Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The attack of the Islamic faith 18:40 - May 23 with 10260 viewsmos

Almost every terrorist attack of late has brought about a large wagon of people who decide that Muslims are to blame for the attack.
Their general reasoning is that the attacker is a Muslim; from which they have most likely determined from their name. Basically, it's a guess that the terrorist was from the Islamic faith.

And you don't have to search far on the Internet to find utter hatred towards the Muslims, it was only 10 minutes ago I was looking on YouTube at news updates and the top comment was something on the lines of "The only way is to ban all Muslims.".

This is ridiculous. People are genuinely thinking these sort of things, and it's not even like its a joke or a rarity. It's relatively common on the Internet.

The Good Guy part - I like Muslims, I know several Muslims who are great friends and lovely, caring people. Banning Muslims is an outrageous thought.

So I'm curious, what do other people think about this attack on the Islamic faith? I hope you find these sort of people ridiculous, but it's seeming relatively common now. So what are your thoughts?

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

The attack of the Islamic faith on 18:55 - May 23 with 4434 viewsBergholtBru

What do you think about this attack on innocent kids??

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

The attack of the Islamic faith on 18:56 - May 23 with 4428 viewsSarge

It's wrong and it's stupid. But the stupid are hard to educate.
The attack of the Islamic faith on 18:58 - May 23 with 4416 viewsSarge

The attack of the Islamic faith on 18:55 - May 23 by BergholtBru

It's wrong and horrific. Carried out by disgusting hate filled stupid people.. But stupid people are hard to educate.
The attack of the Islamic faith on 19:01 - May 23 with 4405 viewssparks

Whilst there are some who blindly make stupid comments, you are not (imo) giving appropriate credence and credit to the more nuanced and reasoned comments and arguments people make.

People dont guess that the terrorist was form the islamic faith- most, recently, are from that faith, and much of the trouble in the world currently has ISIS, Al Quaeda and similar organisations with similar ideologies at its heart. Those are overtly and agressively islamic organisations, basing much of their argument and behaviour on their interpretation of islamic doctrine.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

The attack of the Islamic faith on 19:10 - May 23 with 4367 viewsMullet

The attack of the Islamic faith on 19:01 - May 23 by sparks

Whilst there are some who blindly make stupid comments, you are not (imo) giving appropriate credence and credit to the more nuanced and reasoned comments and arguments people make.

People dont guess that the terrorist was form the islamic faith- most, recently, are from that faith, and much of the trouble in the world currently has ISIS, Al Quaeda and similar organisations with similar ideologies at its heart. Those are overtly and agressively islamic organisations, basing much of their argument and behaviour on their interpretation of islamic doctrine.

Whilst ignoring key parts, main teachings and tenets of said doctrine.

As one muslim girl put it today "I'm telling you, they're not Muslims. They can't be and do that". So the ignorance of nuance and not so nuanced works both ways and shouldn't be forgotten when pointing fingers.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

The attack of the Islamic faith on 19:14 - May 23 with 4337 viewssparks

The attack of the Islamic faith on 19:10 - May 23 by Mullet

As one muslim girl put it today "I'm telling you, they're not Muslims. They can't be and do that". So the ignorance of nuance and not so nuanced works both ways and shouldn't be forgotten when pointing fingers.

I don't think anyone with a brain would disagree with that.

It should be noted, though, that most segments of most religions will tell you that *they* have the interpretation right and the other lot have it wrong- and all of them pick and choose assorted tenets and teachings to fit their version, whilst ignoring others that do not.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

The attack of the Islamic faith on 19:14 - May 23 with 4338 viewsWeWereZombies

I have travelled in seven or so countries which are predominantly Muslim without incident (apart from getting caught up in the Arab Spring in 2011, but I have gone on at length about that on here and mostly people were indifferent towards us, they had their own problems) and without experiencing hostility (a woman on a bus in Jordan wanted to know why we were going to the Christian town of Madaba - that is about as hostile as it has got) so I can see that the vast majority of Muslims are, with the exception of following a different faith, pretty much like us. The 'backlash' against Muslims in Britain as a result of terror attacks is just the same as the prejudice against the Irish back in the 70s and 80s, divisive and it only makes things worse. If I knew a Muslim who wanted to go to a gig I would be happy to accompany them and to keep an eye out for any adverse treatment that they got from security or other gig goers.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

The attack of the Islamic faith on 19:15 - May 23 with 4322 viewsgiant_stow

Bully listen to that girl - she's right.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

The attack of the Islamic faith on 19:21 - May 23 with 4292 viewssparks

The attack of the Islamic faith on 19:14 - May 23 by WeWereZombies

I have travelled in seven or so countries which are predominantly Muslim without incident (apart from getting caught up in the Arab Spring in 2011, but I have gone on at length about that on here and mostly people were indifferent towards us, they had their own problems) and without experiencing hostility (a woman on a bus in Jordan wanted to know why we were going to the Christian town of Madaba - that is about as hostile as it has got) so I can see that the vast majority of Muslims are, with the exception of following a different faith, pretty much like us. The 'backlash' against Muslims in Britain as a result of terror attacks is just the same as the prejudice against the Irish back in the 70s and 80s, divisive and it only makes things worse. If I knew a Muslim who wanted to go to a gig I would be happy to accompany them and to keep an eye out for any adverse treatment that they got from security or other gig goers.

