Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The attack of the Islamic faith 18:40 - May 23 with 10253 viewsmos

Almost every terrorist attack of late has brought about a large wagon of people who decide that Muslims are to blame for the attack.
Their general reasoning is that the attacker is a Muslim; from which they have most likely determined from their name. Basically, it's a guess that the terrorist was from the Islamic faith.

And you don't have to search far on the Internet to find utter hatred towards the Muslims, it was only 10 minutes ago I was looking on YouTube at news updates and the top comment was something on the lines of "The only way is to ban all Muslims.".

This is ridiculous. People are genuinely thinking these sort of things, and it's not even like its a joke or a rarity. It's relatively common on the Internet.

The Good Guy part - I like Muslims, I know several Muslims who are great friends and lovely, caring people. Banning Muslims is an outrageous thought.

So I'm curious, what do other people think about this attack on the Islamic faith? I hope you find these sort of people ridiculous, but it's seeming relatively common now. So what are your thoughts?

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

The attack of the Islamic faith on 07:39 - May 24 with 2353 viewsDarth_Koont

The attack of the Islamic faith on 07:34 - May 24 by Axeldalai_lama

How do you know that Muslims are not doing enough?

The great majority of tip offs to prevent terrorist attacks come from Muslim communities. Muslim groups both local and national condemn all attacks when they happen.

Why stay? Brilliant. Suggesting they somehow don't belong in this country, despite most being born and raised here, many for generations. Not to mention a lot of the most extreme/ most likely to do these cowardly attacks are converts who aren't from traditional muslim communities.

"Get upset when the authorities interfere". Are you saying that the average policeman get's treated with massive respect when looking for a drug dealer or local scumbag on, say, a council estate? Or stop and search? Does that go down well? My only point being that people don't generally like the police etc getting involved in their business, so can hardly use it against one and not the other.

As for wiping them out. How do you suggest we do this? I'd say we're already doing a pretty good job. You make it sound so simple.

No one is accepting what's happening but frustrated ranting largely at the muslim community gets us worse than nowhere IMO.

Very well said.

Pronouns: He/Him

The attack of the Islamic faith on 07:47 - May 24 with 2335 viewsDurovigutum

The attack of the Islamic faith on 21:20 - May 23 by factual_blue

One could argue that Christianity doesn't do enough to out the cowardly ar*eholes of the Westboro Baptist Church.

This is their website

http://www.godhatesfags.com

Yes, you have read that correctly......

They do

https://revolsen.com/2017/05/17/an-open-letter-to-rev-franklin-graham-from-a-sma

Like the pro "true Muslim" stuff it doesn't reach the mainstream media.
The attack of the Islamic faith on 07:54 - May 24 with 2322 viewsDurovigutum

There is no difference between a fundamentalist Muslim, Christian or Atheist. Between a hard left or hard right politician.

Can I ask if you REALLY hate Norwich fans? Are they scum? If you have ever posted or spoken such words how are you different than a Muslim being turned to hate by someone spotting the anger and grooming the behaviour? It only takes one with a mental instability or a built in tendency to violence to carry a knife and turn an away day into a tragedy because he was whipped up by a forum who have painted the enemy as all one colour.
The attack of the Islamic faith on 08:19 - May 24 with 2299 viewsunbelievablue

The attack of the Islamic faith on 19:01 - May 23 by sparks

Whilst there are some who blindly make stupid comments, you are not (imo) giving appropriate credence and credit to the more nuanced and reasoned comments and arguments people make.

People dont guess that the terrorist was form the islamic faith- most, recently, are from that faith, and much of the trouble in the world currently has ISIS, Al Quaeda and similar organisations with similar ideologies at its heart. Those are overtly and agressively islamic organisations, basing much of their argument and behaviour on their interpretation of islamic doctrine.

Islamist*.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

The attack of the Islamic faith on 12:05 - May 24 with 2241 viewsRyorry

The attack of the Islamic faith on 06:14 - May 24 by The_Romford_Blue

But who are they telling? How are they supposed to know which of the nutters are in their community? Because it's such a tiny percentage

Obviously it doesn't have to be targeted at any specific individual/s, just a general message put out in mosques, disseminated via media interviews, articles etc.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The attack of the Islamic faith on 12:06 - May 24 with 2231 viewsunbelievablue

The attack of the Islamic faith on 12:05 - May 24 by Ryorry

Obviously it doesn't have to be targeted at any specific individual/s, just a general message put out in mosques, disseminated via media interviews, articles etc.

