Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, Joe Garner then. 12:23 - May 24 with 9303 viewsGeoffSentence

Anyone know anything about him beyond what the EADT have put in their article?

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town-transfer-rumour-blues-ready-to-make-500

Rangers payed £1.4m and we are reputed to be ready to pay £500K. Would that make him a bargain? Or reflect that he hasn't done so well up there.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

So, Joe Garner then. on 12:26 - May 24 with 7022 viewsKieran_Knows

Although quite short, from what I recall he's quite decent in the air and does run in behind the defence etc. Not quite a big target man like Murph was, but he'd do a similar job.

I'd say 500k-750k would be about the right price.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

So, Joe Garner then. on 12:36 - May 24 with 6963 viewsStenvict

He was an absolute pest a couple of years ago for Preston against us at Deepdale.

Very good in the air for someone so small.

Poll: What will be announced first?

So, Joe Garner then. on 12:40 - May 24 with 6941 viewsKitman

any relation to Bill Garner that played for Southend and Chelsea in the 70's?

Blog: [Blog] Interesting Start to the New Season

So, Joe Garner then. on 12:47 - May 24 with 6914 viewsPhilTWTD

What was in our earlier story and in this thread, obviously!

http://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/406320/town-linked-with-move-for-rangers-striker#406
So, Joe Garner then. on 12:50 - May 24 with 6895 viewsASAx

I've always seen him as a top League One striker and one capable of having a 20 goal a season campaign in the Championship if everything went right for him in terms of system, team mates etc, otherwise a 6-8 goal a season man at this level more often that not.

Not massively exciting but in reality Joe Garner is probably an Ipswich quality player if you look at what we are now, mid-bottom Championship.

As I predicted yesterday, we've been linked to another player that had one outstanding game against us.
So, Joe Garner then. on 12:58 - May 24 with 6838 viewsBlue_Order

A grafter, decent in the air, moans a lot, can't finish, wears a headband.

He's been awful at Rangers, but would probably suit us. Was a strange signing by Warburton considering his strengths are all in the air, yet Warburtons way was all on the floor and no crosses.

Rangers paid well over the odds for him (£1.8m, I think) so would probably be wanting more than £500k, but then they're actively trying to punt all of MW's duds so maybe they'll accept whatever it is they still owe Preston and cut their losses.

I'd take him just so we can steal their song for him.
So, Joe Garner then. on 12:59 - May 24 with 6837 viewsGeoffSentence

So, Joe Garner then. on 12:47 - May 24 by PhilTWTD

What was in our earlier story and in this thread, obviously!

http://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/406320/town-linked-with-move-for-rangers-striker#406

I hide all the NewsTWTD threads, they just clog up the board. What I am really looking for is opinion from people who know what they are on about.

So, Joe Garner then. on 13:03 - May 24 with 6812 viewsGeoffSentence

So, Joe Garner then. on 12:58 - May 24 by Blue_Order

A grafter, decent in the air, moans a lot, can't finish, wears a headband.

He's been awful at Rangers, but would probably suit us. Was a strange signing by Warburton considering his strengths are all in the air, yet Warburtons way was all on the floor and no crosses.

Rangers paid well over the odds for him (£1.8m, I think) so would probably be wanting more than £500k, but then they're actively trying to punt all of MW's duds so maybe they'll accept whatever it is they still owe Preston and cut their losses.

I'd take him just so we can steal their song for him.

Wears a headband? What sort of headband? A sweatband like Ian Cranson used to wear? Or some softy Alice band type of thing.

If he was a defender who wore a proper sweaty headband that would seal the deal for me, proper defenders were proper sweaty headbands. But I am not sure how I feel about forwards wearing them.

And if it is an Alice band, deal off.

Login to get fewer ads

So, Joe Garner then. on 13:07 - May 24 with 6772 viewsPhilTWTD

So, Joe Garner then. on 12:59 - May 24 by GeoffSentence

I hide all the NewsTWTD threads, they just clog up the board. What I am really looking for is opinion from people who know what they are on about.

Read the news on the frontpage then!
So, Joe Garner then. on 13:09 - May 24 with 6750 viewsbluewein

So, Joe Garner then. on 13:03 - May 24 by GeoffSentence

Wears a headband? What sort of headband? A sweatband like Ian Cranson used to wear? Or some softy Alice band type of thing.

If he was a defender who wore a proper sweaty headband that would seal the deal for me, proper defenders were proper sweaty headbands. But I am not sure how I feel about forwards wearing them.

And if it is an Alice band, deal off.

Yopu really don't touch the news pages, do you..?

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/31713/town-linked-with-move-for-rangers-

Proper sweaty, innit?

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

So, Joe Garner then. on 13:11 - May 24 with 6736 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

If he can do something like this, just once...

So, Joe Garner then. on 13:12 - May 24 with 6739 viewsbluewein

Preston supporting mate can't believe they got £1.5 million for him.

