Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Could Theresa May Have Blown It? 00:51 - May 26 with 17456 viewsKievthegreat

Lead is down to 5% in yougov poll (only a single poll ATM and nothing is certain about the effect the Manchester bombing had), but interestingly you can see how the change in attitudes to polices since Labour and Conservatives have released their manifestos. Worth reading through all the yougov tweets and links to get all the breakdowns

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 00:55 - May 26 with 8159 viewsHARRY10

Or simple go to a normal media outlet and read either manifesto

Not so trendy, rather like reading a train timetable rather than poking at your mobile for half an hour
on 11:01 - May 26 with 8090 views_

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 11:09 - May 26 with 8066 viewsDarth_Koont

Doubt it but it's a good lesson for the future.

Seems like the public are tired of style over substance. And the empty promises of a better society that just don't tally with the mean and petty cost-cutting that is going on at the same time.

I certainly feel more confident in our politics and media. Although, in reality, that's just going from zero confidence to seeing a glimmer of hope.

Pronouns: He/Him

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 11:09 - May 26 with 8062 viewsCaptainObvious

opinion polls - lol

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 12:26 - May 26 with 7990 viewsBlueBrittania

The Tories got to within 5 points in 97 at this point in the campaign, Labour then went on to win a stonking majority, it doesn't mean anything yet. As an aside, some of the polls have been throwing up really weird crossbreaks, they have all changed sampling techniques from 2015 to try and correct that error, it could just be that hasn't worked.
Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 14:29 - May 26 with 7871 viewsTheBlueBarca

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 12:26 - May 26 by BlueBrittania

The Tories got to within 5 points in 97 at this point in the campaign, Labour then went on to win a stonking majority, it doesn't mean anything yet. As an aside, some of the polls have been throwing up really weird crossbreaks, they have all changed sampling techniques from 2015 to try and correct that error, it could just be that hasn't worked.

I thought we had a bad choice in 2015. The choice is even worse now. I have voted by post but the reality is that we have to choose between a soulless careerist and a hard-line backbencher with neither fit to govern a local primary school, let alone an entire nation.

Everyone on this forum is always wrong.
Poll: Should Tommy Smith be awarded a Testimonial at Ipswich?

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 14:47 - May 26 with 7839 viewsbaxterbasics

I semi expected the polls to tighten as the day looms. It's a lesson to the Tories in how not to launch a manifesto. They got complacent and decided they could get away with any old crap.

Still I expect this is as good as it will get for Corbyn. Bear in mind historically polls tend to exaggerate the Labour vote.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 14:51 - May 26 with 7812 viewsNo9

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 14:47 - May 26 by baxterbasics

I semi expected the polls to tighten as the day looms. It's a lesson to the Tories in how not to launch a manifesto. They got complacent and decided they could get away with any old crap.

Still I expect this is as good as it will get for Corbyn. Bear in mind historically polls tend to exaggerate the Labour vote.

"It's a lesson to the Tories in how not to launch a manifesto."

Nothing to do with the consistent lowering of wages and living standards then?
Nothing to do with robbing pen sioers to fund overseas governments via privatised industries?
Nothing to do with killing the NHS?
Nothing to do with robbing people of the opportunity for a decent living?
Nothing to do with ensuring children from poor backgrounds can't afford to go to Uni?

Just some plonker can't write a manifesto = WRONG, they knew waht they wee doing but just thought people were too thick to notice - the worm may be turing
Login to get fewer ads

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 15:03 - May 26 with 7806 viewsHARRY10

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 12:26 - May 26 by BlueBrittania

That's not quite the whole picture

The 5 point gap was ONE rogue poll on 21st April (10 days before vote) which was at complete odds with the other polls on the days before and after.

The average continued with a Labour lead similar to what the Tories had a couple of weeks back - day after day

Verification can be had here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_United_Kingdom_general_ele
Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 15:22 - May 26 with 7780 viewsbaxterbasics

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 14:51 - May 26 by No9

"It's a lesson to the Tories in how not to launch a manifesto."

Nothing to do with the consistent lowering of wages and living standards then?
Nothing to do with robbing pen sioers to fund overseas governments via privatised industries?
Nothing to do with killing the NHS?
Nothing to do with robbing people of the opportunity for a decent living?
Nothing to do with ensuring children from poor backgrounds can't afford to go to Uni?

Just some plonker can't write a manifesto = WRONG, they knew waht they wee doing but just thought people were too thick to notice - the worm may be turing

Errm no not really. If I generously assume all the things you have listed are undoubtable facts, then they were the case this whole time that Cons have been streets ahead in the polls. You have to ask what has happened differently to produce that result.

