Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! 11:08 - May 17 with 6187 viewstextbackup

I was at school, unable to concentrate all day!

What was your build up to the game? The day? The pubs etc...

After school we were straight down the westgate ward social club so the grown ups could get suitably pissed, and me and cousins played football in the car park.

'Oh what a night
Year 2000 and the month was may
Jim magilton scored and saved the day
What a memory what a night'

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 11:11 - May 17 with 3741 viewsITFC_Forever

I can remember I was out and about at work and when I finished visiting my final customer to head home, the pre-match nerves really kicked in.

Can remember being pretty peed off when the half-time whistle blew as we were behind, and kicked one of the bits of metal sheeting at the top of the middle stair-well in the North Stand. The noise made a few people around me jump.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 11:15 - May 17 with 3720 viewsLord_Lucan

I was taking the kids regularly then so missed out on pre and post match fun.

I remember in prior seasons RKD sobbing his eyes out when we lost in the play offs - he really took it seriously.

As it looked like we were going out RKD started to sob, in fact he continued to sob all through extra time and was still sobbing when we won.

He just couldn't deal with it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 11:17 - May 17 with 3702 viewstextbackup

17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 11:15 - May 17 by Lord_Lucan

I remember in prior seasons RKD sobbing his eyes out when we lost in the play offs - he really took it seriously.

As it looked like we were going out RKD started to sob, in fact he continued to sob all through extra time and was still sobbing when we won.

Same as me then, I literally felt I'd wasted a year of my life and didn't think I'd ever recover after a playoff lose (aged 11-13 I may add)

17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 11:27 - May 17 with 3668 viewsitfcjoe

I had a shocker of a day - signed up to go to a school theatre trip in London to get the day of school - months before and didn't consider play offs.

School was in town and we were due back at 7 but because of so much traffic had to jump off near Portman Road and got in just as we'd made it 1-1

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 11:27 - May 17 with 3671 viewsSteve_M

I can remember walking down into Town with my brother and what a glorious Spring evening it was but not much else of the build up. Not having internet access in the job I was doing then possibly helped me by not spending the whole day on here.

The game, of course, has been recounted loads but I do remember in the last five minutes thinking how unfair the play-offs were turning out for us, four years in a fecking row etc.

Other specific memories:
- the blatant handball by Holdsworth before that free kick they scored from;
- the majesty of Jim's second goal ( I rarely remember seeing him beat one man, let alone three);
- the sense of despair at Bolton's immediate reply and then the save from David Johnson a minute after that;
- the eventual, and belated, justice of Whitlow's second yellow card. Knight gave him four or five chances;
- Reuser burying that shot in the roof of the net; even with a two man and one goal advantage it was still the play-offs and this was still us;
- Going on the pitch so happy to have won the tie that it was only when Burley mentioned the final that I remembered the job was only part done;
- My brother pointing out (pointing at the scoreboard from mid-pitch) we had just seen eight goals in a match, neither of us had really absorbed that fact until then.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 11:34 - May 17 with 3634 viewsbluewein

I was living in Yeovil. Was 15 at the time and had some pointless exams to do which my folks didn't want me to miss.

The old man, my brother and sister all managed to get tickets and went up for the game. (In the Saint Jim thread, the video which Geoff S posted shows my bro and Dad stood looking very glum, just before Mgaic scored his third.)

I remember the game wasn't on Sky or the radio for some reason, so all I had was updates from the game. When I found out we'd won, I ran in to the toilet and threw up as my nerevs were shot to pieces.

Still so jealous of all you lucky people who were there that night.

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 11:41 - May 17 with 3618 viewsSteve_M

I think the really odd thing, looking back now, is this was only eight years after Lyall's side got promoted in 1992, at the time it felt an age. Then again, that's the difference between being 16 and 24 I suppose.
[Post edited 17 May 2017 11:50]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 11:43 - May 17 with 3605 viewsTheBlueBarca

I think most of us were thinking during the game that we couldn't believe it was happening again.... My thoughts were actually that maybe Burley would be on his way out after 4 times unable to do it, that we wouldn't keep onto Wright and Scowie ... and then it all changed. Then we didnt know what to think, I don't think we even dared to dream it might be happening this time.