That is happening a great deal more than most realise, and some would like to believe.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

The attack of the Islamic faith on 12:08 - May 24 with 2224 viewsDarth_Koont

The attack of the Islamic faith on 12:05 - May 24 by Ryorry

Yes, I remember the constant criticism of the Republican and loyalist terrorists in church during the 70s and 80s ... maybe just like us, ordinary muslims don't think these people have anything to do with them or their faith.

Pronouns: He/Him

The attack of the Islamic faith on 12:14 - May 24 with 2209 viewsRyorry

The attack of the Islamic faith on 12:06 - May 24 by unbelievablue

That is happening a great deal more than most realise, and some would like to believe.

That's great, wish it were all publicised more.

Does anyone else watch Gogglebox and keep thinking of the Siddiqui (sp?) family. Can't remember their location - Midlands? They're really lovely, a middle-aged man with his two 20-something sons, all intelligent and articulate. When terrorist acts have been in TV news progs covered previously, they've every time made comments full of sadness about how they fear this will rebound on ordinary, peaceful, law-abiding Muslims in the UK like themselves, and the possible retaliation they might come in for.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

The attack of the Islamic faith on 12:38 - May 24 with 2176 viewsBecclesITFC

I agree with you. But I also get fed up with people who get more angered and hate filled with a Katy Hopkins tweet than they do for the actual killers.
[Post edited 24 May 2017 12:43]
The attack of the Islamic faith on 12:44 - May 24 with 2164 viewsnoggin

The attack of the Islamic faith on 12:38 - May 24 by BecclesITFC

I agree with you. But I also get fed up with people who get more angered and hate filled with a Katy Hopkins tweet than they do for the actual killers.
[Post edited 24 May 2017 12:43]

Katy Hopkins is an attention seeker, nothing more.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

The attack of the Islamic faith on 12:51 - May 24 with 2154 viewsconnorscontract

The attack of the Islamic faith on 20:21 - May 23 by sparks

Quoting Theresa is unfortunate.

She appears to have been a pretty unpleasant character.

She was no saint, that's for certain.

That was a joke. She was a complex character who achieved a great deal by exerting considerable dominance and control and demanding loyalty and utter devotion to the cause from her followers. When someone like Steve Jobs does that to make money he is held up as a paragon, when Mother Theresa does it to ensure the poorest of Calcutta receive nursing care, you want to snipe.

Another of her alleged failings was her willingness to meet with dictators. Not something I'd do personally, but entirely consistent with her position.

Of course, there are things about MLK that you could have pointed to, as well. It's ok to look up to people for their qualities, without uncritically eulogising everything they did.

I bet even Mary Berry can be a right old c*** sometimes.
The attack of the Islamic faith on 13:25 - May 24 with 2106 viewssparks

The attack of the Islamic faith on 12:51 - May 24 by connorscontract

She was no saint, that's for certain.

That was a joke. She was a complex character who achieved a great deal by exerting considerable dominance and control and demanding loyalty and utter devotion to the cause from her followers. When someone like Steve Jobs does that to make money he is held up as a paragon, when Mother Theresa does it to ensure the poorest of Calcutta receive nursing care, you want to snipe.

Another of her alleged failings was her willingness to meet with dictators. Not something I'd do personally, but entirely consistent with her position.

Of course, there are things about MLK that you could have pointed to, as well. It's ok to look up to people for their qualities, without uncritically eulogising everything they did.

I bet even Mary Berry can be a right old c*** sometimes.

If those were the only criticisms of her I would take no issue at all.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people.'

A philosophy which appears to have directly impacted on her 'work'.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

The attack of the Islamic faith on 21:39 - May 24 with 2028 viewswarkthisway

All religion should be confined to history

bentnkuqi

The attack of the Islamic faith on 21:41 - May 24 with 2021 viewsGromheort

The attack of the Islamic faith on 21:39 - May 24 by warkthisway

Sociologist alert!
The attack of the Islamic faith on 21:41 - May 24 with 2018 viewsJ2BLUE

The attack of the Islamic faith on 21:39 - May 24 by warkthisway

But they aren't and they aren't going to be in our lifetime.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The attack of the Islamic faith on 21:48 - May 24 with 2002 viewsMullet

The attack of the Islamic faith on 21:41 - May 24 by Gromheort

Sociologist alert!

Pretty big insult to the field of Sociology.

