Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? 11:12 - May 23 with 6225 viewsBergholtBru

Well, it`s amazing what people will do when they believe God is on their side!

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:56 - May 23 with 2748 viewsbournemouthblue

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:50 - May 23 by lowhouseblue

someone posted a very good article a couple of months ago about the characteristics of those in the west who have been radicalised and committed terrorists attacks. it was based on data from belgium and france I think. it was very good and reinforces what you say - but I can't find it now.

they often come from criminal backgrounds also, I suppose if they are willing to bend the rules in that manner, this is the next step

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:57 - May 23 with 2739 viewslowhouseblue

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:56 - May 23 by bournemouthblue

they often come from criminal backgrounds also, I suppose if they are willing to bend the rules in that manner, this is the next step

yes, that's what the article showed - often with a history of very western vices.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 13:04 - May 23 with 2723 viewsPlums

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:50 - May 23 by lowhouseblue

someone posted a very good article a couple of months ago about the characteristics of those in the west who have been radicalised and committed terrorists attacks. it was based on data from belgium and france I think. it was very good and reinforces what you say - but I can't find it now.

This is it. In summary, they have more in common with US high school shooters than mosque visiting muslims:
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/apr/13/who-are-the-new-jihadis

The sooner we admit to ourselves that these people are a product of our society rather than something being done to it, the closer we will be to resolving the situation.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 13:05 - May 23 with 2715 viewsGuthrum

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:56 - May 23 by bournemouthblue

That's more true for French/Belgian jihadis than British ones.

France has a very deep problem with lack of integration in communities who immigrated from its former North African empire (particularly Algeria). Thus there has been a lot of ghettoisation, with economic/social marginalisation and a drift into criminality in communities where youth unemployment is rife.

The UK doesn't have that issue to anywhere near the same extent, so the radicalised tend to be working alone or in very small groups, both recruited and connecting over the internet.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 13:06 - May 23 with 2709 viewslowhouseblue

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 13:04 - May 23 by Plums

This is it. In summary, they have more in common with US high school shooters than mosque visiting muslims:
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/apr/13/who-are-the-new-jihadis

The sooner we admit to ourselves that these people are a product of our society rather than something being done to it, the closer we will be to resolving the situation.

that's it. thanks.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 13:24 - May 23 with 2665 viewsGromheort

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 13:05 - May 23 by Guthrum

That's more true for French/Belgian jihadis than British ones.

France has a very deep problem with lack of integration in communities who immigrated from its former North African empire (particularly Algeria). Thus there has been a lot of ghettoisation, with economic/social marginalisation and a drift into criminality in communities where youth unemployment is rife.

The UK doesn't have that issue to anywhere near the same extent, so the radicalised tend to be working alone or in very small groups, both recruited and connecting over the internet.

The evidence though does suggest a common link: while we shouldn't oversimplify, perceptions of discrimination or marginalisation have played an integral role. That's the 'vicious cycle' rationality behind the tactic: heinous crimes create more hatred and, through perceived greater marginalisation, provokes a greater pool of the radicalised.
Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 14:17 - May 23 with 2613 viewssparks

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:51 - May 23 by giant_stow

It depends on what you define as a religion. Personally, I wouldn't call ISIS truly religious - they've twisted Islam out of all recognition. Although I accept they would disagree.
[Post edited 23 May 2017 23:04]

That's a form of the one true Scotsman fallacy.

They take the words more literally than the mainstream. However the mainstream gives them cover and comfort by creating a baseline of unfounded beliefs and often demanding entitlement to have them respected above others rights and interests. See Christians and gay people. Or the blasphemy and apostasy laws prevalent and supported in the Islamic world.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 14:30 - May 23 with 2593 viewsgiant_stow

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 14:17 - May 23 by sparks

That's a form of the one true Scotsman fallacy.

They take the words more literally than the mainstream. However the mainstream gives them cover and comfort by creating a baseline of unfounded beliefs and often demanding entitlement to have them respected above others rights and interests. See Christians and gay people. Or the blasphemy and apostasy laws prevalent and supported in the Islamic world.

The vast majority of muslims would be aghast and 100% opposed about what happenned last night, so it seems unfair and illogical to somehow implicate them in these events.

I don't know enough about blasphemy / apostate laws to counter that, but do know that pointing to "Christians and gay people" is a massive generalisation - there are many strands to Christians' thinking on homosexuality.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 14:44 - May 23 with 2573 viewsMedwayTractor

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:54 - May 23 by MJallday

IS now claiming responsibility

There is nothing responsible about what happened in Manchester. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 14:49 - May 23 with 2559 viewsDarth_Koont

Yes - think we're talking about the same article but that research stuck with me too.

I'll see if I can find it again.

Edit: See delaisplums has already found it. Good work!
[Post edited 23 May 2017 14:53]

Pronouns: He/Him

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 15:01 - May 23 with 2531 viewssparks

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 14:30 - May 23 by giant_stow

The vast majority of muslims would be aghast and 100% opposed about what happenned last night, so it seems unfair and illogical to somehow implicate them in these events.

I don't know enough about blasphemy / apostate laws to counter that, but do know that pointing to "Christians and gay people" is a massive generalisation - there are many strands to Christians' thinking on homosexuality.

The point is about baselines in the mainstream religions. The leap from hate the sin love the sinner to 'we should do something about this sin' is not that huge.

Similarly the leap between the church and state supporting corporal punishment for blasphemy and apostasy, to 'we should proactively do something about these blasphemers' is not that huge.

We can't tar all with the same brush but neither should we dismiss the role religions, often unwittingly, play.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 15:24 - May 23 with 2500 viewsFreddy

Scumbags targeting kids
Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 15:45 - May 23 with 2469 viewsSuperfrans

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 12:54 - May 23 by MJallday

IS now claiming responsibility

They would do that whether they were involved or not.

Their modus operandi is to create fear and part of that is giving the impression that they can reach everyone, everywhere. The murderer killed himself in the attack. We may never know for certain whether he acted alone or not.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 15:53 - May 23 with 2453 viewsblue_oyster

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 15:45 - May 23 by Superfrans

Their modus operandi is to create fear and part of that is giving the impression that they can reach everyone, everywhere. The murderer killed himself in the attack. We may never know for certain whether he acted alone or not.

One thing that we do know is that our 'intelligence' services are unable to protect the public. They will ensure that you are treated like a terrorist every time you go to the airport though.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 21:47 - May 24 with 2338 viewsGromheort

Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 15:45 - May 23 by Superfrans

Fear is typically a prime weapon for terrorists. However, its different with this lot. Ratcheting up the disgust factor is the key ingredient. It quite rightly provokes anger. But when that anger leaks into further perceptions of attacks against the islam faith, it increases the risk of further radicalisation. The solution is solidarity.
Manchester bombing - why do people do these things?? on 22:25 - May 24 with 2318 viewsblueconscience

Bet the coward was gutted when there was no "Paradise" that they fantasise dieing for.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024