Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sarah's law 15:32 - May 24 with 3475 viewstextbackup

I may be wide of the mark with what I'm saying here, purely as I've not done the research into it, however I believed Sarah's law was brought in so that parents could recognise a threat to their child within their neighbourhood/town etc (if I'm wrong please correct me)

Now, if there's 3500 on a terrorist watch list, they are watched for a reason, could this list be incredibly important to us all? So could they advise of threats in your area?

Just an idea

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Sarah's law on 15:34 - May 24 with 2581 viewsDanTheMan

Think that's for convicted sex offenders.

I doubt the security services are going to want to let people know who is on their watch list. It would be very easy for a friend of someone who wished to do harm to work out if they were being watched and then try and disappear.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Sarah's law on 15:36 - May 24 with 2571 viewsSteve_M

Part of the idea of watch lists is to allow the police and security services to gather intelligence, either to the extent that they build a solid case to convict people of terrorism offences or so that they can foil plots.

That is a difference between protecting against paedophiles compared to protecting against terrorists and arguably Sarah's law was brought in to assuage the tabloids and demonstrate that something was being done.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Sarah's law on 15:41 - May 24 with 2545 viewstextbackup

Sarah's law on 15:36 - May 24 by Steve_M

Part of the idea of watch lists is to allow the police and security services to gather intelligence, either to the extent that they build a solid case to convict people of terrorism offences or so that they can foil plots.

That is a difference between protecting against paedophiles compared to protecting against terrorists and arguably Sarah's law was brought in to assuage the tabloids and demonstrate that something was being done.

Yeah that makes sense.

Would just be a nice heads up tho
'People of Manchester we have x suspects we are tracking, specially in area X, please stay safe'

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Sarah's law on 15:45 - May 24 with 2528 viewsunbelievablue

Practically speaking, that would be disastrous. It just doesn't work in the same way. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Sarah's law about knowledge of previously convicted sex offenders?

Letting people know that there are potential radicals in their community, under surveillance, would be kerazy. It could compromise ongoing CT operations at a minimum.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Sarah's law on 15:50 - May 24 with 2501 viewsGuthrum

Sarah's law on 15:41 - May 24 by textbackup

Yeah that makes sense.

'People of Manchester we have x suspects we are tracking, specially in area X, please stay safe'

Problem is, that's likely to alert the suspects, making them more careful with their own security and harder to track, or even push them into precipitate action (as with the Brussels Airport attack, launched prematurely when the group were spooked by police raids).

Plus it alarms the public, possibly unnecessarily if no plot actually develops. Then there is the danger that it will lead to speculation, abuse against individuals and (often poorly-targeted) vigilantism.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Sarah's law on 15:51 - May 24 with 2496 viewsDanTheMan

Sarah's law on 15:50 - May 24 by Guthrum

Problem is, that's likely to alert the suspects, making them more careful with their own security and harder to track, or even push them into precipitate action (as with the Brussels Airport attack, launched prematurely when the group were spooked by police raids).

Plus it alarms the public, possibly unnecessarily if no plot actually develops. Then there is the danger that it will lead to speculation, abuse against individuals and (often poorly-targeted) vigilantism.

And then if people hear it all the time that they need to be vigilant, it would probably end up with the opposite effect.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Sarah's law on 16:00 - May 24 with 2448 viewsJ2BLUE

Sarah's law on 15:41 - May 24 by textbackup

Yeah that makes sense.

Then the suspects get out of area x in record time, possibly scattering in many directions or heading back to Syria etc until it all dies down a bit.

It's a terrible idea. Good intentions, awful idea.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Sarah's law on 16:00 - May 24 with 2438 viewsfactual_blue

This would also of course give suspected terrorists to see if they were under surveillance.

And there's the possibility of vigilantism.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Sarah's law on 16:02 - May 24 with 2437 viewsLuk38644

What does being on this 'watchlist' actually mean?

Obviously, the assumption is that they're 'being watched' but how could we allow someone on this watchlist to travel to Libya and then come back and blow up 22 people without any restriction whatsoever?
Sarah's law on 16:02 - May 24 with 2428 viewsfactual_blue

Sarah's law on 15:36 - May 24 by Steve_M

These are the same tabloids who happily use images of little girls who are 'all grown up' for commercial gain.

