Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kevin Beattie's League Debut... 21:29 - May 25 with 4658 viewsBinner

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 21:40 - May 25 with 4625 viewsfactual_blue

And the next season, Utd were relegated.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 21:44 - May 25 with 4617 viewsBinner

Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 21:40 - May 25 by factual_blue

And the next season, Utd were relegated.

Didn't Denis Law score the goal which confirmed their relegation?

Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 21:46 - May 25 with 4610 viewsfeelingblue

Yes, TWTD
Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 21:53 - May 25 with 4589 viewsGlasgowBlue

Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 21:44 - May 25 by Binner

I think they were down regardless but he still didn't celebrate.

Some trivia for you. When I was 10 Scotland were playing West Germany in a friendly in Frankfurt. This would have been around 1974.

We were staying with family friends and the father was a doctor with contacts to the German FA and he got us into training. Denis Law had fallen out with the manager and was told to train on his own by running around the track several times and I went around with him chatting as we jogged our way around.

I think he only played for Scotland once or twice after that.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 22:00 - May 25 with 4575 viewsBinner

Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 21:53 - May 25 by GlasgowBlue

Some trivia for you. When I was 10 Scotland were playing West Germany in a friendly in Frankfurt. This would have been around 1974.

We were staying with family friends and the father was a doctor with contacts to the German FA and he got us into training. Denis Law had fallen out with the manager and was told to train on his own by running around the track several times and I went around with him chatting as we jogged our way around.

He was mid-30s and near the end of his career in 1974 so probably wouldn't have won many caps regardless of his relationship with the manager.

Fabulous player in his heyday, though...

Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 22:18 - May 25 with 4534 viewsGlasgowBlue

Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 22:00 - May 25 by Binner

He was mid-30s and near the end of his career in 1974 so probably wouldn't have won many caps regardless of his relationship with the manager.

Fabulous player in his heyday, though...

Yeah. Checked out the Man U game. Even a win wouldn't have saved them from relegation.

Law wasn't to know that results were going against Man U though.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 22:27 - May 25 with 4509 viewsfactual_blue

Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 21:44 - May 25 by Binner

No - I think other results that day condemned them.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 22:49 - May 25 with 4472 viewsVic

Hoofball for Whymarks goal!

Loved the look that Jefferson gave the Utd player that ran into David Best (?) after he'd made a save! Not a player to mess with.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Login to get fewer ads

Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 22:56 - May 25 with 4452 viewsBinner

Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 22:49 - May 25 by Vic

Loved the look that Jefferson gave the Utd player that ran into David Best (?) after he'd made a save! Not a player to mess with.

And the Beattie header from outside the penalty area (at 31 seconds) would've been some way of marking your debut had it gone in...

Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 22:58 - May 25 with 4447 viewsLord_Lucan

Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 21:53 - May 25 by GlasgowBlue

I was only about 8 when Man U went down that season. For some reason I remember being a visitor in a hospital in Fulham and everyone was talking about it.The whole thing is really bugging me now FFS

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 23:02 - May 25 with 4441 viewsClapham_Junction

Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 22:49 - May 25 by Vic

It was Beattie's assist. In his autobiography he describes it as "an inch perfect forty yard cross field ball"
Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 14:11 - May 26 with 4325 viewsBanburyBlue

He was such a great player, such a shame you youngsters missed him......

Banbury Blue Back in Town

Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 16:50 - May 26 with 4285 viewsKilburnBlue

A few days later Beattie made his home debut against Norwich & we lost when Beattie gave away a late penalty. He was distraught

It ended up being the only penalty he ever gave away as a professional player.

Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 22:42 - May 26 with 4176 viewsRadlett_blue

Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 16:50 - May 26 by KilburnBlue

A few days later Beattie made his home debut against Norwich & we lost when Beattie gave away a late penalty. He was distraught

It ended up being the only penalty he ever gave away as a professional player.

Nonsense. I was at the game & Terry Anderson put norwich ahead, Bryan Hamilton equalised 10 minutes afterwards & Jimmy Bone scored Norwich's winner. No penalty awarded in that game.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 03:06 - May 27 with 4112 viewsKilburnBlue

Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 22:42 - May 26 by Radlett_blue

Nonsense. I was at the game & Terry Anderson put norwich ahead, Bryan Hamilton equalised 10 minutes afterwards & Jimmy Bone scored Norwich's winner. No penalty awarded in that game.

Sorry Radlett I just went by what Thomas Kevin Beattie said in his book (The Greatest Footballer England Never Had) when he says following his debut & win against Manchester United -

"My debut against Manchester United was a wonderful day and one I will never forget. I was soon made painfully aware of the nature of football in my second appearance several days later however - when we were beaten 2-1 at home to our bitter rivals Norwich City. It was bad enough to be beaten but I also gave away a penalty which proved to be decisive; as it turned out to be the winning goal.
I was of course devastated, but the rest of the lads were fantastic about it - as was the boss who told me to learn from it and to make sure it never happened again. I listened to his words and it remained the only penalty I was to give away during my entire career."

So apologies for talking nonsense as I admit I thought the book would have been factually correct as I was not yet a Town fan by that point.

edit - Noticed that Norwich game in 1972 was the first game against them in the top flight.
[Post edited 27 May 2017 4:26]

Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 19:47 - May 28 with 3894 viewsSwn98

ah great memories.
Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 06:34 - May 29 with 3810 viewsKilburnBlue

Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 03:06 - May 27 by KilburnBlue

Sorry Radlett I just went by what Thomas Kevin Beattie said in his book (The Greatest Footballer England Never Had) when he says following his debut & win against Manchester United -

"My debut against Manchester United was a wonderful day and one I will never forget. I was soon made painfully aware of the nature of football in my second appearance several days later however - when we were beaten 2-1 at home to our bitter rivals Norwich City. It was bad enough to be beaten but I also gave away a penalty which proved to be decisive; as it turned out to be the winning goal.
I was of course devastated, but the rest of the lads were fantastic about it - as was the boss who told me to learn from it and to make sure it never happened again. I listened to his words and it remained the only penalty I was to give away during my entire career."

So apologies for talking nonsense as I admit I thought the book would have been factually correct as I was not yet a Town fan by that point.

edit - Noticed that Norwich game in 1972 was the first game against them in the top flight.
[Post edited 27 May 2017 4:26]

This must have been the penalty that Beattie got mixed up in his autobiography.

Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 06:42 - May 29 with 3806 viewsVic

Kevin Beattie's League Debut... on 06:34 - May 29 by KilburnBlue

This must have been the penalty that Beattie got mixed up in his autobiography.

Martin Peters was a bit naughty for that pen wasn't he! If a player did that these days he'd be rightly slaughtered - and probably retrospectively banned.

That aside, it looks like the Beats memory is not as good as it was!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024