Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... 13:44 - May 24 with 11515 viewsRoyKeanesDog

IRA members committing acts of terrorism in name of their religion, and ISIS members committing acts of terrorism in the name of their religion?

Thankfully I am too young to remember the IRA attacks, but I have grown up with ISIS and other Muslim extremists, and I am able to appreciate that they do not represent the religion.

It may help me that I have grown up with Muslims, and lived in cosmopolitan cities so I can see how the Muslim community live their life in peace, and accommodate to our community.

Poll: Best Football Song

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 13:49 - May 24 with 5939 viewsPendejo

No, and Yes.

IRA were never really interested in becoming martyrs unless they felt it would "humiliate" the government - refer to Bobby Sands & the hunger strikers.

Bombs often involved coded warnings before detonation and targets were mainly military or financial.

They were also a form of mafia intimidating businesses into paying protection money [some businesses had to pay both sides due to their location] and also carried out summary punishments on people they felt had committed crimes [knee capping].

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 13:54 - May 24 with 5922 viewslowhouseblue

it's interesting that I don't remember the ira's terrorism leading to much fear / suspicion / mistrust of the irish catholic community. I think in the general public mind there was a much clearer separation between the terrorists and the community they came out of than there seems to be now. but perhaps I'm wrong?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 14:00 - May 24 with 5886 viewsDolly2.0

The main difference is the IRA wanted to achieve a very obvious and tangible thing, an independent Irish republic. ISIS just want to spread terror. As far as I'm aware they don't actually want a specific thing that we could give them and stop the terrorism..

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 14:05 - May 24 with 5856 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 13:54 - May 24 by lowhouseblue

it's interesting that I don't remember the ira's terrorism leading to much fear / suspicion / mistrust of the irish catholic community. I think in the general public mind there was a much clearer separation between the terrorists and the community they came out of than there seems to be now. but perhaps I'm wrong?

I think you have a point that it how it is perceived, but if you look at the black and white facts I don't see a difference.

ISIS attackers do not represent Islam, just like IRA did not represent Catholicism. It's a shame people don't see that.

Poll: Best Football Song

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 14:09 - May 24 with 5844 viewsmonytowbray

Huge difference. IRA committed terrorism as they were treated as second class citizens in their own country. ISIS commit terrorism as they interpret it as the duty from their religious texts.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 14:23 - May 24 with 5782 viewsSteve_M

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 14:00 - May 24 by Dolly2.0

The main difference is the IRA wanted to achieve a very obvious and tangible thing, an independent Irish republic. ISIS just want to spread terror. As far as I'm aware they don't actually want a specific thing that we could give them and stop the terrorism..

The desire for a new caliphate is a central part of Islamist ideology, IS claimed to have achieved that briefly a couple of years back.

I would agree that the extent of land they want to claim is not going to be achieved but there is a tangible goal underneath that, the clash of civilisations narrative is intended as a means to that end.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 14:29 - May 24 with 5759 viewsconnorscontract

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 14:00 - May 24 by Dolly2.0

The history of what is known as "The Troubles" included periods when peace talks were close, but paramilitary action from the Loyalist side against very soft targets indeed re-inflamed the situation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shankill_Butchers

Then you have collusion between the Royal Ulster Constabulary and the Loyalist terror groups. Police files on suspected Republican sympathisers are alleged to have been passed over.

Then you have Thatcher refusing to negotiate, and a hardening on both sides, plus factionalisation of the Republican terror groups which led to "softer" targets being attacked.

When you bear in mind that the 60's-90's Troubles were initially started by peaceful protestors being shot by soldiers in the street. (leaving to one side the possibility that an IRA sniper *may* have fired) it also doesn't add up to a parallel, in addition to the point you make, which refers specifically to ISIS and their followers, but not so much to AL Qaeda (who did have specific aims (to get US airbases out of Saudi Arabia) (which they achieved)) or to Palestinian suicide bombers in Israel.
Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 14:29 - May 24 with 5759 viewsEireannach_gorm

The IRA / UDA atrocities against Catholics /Protestants was not in the name of religion. Historically Ulster had been the most resistant to British control and various monarchs had tried military action with mixed results. At this time Ireland was predominately a catholic country. As a means of gaining control of this rebellious area a form of ethnic cleansing took place in the 16 hundreds known as the Plantation of Ulster. http://www.irishidentity.com/stories/ulster.htm
The new arrivals were mainly Scottish Presbyterian. So this is why the Catholic population supported a united Ireland and Protestants had their allegiance to Britain. So it was not a religious conflict as such. Many famous Irish Nationalists were Protestant ( Robert Emmet, Wolfe Tone, Erskine Childers).
[Post edited 24 May 2017 14:42]
Login to get fewer ads

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 14:42 - May 24 with 5716 viewsLord_Lucan

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 14:09 - May 24 by monytowbray

Huge difference. IRA committed terrorism as they were treated as second class citizens in their own country. ISIS commit terrorism as they interpret it as the duty from their religious texts.

You have just confirmed that in fact you know very little.