Most individual people are decent people. Backlash against a group who identify as a particular religion or come from a certain place is gnorant, stupid and divisive. I dont disagree with anything you say.

But we take a risk in underplaying the influence that genuine fervent belief in god's will (often following indoctrination) can have on people, and the way in which it can be used and manipulated, or can operate especially in places where freedom of speech or education are limited.
[Post edited 23 May 2017 19:22]

The attack of the Islamic faith on 19:24 - May 23 with 4267 viewsBergholtBru

The attack of the Islamic faith on 19:21 - May 23 by sparks

Most individual people are decent people. Backlash against a group who identify as a particular religion or come from a certain place is gnorant, stupid and divisive. I dont disagree with anything you say.

But we take a risk in underplaying the influence that genuine fervent belief in god's will (often following indoctrination) can have on people, and the way in which it can be used and manipulated, or can operate especially in places where freedom of speech or education are limited.

As I posted earlier, people will do anything if they believe God is on their side.

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

The attack of the Islamic faith on 19:25 - May 23 with 4263 viewssparks

The attack of the Islamic faith on 19:15 - May 23 by giant_stow

Bully listen to that girl - she's right.

How do you determine which religous belief is the correct one?

The attack of the Islamic faith on 19:27 - May 23 with 4251 viewsWeWereZombies

The attack of the Islamic faith on 19:21 - May 23 by sparks

I think you are being a little harsh on Tennessee in your second paragraph...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

The attack of the Islamic faith on 19:36 - May 23 with 4213 viewschristiand

Personally, I don't believe that Muslims do enough, within their own communities, to out these cowardly ar*eholes. They get upset when authorities rightly interfere, moan about the western world, but shock horror they invariably live here or in other modern societies of the west. Why stay? Generally, like most religions it's double standards based on a main fictional character with very little scientific proof of existence. I'm quite a tolerant person, and understand the need for a stiff upper-lip approach, but when is enough, indeed enough? When are Muslims going to be more accountable for their peer's actions and start actually helping to stop these atrocities? Stop hiding them, being defensive and obstructive after all we all live in the same country whether you like it or not! Hitler caused an uprising and look what happened there, it's about time we just wiped out these cowardly b*stards once and for all - like the world did to finally over throw Hitler's religious cleansing all those years ago.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:40 - May 23 with 4189 viewsfeelingblue

The attack of the Islamic faith on 19:01 - May 23 by sparks

All religions go through phases of fundamentalism, extremism and turn in on themselves. Sometimes that manifests itself in extreme violence and hatred towards others.

In the West Africa of my youth, the Muslims, with whom I grew up, practiced a very mild and liberal form of Islam. When I returned in the early '00s, I was shocked to see Islamic schools, women in hijabs and men with beards, all of which were unknown in the '50s and '60s. Then came Boko Haram, in exactly the peaceful, tolerant area in which I grew up.

Right now we are going through a phase in which at least two virulent and extreme versions of Islam are being exported around around the world.

And before anyone gets too comfortable, the same thing happened with Christianity several times.

I wish religion didn't exist.
[Post edited 23 May 2017 19:59]
The attack of the Islamic faith on 19:42 - May 23 with 4175 viewssparks

The attack of the Islamic faith on 19:36 - May 23 by christiand

Personally, I don't believe that Muslims do enough, within their own communities, to out these cowardly ar*eholes. They get upset when authorities rightly interfere, moan about the western world, but shock horror they invariably live here or in other modern societies of the west. Why stay? Generally, like most religions it's double standards based on a main fictional character with very little scientific proof of existence. I'm quite a tolerant person, and understand the need for a stiff upper-lip approach, but when is enough, indeed enough? When are Muslims going to be more accountable for their peer's actions and start actually helping to stop these atrocities? Stop hiding them, being defensive and obstructive after all we all live in the same country whether you like it or not! Hitler caused an uprising and look what happened there, it's about time we just wiped out these cowardly b*stards once and for all - like the world did to finally over throw Hitler's religious cleansing all those years ago.

From the outside I understand why you think that.

But its human nature. you feel under attack and criticised you close ranks and you put up barriers. We all do it instinctively. Its entirely natural and understandable. There is also the issue that they genuinely believe that the terrorists are simply not part of their faith or community.

It also ignores the things that many of these communities do do, which are seemingly badly under-reported.

The attack of the Islamic faith on 19:55 - May 23 with 4122 viewsnoggin

The attack of the Islamic faith on 18:55 - May 23 by BergholtBru

What do you think about the scores of muslim taxi drivers who switched of their metres and drove people home from the arena? What do you think of the muslims who have organised the vigil in Manchester this evening?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

The attack of the Islamic faith on 19:57 - May 23 with 4087 viewsLord_Lucan

The attack of the Islamic faith on 19:55 - May 23 by noggin

What do you think about the scores of muslim taxi drivers who switched of their metres and drove people home from the arena? What do you think of the muslims who have organised the vigil in Manchester this evening?

