Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Exciting but tad scary too! 14:30 - May 27 with 1849 viewsRyorry

Continuous lightning (as in a flash every second) and ongoing drumroll of thunder for about the last 10 mins, accompanied by most torrential rain I've ever seen (think Indian Monsoon). I know I wanted rain for our well, but kinda wish it'd all stop now!!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Exciting but tad scary too! on 14:42 - May 27 with 1821 viewsFreddy

Barmy weather
Exciting but tad scary too! on 14:56 - May 27 with 1806 viewsRyorry

Exciting but tad scary too! on 14:42 - May 27 by Freddy

Barmy weather

Bonkers

Just about stopping now. There must have been a lot of turbulence as the wind direction seemed to keep changing every few secs, hence it all ended up staying bang overhead, ho ho ... More exciting than the 2.20 from Haydock!

Exciting but tad scary too! on 14:58 - May 27 with 1800 viewsBluebell

Exciting but tad scary too! on 14:56 - May 27 by Ryorry

Bonkers

Just about stopping now. There must have been a lot of turbulence as the wind direction seemed to keep changing every few secs, hence it all ended up staying bang overhead, ho ho ... More exciting than the 2.20 from Haydock!

We had it early this morning.

I love watching thunder (well listening to it) and lightning as long as I am safely indoors!
Exciting but tad scary too! on 18:49 - May 27 with 1724 viewsgerard1947

Exciting but tad scary too! on 14:58 - May 27 by Bluebell

We had it early this morning.

I love watching thunder (well listening to it) and lightning as long as I am safely indoors!

We had an amazing storm one night when the kids were young, continuous thunder and lightning. The kids came through to our room and we stood at the window watching. There was an incredible crash and crack as a tree in our garden was struck. We felt the heat and energy and despite the rain the tree burned for several seconds. It was split top to bottom, such power. Half of the tree died and had to be removed. The rest still survives, misshapen but a reminder of the power of nature.
Exciting but tad scary too! on 20:16 - May 27 with 1682 viewsNewcyBlue

Exciting but tad scary too! on 18:49 - May 27 by gerard1947

We had an amazing storm one night when the kids were young, continuous thunder and lightning. The kids came through to our room and we stood at the window watching. There was an incredible crash and crack as a tree in our garden was struck. We felt the heat and energy and despite the rain the tree burned for several seconds. It was split top to bottom, such power. Half of the tree died and had to be removed. The rest still survives, misshapen but a reminder of the power of nature.

I have seen some pretty incredible storms, I think the one that sticks out the most was whilst going into the Panama Canal. Lightening was striking all around, the heat was awesome. The energy made everything buzz, you could feel it. The thunder was unreal. It was an odd environment to be working in, almost surreal.

Nature is a rather powerful thing.

I have Biscay in Winter to look forward to!

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Exciting but tad scary too! on 20:29 - May 27 with 1668 viewsRyorry

Exciting but tad scary too! on 20:16 - May 27 by NewcyBlue

I have seen some pretty incredible storms, I think the one that sticks out the most was whilst going into the Panama Canal. Lightening was striking all around, the heat was awesome. The energy made everything buzz, you could feel it. The thunder was unreal. It was an odd environment to be working in, almost surreal.

One of the childhood memories that thankfully was only burned into my brain metaphorically, was standing on a half-landing of our family home where there was a window, during a violent storm right overhead. I saw what seemed like the sun falling out of the sky and travelling down the side of our house, following the course of the lightning conductor my cautious Dad had installed. It was a fireball of course. Not many people have seen one of them!

Exciting but tad scary too! on 20:36 - May 27 with 1656 viewsLuk38644

We had a storm a few Summers ago that was very humid and produced lightning forks in the sky every few seconds for about an hour. My Dad and I just stood outside watching it in awe, and then the torrential rain started!
Exciting but tad scary too! on 20:40 - May 27 with 1644 viewsgerard1947

That's exactly it, it is the energy and heat you feel that you remember. Must be awesome at sea though.
Login to get fewer ads

Exciting but tad scary too! on 20:53 - May 27 with 1627 viewsNewcyBlue

Exciting but tad scary too! on 20:40 - May 27 by gerard1947

That's exactly it, it is the energy and heat you feel that you remember. Must be awesome at sea though.

It is mesmerising.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Exciting but tad scary too! on 00:21 - May 28 with 1559 viewsRyorry

Exciting but tad scary too! on 20:29 - May 27 by Ryorry

One of the childhood memories that thankfully was only burned into my brain metaphorically, was standing on a half-landing of our family home where there was a window, during a violent storm right overhead. I saw what seemed like the sun falling out of the sky and travelling down the side of our house, following the course of the lightning conductor my cautious Dad had installed. It was a fireball of course. Not many people have seen one of them!

This is the nearest photo of what it was like that I can find, but "my" fireball was obviously going straight down the conductor, not horizontally. It was about 3 foot in diameter I'd say, from knowing its height at the top in relation to the bottom of the adjacent kitchen window. There was a simultaneous bang of thunder as it was going down & earthed.

[Post edited 28 May 2017 0:22]

Exciting but tad scary too! on 00:29 - May 28 with 1549 viewsRyorry

Talking about the power of nature where water's concerned, there was a pretty good demo of its power during our last winter floods here, when a local stream became a raging torrent and tore an old mill race (probably Victorian?) in half, completely uprooting down one side massive stones that must have weighed several tons each & carrying them downstream. Amazing.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024