Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The attack of the Islamic faith 18:40 - May 23 with 10262 viewsmos

Almost every terrorist attack of late has brought about a large wagon of people who decide that Muslims are to blame for the attack.
Their general reasoning is that the attacker is a Muslim; from which they have most likely determined from their name. Basically, it's a guess that the terrorist was from the Islamic faith.

And you don't have to search far on the Internet to find utter hatred towards the Muslims, it was only 10 minutes ago I was looking on YouTube at news updates and the top comment was something on the lines of "The only way is to ban all Muslims.".

This is ridiculous. People are genuinely thinking these sort of things, and it's not even like its a joke or a rarity. It's relatively common on the Internet.

The Good Guy part - I like Muslims, I know several Muslims who are great friends and lovely, caring people. Banning Muslims is an outrageous thought.

So I'm curious, what do other people think about this attack on the Islamic faith? I hope you find these sort of people ridiculous, but it's seeming relatively common now. So what are your thoughts?

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

The attack of the Islamic faith on 22:26 - May 24 with 924 viewsGromheort

The attack of the Islamic faith on 22:13 - May 24 by Mullet

More likely dated and subject to the confines of his time and individual ability, but like Marx you can't ignore the impact even if the work becomes further from the current picture of society.

Regardless I still don't see anywhere along this tangent where you can really justify your initial claim with much strength.

More than just about the confines of time. The hypothesis just doesn't fit the data.

And my claim remains. The most aggressively anti-religious discipline is sociology. The other disciplines are much more positive, with nothing like the secularisation thesis being constantly chucked around.
The attack of the Islamic faith on 22:30 - May 24 with 908 viewsMullet

The attack of the Islamic faith on 22:26 - May 24 by Gromheort

More than just about the confines of time. The hypothesis just doesn't fit the data.

And my claim remains. The most aggressively anti-religious discipline is sociology. The other disciplines are much more positive, with nothing like the secularisation thesis being constantly chucked around.

Except it's not "sociology" it's at best one specific area of sociology. It's like confusing biology with science.

Let alone the notion that "the secularisation thesis being constantly checked around" applies to all sociological texts, most of them, all of the time. It's a nonsense and doesn't fit the way in which Sociology is studied, researched, taught or thought about by itself or wider society.

Feminists for example don't hinge their work upon it. Nor does the impact of sociological work hinge on the notion of secularisation even it was some magic universal like you keep suggesting.

In the nicest possible way, you're just wrong.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

The attack of the Islamic faith on 22:35 - May 24 with 896 viewsGromheort

The attack of the Islamic faith on 22:30 - May 24 by Mullet

Except it's not "sociology" it's at best one specific area of sociology. It's like confusing biology with science.

Let alone the notion that "the secularisation thesis being constantly checked around" applies to all sociological texts, most of them, all of the time. It's a nonsense and doesn't fit the way in which Sociology is studied, researched, taught or thought about by itself or wider society.

Feminists for example don't hinge their work upon it. Nor does the impact of sociological work hinge on the notion of secularisation even it was some magic universal like you keep suggesting.

In the nicest possible way, you're just wrong.

I never stated that sociology just meant anti-religion. I did refer to how the discipline is known for its anti-religion rhetoric. The secularisation hypothesis is a darn big clue for that.

Other disciplines are indeed more positive. The economists, for example, tend to try and embed it within the utility maximisation hypothesis. Crikey, Adam Smith himself sung and danced over religion within a market context.
The attack of the Islamic faith on 16:42 - May 25 with 827 viewsmos

The attack of the Islamic faith on 22:24 - May 24 by m14_blue

It's the same as when football hooligans cause trouble and they're always said to be 'not real fans'. It makes us feel better to distance ourselves from a group whose actions we despise but it doesn't always help to tackle the problem.

Football hooligans are football fans, islamic extremists are muslims. To acknowledge that link is not to hold all muslims accountable for these animals but to ignore or deny it altogether is ridiculous.

I'm afraid, that is an awful comparison.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024