Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Collective advice on things to do and 20:15 - May 26 with 2606 viewsSwansea_Blue

places to go in America appreciated.

Ok twtders, I know we're all experts on everything, so you'll all know the answers to this....

If you had 7 months in America, from July to Feb, where would you go and what would you do?

I'm going to be based in Maine, but have at least 3 weeks in July/Aug to travel and hope to have many weekends, long weekends and the occasional other holiday too.

So far thinking:
- 3 or 4 weeks touring California and/or Oregon with a camper, possibly followed by a road trip back to Maine via Canadian Great Lakes
- Christmas in Hawaii or Florida
- Weekends in New England for fall
- Weekend(s) in Boston
- Xmas trip/ shopping in NY
- Trips to see baseball, footie & American footie in Boston
- Not getting shot or converted by white supremacists

What am I missing?
[Post edited 26 May 2017 20:19]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Collective advice on things to do and on 20:28 - May 26 with 2583 viewsartsbossbeard

I'm a bit of a US bore, I've been all over.

East Coast:
Boston is a fantastic place, Red Sox dominate thing, you must go. Must. It's a big city but isn't as easily recognisable as NYC. Car? Take a trip up to The Hamptons. Watch Weekend at Bernies first though.

NYC is something else - have you been before? Always something to do, always something to visit. I'm a big London fan and NYC is the only place I've visited that pushes it close.

JJJ is based in Philadelphia and that's worth a visit - drop him a PM and he'll take you around the place.(bars)
West coast
3 weeks in July: San Francisco. The coolest and most iconic city I've visited. I could live there. Hire a car and take the Pacific Highway down to LA and/or San Diego. The views are amazing.

San Diego Zoo is the best zoo I've ever visited.
Newport Beach (Orange County) is the stuff of surfer dreams
Santa Monica at night is beautiful.

Enjoy!

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Collective advice on things to do and on 20:44 - May 26 with 2553 viewsElderGrizzly

Montana/Yellowstone
Alaska - drive from Anchorage to Homer
Seattle

Those three are awesome if you love nature/trekking
Collective advice on things to do and on 20:59 - May 26 with 2538 viewsWestover

I went to Grand Haven in Michigan had a wonderful time lots to do water sports Salmon fishing if you like car shows check out Del Shannon days early August in Coopersville up to eight hundred cars and Music during the week
Collective advice on things to do and on 21:01 - May 26 with 2535 viewsconnorscontract

Did you watch Breaking Bad? If so a trip to Albuquerque is a must. Amazing city. So different from other US cities. Nearby Santa Fe is great, too. New Mexico is my favourite State.

In fact, you've got so long out there that I'd say doing the whole of Route 66 is a must. You'll see the country change. You could spend a month or 6 weeks over it: most people don't have that luxury and rush it in 2 weeks. Motels are really cheap out of the big cities. And you MUST MUST MUST take the detour from Williams to the Grand Canyon. Get Billy Connolly's dvd on Route 66, it's a good intro. Can be picked up quite cheaply online.

And whale watching from Boston.

Las Vegas was a weird experience, but I did get to go to the Pawn Stars shop, because I'm that sad. Even better was Counting Cars showroom: totally free.
Collective advice on things to do and on 21:10 - May 26 with 2526 viewsMullet

Didn't think Boston was all that, apart from Fenway and reciting bits of the Departed.

Maine is interesting if you're outdoorsy and that.

New York is worth plenty of time and I really liked DC.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Collective advice on things to do and on 21:22 - May 26 with 2497 viewsSwansea_Blue

All good so far thanks. My personal preference is outdoory stuff, so Alaska would be high on my list, but with 2 young kids we need a balance. So Route 66 for our holiday tour and Boston /NY/DC could all tick the right boxes. I doubt we'll get a 6 weeks in a block, but we'll def aim for 3 weeks on the west side. It's all got to be worked around the missus' work (fairly free and can work remotely) and probably more restrictively the kids schooling.

New Mexico good too - argh too many places!