Everyone on this forum is always wrong.
Poll: Should Tommy Smith be awarded a Testimonial at Ipswich?

Login to get fewer ads

17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 11:46 - May 17 with 3591 viewsSomethingBlue

I'll always remember being on the pitch at full-time and someone leaping onto my back going "COME ON!!!" and it turned out to be my maths teacher from school.

Used to love those spring evenings walking down, through the Dales and Broomhill, into town for play-off games and other tense end-of-season affairs. Best memories ever.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

[Redacted] on 11:49 - May 17 with 3553 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 11:50 - May 17 with 3538 viewsStenvict

Am I right in saying that the game wasn't on TV?

We lived in Aberdeen at the time and I remember my Dad was listening to the match in one room and I was watching the UEFA Cup Final in another. I wasn't as big a fan then as I am now. I was only 9 at the time though.

But I did go to the Final.

Poll: What will be announced first?

17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 11:51 - May 17 with 3540 viewsbluelagos

I remember on the pitch afterwards having Matty Holland in a headlock and shouting a load of incoherent nonsense at him. Also remember thinking it would be a good idea to dance on top of the dugouts and the stewards thinking it wasn't such a good idea.

Aside from that - got to say the tension of the late 90s playoffs those years at Portman Road was the most intense I've experienced, easily.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 11:53 - May 17 with 3510 viewsITFC_Forever

17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 11:34 - May 17 by bluewein

I was living in Yeovil. Was 15 at the time and had some pointless exams to do which my folks didn't want me to miss.

The old man, my brother and sister all managed to get tickets and went up for the game. (In the Saint Jim thread, the video which Geoff S posted shows my bro and Dad stood looking very glum, just before Mgaic scored his third.)

I remember the game wasn't on Sky or the radio for some reason, so all I had was updates from the game. When I found out we'd won, I ran in to the toilet and threw up as my nerevs were shot to pieces.

Still so jealous of all you lucky people who were there that night.

I think Arsenal were in the Cup Winners Cup Final on the same night, so TV / radio was concentrating on that.

17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 11:56 - May 17 with 3500 viewsITFC_Forever

17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 11:27 - May 17 by Steve_M

I can remember walking down into Town with my brother and what a glorious Spring evening it was but not much else of the build up. Not having internet access in the job I was doing then possibly helped me by not spending the whole day on here.

The game, of course, has been recounted loads but I do remember in the last five minutes thinking how unfair the play-offs were turning out for us, four years in a fecking row etc.

Other specific memories:
- the blatant handball by Holdsworth before that free kick they scored from;
- the majesty of Jim's second goal ( I rarely remember seeing him beat one man, let alone three);
- the sense of despair at Bolton's immediate reply and then the save from David Johnson a minute after that;
- the eventual, and belated, justice of Whitlow's second yellow card. Knight gave him four or five chances;
- Reuser burying that shot in the roof of the net; even with a two man and one goal advantage it was still the play-offs and this was still us;
- Going on the pitch so happy to have won the tie that it was only when Burley mentioned the final that I remembered the job was only part done;
- My brother pointing out (pointing at the scoreboard from mid-pitch) we had just seen eight goals in a match, neither of us had really absorbed that fact until then.

I can remember Jim's third goal - Mowbray had gone up front as an emergency forward and he knocked it down for Jim to hit, and I can still see Jaaskelainen's dive not quite getting there and the ball sneaking inside the post.

17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 12:02 - May 17 with 3438 viewsitfcjoe

17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 11:46 - May 17 by SomethingBlue

I'll always remember being on the pitch at full-time and someone leaping onto my back going "COME ON!!!" and it turned out to be my maths teacher from school.

Used to love those spring evenings walking down, through the Dales and Broomhill, into town for play-off games and other tense end-of-season affairs. Best memories ever.

Which one? Walshy?