It may be an outlier as others suggest but I think there is a genuine narrowing of the gap as a result of the manifesto.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 18:01 - May 26 with 7689 viewsThe_Last_Baron

The Tory campaign has been a shambles, all I can hear from May is strong and stable, a terrible soundbite at the best of times.

Their manifesto was terrible, alienating the older generation and saying they'll stay in the ECHR for the duration of the next parliament term, alienating Brexiteers in the process. She believed she would get a huge majority on the back of Brexit but there is more to running a country than that. Corbyn announced several popular policies - he wouldn't be able to fund them for sure but they still sounded good to many.

May still win but with a much smaller majority than she imagined. Only because Labour have Corbyn and when it comes to it most people would not trust him to deliver a pizza. If Labour had a solid, common sense leader for this election I believe they would have a fair chance of winning. As it is they have a rabble at the top of the party - Corby, McDonnell and Abbott would be terrible for the nation.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 18:30 - May 26 with 7668 viewsTractorWood

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 18:01 - May 26 by The_Last_Baron

The Tory campaign has been a shambles, all I can hear from May is strong and stable, a terrible soundbite at the best of times.

Their manifesto was terrible, alienating the older generation and saying they'll stay in the ECHR for the duration of the next parliament term, alienating Brexiteers in the process. She believed she would get a huge majority on the back of Brexit but there is more to running a country than that. Corbyn announced several popular policies - he wouldn't be able to fund them for sure but they still sounded good to many.

May still win but with a much smaller majority than she imagined. Only because Labour have Corbyn and when it comes to it most people would not trust him to deliver a pizza. If Labour had a solid, common sense leader for this election I believe they would have a fair chance of winning. As it is they have a rabble at the top of the party - Corby, McDonnell and Abbott would be terrible for the nation.

Broadly agree. I like the idea of Corbyn but him actually in government wouldn't work. NHS seems the hot button issue but until people acknowledge the tragic truth that it's economically unsustainable with an aging population, we'll never get anywhere. As Rommie posted the other day it's brilliant but miraculous it has lasted as long as it has.

5 biggest employer in the world and its budget as a country's GDP would make it the 57th biggest in the world.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 18:36 - May 26 with 7646 viewsjas0999

I personally think the Tories will win the election. As a so called floating voter, I still can't find too many reasons to vote for Corbyns Labour. Having said that I rate them higher now than under Ed Milliband. I doubt it will be a landslide victory. Small increase in Tory majority I would guess.
Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 18:41 - May 26 with 7634 viewsjaykay

lets see, May called the election because in her words.the country was united but parliament wasn't over brexit. which to my mind is a load of bollox. so what will happened if she wins but not by that greater majority. will she carry on or go

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 18:59 - May 26 with 7612 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 18:41 - May 26 by jaykay

lets see, May called the election because in her words.the country was united but parliament wasn't over brexit. which to my mind is a load of bollox. so what will happened if she wins but not by that greater majority. will she carry on or go

If she wins she'll carry on of course. However I believe she won't stand for election again, she'll be PM for no more than six years. By the time Labour sort themselves out the Tories will need a stronger leader than May.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 01:16 - May 27 with 7351 viewsHARRY10

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 18:30 - May 26 by TractorWood

Broadly agree. I like the idea of Corbyn but him actually in government wouldn't work. NHS seems the hot button issue but until people acknowledge the tragic truth that it's economically unsustainable with an aging population, we'll never get anywhere. As Rommie posted the other day it's brilliant but miraculous it has lasted as long as it has.

5 biggest employer in the world and its budget as a country's GDP would make it the 57th biggest in the world.

Yes, it's not if any other country has a universal health care system, or an aging population is it ?

What it is suffering from now is cuts that are causing stagnation and blocking up the system

However those who can pay should pay - and is is the funding that we need to look at NOT the model itself.
Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 07:09 - May 27 with 7262 viewsTractorWood

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 01:16 - May 27 by HARRY10

Yes, it's not if any other country has a universal health care system, or an aging population is it ?

What it is suffering from now is cuts that are causing stagnation and blocking up the system

However those who can pay should pay - and is is the funding that we need to look at NOT the model itself.

High earners would probably say they already pay enough income tax, why should they have to contribute more? Just playing devil's advocate.

Japan has an ageing population and they have a system where the treatment costs are split between the government and the patient. Patient pays between 10-30% depending on their income etc and the government pays the balance. The harsh question I cite here is, is the service provided by the NHS consistently good enough to warrant a material contribution from the patient?

