Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Surprises me 10:16 - May 23 with 3426 viewstextbackup

That there's never been an attack like we are seeing at a football match.

I'd imagine many have been sniffed out before they could happen and we just haven't hear s about them, but with all those people in one place, the chance to cause utter mayhem must Ben so tempting for the terrorists.

Thank god we have the security services we do in this country

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Surprises me on 10:23 - May 23 with 3376 viewsSwailsey

I've often thought that - or at any major sporting event.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Surprises me on 10:26 - May 23 with 3366 viewsSteve_M

Well, but for security at the Stade de France 18 months ago there would have been. Big events are obvious targets, so it does seem that the bomber yesterday attacked as people were leaving - the security getting in stops it being inside.

Now, I'm not quite convinced that the stewarding at most domestic football matches is that good. At PR even if I offer my bag to be searched they don't always bother.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Surprises me on 10:35 - May 23 with 3324 viewstextbackup

Surprises me on 10:26 - May 23 by Steve_M

Well, but for security at the Stade de France 18 months ago there would have been. Big events are obvious targets, so it does seem that the bomber yesterday attacked as people were leaving - the security getting in stops it being inside.

Now, I'm not quite convinced that the stewarding at most domestic football matches is that good. At PR even if I offer my bag to be searched they don't always bother.

As I posted I thought back to France!

Worryingly you could get into PR, most grounds if think, with anything!

Surprises me on 10:35 - May 23 with 3320 viewsMJallday

it very much surprises me that a match hasnt been hit..

ive always worried it would be a "2nd tier" stadium such as ours - whereby the attendance is high enough to cause signficant casualites but the security isnt as high as say, old trafford or anfield.

my last 10 or so visits to stadiums, including PR - never been so much as looked at twice - then ive gone on to sit in areas or be on concourses which i would suggest, there are several hundred people within a few meters.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Surprises me on 10:38 - May 23 with 3303 viewsGuthrum

A football ground is fairly dispersed, with multiple entrances and exits, plus the crowd being spread around the perimeter. There are often at least cursory security checks on the way into the ground itself. And lots of police about the place.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Surprises me on 10:39 - May 23 with 3293 viewsStenvict

Surprises me on 10:35 - May 23 by textbackup

As I posted I thought back to France!

Worryingly you could get into PR, most grounds if think, with anything!

It seems flares and smoke bombs are easy to get into grounds. I've never attempted this so wouldn't know whether it's allowed or not and if stewards just ignore it when searching. But if they don't see them and fans take them in, rightly, or wrongly, that's worrying.

Poll: What will be announced first?

Surprises me on 10:39 - May 23 with 3293 viewsJ2BLUE

Surprises me on 10:23 - May 23 by Swailsey

I've often thought that - or at any major sporting event.

When you stop and think about the soft targets there are it's really worrying. Lots of places they could do serious damage and get plenty of time.

Once again we're indebted to our incredibly security services.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Surprises me on 10:39 - May 23 with 3283 viewsGuthrum

Surprises me on 10:35 - May 23 by MJallday

ive always worried it would be a "2nd tier" stadium such as ours - whereby the attendance is high enough to cause signficant casualites but the security isnt as high as say, old trafford or anfield.

my last 10 or so visits to stadiums, including PR - never been so much as looked at twice - then ive gone on to sit in areas or be on concourses which i would suggest, there are several hundred people within a few meters.

Lots of grounds I've been frisked on the way in, with bag checks.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Surprises me on 10:40 - May 23 with 3279 viewsartsbossbeard

Surprises me on 10:35 - May 23 by MJallday

I had the misfortune of having to bring Mrs Beard to the Newcastle away game and she and the other WAG's all had their bags searched.

Edit: I also got my bag checked. I'd bought a v nice zipped woolen hoody from All Saints prior to the game.
[Post edited 23 May 2017 10:57]

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Surprises me on 10:44 - May 23 with 3256 viewstextbackup

Surprises me on 10:39 - May 23 by Guthrum

I got into forest away 2 seasons back, with 4 cans of fosters in coat pockets and jeans pockets!

Surprises me on 10:49 - May 23 with 3239 viewsWD19

Similar thought occurred to me many times. Usually when I am jammed in a crowd unable to move after a major event.

Wouldn't need to be in a stadium. The crush after a Wembley game waiting for Wembley Park. The side road behind the Elton John stand at Watford. Thousands of people hemmed in going nowhere in a publicly accessible space.
Surprises me on 10:50 - May 23 with 3225 viewsSwailsey

Surprises me on 10:39 - May 23 by J2BLUE

When you stop and think about the soft targets there are it's really worrying. Lots of places they could do serious damage and get plenty of time.

Once again we're indebted to our incredibly security services.

Yeah, exactly.

I've been to Wembley three times and never had my bag searched.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Surprises me on 13:07 - May 23 with 2972 viewstractorboy1978

I don't think I've been stopped once at PR in 20 years.
Surprises me on 13:40 - May 23 with 2870 viewsSarge

Only had that at QPR so I won't be returning to Loftus Road.
Surprises me on 14:06 - May 23 with 2799 viewsRoyKeanesDog

I had a really strong feeling that London 2012 was going to get hit.

Poll: Best Football Song

Surprises me on 14:10 - May 23 with 2776 viewsbritbiker

I go to the Wembley nfl games and always thought they would be a target as you have an iconic ground and also a mix of UK and Americans. Plus nfl has always had a policy of saluting their armed forces during games.
Surprises me on 14:22 - May 23 with 2749 viewsWarkTheWark

I was thinking about this earlier... Playoff season i would manage to get from London straight from work for every Tuesday night game (season after too before cancelling ST). I always had a holdall with gym kit & lunch boxes, flask etc inside - was checked on one occasion and i'm thinking only because i was late.

Can see why anyone would be concerned.
Surprises me on 18:41 - May 23 with 2641 viewsIpswich1984

Surprises me on 14:10 - May 23 by britbiker

I go to the Wembley nfl games and always thought they would be a target as you have an iconic ground and also a mix of UK and Americans. Plus nfl has always had a policy of saluting their armed forces during games.

But I think the NFL have it right in the US with their bag policy and it's not an issue at games there:

http://www.nfl.com/allclear?akmobile=ios-tablet&akcarrier=other

They do try it here at the Wembley games but it's not strictly enforced, think it maybe this year.

Poll: Should there be a lap of honour after the Sheffield United game?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024