17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 12:03 - May 17 with 3435 viewsReuser_is_God

I was at school buzzing whilst all the United & Arsenal fans were struggling with their times tables.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 12:04 - May 17 with 3425 viewsitfcjoe

17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 11:51 - May 17 by bluelagos

I remember on the pitch afterwards having Matty Holland in a headlock and shouting a load of incoherent nonsense at him. Also remember thinking it would be a good idea to dance on top of the dugouts and the stewards thinking it wasn't such a good idea.

Aside from that - got to say the tension of the late 90s playoffs those years at Portman Road was the most intense I've experienced, easily.

I remember getting smashed in the throat by a steward as I tried to grab Marcus Stewart as they were ushering him off the pitch - he was limping a bit and looked injured so was panicking about that up until Wembley with Johnno struggling

17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 12:05 - May 17 with 3415 viewstextbackup

17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 11:51 - May 17 by bluelagos

So I was 14 I think, and sister 11, cousins between 8-10. On final whistle we all just ran on, parents uncle auntie all on too, nobody was with anyone, yet 15mins later we are all standing with each other in centre circle, no phones to ask where anyone was, no pre planned meet... an 8 year old running on in amongst 20,000 other FFS lol...

There's days if it happened all the Johnny come latelys would be filming themselves running on, selfies with players. Cnts

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:08 - May 17 with 3367 viewschicoazul

I didnt go. It's my eternal regret. I went to all the previous play-off semis but by then I had had enough of seeing us losing and in a fit of pique combined with being convinced we would lose I didnt go.
[Post edited 17 May 2017 13:47]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 12:15 - May 17 with 3323 viewsEastTownBlue

I don't remember much about the build up at all.

After the match I remember drivers going mad blasting out their car horns. Also there were some dodgy unofficial merchandise sellers outside the ground. I was left wondering how may of our play off years were they waiting for that occasion.
17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 12:16 - May 17 with 3317 viewsIllinoisblue

I recall being nervous and at no point thinking we're going to win this, until maybe with a minute to go in extra time. I recall shouting "Sheepshanks you cnt, this is yor fault" just before Jim's 90th minute equaliser. I recall jumping over from the corner of the North into the West stand to have a better starting position to run on to the pitch from. I recall dancing in the street up by George's bar with cars going past blasting their horns. Then on to Brannigans to get hammered. What a night.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 12:18 - May 17 with 3300 viewsParisBlue

Was living in Paris at the time but had somehow blagged a meeting in London for the day, so left early to catch a train to be picked up by a mate. Except I caught the wrong train so a frantic call to my mate made him take a detour to Hatfield. Then a quick trip to Portman road. Only time I've sat in the pioneer stand (no tickets in the north). Ridiculous game, the sheer elation with Jim's last minute equaliser and the first sending off (the people next to us had already left). Best game ever.

Remember getting back to hotel about 2am absolutely shattered. The polish bloke checking me in just looks at me in my town shirt and said "well done".

For the final, celebration in Hatfield drinking cases of aussie beers. No sleep, just picked my bag up from mates house and straight to Waterloo for Eurostar (I had afternoon meetings). Still wearing my town shirt people just coming up to me congratulating me. I looked a right state...especially in first class sipping on my champagne :)

Great days

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 12:22 - May 17 with 3280 viewsyorkshire

I was up in Leeds sat in a pub (Headingley Taps) as I couldn't make it down for the game - had my Dad put the house phone next to the radio so I could listen (mobile phone bill was a bitch that month) - when the last goal went in I was going crazy and no-one had a clue why
17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 12:25 - May 17 with 3254 viewsIllinoisblue

17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 11:50 - May 17 by Stenvict

Am I right in saying that the game wasn't on TV?

We lived in Aberdeen at the time and I remember my Dad was listening to the match in one room and I was watching the UEFA Cup Final in another. I wasn't as big a fan then as I am now. I was only 9 at the time though.

But I did go to the Final.

correct. not live on TV. Sky had already committed to showing Brum v Barnsley despite Brum being 4-0 down from first leg.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

on 12:25 - May 17 with 3255 views_

17 years ago, 17 friggin years ago!!! on 11:15 - May 17 by Lord_Lucan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024