Transport's not a problem. We'll at least buy a car. We may buy a camper too if rental is extortionate. Probably cheaper overall to buy and the sell after 6 months.

Anyone know if top sporting events are hard to get tickets for - should I be looking to book months in advance or join supporters clubs to stand a chance of getting tockets?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Collective advice on things to do and on 21:23 - May 26 with 2494 viewsfactual_blue

Washington.

And research and retrace the remarkable tale of Wilmer McLean.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Collective advice on things to do and on 21:23 - May 26 with 2487 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Is it just you going or are you with other people?

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Login to get fewer ads

Collective advice on things to do and on 21:34 - May 26 with 2475 viewsconnorscontract

Collective advice on things to do and on 21:22 - May 26 by Swansea_Blue

All good so far thanks. My personal preference is outdoory stuff, so Alaska would be high on my list, but with 2 young kids we need a balance. So Route 66 for our holiday tour and Boston /NY/DC could all tick the right boxes. I doubt we'll get a 6 weeks in a block, but we'll def aim for 3 weeks on the west side. It's all got to be worked around the missus' work (fairly free and can work remotely) and probably more restrictively the kids schooling.

Transport's not a problem. We'll at least buy a car. We may buy a camper too if rental is extortionate. Probably cheaper overall to buy and the sell after 6 months.

Anyone know if top sporting events are hard to get tickets for - should I be looking to book months in advance or join supporters clubs to stand a chance of getting tockets?

If you do Route 66 it's "traditional" to head Westwards. You start in Chicago (amazing city, your kids will love "The Bean") and head for LA. I did it with my wife and sons when 2 years ago, my sons were 14 and 17. No-one can ever take that away from us: best thing I've ever done.

Three weeks is fine for it, 2 weeks is too much of a rush. We had 17 days and stayed for extra in Albuquerque because we were all big Breaking Bad fans. I've sat in the seat Walt sits in at Los Pollos Hermanos and had a quite disappointing burrito (IMPORTANT NOTE: do this at lunchtime, we went in the evening and it was definitely located in a "wrong side of the tracks" area.) Bought an Air Freshener from the car wash used in the show, and the bloke behind the counter realised I was a tourist and said "You have an A1 day" as he gave me my change, which made a middle aged man very happy.

Then there's the amazing 72oz Steak place at Amarillo, Texas, or hillbilly BBQ joints or Jesse James hide out at the Meramec Caverns, and LA and Hollywood to finish and so much more.

If you get any Route 66 guide books they'll tell you about the Waldmire corn dogs near the start in Illinois. The most disgusting thing I've ever eaten. How old are your kids? Did they watch Cars when they were little? Lots of that film is based on Route 66 and some of the characters associated with it.
Collective advice on things to do and on 21:36 - May 26 with 2468 viewsconnorscontract

Collective advice on things to do and on 21:34 - May 26 by connorscontract

If you do Route 66 it's "traditional" to head Westwards. You start in Chicago (amazing city, your kids will love "The Bean") and head for LA. I did it with my wife and sons when 2 years ago, my sons were 14 and 17. No-one can ever take that away from us: best thing I've ever done.

Three weeks is fine for it, 2 weeks is too much of a rush. We had 17 days and stayed for extra in Albuquerque because we were all big Breaking Bad fans. I've sat in the seat Walt sits in at Los Pollos Hermanos and had a quite disappointing burrito (IMPORTANT NOTE: do this at lunchtime, we went in the evening and it was definitely located in a "wrong side of the tracks" area.) Bought an Air Freshener from the car wash used in the show, and the bloke behind the counter realised I was a tourist and said "You have an A1 day" as he gave me my change, which made a middle aged man very happy.

Then there's the amazing 72oz Steak place at Amarillo, Texas, or hillbilly BBQ joints or Jesse James hide out at the Meramec Caverns, and LA and Hollywood to finish and so much more.

If you get any Route 66 guide books they'll tell you about the Waldmire corn dogs near the start in Illinois. The most disgusting thing I've ever eaten. How old are your kids? Did they watch Cars when they were little? Lots of that film is based on Route 66 and some of the characters associated with it.