The study of religion is a huge area of research and study well away from Victorian era German economists and dubious historians.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

The attack of the Islamic faith on 21:52 - May 24 with 1993 viewsGromheort

The attack of the Islamic faith on 21:48 - May 24 by Mullet

Pretty big insult to the field of Sociology.

The study of religion is a huge area of research and study well away from Victorian era German economists and dubious historians.

Its those dastard sociologists that promote the view that religion is on its last legs. Secularisation thesis and all that!
The attack of the Islamic faith on 21:54 - May 24 with 1982 viewsMullet

The attack of the Islamic faith on 21:52 - May 24 by Gromheort

Its those dastard sociologists that promote the view that religion is on its last legs. Secularisation thesis and all that!

Which applies differently on many different basis' including the society in question. It also has plenty of flaws and is one of several positions arguably.

The attack of the Islamic faith on 21:56 - May 24 with 1975 viewsGromheort

The attack of the Islamic faith on 21:54 - May 24 by Mullet

Which applies differently on many different basis' including the society in question. It also has plenty of flaws and is one of several positions arguably.

But my original point stands. Sociologists have been the most dismissive of religion. The dismal science, in contrast, has been a lot more jolly about it.
The attack of the Islamic faith on 21:59 - May 24 with 1965 viewsblueislander

The attack of the Islamic faith on 21:52 - May 24 by Gromheort

The vast majority of the world's population follow some sort of religion, and have some sort of faith. Apart from TWTD posters atheists are very much a minority.
The attack of the Islamic faith on 22:01 - May 24 with 1959 viewsMullet

The attack of the Islamic faith on 21:56 - May 24 by Gromheort

But my original point stands. Sociologists have been the most dismissive of religion. The dismal science, in contrast, has been a lot more jolly about it.

Some, apart from the ones who study it or the vast majority who understand its place in history, society and cultures that span the entirety of human history. One of the big three wrote extensively about the impact of the Protestant ethic after all. It is cited as a major starting point for the formation of the discipline and taught extensively still.

Arguably very few reflect your appraisal. You're misrepresenting Sociology with such generalisations to be fair.

The attack of the Islamic faith on 22:04 - May 24 with 1948 viewsGromheort

The attack of the Islamic faith on 21:59 - May 24 by blueislander

The vast majority of the world's population follow some sort of religion, and have some sort of faith. Apart from TWTD posters atheists are very much a minority.

Yep. Sociologists have Brit 'don't believe in god' up as high as 40%. But less them a quarter of them are committed atheist. Rest are hedging their bets perhaps?
The attack of the Islamic faith on 22:04 - May 24 with 1944 viewsGromheort

The attack of the Islamic faith on 22:01 - May 24 by Mullet

Some, apart from the ones who study it or the vast majority who understand its place in history, society and cultures that span the entirety of human history. One of the big three wrote extensively about the impact of the Protestant ethic after all. It is cited as a major starting point for the formation of the discipline and taught extensively still.

Arguably very few reflect your appraisal. You're misrepresenting Sociology with such generalisations to be fair.

Weber's stuff the height of dodgy mind you!
The attack of the Islamic faith on 22:13 - May 24 with 1912 viewsMullet

The attack of the Islamic faith on 22:04 - May 24 by Gromheort

Weber's stuff the height of dodgy mind you!

More likely dated and subject to the confines of his time and individual ability, but like Marx you can't ignore the impact even if the work becomes further from the current picture of society.

Regardless I still don't see anywhere along this tangent where you can really justify your initial claim with much strength.

The attack of the Islamic faith on 22:24 - May 24 with 1892 viewsm14_blue

The attack of the Islamic faith on 20:21 - May 23 by sparks

Unfortunately, by denying the uncomfortable fact that the groups we are looking at are clearly motivated by their interpretation of islam, we risk avoiding getting to grips with the role religion plays in shaping attitudes and divides, and equally push the less thoughtful towards ractionary positions.

When you say "this is nothing to do with islam" you will get people who respond "this is PC gone mad, you cant even talk about the problem"- which brings its own problems.

I have to ask you who gets to decide what "true muslims" do. Its a fallacy. They believe they are true muslims the same as your friends do. Who gets to choose?

It's the same as when football hooligans cause trouble and they're always said to be 'not real fans'. It makes us feel better to distance ourselves from a group whose actions we despise but it doesn't always help to tackle the problem.

Football hooligans are football fans, islamic extremists are muslims. To acknowledge that link is not to hold all muslims accountable for these animals but to ignore or deny it altogether is ridiculous.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024