Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oil Vs LPG heating 13:59 - May 24 with 1319 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

Any heating experts in?

Mid-terraced Victorian house which is using oil currently for heating and hot water. 30 year old boiler has finally given up the ghost and the plumber is suggesting we convert to LPG. We don't meet the criteria for a tank, so we'd be on a "cross over"system involving 4 x 47kg cylinders which are replaced as and when they run out.

We use about 1,500 litres of oil a year which costs us (based on current prices) about £530/year. The boiler is probably rather inefficient due to its age.

It would obviously be beneficial to have a cheaper, indoor, boiler compared to having an external oil boiler and we'd be able to get rid of the tank...but what sort of costs should I expect with this new LPG set up?
Oil Vs LPG heating on 14:03 - May 24 with 1304 viewsReuser_is_God

I'm not sure on costs but I'd definitely go with the LPG system, it'll save you in the long run.

Plus when/if you come to sell the house it'll be to your benefit to have a more modern (& common) system.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Oil Vs LPG heating on 14:09 - May 24 with 1275 viewshampstead_blue

Have you looked at solar panels for heating water?

We're going through that at the moment on a place in Wiltshire. We're using a company called "Discreet Heat" from Yorkshire.

Worth a look if only to keep the bills down a bit.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Oil Vs LPG heating on 14:21 - May 24 with 1264 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

Oil Vs LPG heating on 14:09 - May 24 by hampstead_blue

Have you looked at solar panels for heating water?

We're going through that at the moment on a place in Wiltshire. We're using a company called "Discreet Heat" from Yorkshire.

Worth a look if only to keep the bills down a bit.

It imagine that wouldn't be worth it for us because we actually use next to no hot water... only one bathroom and the shower is electric.

There are only two of us with no plans of mini people.
Oil Vs LPG heating on 14:44 - May 24 with 1243 viewsfabian_illness

LPG is more expensive to run than oil.
You'll be getting through those bottles fairly.
Oil Vs LPG heating on 16:42 - May 24 with 1199 viewsNo9

Normally to use LPG to heat your water & house you would need to have a certified tank which would not be yours and would tie you in to one supplier.

Before you do anything more call up a few who advertise LPG installtions in your area and get some ideas on terms & conditions + costs. Whenever I have looked into LPG it has never come out as an economic option.

As one of the other posters says shop around for various options BUT beware many of the people out there are in the 'Double Glazing' catagory when it comes to honesty & integrity.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024