Well, I assume it's for commercial gain, and not because dacre himself has paedophile tendencies.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Sarah's law on 16:03 - May 24 with 2425 viewsGuthrum

Sarah's law on 16:02 - May 24 by Luk38644

Obviously, the assumption is that they're 'being watched' but how could we allow someone on this watchlist to travel to Libya and then come back and blow up 22 people without any restriction whatsoever?

If they've done nothing illegal, how do you stop them?

Sarah's law on 16:08 - May 24 with 2415 viewsunbelievablue

Sarah's law on 16:02 - May 24 by Luk38644

Elaborate on 'allow' in that sentence.

Sarah's law on 16:10 - May 24 with 2407 viewsLuk38644

Sarah's law on 16:03 - May 24 by Guthrum

If they've done nothing illegal, how do you stop them?

I'm not claiming to know the answer, I'm genuinely inquisitive regarding what further can be done. If these people are known to authorities, surely there is something further that can be done to help prevent these disasters?
Sarah's law on 16:10 - May 24 with 2400 viewshype313

Sarah's law on 16:10 - May 24 by Luk38644

I'm not claiming to know the answer, I'm genuinely inquisitive regarding what further can be done. If these people are known to authorities, surely there is something further that can be done to help prevent these disasters?

We can't, otherwise we will end up doing a Guantanamo

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

on 16:11 - May 24 with 2405 views_

Sarah's law on 16:13 - May 24 with 2394 viewsunbelievablue

Do you genuinely not have anything in mind? Practically speaking, I really can't see what else can be done at THAT stage. More needs to be done prior to then, to prevent that initial alienation and radicalisation.

Sarah's law on 16:14 - May 24 with 2386 viewsGuthrum

Mostly just keep a very close eye on them, their contacts and networks. Look for patterns which might indicate something is brewing. Gather evidence (vital in any legal action). Stay vigilant. Hope nothing slips through.

Sarah's law on 16:21 - May 24 with 2356 viewshomer_123

on 16:11 - May 24 by _

Well, they can hardly go telling everyone what they know now can they...what did you expect?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Sarah's law on 16:27 - May 24 with 2343 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Sarah's Law isn't a tool to find out if the bloke down the road is dodgy and if your children shouldn't go near his house.

It's for when someone has unsupervised access to your child or a child for whom you have a legal duty of care etc, and you want to apply to find out if said child should be in their unsupervised care or not.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Sarah's law on 16:29 - May 24 with 2326 viewsblue_oyster

Why are people so keen to create a secret police state?

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Sarah's law on 16:39 - May 24 with 2300 viewsGuthrum

Sarah's law on 16:29 - May 24 by blue_oyster

Why are people so keen to create a secret police state?

Because I'd rather we didn't get to a position where this kind of thing happens more often. Security services (covert and otherwise) are absolutely necessary in some form - unless you believe the threats to the country are entirely imaginary.

And as long as it's effective, not used for political oppression and governed by the rule of law, it is a good thing.

on 17:28 - May 24 with 2228 views_

Sarah's law on 16:21 - May 24 by homer_123

Well, they can hardly go telling everyone what they know now can they...what did you expect?

Sarah's law on 17:33 - May 24 with 2201 viewsJ2BLUE

on 17:28 - May 24 by _

Why did you go on it? Work?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Sarah's law on 18:21 - May 24 with 2123 viewsPaganBlue

on 16:11 - May 24 by _

I work in education, and am Safeguarding Lead for our institution. I've been on a few different Prevent courses and workshops, and have found them really interesting. It sounds as though mine have been the complete opposite to yours - I've always been amazed at how much information has been shared. I also deliver WRAP training to other staff, and don't think I've ever mentioned beards! I actually focus a lot more on right-wing extremism, which is much more of a problem in our area.
Sarah's law on 18:32 - May 24 with 2100 viewsblue_oyster

Sarah's law on 16:39 - May 24 by Guthrum

Because I'd rather we didn't get to a position where this kind of thing happens more often. Security services (covert and otherwise) are absolutely necessary in some form - unless you believe the threats to the country are entirely imaginary.

And as long as it's effective, not used for political oppression and governed by the rule of law, it is a good thing.

You have so much faith in things you know nothing about.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024