Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. 13:09 - May 26 with 7983 viewsDarth_Koont

The foreign policy aspect will grab the headlines but that's just part of it as he believes there's clearly a need to tackle the problem at home too and see what we can do better.

Not sure how people can see any of this as controversial - in fact it makes up much of what the G7 are talking about today.

Pronouns: He/Him

Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 13:14 - May 26 with 3458 viewsElderGrizzly

I've said below, the content on the whole is not controversial. What is, is that Corbyn (along with some Lib Dem colleagues) has consistently voted against measures that would/could have helped.

It's not a party political issue for me at all, just he as would a lot of Lib Dems, would be the wrong people to stand up now and give a speech like that when they've spent so many years undermining legislation to help.
[Post edited 26 May 2017 13:14]
Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 13:17 - May 26 with 3443 viewsArcher4721

Excellent speech wasn't it and it need being said.

"Seeing the army on the streets today is a stark reminder that the current approach has failed.

So I would like to take a moment to speak to our soldiers on the streets of Britain. You are doing your duty as you have done so many times before.

I want to assure you under my leadership you will only be deployed when there is a clear need and only when there is a plan and you have the resources to do your job to secure an outcome that delivers lasting peace.

That is my commitment to the armed services."
Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 13:17 - May 26 with 3436 viewsGromheort

Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 13:14 - May 26 by ElderGrizzly

I've said below, the content on the whole is not controversial. What is, is that Corbyn (along with some Lib Dem colleagues) has consistently voted against measures that would/could have helped.

It's not a party political issue for me at all, just he as would a lot of Lib Dems, would be the wrong people to stand up now and give a speech like that when they've spent so many years undermining legislation to help.

Let's quote a Lib Dem over the type of legislation that you cheer: “We do have to worry about a UK Donald Trump. If we do end up with one, and that is not impossible, we have created the tools for repression. If Labour had backed us up, we could have made the bill better. We have ended up with a bad bill because they were all over the place" (Lord Strasburger)

Corbyn offers consistency
Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 13:20 - May 26 with 3414 viewskizaitfc

Completely agree, I think the other thing to consider is where a lot of parties are saying you cant blame one attack on foreign policy.

You need to look at the number of attempts we have foiled, we are constantly under threat and according to national statistics to a much larger level then most other countries in the EU.

How anyone can argue bombing a country does not fuel these people is beyond me. Corbyn is saying exactly what is needed and I'm suprised he hasnt said I told you so!

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 13:20 - May 26 with 3413 viewscrunchie1978

Vote for him and I'm sure he can call on his good friend Gerry Adams if he needs any foreign policy advice.
Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 13:22 - May 26 with 3404 viewsDarth_Koont

We'd have to look at that case by case. But I'm sceptical about our ability to legislate the problem away. May's current approach to somehow control the Internet seems ridiculously naive and, like everything else it seems, designed to win over reactionary and naive voters.

Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 13:22 - May 26 with 3399 viewsElderGrizzly

Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 13:17 - May 26 by Gromheort

Let's quote a Lib Dem over the type of legislation that you cheer: “We do have to worry about a UK Donald Trump. If we do end up with one, and that is not impossible, we have created the tools for repression. If Labour had backed us up, we could have made the bill better. We have ended up with a bad bill because they were all over the place" (Lord Strasburger)

Corbyn offers consistency

Consistently blocking. Yes... ;o)
Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 13:23 - May 26 with 3388 viewsDarkHorse

"I have spent my political life working for peace and human rights and to bring an end to conflict and devastating wars. That will almost always mean talking to people you profoundly disagree with. That’s what conflict resolution is all about"

Has he b***ocks. He's spent his political life talking to people he profoundly agrees with and ignoring the concerns of those he disagrees with. He spent the 80's at Troops Out rallies and protesting outside of the trials of IRA terrorists.
Login to get fewer ads

Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 13:24 - May 26 with 3376 viewsElderGrizzly

Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 13:17 - May 26 by Archer4721

Excellent speech wasn't it and it need being said.

"Seeing the army on the streets today is a stark reminder that the current approach has failed.

So I would like to take a moment to speak to our soldiers on the streets of Britain. You are doing your duty as you have done so many times before.

I want to assure you under my leadership you will only be deployed when there is a clear need and only when there is a plan and you have the resources to do your job to secure an outcome that delivers lasting peace.

That is my commitment to the armed services."

Although the army on the streets has very little to do with policing numbers, more as a 'show' to try and display strength.

Its a "look what we are doing to protect you from the big bad men" type statement. I don't agree with it, but it goes further than just not having a certain number of police.

As I said above, Corbyn's speech was good, but he just wasn't the right person to give it with all that has passed previously
[Post edited 26 May 2017 13:25]
Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 13:25 - May 26 with 3368 viewsGromheort

Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 13:22 - May 26 by ElderGrizzly

Consistently blocking. Yes... ;o)

Over foreign policy he's been consistently correct. Via support of our rights, he is also on particularly firm ground.

