Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Animal testing Koch ramble 12:19 - May 18 with 641 viewsWeWereZombies

Following last week's dynamic and absorbing thump of an animal testing thread I thought it would be a good idea to do it again...

No, I listened to 'In Our Time' this morning and realised we had quite a crap debate last week. What has set me off is their discussion about attenuation, the mechanism that can be used to prevent gene transcription, and therefore the spread of disease. Louis Pasteur experimented on monkeys and dogs to see which species showed successful resistance to rabies - and therefore we have the benefit of a rabies vaccine. Clearly good for humans but halting the spread of rabies is probably quite beneficial for dogs too. And Pasteur's germ theory led to improved fermentation processes in the production of beer and wine.

So I have no idea what benefits could flow from attaching a rat's head to another rat's body but I would not be surprised to see some medical breakthrough come out of it.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Animal testing Koch ramble on 12:57 - May 18 with 617 viewsJ2BLUE

I don't think anyone was arguing that it couldn't be useful. It's 'great' for humans but i'm sure that doesn't help the animal being tested on.

It might make me soft but it makes me feel sick that an animal can be bred purely to be tested on and then disposed of. I'll leave it to others to decide if it's acceptable in the long run. I don't actually understand anyone who isn't at least a bit bothered by it. Human experimentation would be even more useful but if you're snatched off the street and consoled with don't worry, you're helping other humans it wouldn't be much of a consolation.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Animal testing Koch ramble on 13:05 - May 18 with 609 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

In fairness, I think most of us agreed it was wrong for cosmetics

The issue that became a row came from me being told that if I eat meat, I can't say animal testing is wrong.

But of course let's not go back to that shenanigans

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Animal testing Koch ramble on 14:05 - May 18 with 598 viewsWeWereZombies

Animal testing Koch ramble on 13:05 - May 18 by The_Romford_Blue

In fairness, I think most of us agreed it was wrong for cosmetics

The issue that became a row came from me being told that if I eat meat, I can't say animal testing is wrong.

But of course let's not go back to that shenanigans

Except that you insinuated that when the animal has been killed it makes no difference, completely ignoring the law of supply and demand...

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024