - or candlestick maker I want to be the only one in town.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 10:44 - May 17 with 3146 viewshype313

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 10:39 - May 17 by Lord_Lucan

If I had a bakery thing I would be very worried about Greggs, they are obviously targeting existing businesses.

We live in a world of multiple retailers, people will go into Greggs because they are familiar with the products, how their system works and because of the "Brand". This is why McDonalds et al are so popular, little to do with the end product but about product realisation. Very important also is when you walk into McDonalds they are all the same with regards to layout, menu, ordering etc, someone can walk in there and order without having to think.

I feel sorry for the local bakers, they work all hours preparing their goods for the day ahead.

Anyone who says "All competition is good competition" is a liar. If I were a baker - or candlestick maker I want to be the only one in town.

Well it's no coincidence they have opened up conveniently next to two existing bakeries. I agree, none of us want competition in our business, but they will have to react, as Joe said £4 for a baguette is taking the p1ss, if they are getting away with that then competition is welcome IMO.

Excuse the pun but cake and eat it comes to mind.

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 10:45 - May 17 with 3141 viewsitfcjoe

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 10:38 - May 17 by PrideOfTheEast

Not a frequent visitor to either but I went to my local bakery the other day and found the staff rude and difficult. I only wanted a loaf of bread and a couple of sausage rolls. The staff at the Greggs ten minutes down the road are always friendly and they also accept card.

All for supporting independents when they make it easy to support them but it puts me off massively if they don’t go the extra mile.

Not accepting card is just so backwards, the good one that shut on Foxhall Rd didn't but the meal deal was great and the staff were friendly so you didn't mind putting yourself out a bit

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 10:50 - May 17 with 3122 viewssoupytwist

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 10:39 - May 17 by Lord_Lucan

Gregg's tried to open a branch in Halstead where the residents' baked goods requirements are already met by the wonderful independent bakery Hume's.

A 'bring Gregg's to Halstead' Facebook group sprang up, only to be bombarded with anti-Greggs, pro Hume's posts. In fact, it could have been an elaborate double bluff social media marketing effort by Hume's such was the vitriol about a Greggs appearing on Halstead High Street.

Hume's is still the only bakery in Halstead. There does seem to be an unsustainable number of coffee shops on the High Street however.
Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 10:54 - May 17 with 3098 viewsGlasgowBlue

My Mrs owns a Bistro and Coffee house on a main street. Two months ago Greggs opened up next door to her. At first she lost some takeaway Panini and a coffee type lunch time trade but it was only for a short while. People prefer freshly made quality over cheap processed crap that has been delivered in the morning on the back of a lorry.
[Post edited 17 May 2017 10:55]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 10:55 - May 17 with 3089 viewsRadlett_blue

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 10:50 - May 17 by soupytwist

Gregg's tried to open a branch in Halstead where the residents' baked goods requirements are already met by the wonderful independent bakery Hume's.

A 'bring Gregg's to Halstead' Facebook group sprang up, only to be bombarded with anti-Greggs, pro Hume's posts. In fact, it could have been an elaborate double bluff social media marketing effort by Hume's such was the vitriol about a Greggs appearing on Halstead High Street.

Hume's is still the only bakery in Halstead. There does seem to be an unsustainable number of coffee shops on the High Street however.

I have an irrational dislike of Halstead after, as a child, seeing a 311 Halstead bus hove into view so often when I wanted a 33 or 52 to get home.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 10:57 - May 17 with 3081 viewssoupytwist

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 10:55 - May 17 by Radlett_blue

I have an irrational dislike of Halstead after, as a child, seeing a 311 Halstead bus hove into view so often when I wanted a 33 or 52 to get home.

Does that mean you'd be pro or anti a Greggs opening up there?
Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 11:02 - May 17 with 3071 viewsHarry_Palmer

I agree with some of the other comments, Martin's in particular needs to up its game if it wants to see off Greggs.

I would always choose a local independent over Greggs but I have walked out of Martins empty handed on numerous occasions because they couldn't provide what I wanted ( basic stuff ) and this was late morning / lunch time when you would expect everything to be available.

On each occasion this has been communicated with a shrug of the shoulders rather than an apology and the offer of an alternative. I now don't even bother going there at all.

Sometimes these people need to help themselves and stand out against the competition rather than moan about them.
Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 11:03 - May 17 with 3069 viewsLord_Lucan

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 10:44 - May 17 by hype313

Well it's no coincidence they have opened up conveniently next to two existing bakeries. I agree, none of us want competition in our business, but they will have to react, as Joe said £4 for a baguette is taking the p1ss, if they are getting away with that then competition is welcome IMO.