The problem has been the right wing of Labour, who defended foreign policy irrationality and ignored these issues (subsequently allowing the Tories to go unchallenged).
Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 13:27 - May 26 with 3359 viewsDarth_Koont

Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 13:23 - May 26 by DarkHorse

"I have spent my political life working for peace and human rights and to bring an end to conflict and devastating wars. That will almost always mean talking to people you profoundly disagree with. That’s what conflict resolution is all about"

Has he b***ocks. He's spent his political life talking to people he profoundly agrees with and ignoring the concerns of those he disagrees with. He spent the 80's at Troops Out rallies and protesting outside of the trials of IRA terrorists.

You're right. We should have refused to engage any other way than militarily. That way we could still be fighting a self-righteous war today - the innocent men, women and children caught in the cross-fire would be a small price to pay in order to keep our inane pride.

Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 13:30 - May 26 with 3332 viewstcblue

Can someone be prime minister here as well as president of France? I am rapidly turning into a Macron fanboy
on 14:06 - May 26 with 3231 views_

Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 14:41 - May 26 with 3143 viewsdryas

Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 13:22 - May 26 by Darth_Koont

We'd have to look at that case by case. But I'm sceptical about our ability to legislate the problem away. May's current approach to somehow control the Internet seems ridiculously naive and, like everything else it seems, designed to win over reactionary and naive voters.

Quite. Backed by the usual newspapers who face circulation decline and reduction in advertising incomes because of social media competition.
Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 14:43 - May 26 with 3127 viewsNo9

You continually overlook the fact much of what has happened since 2010 has not received Parliamentary scrutiny.
The tories have done so much parliament has not been aware of until after the event.
Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 14:46 - May 26 with 3122 viewsDarth_Koont

Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 14:41 - May 26 by dryas

Quite. Backed by the usual newspapers who face circulation decline and reduction in advertising incomes because of social media competition.

Hadn't thought about that but yes, there's certainly a conflict of interest re: the media.

Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 14:48 - May 26 with 3104 viewsNo9

Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 13:22 - May 26 by Darth_Koont

Kim Jong May's desire to control the internet has nothing to do with this terrible event in Manchester. She has been trying to control the internet ever since she became Home Secretary and has got Ms Rudd contining that desire.
Divide and rule
Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 14:51 - May 26 with 3100 viewsbaxterbasics

Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 13:30 - May 26 by tcblue

Can someone be prime minister here as well as president of France? I am rapidly turning into a Macron fanboy

Maybe we can have an arrangement where the UK and France become a single kingdom under the house of Windsor, and the roles of President and PM is merged.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 14:53 - May 26 with 3078 viewsNo9

Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 14:51 - May 26 by baxterbasics

Maybe we can have an arrangement where the UK and France become a single kingdom under the house of Windsor, and the roles of President and PM is merged.

France are taking over our Military are they not?
Thales
Steel from France to build the nuclear subs
etc. etc.
on 14:55 - May 26 with 3078 views_

Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 14:48 - May 26 by No9

Kim Jong May's desire to control the internet has nothing to do with this terrible event in Manchester. She has been trying to control the internet ever since she became Home Secretary and has got Ms Rudd contining that desire.
Divide and rule

Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 14:58 - May 26 with 3066 viewsDarth_Koont

on 14:55 - May 26 by _

I'm guessing her thing is ignorance. Either that or exploitation of an internet-fearing electorate for political gain.

Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 15:01 - May 26 with 3040 viewsNo9

on 14:55 - May 26 by _

It is clear that she understand the power of the internet.
There has been a lot of discussion about how social media (on the net) is showing a completely different set oof political values and polls to what is in the 'official' arena.
Kim Jong won't like that, every report you read states she is a control freak and several have left her employ because of that (allegedly).
The thought that something out there is happening that can;t be controlled by the Daily Mail, The Telegraph et all will cause her great concern - not only now but in the future.
The BBC ran soething last week which suggested it had been instructed from outside the BBC, it was about the politics of young people who are not tuned into duy to day media but get their info from the net. They were overwhelmingly anti tory mainly Corbyn supportersand greens.

The issue for labour is can they get those people out to vote.
It may be too late for this election but Kim Jong May will do all in her power to make changes ASAP.
on 15:03 - May 26 with 3041 views_

Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 14:58 - May 26 by Darth_Koont

I'm guessing her thing is ignorance. Either that or exploitation of an internet-fearing electorate for political gain.

Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 15:10 - May 26 with 3012 viewsfactual_blue

Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 14:51 - May 26 by baxterbasics

Surely that chap in Australia who is possibly the surviving claimant to the throne from the Angevin/Plantagenet dynasties is the appropriate ruler?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Good speech by Corbyn re: terrorism. on 15:12 - May 26 with 3002 viewsmeekreech

How can anyone take this clown seriously ? For him to ever speak about terrorism is the height of hypocracy considering his relationship with the irish terrorists , the arab terrorists and his support for Putin and his treatment of any country that stands up to him !

Poll: who do you see as next manager ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024