Buying a vehicle and selling at the end may be a good strategy, but if I was in the New Mexico desert 30 miles from the nearest town I'd want my family to be in a VERY reliable car. Buy 36 bottle packs of water and carry them in the car- it gets so hot and Air Con dehydrates you.
Collective advice on things to do and on 21:48 - May 26 with 2453 viewsbluelagos

No ones mentioned Niagra, the Berkshires, Finger Lakes. Also the Appalacians.

Cc suggestion of a road trip sounds pretty cool. I'd maybe try and get to New Orleans too.

For an alternative to Vegas, Altantic City on the East Coast is accessible from where you are based.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Collective advice on things to do and on 22:06 - May 26 with 2438 viewsSteve_M

My list would be (I'm ignoring your latest current re: kids for now):

- Alaska
- Rockies
- Utah, mainly Zion NP and Monument Valley.
- A bit of the Appalachian trail.

Also:
- Smithsonian, particularly the Air and Space Museum
- Go see a rocket launch in Florida.

You might regret is only seven months.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Collective advice on things to do and on 22:10 - May 26 with 2430 viewsswede

Take a trip out west to Arizona & Utah
Grand Canyon
Antelope Canyon
Monument Valley
Bryce & Zion canyons

Just awesome!
Collective advice on things to do and on 22:21 - May 26 with 2412 viewsStNeotsBlue

Whilst in Maine, get yourself out on the whale sight seeing boat trips. Spectacular stuff.
Collective advice on things to do and on 22:21 - May 26 with 2412 viewsElderGrizzly

Collective advice on things to do and on 21:22 - May 26 by Swansea_Blue

The trek in Alaska i did last year had families with kids doing it. Great little day trips while there from Homer.

Any info give me a shout as it is absolutely superb. Would move there in a heart beat.

This was me about 4 feet from Grizzlies just wandering in the wild :)

[Post edited 26 May 2017 22:22]
Collective advice on things to do and on 22:27 - May 26 with 2394 viewsWD19

Hawaii
Collective advice on things to do and on 22:31 - May 26 with 2383 viewsElderGrizzly

Collective advice on things to do and on 22:27 - May 26 by WD19

Hawaii

That was another part of my Alaska trip last year. Not too shabby....

Went to Oahu and Maui for a couple of weeks. That was the view from my house :)
Collective advice on things to do and on 22:42 - May 26 with 2368 viewsradiogaga

Boston strongly recommended. Freedom Trail is well worth it. I saw a college football game whilst I was out there too, Boston & Clemson - Great experience & seriously recommend if the chance presents. If you can't get tickets for a Red Sox game, a tour of Fenway Park is the next best thing.

Other places nearby such as Salem worth a visit too, & Ipswich (masacussets) a short drive away! New Hampshire is a quiet but lovely part of USA so worth hiring a car & going on a drive!

Poll: How many points will Town need to make the off-plays?
Blog: Expectations of Paul Lambert's Ipswich

Collective advice on things to do and on 23:40 - May 26 with 2311 viewsEly_Blue

Take in an ice hockey game, preferably at MSG in NYC as the place is awesome

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Collective advice on things to do and on 23:52 - May 26 with 2286 viewsDarth_Koont

Go to Bermuda for a week - you and the kids will love it. Extortionate to fly from Gatwick but you can get cheap deals from the East Coast.

Pronouns: He/Him

Collective advice on things to do and on 18:18 - May 27 with 2089 viewsDBaldy

You should give New Orleans a look, such a laid back city with a really interesting history and some of the best food in the US. Plus plenty of live music dotted about the French Quarter.

If you're going to the US in July then I wouldn't head to NOLA before late September at the earliest as the heat and humidity is stifling!

And depending on when you're coming back home you might be able to take in Mardis Gras. Not been there for that myself, but that would be something else.
Collective advice on things to do and on 18:33 - May 27 with 2068 viewsSarge

Traverse City, Michigan. Go kayaking on the lake, try the cherry pie and take in the scenery.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024