Very good point Sir.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The attack of the Islamic faith on 20:01 - May 23 with 4056 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The attack of the Islamic faith on 19:55 - May 23 by noggin

He will ignore this excellent fantastic pointnyoyve made.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

The attack of the Islamic faith on 20:02 - May 23 with 4050 viewsmos

I won't quote anyone, because I want to address everyone who replied, and I don't think there's a function for multi-quotes? There might be, don't know.

One of main things that my Muslim friends say when talking about the violence circling the world is that "The terrorists seen onn the news, are not Muslim, they are simply, terrorists." Which I fully agree with.

Being part of the Islamic faith means you are bound to a set of particular rules. True Muslims believe 3 things about going to war/causing violence. You can only go to war if:

Another nation is attacking you
The religion is being oppressed
Or in self-defence

And the war must be conducted properly - pretty much following the 'Just War Theory'.

Most Muslims feel they aren't being attacked, oppressed or in need to use self-defence, so therefore this terrorist attack on Manchester is a terrorist attack, he is not a Muslim.

Even if he has acted in one of those three ways, he has conducted his violence wrongly, first off, he killed non-combatants, and he killed children.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

The attack of the Islamic faith on 20:05 - May 23 with 4015 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

What we need is a Guantanamo to lock up any potential wrong uns
The attack of the Islamic faith on 20:14 - May 23 with 3953 viewsJ2BLUE

We will never win this battle by declaring war on Islam or banning Muslims (however the hell this would actually work). We'd be far better to acknowledge the terrorists are not Muslims. Muslims are welcome in this country (IMO). Terrorists aren't. They're not the same thing and people reacting as if they are will just make the problem worse.

You only have to look at the posters on the other side of the argument to know what is the right thing to do. Sorry if that sounds arrogant but we all know it's true.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The attack of the Islamic faith on 20:21 - May 23 with 3916 viewssparks

The attack of the Islamic faith on 20:02 - May 23 by mos

I won't quote anyone, because I want to address everyone who replied, and I don't think there's a function for multi-quotes? There might be, don't know.

One of main things that my Muslim friends say when talking about the violence circling the world is that "The terrorists seen onn the news, are not Muslim, they are simply, terrorists." Which I fully agree with.

Being part of the Islamic faith means you are bound to a set of particular rules. True Muslims believe 3 things about going to war/causing violence. You can only go to war if:

Another nation is attacking you
The religion is being oppressed
Or in self-defence

And the war must be conducted properly - pretty much following the 'Just War Theory'.

Most Muslims feel they aren't being attacked, oppressed or in need to use self-defence, so therefore this terrorist attack on Manchester is a terrorist attack, he is not a Muslim.

Even if he has acted in one of those three ways, he has conducted his violence wrongly, first off, he killed non-combatants, and he killed children.

Unfortunately, by denying the uncomfortable fact that the groups we are looking at are clearly motivated by their interpretation of islam, we risk avoiding getting to grips with the role religion plays in shaping attitudes and divides, and equally push the less thoughtful towards ractionary positions.

When you say "this is nothing to do with islam" you will get people who respond "this is PC gone mad, you cant even talk about the problem"- which brings its own problems.

I have to ask you who gets to decide what "true muslims" do. Its a fallacy. They believe they are true muslims the same as your friends do. Who gets to choose?

The attack of the Islamic faith on 20:21 - May 23 with 3905 viewssparks

The attack of the Islamic faith on 20:14 - May 23 by J2BLUE

We will never win this battle by declaring war on Islam or banning Muslims (however the hell this would actually work). We'd be far better to acknowledge the terrorists are not Muslims. Muslims are welcome in this country (IMO). Terrorists aren't. They're not the same thing and people reacting as if they are will just make the problem worse.

You only have to look at the posters on the other side of the argument to know what is the right thing to do. Sorry if that sounds arrogant but we all know it's true.

Quoting Theresa is unfortunate.

She appears to have been a pretty unpleasant character.

The attack of the Islamic faith on 20:36 - May 23 with 3835 viewsgiant_stow

The attack of the Islamic faith on 20:21 - May 23 by sparks

Unfortunately, by denying the uncomfortable fact that the groups we are looking at are clearly motivated by their interpretation of islam, we risk avoiding getting to grips with the role religion plays in shaping attitudes and divides, and equally push the less thoughtful towards ractionary positions.

When you say "this is nothing to do with islam" you will get people who respond "this is PC gone mad, you cant even talk about the problem"- which brings its own problems.

I have to ask you who gets to decide what "true muslims" do. Its a fallacy. They believe they are true muslims the same as your friends do. Who gets to choose?

Muslims?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

The attack of the Islamic faith on 20:38 - May 23 with 3826 viewspatrickswell

Having seen it at the weekend finally, I would encourage people to watch HyperNormalisation on the BBC iPlayer, not least for an insight about how suicide bombing went from being a military tactic to a terrorist one - and how it polarised Islam, especially in reference to its use by Hamas.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024