[Post edited 24 May 2017 18:03]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 14:51 - May 24 with 5644 viewsThePitBoss

Mince around Tower hamlets for a bit and see how the community accommodates you there.
Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 14:54 - May 24 with 5623 viewsmonytowbray

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 14:42 - May 24 by Lord_Lucan

Go on then, educate me.

TWTD never forgets…

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 14:57 - May 24 with 5602 viewslowhouseblue

they had different objectives but their methods were the same.

the ira had the option of pursuing their objectives through the political process - as the sdlp did - but they instead chose violence and murder.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 14:58 - May 24 with 5597 viewsArcher4721

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 14:54 - May 24 by monytowbray

Go on then, educate me.

This should be good...

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 14:58 - May 24 with 5592 viewsSwansea_Blue

ISIS want to achieve a very tangible thing too, but theirs is about expansionism on a vast scale whereas the IRA was much more focussed.

This link was posted earlier and examines in some detail the things ISIS want and how they go about it:
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/03/what-isis-really-wants/3849

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 14:59 - May 24 with 5580 viewsartsbossbeard

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 14:51 - May 24 by ThePitBoss

Mince around Tower hamlets for a bit and see how the community accommodates you there.

What does this even mean?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 15:01 - May 24 with 5568 viewsmonytowbray

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 14:51 - May 24 by ThePitBoss

LOL.

Have you actually been to Tower Hamlets?!

TWTD never forgets…

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 15:03 - May 24 with 5548 viewsartsbossbeard

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 15:01 - May 24 by monytowbray

LOL.

Yes

Just wondering what the inference was.

LOL. Jeez.

EDIT: Replied to wrong person, my error. Apologies.
[Post edited 24 May 2017 15:23]

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 15:06 - May 24 with 5526 viewsWD19

I do. Regularly.....

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 15:08 - May 24 with 5511 viewsCoastalblue

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 15:01 - May 24 by monytowbray

LOL.

I actually live in Tower Hamlets and I don't have the faintest idea what you are on about?

Got another agenda to push?

Edit: Sorry Callis quoted wrong post.
[Post edited 24 May 2017 15:09]

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 15:09 - May 24 with 5488 viewsmonytowbray

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 15:08 - May 24 by Coastalblue

I actually live in Tower Hamlets and I don't have the faintest idea what you are on about?

Got another agenda to push?

Edit: Sorry Callis quoted wrong post.
[Post edited 24 May 2017 15:09]

No, I was questioning the agenda of PitBoss.

TWTD never forgets…

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 15:09 - May 24 with 5491 viewsLord_Lucan

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 14:54 - May 24 by monytowbray

Go on then, educate me.

I told you before. You can read as much as you like and you can listen to people as much as you like but you will mainly get loaded answers depending on what side of the divide you are on. To really understand it you would have needed to be living in NI at the time and even then you would have opposite opinions depending on your religion. I notice we have a loaded answer on a previous post on this thread. .

Both sides were ridiculous at times, really ridiculous, and both sides turned to protection and drugs, mini mafia organisations. Any original ideals were long gone.

The answer - there never really was one. Were Catholics treated as second class citizens? Yes in some areas, that is why The British Army were sent in, to restore calm and protect The Catholics. It turned to sh1t as both sides had an agenda.

They were all as bad as each other, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, even your ex girlfriend.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 15:10 - May 24 with 5478 viewsCoastalblue

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 15:09 - May 24 by monytowbray

No, I was questioning the agenda of PitBoss.

Yes sorry, that's who I meant to quote.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 15:13 - May 24 with 5454 viewsmonytowbray

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 15:09 - May 24 by Lord_Lucan

I told you before. You can read as much as you like and you can listen to people as much as you like but you will mainly get loaded answers depending on what side of the divide you are on. To really understand it you would have needed to be living in NI at the time and even then you would have opposite opinions depending on your religion. I notice we have a loaded answer on a previous post on this thread. .

Both sides were ridiculous at times, really ridiculous, and both sides turned to protection and drugs, mini mafia organisations. Any original ideals were long gone.

The answer - there never really was one. Were Catholics treated as second class citizens? Yes in some areas, that is why The British Army were sent in, to restore calm and protect The Catholics. It turned to sh1t as both sides had an agenda.

They were all as bad as each other, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, even your ex girlfriend.

I never said Catholics were innocent, I just answered the question of the difference between ISIS and the IRA. I still stand by that; the IRA had a very different goal and motivation than ISIS.

TWTD never forgets…

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 15:13 - May 24 with 5450 viewshomer_123

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 15:09 - May 24 by Lord_Lucan

Well LL, I'd say that was spot on: Both sides were ridiculous at times, really ridiculous, and both sides turned to protection and drugs, mini mafia organisations. Any original ideals were long gone.

And pertinent to many a recent 'situation' as well.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 15:15 - May 24 with 5438 viewsunbelievablue

Does anybody genuinely see any real difference between... on 14:42 - May 24 by Lord_Lucan

On both counts.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024