Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ahhh, so they want to ban the burka to help people get more vitamin D! 15:46 - May 25 with 3769 viewsmonytowbray

And here I was thinking it was because they were a bit racist.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Ahhh, so they want to ban the burka to help people get more vitamin D! on 17:32 - May 25 with 1588 viewsElderGrizzly

Ahhh, so they want to ban the burka to help people get more vitamin D! on 15:52 - May 25 by Luk38644

Why is opposing an oppressive piece of clothing on security grounds considered 'racist'?

There are no genuine security grounds to ban the Burka.

Anyone who says otherwise is just finding an excuse to satisfy another itch.
[Post edited 25 May 2017 17:33]
Ahhh, so they want to ban the burka to help people get more vitamin D! on 19:59 - May 25 with 1543 viewsGunnsAirkick

Ahhh, so they want to ban the burka to help people get more vitamin D! on 17:32 - May 25 by ElderGrizzly

There are no genuine security grounds to ban the Burka.

Anyone who says otherwise is just finding an excuse to satisfy another itch.
[Post edited 25 May 2017 17:33]

What about this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6378863.stm

I don't feel comfortable when people have their faces covered like that, I consider myself a liberal lefty type but I just find it weird and oppressive to be honest.

I am sure some women wear them through choice but a lot don't. This news item from last year springs to mind, it is a very conservative side of Islam and if we want to move forward as a secular society we need to start saying some ancient and oppressive religious practices are just wrong (it isn't just Islam by the way, look at Hasidic Jewish women having to shave their hair and the problem of FGM and sexual abuse present in a lot of religions).

http://metro.co.uk/2015/06/06/syrian-women-pull-off-their-burkas-to-show-they-ar
[Post edited 25 May 2017 20:00]
Ahhh, so they want to ban the burka to help people get more vitamin D! on 20:03 - May 25 with 1537 viewsElderGrizzly

Ahhh, so they want to ban the burka to help people get more vitamin D! on 19:59 - May 25 by GunnsAirkick

What about this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6378863.stm

I don't feel comfortable when people have their faces covered like that, I consider myself a liberal lefty type but I just find it weird and oppressive to be honest.

I am sure some women wear them through choice but a lot don't. This news item from last year springs to mind, it is a very conservative side of Islam and if we want to move forward as a secular society we need to start saying some ancient and oppressive religious practices are just wrong (it isn't just Islam by the way, look at Hasidic Jewish women having to shave their hair and the problem of FGM and sexual abuse present in a lot of religions).

http://metro.co.uk/2015/06/06/syrian-women-pull-off-their-burkas-to-show-they-ar
[Post edited 25 May 2017 20:00]

I completely agree it's oppressive, but it's not a security threat in the way it is being reported. No more than a hoodie.

The story is interesting, but such a one off. Find anything in the world and you wouldn't ban it if one person misued it.
Ahhh, so they want to ban the burka to help people get more vitamin D! on 20:24 - May 25 with 1516 viewsGunnsAirkick

Ahhh, so they want to ban the burka to help people get more vitamin D! on 20:03 - May 25 by ElderGrizzly

I completely agree it's oppressive, but it's not a security threat in the way it is being reported. No more than a hoodie.

The story is interesting, but such a one off. Find anything in the world and you wouldn't ban it if one person misued it.

It's more the oppression thing and less the security issue that bothers me.

As others have said I wouldn't like this approached in a UKIP type way either.
Ahhh, so they want to ban the burka to help people get more vitamin D! on 20:35 - May 25 with 1507 viewsNewcyBlue

I spent the afternoon with a lady wearing a hijab, she was utterly mesmerising. She works in one of our offices.

I don't think we will ever change the mindset of people by banning the Burka. Banning an item of clothing is as much of an affront to those women who choose to wear it.

As always, education will play an important role in it.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Ahhh, so they want to ban the burka to help people get more vitamin D! on 20:52 - May 25 with 1496 viewsElderGrizzly

Ahhh, so they want to ban the burka to help people get more vitamin D! on 20:24 - May 25 by GunnsAirkick

It's more the oppression thing and less the security issue that bothers me.

As others have said I wouldn't like this approached in a UKIP type way either.

Absolutely and their spokesman on the board (ThePitBoss) appears a bit upset by it all.

Come to think of it, looking through his/her threads they only appeared for the election and make Benters look like a beardy Liberal like me (and you)

Blueas must be bored...
Ahhh, so they want to ban the burka to help people get more vitamin D! on 20:55 - May 25 with 1491 viewsElderGrizzly

Ahhh, so they want to ban the burka to help people get more vitamin D! on 20:35 - May 25 by NewcyBlue

I spent the afternoon with a lady wearing a hijab, she was utterly mesmerising. She works in one of our offices.

I don't think we will ever change the mindset of people by banning the Burka. Banning an item of clothing is as much of an affront to those women who choose to wear it.

Sensible thinking like that will get you nowhere with some on here. I think it takes spending time in the countries and travelling the world like yourself and some others of us where this is the 'normal' style of dress that you truly understand it.

It is still oppresive in my view, as i said earlier, but banning it is a step too far.

Do that, you end up like France and the rise of Le Pen
Ahhh, so they want to ban the burka to help people get more vitamin D! on 21:14 - May 25 with 1481 viewsGunnsAirkick

Ahhh, so they want to ban the burka to help people get more vitamin D! on 20:35 - May 25 by NewcyBlue

I have no problem with the hijab. It seems far less oppressive and conservative (you often see women wearing the hijab with Western clothes).

You are perhaps right with your last line. If you ban one item where does it end?
Login to get fewer ads

Ahhh, so they want to ban the burka to help people get more vitamin D! on 21:33 - May 25 with 1464 viewsNewcyBlue

Ahhh, so they want to ban the burka to help people get more vitamin D! on 21:14 - May 25 by GunnsAirkick

I have no problem with the hijab. It seems far less oppressive and conservative (you often see women wearing the hijab with Western clothes).

You are perhaps right with your last line. If you ban one item where does it end?

I think the hijab added to the allure of this lady.

We have to be above intolerance. We have to be open and accepting. The more open we are, the more willing people will be to come out in the open and ask for help, be it from oppression, domestic violence, racism, addiction, etc.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Ahhh, so they want to ban the burka to help people get more vitamin D! on 00:04 - May 26 with 1427 viewsBorisOrTrevor

Racist?!

BOT

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024