Echoed what Asa said. Top League 1 player, has the potential to do well in the Champ, but they didn't really get to see it from him. £500,000 sounds about right.

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

So, Joe Garner then. on 13:17 - May 24 with 6704 viewsRadlett_blue

So, Joe Garner then. on 13:11 - May 24 by DropCliffsNotBombs

After seeing that, I thought - Cor, if he can do that every week - and then saw his ridiculous celebration, which almost completely negates the quality of the goal.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

So, Joe Garner then. on 13:18 - May 24 with 6688 viewsASAx

He only does that in the playoffs so we are unlikely to see it.
So, Joe Garner then. on 14:05 - May 24 with 6562 viewsGeoffSentence

His first touch took him a bit wide, still an excellent goal. 11/13 from me.

So, Joe Garner then. on 14:06 - May 24 with 6547 viewsGeoffSentence

So, Joe Garner then. on 13:09 - May 24 by bluewein

Yopu really don't touch the news pages, do you..?

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/31713/town-linked-with-move-for-rangers-

Proper sweaty, innit?

Not so much since I ignored NewsTWTD. Maybe I should pay a bit more attention.

So, Joe Garner then. on 14:19 - May 24 with 6510 viewsSteve_M

So, Joe Garner then. on 12:59 - May 24 by GeoffSentence

You want News Comments then.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

So, Joe Garner then. on 14:20 - May 24 with 6503 viewsKeaneish

What does "being ready to sign him" even mean?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

So, Joe Garner then. on 14:58 - May 24 with 6440 viewsDotCotton

Personally, i would'nt take him on a free, let alone 500k.

i work with a few Rangers fans so have had the pleasure of watching a few Rangers games this season. All he does is either commit fouls.. or get really wound up when things aren't going his way....

So it's a no from me.
So, Joe Garner then. on 15:32 - May 24 with 6389 viewspnecha

Garner is a PNE legend for all his goals and antics in League 1 with us. He is a magnificent striker at that level who is easily capable of 25-30 goals. He is also dirty and a leader and a real pain to play against.

However, he probably just wasn't good enough for the Championship. The service wasn't as good but he wasn't getting the better of the defenders a level up from League 1. His diving/dirty antics just started to look pathetic and a bit desperate because he was rarely scoring. He scored 6, and 2 of them were pens, 2 of them headers from corners. He played nearly all the games yet only scored 2 from open play, so wasn't really a goal threat at all sadly.

Added to his poor Championship record with other clubs, and it does suggest he's not good enough. Hugill, whilst worse technically, has outshone him since we sold him and is faster, stronger, and a greater goal threat even though he isn't particularly clinical.

I could see this one happening as there are rumours at our end that he isn't very happy at Rangers and may be available, and you've been rumoured to have been interested in the past too.

You'll be getting a fighter/warrior if he joins, but don't expect many goals.
So, Joe Garner then. on 16:55 - May 24 with 6296 viewsNo9

So, Joe Garner then. on 15:32 - May 24 by pnecha

Garner is a PNE legend for all his goals and antics in League 1 with us. He is a magnificent striker at that level who is easily capable of 25-30 goals. He is also dirty and a leader and a real pain to play against.

However, he probably just wasn't good enough for the Championship. The service wasn't as good but he wasn't getting the better of the defenders a level up from League 1. His diving/dirty antics just started to look pathetic and a bit desperate because he was rarely scoring. He scored 6, and 2 of them were pens, 2 of them headers from corners. He played nearly all the games yet only scored 2 from open play, so wasn't really a goal threat at all sadly.

Added to his poor Championship record with other clubs, and it does suggest he's not good enough. Hugill, whilst worse technically, has outshone him since we sold him and is faster, stronger, and a greater goal threat even though he isn't particularly clinical.

I could see this one happening as there are rumours at our end that he isn't very happy at Rangers and may be available, and you've been rumoured to have been interested in the past too.

Sounds just like an MM type player?
So, Joe Garner then. on 17:25 - May 24 with 6256 viewsitfcinwales

Didnt he also smash one in on the volley from near enough the half way line in the league one playoffs a couple of years ago
So, Joe Garner then. on 19:18 - May 24 with 6146 viewsGeoffSentence

So, Joe Garner then. on 13:07 - May 24 by PhilTWTD

Read the news on the frontpage then!

What? Isn't this the front page?

So, Joe Garner then. on 19:39 - May 24 with 6103 viewsDennyx4

So, Joe Garner then. on 15:32 - May 24 by pnecha

Sounds very similar to Luke Varney - grafter, but not many goals.
So, Joe Garner then. on 20:32 - May 24 with 6043 viewsMullet

Looked incredibly handy when he scored past us.

Think we'd be getting him with a few question marks over him, given he didn't seem to deliver since leaving PNE.

I'm not a huge fan, but would happily see him here. More akin to Ward than most of the other links I think.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024