Excuse the pun but cake and eat it comes to mind.

Well I think a lot of these type of businesses rest on their laurels and then find themselves in a situation like this. Not just bakers but traditional businesses stuck in a time warp.

I have been to both of the local bakers mentioned and they are both a bit naff in as much as you walk in there at 14.00 for some nice fresh crusty rolls and they look at you as if you are a mentalist. Bakers seem to have sold out of most things by mid afternoon, why don't they make more rolls, open later and catch the commuting trade. If you go in for a crusty loaf after 15.00 the bread shelves are just empty holes and poppy seeds. Joe also makes a good point about accepting cards - what is it with some businesses? I really can't understand the mentality. For our stores I would rather take card payments than cash. Easier, more secure and just as cheap.

Other examples are cafes. No card, cr4p coffee, close early. Stay open for dinnertime trade for crying out loud.

Why don't we have a 24 hour pharmacy to go to? Every fecker needs something at all hours of the day. I would open 24/7 and have a pallet of Calpol in the middle of the store.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 11:09 - May 17 with 3042 viewsITFC_Forever

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 11:03 - May 17 by Lord_Lucan

Well I think a lot of these type of businesses rest on their laurels and then find themselves in a situation like this. Not just bakers but traditional businesses stuck in a time warp.

I have been to both of the local bakers mentioned and they are both a bit naff in as much as you walk in there at 14.00 for some nice fresh crusty rolls and they look at you as if you are a mentalist. Bakers seem to have sold out of most things by mid afternoon, why don't they make more rolls, open later and catch the commuting trade. If you go in for a crusty loaf after 15.00 the bread shelves are just empty holes and poppy seeds. Joe also makes a good point about accepting cards - what is it with some businesses? I really can't understand the mentality. For our stores I would rather take card payments than cash. Easier, more secure and just as cheap.

Other examples are cafes. No card, cr4p coffee, close early. Stay open for dinnertime trade for crying out loud.

Why don't we have a 24 hour pharmacy to go to? Every fecker needs something at all hours of the day. I would open 24/7 and have a pallet of Calpol in the middle of the store.

I'm pretty sure Martins do accept card, although the minimum payment might need be a fiver.

I might pop in there at lunchtime today, I'll have a look.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 11:14 - May 17 with 3022 viewsGogs

I hate Greggs and hate what they're doing here. Their sausage rolls are without doubt the worst I've ever eaten anywhere, extruded pink/grey salty slop in excessively greasy flaky pastry. I'm not a frequent bakery visitor, never been into Martins, but never had a problem with Victoria Bakery, decent range of products and friendly staff. I hope the local bakeries can get through this but the fact the Foxhall Road bakers was quickly put out of business just by the Tesco Expensive opening where the Heathlands was does not bode well for them
on 11:18 - May 17 with 2998 views_

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 11:19 - May 17 with 2988 viewstheblueginger

You think the monopoly is bad in Ipswich, try Leeds. There are literally stores on every street corner in the city center, and yet students at Uni of Leeds still wanted another one opened on campus! Despite this there are still several independent ones about.

I for one go to Gregg's because it's cheaper, and more consistent. You know what you're going to get.
[Post edited 17 May 2017 11:26]
Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 11:27 - May 17 with 2961 viewstheblueginger

on 11:18 - May 17 by _

...stolen from kitchen nightmares though
Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 11:30 - May 17 with 2950 viewsitfcjoe

Why would anyone go to a Greggs over a local independent bakery? on 11:02 - May 17 by Harry_Palmer

I agree with some of the other comments, Martin's in particular needs to up its game if it wants to see off Greggs.

I would always choose a local independent over Greggs but I have walked out of Martins empty handed on numerous occasions because they couldn't provide what I wanted ( basic stuff ) and this was late morning / lunch time when you would expect everything to be available.

On each occasion this has been communicated with a shrug of the shoulders rather than an apology and the offer of an alternative. I now don't even bother going there at all.

Sometimes these people need to help themselves and stand out against the competition rather than moan about them.

That has been my experience there - they seem more worried about 'not being Greggs' than they do about having a decent product worth going in for. I now would go to greggs if needing something as live just of the main road up there so pass relatively frequently.

Even the garage at Applegreen is streets ahead of it

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024