I simply don't know enough about the health care system, but if people were to pay for their surgeries, waiting lists need reducing and roughly a quarter of the NHS' annual budget is earmarked for settling medical negligence. This feels too high but haven't heard anyone question this.

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 08:33 - May 27 with 7186 viewsHerbivore

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 07:09 - May 27 by TractorWood

High earners would probably say they already pay enough income tax, why should they have to contribute more? Just playing devil's advocate.

Japan has an ageing population and they have a system where the treatment costs are split between the government and the patient. Patient pays between 10-30% depending on their income etc and the government pays the balance. The harsh question I cite here is, is the service provided by the NHS consistently good enough to warrant a material contribution from the patient?

I simply don't know enough about the health care system, but if people were to pay for their surgeries, waiting lists need reducing and roughly a quarter of the NHS' annual budget is earmarked for settling medical negligence. This feels too high but haven't heard anyone question this.

That figure relating to the budget and medical negligence isn't remotely accurate. The story about it misrepresented the fact, it treated a lump sum being set aside to cover claims over a very long period as though it was part of an annual budget. In reality, as the story notes, less than 1% of the NHS's annual budget goes on settling medical negligence claims. When the story your using provides you with all the info you need to fact check it yourself you really should be doing better than this.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 09:38 - May 27 with 7152 viewsPinewoodblue

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2017/may/08/general-election
Best place to look if you are looking for trends, helps to weed out any rogue Poll, seems this probably wasn't a rogue poll.

Could come down to who manages to get their supporters to cast their vote.Two key groups of voters, the Young and in many cases first voter, and those who two years ago were Ukipers.

Can see May adopting fear tactics. " Do you really want this man as the leader of our Country? No of course you don't vote conservative"

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 09:47 - May 27 with 7132 viewsDarth_Koont

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 09:38 - May 27 by Pinewoodblue

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2017/may/08/general-election
Best place to look if you are looking for trends, helps to weed out any rogue Poll, seems this probably wasn't a rogue poll.

Could come down to who manages to get their supporters to cast their vote.Two key groups of voters, the Young and in many cases first voter, and those who two years ago were Ukipers.

Can see May adopting fear tactics. " Do you really want this man as the leader of our Country? No of course you don't vote conservative"

No doubt they'll try that tactic although how long before people put two and two together about her own inadequacy and incompetence? Isn't "strong and stable" more of a sarcastic description nowadays?

The safest option is to carry on appealing to her new-found UKIPpers. They've given her a tidy buffer — and they'd vote for a monkey waving a Union Jack.
[Post edited 27 May 2017 9:49]

Pronouns: He/Him

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 10:37 - May 27 with 7098 viewsTractorWood

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 08:33 - May 27 by Herbivore

That figure relating to the budget and medical negligence isn't remotely accurate. The story about it misrepresented the fact, it treated a lump sum being set aside to cover claims over a very long period as though it was part of an annual budget. In reality, as the story notes, less than 1% of the NHS's annual budget goes on settling medical negligence claims. When the story your using provides you with all the info you need to fact check it yourself you really should be doing better than this.

So the remaining £20+ billion is for mistakes it has made that hasn't been budgeted for previously or mistakes it will make? How reassuring.

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 10:44 - May 27 with 7085 viewsfeelingblue

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 09:47 - May 27 by Darth_Koont

No doubt they'll try that tactic although how long before people put two and two together about her own inadequacy and incompetence? Isn't "strong and stable" more of a sarcastic description nowadays?

The safest option is to carry on appealing to her new-found UKIPpers. They've given her a tidy buffer — and they'd vote for a monkey waving a Union Jack.
[Post edited 27 May 2017 9:49]

Monkeys are not British are they? They'd probably hang the monkey
Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 11:45 - May 27 with 7037 viewsHerbivore

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 10:37 - May 27 by TractorWood

So the remaining £20+ billion is for mistakes it has made that hasn't been budgeted for previously or mistakes it will make? How reassuring.

They're the main provider of medical care in the UK by a massive distance, medical negligence claims are big business for some law firms. That figure shouldn't be that surprising. I see you've skirted around rather than retracted your misleading claim, I wonder why.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 16:01 - May 27 with 6926 viewsTexaco73

I think a hung parliament would be the best outcome.
Could Theresa May Have Blown It? on 16:06 - May 27 with 6918 viewsbluejake78

May is home and hosed.She has no one to oppose.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024