Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Email and password traded online? 09:15 - May 25 with 2830 viewsSwailsey

Just had this worrying email from Experian. Has anyone had this happen before?

Other than changing my password, are there any other tips?

--

"Our DataPatrol software has found a match to your email address during our monitoring of compromised data being illegally traded on the internet.

To protect this email account, we recommend changing your password as soon as possible. We would also recommend changing the password for all other on-line accounts or services that you use the same email address or password to access.

We would also recommend that you regularly change your passwords for your on-line services, possibly every 30 days for example.

For security reason's I am unable to see what password has been found or the exact location.

This may be your email address alongside what is believed to be a password but it may not be your exact password (we do not know your passwords)."

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Email and password traded online? on 09:16 - May 25 with 2818 viewsartsbossbeard

Didn't Lucan have this last week?

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Email and password traded online? on 09:17 - May 25 with 2811 viewsSwailsey

Email and password traded online? on 09:16 - May 25 by artsbossbeard

Didn't Lucan have this last week?

Oh really?

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Email and password traded online? on 09:20 - May 25 with 2798 viewsartsbossbeard

Email and password traded online? on 09:17 - May 25 by Swailsey

Oh really?

Yep, can't remember the outcome but facters posted something on the thread too.

Might well be worth having a scour back on Lucan & Factual posts.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Email and password traded online? on 09:22 - May 25 with 2789 viewsfactual_blue

Email and password traded online? on 09:20 - May 25 by artsbossbeard

Yep, can't remember the outcome but facters posted something on the thread too.

Might well be worth having a scour back on Lucan & Factual posts.

Can't remember exactly where I found it, but it was basically a link saying the emails are genuine and from Experian.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Email and password traded online? on 09:30 - May 25 with 2746 viewsSwailsey

Email and password traded online? on 09:22 - May 25 by factual_blue

Can't remember exactly where I found it, but it was basically a link saying the emails are genuine and from Experian.

Thanks both

Email and password traded online? on 09:40 - May 25 with 2720 viewsITFC1983

Email and password traded online? on 09:30 - May 25 by Swailsey

Thanks both

http://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/406093/

Facters web link here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5221424
[Post edited 25 May 2017 9:41]

Poll: £16m Mario Balotelli or £11m Ross McCormack or £FREE* David McGoldrick

Email and password traded online? on 09:44 - May 25 with 2701 viewsSwailsey

Email and password traded online? on 09:40 - May 25 by ITFC1983

http://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/406093/

Facters web link here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5221424
[Post edited 25 May 2017 9:41]

Bingo! Thanks

Email and password traded online? on 09:46 - May 25 with 2695 viewsDanTheMan

As for changing your password, I'd suggest getting yourself a password manager and using a different password per site.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

Email and password traded online? on 09:51 - May 25 with 2682 viewsSwailsey

Email and password traded online? on 09:46 - May 25 by DanTheMan

As for changing your password, I'd suggest getting yourself a password manager and using a different password per site.

I was thinking that.

I was just going to use a random password generator and keep a record of it. I was tempted by Last Pass, but surely if that becomes compromised, then it's a nightmare?

Email and password traded online? on 09:53 - May 25 with 2673 viewsDanTheMan

Email and password traded online? on 09:51 - May 25 by Swailsey

I was thinking that.

I was just going to use a random password generator and keep a record of it. I was tempted by Last Pass, but surely if that becomes compromised, then it's a nightmare?

That's the trade off with password managers, but assuming they store the passwords in the correct fashion (which they do) then even if the passwords were leaked, it would take years for them to break through more than a few of them.

Pros outweight the cons in my opinion.

There are local alternatives like KeyPass, but they I'm not sure how well they sync up with your phone for example.

Email and password traded online? on 10:01 - May 25 with 2647 viewsSwailsey

Email and password traded online? on 09:53 - May 25 by DanTheMan

That's the trade off with password managers, but assuming they store the passwords in the correct fashion (which they do) then even if the passwords were leaked, it would take years for them to break through more than a few of them.

Pros outweight the cons in my opinion.

There are local alternatives like KeyPass, but they I'm not sure how well they sync up with your phone for example.

Thanks for the tips.

Which one do you use if you don't mind me asking?

Email and password traded online? on 10:02 - May 25 with 2640 viewsDanTheMan

Email and password traded online? on 10:01 - May 25 by Swailsey

Thanks for the tips.

Which one do you use if you don't mind me asking?

LastPass. Have a personal account and our company uses it too.

Email and password traded online? on 10:08 - May 25 with 2629 viewsSwailsey

Email and password traded online? on 10:02 - May 25 by DanTheMan

LastPass. Have a personal account and our company uses it too.

Ah great stuff, thank you. I'll look into that now.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024